Thread: Tales of the Chosokabe

Default Tales of the Chosokabe

TALES OF THE CHOSOKABE

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER TWO

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    PREMABLE

Hi all,

I don't really intend to write some high quality literature of an AAR, as many other forum users have done. I’ve really enjoyed reading some of them and don’t think I could match them in terms of quality or imagination. Instead this AAR is written primarily for my own enjoyment... if anybody else becomes interested and gains some entertainment through reading this, then that's just a bonus.

I am not really a hard-core gamer in the sense that I get more enjoyment from a game through creating stories through its glorious victories and tragic defeats, rather than working out how to eek out maximum performance in gameplay by finding and exploiting any holes in the design. With its grand strategy, epic battles and stunning imagery, I can think of no better game for creating an epic story of peace and war, victory and loss, honour and treachery.

However the lack of a comprehensive ‘history-recording’ system within the game (compared with say Football Manager 2011, where you can rewatch all matches and check the professional history of every player) has always really bugged me. What annoyed me even more was how momentous things can take place in Shogun 2 with no mention by the game at all… for example if a clan takes Kyoto, or some legendary character like Uesugi Kenshin is killed. Even the destruction of great clans only merits a pop-up box! It all somewhat detracts from the ‘epicness’ of events taking place. Sometimes after a crucial battle, I can’t even work out if I’ve killed the enemy daimyo (if his army retreats out of line of sight)! This means if you plunge into a campaign, it’s quite easy to forget what happened, and you fail to develop the emotional attachment to units and characters that can make a gaming experience really great. So, for that reason, I intend to write a detailed AAR after each gaming session, to slowly create what I hope will the be epic story of the rise of the Chosokabe Shogunate.

I should point out a few things regarding how I play my campaigns and write my AARsFirstly I play the campaign at ‘hard’, both for the campaign and for real-time battles. I find this gives me the right balance between providing a challenge and not losing the campaign by 1550, which is important given my golden rule of gaming- never save and load. If you can take your turn again each time something bad happens, it totally destroys the dramatic and story-creating side of the game. I want to feel the tension before a crucial battle, the exhilaration of a glorious victory, the despair following a catastrophic defeat.

This leads me to my choice of Clan. I have actually played through quite a lot of the Takeda campaign, also at ‘hard’, although with battles fought at ‘normal’. I found that with the central clans like the Takeda, Oda or Tokugawa, you must overcome a string of crucial battles and make a number of crucial decisions correctly, just to stay alive, losing any battle, or winning one badly in the early stages of your campaign, can be terminal. As I have a strict ‘no-load-and-save policy’, this can be really frustrating. So with that in mind, I decided to start this AAR with my second favourite clan, the Chosokabe, who have a much easier starting position. To make things a little tougher, I will now play battles at ‘hard’… I think I can handle it now, having gained some experience with battles through the Takeda campaign and Avatar Conquest mode.

Another reason for my choice of the Chosokabe is the fact that they will offer a completely different experience to the Takeda and Oda (briefly) campaigns that I’ve attempted. Both the more famous clans favour aggressive expansionism using primarily land forces (indeed the Takeda are landlocked for a long time until they destroy the Uesugi, or turn on their Imagawa allies or the Hojo), this means that I’ve hardly ever fought any naval battles, and only used diplomacy and trade at a very basic level. Having briefly read the excellent guide to Shogun 2 by ‘frogbeastegg’ (http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...-War-Shogun-II), it became clear to me that there was much more subtlety to the Shogun 2 diplomacy, trade and economic systems that I haven’t explored at all. So, hopefully the Chosokabe campaign should provide me with a much more naval-focused economy-developing steady defensive game.

I’ve gone off-topic a bit… here’s the other important bits…

• All the troop numbers quoted in the following AAR will be gamex10. I’m quite obsessed about historical accuracy, and it bothered me that you can conquer Japan with 3,000 samurai. I find multiplying game numbers by 10 gives more or less realistic numbers compared to historical battles of Sengoku Jidai.

• This will be a ‘Long Campaign’, as it gives me the most in terms of ‘turns to objectives’ ratio, and will hopefully give me the time to complete the campaign using the patient economic-trade strategy I intend to employ.

• Unit Size is 'Ultra' and Drop-in Battles has not been enabled (too much variability in difficulty of human opponents).

• I might have a strict policy against turning back time, but I have no hesitations about pausing in the middle of a battle. I would never claim to be a skilled player, and pausing allows me to pull off strategies that my mind formulates but my body would otherwise be unable to implement.

• I will take most battle pictures from replays as opposed to in-battle, this is because I prefer screenshots without the giant floating banners... which are however very useful for gameplay purposes.

• Directions- If you look at the map of Japan on the world map, it is more vertical than horizontal, as depicted in Shogun. However, for the convenience of locating places, I will treat the map of Japan as if it was horizontal, so that Northern Japan in real life, where the Date start off, I will call 'Far Eastern Honshu', for example.

Alright then I think that lays down the background and technicalities, here goes my first Shogun 2 AAR…

The famous Chosokabe 'Black Guards' marching to battle.

Heindrich1988

分久必合,合久必分。
    Last edited by heindrich1988; October 03, 2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Update- Table of Contents

Default Grand Ambitions

Grand Ambitions- The Longest Journey Begins with a Single Step

Chōsokabe Kunichika was finally the master of his own destiny. For most of his life the Chosokabe family, descended from the noblest and oldest Imperial Dynasty of China, had been the vassals of the Ichijo Clan, forced into humiliating subservience by those of inferior blood. The excesses of the Ichijo, their perceived corruption and natural disasters had all combined to ferment a popular uprising in Tosa, which the Chosokabe took advantage of, by siding with the rebels and taking the Ichijo Capital of Kochi in the spring of 1545.

Spring 1545, Chosokabe troops march into Kochi.

Sitting on the ornate throne he had long coveted in the heart of Kochi castle, Kunichika addressed his closest retainers and infant son, the 6 year old Motochika.

“Today the Chosokabe Clan is finally free! Our decades of oppression by the arrogant Ichijo is over! The Chosokabe have stood up! However, let us not relax in our moment of triumph... for we have much to do to honour the memory of our illustrious ancestors… MUCH more!

First we must destroy all that remains of the Ichijo at once! Our shinobi in Iyo report that Ichijo emissaries have been in contact with the Kono Clan, and that the Kono are mobilising... probably to install the Ichijo as their puppet rulers of Tosa, or to otherwise benefit from our conflict with them... The remaining Ichijo forces should be no match for us, and I am confident that we can also overcome the Kono… but combined, they will be a dangerous adversary! So… drink and eat well tonight my men… tomorrow… we march on the Ichijo… we will flush them out of the hills like the rats that they are! We must not allow them to regroup with the Kono!

We are descended from the First Emperor! We are the rightful lords of All Under Heaven! It is our divine right not only to rule over Tosa, or Shikoku, or even all the islands of Japan… no… we are the rightful rulers of the world! Let no Chosokabe man ever refer to Honshu as 'the mainland'... no... all these islands are merely an outpost of our future Empire! OUR 'mainland' is the great continent beyond! Of vast plains, of great rivers, and of mountains that rise to heavens!

Given that we rule only a single castle-town in an insignificant corner of these islands, you may think my ambitions to be fanciful… and indeed I am no fool. I do not expect to see these ambitions to be achieved in my own life-time… or perhaps even that of my young Motochika... but remember... the longest journey begins with a single step!

Not many generations ago, much of the world bar these fortunate islands was dominated by the greatest Empire the world had ever seen. Yet the mighty Empire of the Khans began with the humble conquests of a tiny insignificant nomad chieftain called Temujin.

Am I not a greater man than a simple barbarian chieftan?! Are you warriors not nobler and stronger than uneducated nomads?! What is to say then that we will not conquer all of Shikoku in my life-time? And that young Motochika might one day be Shogun of all Japan? And that his sons might one day rule the an empire that will surpass all that have gone before, uniting All-Under-Heaven with its capital in our ancient imperial city of Chang’an!?

Tosa is a beautiful land my loyal subjects… but think bigger… for we are the Chosokabe! We WILL honour our Imperial ancestry; we are the essence of the Mandate of Heaven! We were born to bring order to this world of strife, we were born to rule over lesser men... and rule we WILL!”

Spring 1545, Chosokabe Kunichika addresses his retainers in the throne-room of Kochi Castle.

Heindrich1988

分久必合,合久必分。
    Last edited by heindrich1988; August 29, 2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Punctuation

Default Tales of the Chosokabe- Destruction of the Ichijo

The Destruction of the Ichijo

SPRING 1545

As dictated by their daimyo, the Chosokabe did not celebrate their victory in Kochi for long before marching out in pursuit of the Ichijo loyalists, who were in hasty retreat to strongholds in North-western Tosa, close to the border with Kono lands. However, slowed by their baggage trains, the Ichijo were caught on only the eighth day of the pursuit, where upon the Ichijo daimyo, Ichijo Fusamoto, chose to make a stand. He had gathered over 6,000 loyalist soldiers from the villages and towns of the region. Although outnumbered by Kunichika’s 8,000 men, he knew fleeing to the Kono without their valuable baggage trains to pay the Kono for refuge would leave him and his retainers at the mercy of the Kono daimyo… who was not known for his generosity. The future of the Ichijo and Chosokabe clans would be settled on the hills North-west of Kochi…

Battle of Tosa Fields, Spring 1545

The Order of Battle

Battle of Tosa Fields, Spring 1545

On a spring day so beautiful it could have been the work of an artist, the Chosokabe and Ichijo clans lined up to face each other in a solemn atmosphere. Chosokabe Kunichika remembered hunting and riding in these very hills in his younger days, before the heavy responsibility of leadership of the clan fell upon his shoulders.

He saw that the Ichijo had formed a strong defensive yari wall formation, with their flanks protected by a wood on their right and a hill on their left. It was clear that the Ichijo were concerned about the threat of superior Chosokabe cavalry. Although he was confident that his men would prevail in either a duel of bows or a frontal assault, Kunichika decided to use guile to prove his legitimacy as both daimyo of the Chosokabe, and Shogun of Japan.

Battle of Tosa Fields, Spring 1545, Inchijo forces in defensive formation.

Splitting his forces in two, the bulk of Chosokabe infantry and cavalry marched in open sight towards the Ichijo lines. At the same time however, a smaller force of bow ashigaru and the famous Chosokabe Black Guard (yari samurai) advanced stealthily towards the hill on the Ichijo left flank, seeking to exploit the Ichijo's plan against them.

Battle of Tosa Fields, Spring 1545- Main Chosokabe forces.

Battle of Tosa Fields, Spring 1545, Hidden Chosokabe forces.

As the Chosokabe yari ashigaru and cavalry advanced, the Ichijo held their positions, oblivious to the advance of the smaller Chosokabe force until they had reached the foot of the hill. Suddenly panic swept through the Ichijo ranks... realising that he had been outmanoeuvred, Ichijo Fusamoto desperately attempted to rescue the situation, first galloping to reach the hill, but upon realising it was already held by Chosokabe Black Guards, he attempted to lead a charge into the Chosokabe ashigaru infantry in the plains, hoping to rout them with a decisive assault and defeat the Chosokabe piecemeal. Unfortunately for Fusamoto, the Chosokabe ashigaru were no peasant rabble, and quickly formed a yari wall to receive the Ichijo cavalry charge, even maintaining their discipline as Ichijo arrows slammed into them and the Ichijo cavalry thundered closer...

Battle of Tosa Fields, Spring 1545, Inchijo cavalry charge straight into the Chosokabe yari wall... they are broken in moments.

With a sickening crunch and the screams of men and horses, the Ichijo cavalry broke themselves upon the well-drilled Chosokabe yari ashigaru. Perhaps more used to chasing down untrained peasant rebels, the Ichijo cavalry were stunned that the enemy actually held their ground. Within moments, with hundreds of their kin dead and dying, the Ichijo cavalry were broken as thousands of Chosokabe spearmen pressed in for the kill. Ichijo Fusamoto barely escaped with his life, knowing that the battle was lost, along with the future of his clan... The most powerful clan in Shikoku would be destroyed under his stewardship...

Meanwhile... even as the Ichijo cavalry were cut to ribbons by Chosokabe yaris, the Chosokabe cavalry rounded the melee and charged straight for the Ichijo bowmen. Hesitant and unwilling to abandon their yari wall formations, the Ichijo yari ashigaru failed to provide support for their bowmen, who were hit by a devastating flank charge led by Kunichika's most valued retainer and Commissioner for War, Kira Masayo.

Battle of Tosa Fields, Spring 1545, Chosokabe cavalry smash into Ichijo bowmen.

With a second troop of Chosokabe cavalry, led by Kunichika personally, bearing down on them, the Ichijo bowmen broke and fled... however, with Ichijo yari ashigaru belatedly rushing in to help their comrades, the Chosokabe cavalry did not give chase and instead withdrew behind the safety of Chosokabe yari ashigaru again.

Seeing their daimyo and bowmen fleeing from the battlefield, the Ichijo retainers desperately attempted to keep order within their remaining ashigaru regiments. Knowing that any hope of rescuing a victory from the jaws of disaster depended on capturing the hill from the Chosokabe troops now positioned upon it, the Ichijo retainers whipped their conscripts forward in a desperate charge on the hill, and were soon met with showers of arrows fired from it. Upon reaching the top, the survivors found themselves facing the massed 'ji' (halberds) of the fearsome Chosokabe Black Guard...

Battle of Tosa Fields, Spring 1545- Inchijo ashigaru brave showers of arrows to charge up the hill... only to find Chosokabe yaris waiting. (Notice the volley of arrows about to fall on the Ichijo)

Despite facing far superior warriors, the vanguard of the Ichijo ashigaru held for a moment, until screams of panic rang out from behind them... the Chosokabe cavalry were charging straight for their vulnerable rear. All order broke down before the Chosokabe cavalry even hit... the conscripts were now far more terrified of the Chosokabe than their brutal taskmasters... they were right to be. Keen to show all of Shikoku and Japan the consequences of opposing him, Kunichika led his cavalry in a ruthless chase until all the Ichijo ashigaru were slaughtered to a man.

Battle of Tosa Fields, Spring 1545, Chosokabe cavalry chasing down fleeing Ichijo ashigaru.

Battle of Tosa Fields, Spring 1545- Trail of Inchijo dead cut down as they fled.

Although the day was won, Chosokabe Kunichika was not satisfied... his hated former vassal lord, Ichijo Fusamoto had escaped... the relentless hunt of the Ichijo continued... they would not be allowed to live to seek refuge with the Kono, and perhaps threaten Tosa again.

Battle of Tosa, Spring 1545, Results

The Slaughter of the Ichijo

The Second Battle of Tosa in the Spring of 1545 could barely be regarded as a battle, as the weary and demoralised survivors of the Ichijo army were caught only a day later just as dusk approached and they hoped that the darkness of night would enable them to slip away into safety.

Seeing that there would be no escape, Ichijo Fusamoto, wracked by the shame of fleeing from battle the previous day, and the loss of Tosa to the Chosokabe, chose to seek some measure of redemption by ending his life in the crucible of battle. Hoping to catch the Chosokabe offguard, and perhaps even kill the hated Kunichika, the man most responsible for his wretched predicament, Fusamoto led his remaining retainers straight for the Chosokabe cavalry and the battle standard of the Chosokabe daimyo...

Second Battle of Tosa, Spring 1545, Ichijo Fusamoto seeks redemption through death in battle. Charging straight into Chosokabe cavalry... his last wish is fulfilled.

Rather taken aback by the courage of the man who had fled in such dishonour the day before, the Chosokabe infantry did not react in time to protect their daimyo... however, scores of Ichijo horsemen were cut down by Chosokabe shafts as they charged whilst Kunichika's bodyguards threw their bodies on the line to protect their daimyo, with dozens killed in the brutal impact of the Ichijo charge, fighting with the desperation and ferocity of men with nothing to lose. However, recovering from the initial shock of the Ichijo charge, the Chosokabe cavalry soon gained the upperhand, as Kira Masayo led his personal retinue in a furious countercharge against the Ichijo. Within a few heartbeats, all the Ichijo horsemen, including the Ichijo daimyo, were dead on the field.

The remaining Ichijo infantry- all bow ashigaru that fled the battle the day before, retreated to the closest hill they could find. They knew that death was coming soon, but perhaps higher ground would allow them to take a few more Chosokabe lives with them... they were wrong.

With light failing, the Chosokabe bowmen advanced in loose formation towards the hill, whilst their cavalry melted into the gloom of the woods. The Chosokabe bowmen then engaged their Ichijo counterparts in an ceremonial duel... but given the range and the gloom, casualties were light on both sides.

Second Battle of Tosa, Spring 1545, Chosokabe bowmen in loose formation engage Ichijo bowmen in bow duel.

Indeed the true purpose of the duel of bows was not to defeat the Ichijo through the Chosokabe's mastery of the bow... instead with the Ichijo distracted... both Kira Masayo and Chosokabe Kunichika led their cavalry retinues around to the rear of the Ichijo bows... they now broke from cover and slammed into the Ichijo before their regimental captains could even organise an about-turn to face the new threat.

Second Battle of Tosa, Spring 1545, Chosokabe cavalry ambush Ichijo bowmen, engaged in a duel with Chosokabe archers.

In mere moments, the Ichijo bow ashigaru were cut to pieces. No prisoners were taken.

The Chosokabe had finally avenge their decades of servitude to the Ichijo. Now... they were truly free.

Second Battle of Tosa, Spring 1545, Results

Our Glorious Daimyo

Chosokabe Kunichika addresses the troops before battle.

Kunichika's loyal bodyguard forged their reputation at the 'Second Battle of Tosa'.

Building the Country

Even as the Chosokabe armies marched out to wipe out the Ichijo, the clan's administrators were busy at work revitalising Tosa Province after decades of misrule by the Ichijo.

Projects started:
    • Improved Irrigation- Tosa
    • Harbour- Tosa

Some points I'd like to make...

Firstly I normally auto-resolve one-sided battles like the second one, but the enemy troop composition lacked any yaris... so I felt I could do better than the AI, and preserving troop strength is important in the early-game.

Secondly my future updates will not be as detailed... this took WAY too long.

Thirdly can somebody tell me how to win heroic victories?! I've seen people achieve it even in balanced battles, and not achieving the kill ratios I've just managed!

Heindrich1988

分久必合,合久必分。
    Last edited by heindrich1988; August 29, 2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Punctuation

Populus Romanus's Avatar Senator
    Redmond, Washington, United States of America

Default Re: Tales of the Chosokabe

Great, +rep & sub

Great work. +rep

Heroic Battles are won when you have a less than 50% chance of succeeding and you cause great damage to the enemy forces but with small amount of a casualties to your side relative to their losses.
    Last edited by Morgan; August 23, 2011 at 02:32 PM.

Truly wonderful! Welcome to the forums btw (judging by the amount of posts, you`re even newer than I am)

This is a really promising AAR! I´m impressed by the amount of effort you put to the "background". I, too try to use my imagination with the campaigns... whenever I remember

You don´t have to cut back on the amount of detail unless you want to, as I said, I was impressed by your efforts
    A lot of the Shogun 2 AARs seem to have died... I really hope that you can pull this trough till the end (Whitch is a rare achievement) but still, this is your AAR and you´ll write it just as long as you like .
    My first +rep goes to you.
    P.S. The Black Guard? This seems interesting... (Too bad that you can´t name your units like in Empire or Napoleon...)
    Proud to be Finnish

Hey guys,

Thanks for the encouragement

Don't worry, I intend to persist with this AAR until the end, whether that's the glorious establishment of the Chosokabe Shogunate, or the bitter destruction of the clan by one of the Great Clans of Honshu.

I do however have a particularly busy week, so although I've played my campaign a few turns into the 'future', I probably won't have time to write it up until the weekend. With the time-consuming style of my AAR, you can expect progress to be slow but steady.

Nordic Hussar:
    I thought it might have been a little too detailed for a casual reader? I've been keeping a 'turnly log' of construction and recruitment, but I feel listing them (like I started above) would start to feel rather mechanical, not to mention tedious. Aside from that, I'll try to persist with the same style.

Take your time, we can all (try to) be patient
    I agree,that "turny log" can start to feel mechanic, but it´s unique. Some people would think it takes away from immersion, while others are interested in what´s happening in your game, so it´s your call.
    Proud to be Finnish

Default The Kono War- Part One.

THE KONO WAR, PART 1

SUMMER 1545

‘Something’s wrong…’ said Kono Michinao, ‘the Ichijo should be here by now…’
    ‘We should advance with haste!’ his son, Yorikata, replied, ‘we don’t need the Ichijo to take Kochi if the Chosokabe are busy fighting them in the hills! The last scout patrol reported no Chosokabe activity in Kochi! It’s an empty fort!’
    ‘No… this could be a Chosokabe trap. You are young and inexperienced, Kunichika is a cautious man, he would not leave his capital defenceless… no, we will make camp here… send messengers to Imabari, ask your brothers to come with reinforcements.’
    Kono Yorikata considered arguing further, but realised it would be both pointless and counter-productive. Father was not a man who appreciated any disagreement, and with many envious young brothers eager to take his place as heir, his interests would be best served by shutting up.

In truth Kochi was indeed an empty castle, bar a few hundred trusted retainers garrisoning the castle to keep law and order in the transition from Ichijo rule. However, had the Kono pressed on, they would indeed also have fallen into a Chosokabe trap. Following the destruction of the Ichijo, Chosokabe Kunichika deliberately suppressed all news of his victory and led his army into a prime ambush site in anticipation of the Kono advance.

However, the Kono daimyo was no fool, and established an encampment just within the borders of Tosa, waiting for the fog of war to lift in the battles between the Ichijo and Chosokabe before deciding on his next move.

Adapting his plan to meet the circumstances, Kunichika used the respite from battle to bring reinforcements from Tosa. Using the treasury captured from the Ichijo, two fresh Chosokabe bow ashigaru regiments were recruited from amongst the tough hunters of the hills of Northern Tosa...

AUTUMN 1545

The days stretched into weeks and into months, and still no news came from the Ichijo... but the Chosokabe had not returned to their castle-town either. It was as if both clans had wiped each other out in the hills. Unsure whether to advance or retreat, the Kono Michinao did neither.

The Chosokabe however, were quietly on the move. Marching only at night along trails known only to the local hunters, they by-passed the Kono forces encamped in the valley below...

This fluff represents my investment in 'strategist' for my daimyo, which allowed me to chase down the Kono army and force a battle.

When they revealed themselves, the Kono found themselves cut off from their supply lines from Imabari by over 11,000 Chosokabe warriors...

For weeks both forces camped on high ground, refusing to commit to battle on unfavourable terms. However, whereas the Chosokabe were well supplied with the spoils taken from the Ichijo, as well as by small mountain routes, Kono supplies dwindled. In the five weeks of stalemate that followed, Kono reinforcements from Imabari could easily have reached their beleaguered main army, however Kunichika now played on the division and cowardice of the Kono brothers within Imabari, spreading false rumours that a Chosokabe force was lying in wait for any reinforcements from Imabari, and that the main army had already been destroyed.

Unwilling to risk his own forces, and perhaps mindful that the 'unfortunate' demise of his father and elder brother would hand power to himself, Kono Kataie kept the troops that could have saved his clan firmly within the walls of Imabari.

As the sixth week of the unconventional 'siege' began, Kono Michinao finally accepted that reinforcements weren't forthcoming. Either they had been destroyed, or his treacherous son never despatched them. Knowing that all hope of survival depended on breaking the Chosokabe blockade, he issued the general advance.

The Battle of Iyo, Autumn 1545

The Order of Battle

The battle he had tried to avoid for much of the Autumn had now been forced upon him. Any further delay and Kono Michinao would begin loosing men to hunger. Although his men were outnumbered almost two to one, and the Chosokabe held a strong defensive position, Michinao did not think the battle was a lost cause. His son, Yorikata, may lack guile, but he was at the age of 22, already an exceptional warrior of some repute. Having fought with distinction against the Sogo Clan of North-eastern Shikoku in the previous year, and slain several of their generals. Led by their daimyo and his charismatic son and heir, the men of the Kono Clan surged forward with enthusiasm and confidence, with Yorikata personally leading the charge.

Battle of Iyo, Autumn 1545, Kono forces charge strong Chosokabe defensive positions.

As the Kono advanced, the bowmen for which the Chosokabe were so famed greeted them with volleys of black shafts, impaling men and horses alike. The Kono pressed on through the storm and crashed into the Chosokabe lines. The Chosokabe were initially sent reeling, as scores of bow ashigaru, misjudging the distance between themselves and the Kono cavalry, found themselves trapped between the Kono and the solid yari lines behind them... many were cut down, and some even impaled themselves on Chosokabe yaris in their desperation to escape the Kono katanas. Despite this, the majority of the Chosokabe bowmen withdrew in order behind the protection of their yari lines, and resumed showering the Kono with flights of shafts.

Seeing a small gap in the Chosokabe yari wall, Kono Yorikata urged his steed forwards, charging into the breach, his eager retainers close behind, cutting into the sides of two Chosokabe ashigaru regiments.

The reputation of the Kono warriors, and the martial prowess of Kono Yorikata, was certainly deserving... Kunichika mused, as the pressure on his yari walls continued to grow. Even though hundreds, perhaps thousands of the Kono were already dead on the field, there was none of the hesitation of the Ichijo ashigaru... these were warriors who were ready to die for their daimyo. And so they shall... With one motion of his war-fan, Chosokabe Kunichika committed his reserves, as the Black Guards rushed forward to engage Kono Yorikata and his retinue.

Battle of Iyo, Autumn 1545, Kono Yorikata, Heir of Kono Clan, leads the charge on Chosokabe lines, but is driven back by the Black Guards.

Although they were expert riders and swordsmen, the long reach of the yari and ji gave the Black Guards a significant advantage over Yorikata's cavalry, who also had to contend with fighting uphill against the Chosokabe elite. With the weakness in Chosokabe lines suddenly becoming its strongest point thanks to the involvement of the Black Guards, Yorikata reluctantly ordered a retreat down the hill, ready to make a fresh charge.

At the same time, Chosokabe Kunichika put into motion his second move... dismounting from their horses, Kunichika ordered his battle standard bearer to hand the Clan Battle Standard to his general, Kira Masayo, along with his own distinctive helmet.
    'Take these and ride out. If the Kono cavalry chase, flee from them, we will engage them together once the Kono infantry have been repelled. If they do not take the bait, destroy their bowmen at the foot of the hill, and then charge their main forces in the rear. Victory will be ours!'
    Kira Masayo punched his chest in acknowledgement and kicked his steed forwards, his retinue following closely behind, as nearly 400 Chosokabe horsemen raced down the hill, the Clan Banner fluttering in the wind. At the same time, katanas drawn, Chosokabe Kunichika led his retinue, now on foot, crashing into the already hard-pressed Kono infantry.

Battle of Iyo, Autumn 1545, Kira Masayo leads half the Chosokabe cavalry off the high ground.

The Kono took the bait. Although Michinao did not know whether or not the Chosokabe daimyo were leading his riders, the capture of their iconic banner would be a humiliation for the Chosokabe and a great boost for the Kono.
    'RIDERS... WITH ME... CHARGE!'

Both Michinao and Yorikata's retinues peeled away from the infantry they were supporting and stormed after the Chosokabe cavalry, who fled at pace, refusing to give battle.

The Kono daimyo leads his cavalry, racing after Kira Masayo and his retinue, depriving the Kono infantry of crucial support.

Back on the hill, the Kono infantry, who had fought on doggedly against the odds, now began to waver. Most did not know why their daimyo and cavalry suddenly left them. Slowly but steadily, their numbers began to thin and superior Chosokabe numbers began to tell.

Kono infantry desperately trying to break through the Chosokabe yari wall... shorn of cavalry support and the leadership of their daimyo and heir, they are soon routed.

As the Kono infantry began to break and fall back down the hill, the Kono cavalry closed in on Kira Masayo and his men on the plains. The superior warhorses of Awa, from which the Kono imported their steeds, were gaining on the horses of Tosa.

Kono Cavalry beginning to catch Chosokabe diversionary cavalry.

As Kunichika's plan threatened to backfire on him with the possible loss of his most important retainer, he jumped back on his horse and led his retinue, also riding the horses of Awa, racing down the hill to rescue Masayo and his men.

Kunichika was a little surprised when a small section of the Kono cavalry peeled off from their main force and moved to intercept him... then he realised it was Kono Yorikata and his famed warriors. Though less than half of them remained after the bloody battle for the hill, and they were outnumbered two to one, the Kono riders showed no hesistation as they slammed into the personal guard of Chosokabe Kunichika with terrible force. Several horses and men were killed by the sheer impact of collision, before the two sides went to work with their katanas.

Battle of Iyo, Autumn 1545, a vicious cavalry battle breaks out between the retinues of Chooskabe Kunichika and Kono Yorikata.

Meanwhile, seeing his daimyo in danger, and that he was long longer outnumbered by his pursuers, Kira Masayo turned his horse sharply around, issuing the order to meet the Kono daimyo and retinue's charge with their own...

As often with the clans of Japan, the personal guard of the daimyos were often not the best warriors of the clan, but rather the retainers he could trust the most, given the political power of daimyos and the threat of assassination. This was the case for both the Kono and the Chosokabe.

As Kunichika's men struggled to overcome a force of men half their size, Kira Masayo fared much better against the Kono daimyo in a battle of even numbers. Hacking men from their horses left and right, Masayo slew his way towards Kono Michinao... the enemy daimyo underestimated the warriors of Tosa. It was the last mistake he would make.

The decapitated head of Kono daimyo was tied onto the Chosokabe Battle Standard, now stained with the blood of a daimyo, Kira Masayo led his men into the fray against Kono Yorikata, still cutting a path through Chosokabe bodyguards.

The Last Stand of Kono Yorikata

His arm was heavy... his breathing staggered, and he was covered by blood... some his own, some Chosokabe. Kono Yorikata desperately fought towards the Chosokabe leader, though he wasn't sure if the man was their daimyo, given how desperately the Chosokabe retainers put their lives on the line to protect him, he must have been important. Suddenly a great roar erupted behind him... another Chosokabe cavalry unit was thundering towards him and his remaining men...
    'WITH ME BROTHERS!' he roared defiantly...'Let's...'
    Yorikata fell silent, his heart sank... upon the Battle Standard of the Chosokabe, his father's head was swinging like a lantern in the wind.
    The shock seemed to freeze him temporarily, and before he could recover, the force of a charging Chosokabe horse knocked him to the ground. His instincts taking over, Yorikata rolled, and as he rose, slashed the forelegs off another charging Chosokabe horse, sending the rider flying. He side stepped another rider and slashed him across the thigh, opening a gash large enough to ensure the man will die from blood loss. However, his increasing fatigue began to tell, as his men fell around him one by one. As he fended off blows from one Chosokabe horseman, another slashed him from behind... staggered, Yorikata wasn't ready as Kira Masayo charged in, taking Yorikata's head clean off with his katana. Arguably the most renowned warrior of Tosa was dead, and his slayer would take his his crown. In one battle, Kira Masayo had decapitated the leadership of the Kono Clan, both politically and literally.

Battle of Iyo, Autumn 1545, Results

The power of the Kono Clan was broken. Although around 1,000 Chosokabe warriors were killed or wounded, more than 10,000 remained to march on Imabari. Just over 2,000 Kono survivors, seeing their daimyo and his heir dead, finally put down their arms. Some pledged allegiance to the Chosokabe and were transferred to Tosa for training and re-organisation, some paid the Chosokabe for their freedom. Those who did neither were executed, or allowed to commit seppuku if they were of the samurai class.

In truth I chased down the survivors and destroyed them in a second auto-resolved battle, but I always thought it was quite unrealistic that defeated armies of ashigaru never just desert or surrender.

Building an Empire

Projects started:
    • Lumberyard- Tosa
    Mastery of the Arts: Bushido

Some notes:
    • I will mention the beginning of infrastructure projects, but not their completion. You can assume I did not cancel anything unless otherwise mentioned.
    • I will mention the completion of Mastery of Arts.
    • I will not mention troop recruitment, as you can see that roughly anyway from troop compositions in battles.

分久必合,合久必分。
    Last edited by heindrich1988; August 30, 2011 at 06:41 AM.

Default Re: The Kono War- Part One.

Nice update!

That was a really good battle description , too bad that the text doesn´t fit completely to the page... (You have to scroll the page left and right to see all of the text.) Still, good work.

Edit: It happens only when the large pictures are unspoilered.

By the way, I couldn´t see this picture, it showed just the text:
    [IMG]Kono infantry desperately trying to break through the Chosokabe yari wall... shorn of cavalry support and the leadership of their daimyo and heir, they are soon routed.
    http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596946618086239058/A8C41BE7965AF88BA2E975DC02F27EB1EE4E00FC/[/IMG]
    Last edited by Nordic Hussar; August 29, 2011 at 12:40 PM.
    Proud to be Finnish

Default Re: The Kono War- Part One.

Hey... both problems solved, I think... forgot to add 'spoilers' to that picture, and accidentally included the caption within the image url.

Thx for reading

Default The Kono War- Part Two

The Kono War- Part Two

WINTER, 1545

The Victory over the Kono left Chosokabe Kunichika with a dilemma... He was keen to pile on the pressure onto the Kono and press on to Imabari, but winter was closing in fast and exposure could kill hundreds or even thousands of men, weakened by a year of constant battle and marching. After consulting with Kira Masayo and his other generals, Kunichika emerged from his command tent to address the Chosokabe army...

'My brave men... what a year this has been!! When we welcomed the Year of the Serpent as the snows melted in spring, our clan faced a desperate battle for its very survival, with the Ichijo threatening to destroy us for our support of the people of Tosa, who perished in their thousands through starvation and misrule, whilst the Ichijo drank warm sake and dined in their palaces and gardens...'

A murmur of agreement swept across the ashigaru ranks... many remembered the bleak winter of the Year of the Dragon, which was supposed to be a year of plenty, but instead, backbreaking taxes and a devastating typhoon drove the people to desperation. Normally obedient peasants rose up in revolt and refused to give up their meagre koku stores to pay for Ichijo palaces. Many thousands were slain by the soldiers of the Ichijo clan in the early weeks of the revolt. Winter gave them some respite from their oppressors, but robbed of basic rice supplies, and with many villages burnt to the ground by Ichijo soldiers, thousands more died of hunger and cold during the winter, with tragic stories abound of peasant families selling their daughters to richer merchants for a small bag of rice. As the snows melted in spring, the ragged survivors rose up once more... but this time, the Chosokabe Clan, rich of heritage but long in vassalage of the Ichijo, joined them, and gave the people the organisation and military steel to achieve victory and oust the Ichijo from Kochi.

'Now!...' Kunichika continued... 'instead we have destroyed not only the Ichijo, but also dealt a crippling blow to the Kono, who backed and financed the Ichijo, and tried to reimpose Ichijo rule over Tosa! Now is the moment of our victory! Winter is coming again... but so is the death knell of the Kono Clan! I say that we can brave this winter, warm with victory in our veins! Let us march on Imabari and tear down the castle of the Kono! Who's with me?!'

A defiant roar ripped through the massed ranks... Kunichika had them... these men would die for me... what more could a daimyo ask for...

Building an Empire
    • Roads- Tosa
    SPRING 1551

The winter could have been worse, but warmth of victory could not prevent hundreds of men from dying of exposure in the harsh wilderness on the march to Imabari. Like most daimyos worth their salt, Kunichika was well-conversed in the Art of War by Sun Tzu, but it was from the philosophy of Kongzi that he derived the most insight in the governance of nations and the leadership of men. Now he put his learnings into practise...

Despite the temptation to favour his samurai with the provision of supplies in such conditions, Kunichika ensured that shelter, where found, was shared fairly between those of samurai class and ashigaru class. Although this might have caused resentment amongst the more traditional amongst his samurai, who lost men like the ashigaru to the cold, it was well received by the lower classes, who formed the bulk of the army. The shared suffering, from the senior clan retainers to the lowest ashigaru, created a solidarity and shared purpose in the army that transcended the classes, creating unity from adversity.

Losses to attrition were significantly reduced upon arrival in the vicinity of Imabari. Although Kunichika forbade the commandeering of civilian houses for shelter, he was able to pay for the use of several nearby villages to act as Chosokabe bases of operations, as well as shelter from the cold. However, he was to be disappointed to learn that despite marching through the bitter winter, the Kono, led by their new young daimyo, Kono Kataie, had already amassed nearly 10,000 men within the walls of Imabari.

With less than 10,000 men surviving the march to Imabari, it became clear that no easy victory could be achieved with a direct assault. So calling for reinforcements from Tosa, the Chosokabe dug-in and laid siege to the castle-town...

The Siege of Imabari

SUMMER 1546

The chill winds of winter gave way to the cherry blossoms of spring, and then the increasingly oppressive heat of summer... weeks turned to months and the siege of Imabari continued. It is not known what Kono Kataie hoped to achieve through this persistence as hundreds and then thousands of his soldiers and townsfolk began to die of starvation. Perhaps he hoped that the Sogo, or more likely the Miyoshi, might come to his rescue, to avoid the emergence of a major power in Western Shikoku... If Kono Kataie sent messengers, there was little sign of any reply.

In the meantime, aside from reinforcing his troops and keeping them supplied in Iyo, Kunichika had his administrators in Tosa begin expanding the harbour to a full trading port. The Chosokabe of all clans knew that there was a world beyond these islands, and securing scarce resources from foreign lands, as well as maritime trade with other clans, could provide the clan with the necessary wealth and influence to make a bid for the Shogunate.

By the late summer, it finally dawned on Kono Kataie that no help would be forthcoming... although the Miyoshi were mustering a large army in Awa, reliable shinobi reports indicated that they were in no rush to aid the Kono. Just as he had abandoned his father and brother to the Chosokabe, Kono Kataie had now been abandoned by Kono vassals outside the capital and as well as the clans of Eastern Shikoku. He had to give battle now before hunger further depletes the strength of his men and seals the fate of the Kono Clan.

The Miyoshi Clan musters troops... but for what purpose?

The Battle of Imabari, Summer 1546

The Order of Battle

In many ways, the Battle for Imabari was similar to the Battle of Iyo the previous Autumn... a desperate Kono army was forced to attack a superior Chosokabe force defending strong defensive positions on high ground. The key difference perhaps, was that this time, there would be none of the subtle ruses of diversion, retreat and counterattack. This time, with four regiments of Chosokabe bow ashigaru raining death on the Kono, Chosokabe Kunichika was content with simply holding his lines and allowing the Kono to break themselves against it.

Not knowing what else he could do, Kono Kataie ordered a general advance on the Chosokabe, and as is customary when facing the Chosokabe, the Kono were met with a storm of black feathered Chosokabe shafts.

Kono troops advance in the face of volleys of Chosokabe shafts.

In an attempt to outflank the Chosokabe bowmen, Kono Kataie leads his cavalry on an attack on the Chosokabe right flank, but find themselves ambushed by hidden Chosokabe yari ashigaru, protecting the bowmen...

Kono Kataie is intercepted as he tries to outflank the Chosokabe bowmen.

All along the line, the well-drilled Chosokabe bowmen edge backwards whilst the Chosokabe infantry, led by Kunichika and his dismounted retinue, charged downhill to engage the Kono. Simultaneously, Kira Masayo led his retinue in a frontal charge against Kono Kataie, in support of already-engaged yari ashigaru. A vicious melee broke out across the front, whilst bowmen on both sides are engaged in a deadly duel, with the Chosokabe overpowering the Kono in terms of numbers and accuracy.

Kono and Chosokabe troops engage in vicious hand to hand combat.

Brutal melee envelopes the frontline...

With thousands of men dead and dying, the Kono begin to waver, and their spirits are all but shattered as Kira Masayo, the Slayer of Kono daimyos, raised the severed head of Kono Kataie for all to see, before flinging it, by the hair, into the mass of Kono ashigaru and retainers. The waver becomes a retreat off the hill, which degenerates into a desperate rout, with hundreds, perhaps thousands, cut down by the Chosokabe as they fled.

With Imabari Castle in the background, the fighting will of the Kono is broken.

Many are killed as they fled the Chosokabe onslaught.

Over 6,000 Kono men lay dead in the field, with 'only' around 1,500 Chosokabe warriors killed or wounded. The Battle for Imabari was effectively over, along with the future of the Kono Clan.

Results

Mastery of the Arts: Way of Attack

AUTUMN 1546

Ironically, despite the death of another daimyo and the loss of so many men, fewer mouths left to feed meant that the survivors could persist for longer. Incredibly, with a courage Kunichika could not help but admire, the young Kono Masatoyo, instead of surrendering in the face of impossible odds, took on the leadership of his clan at the tender age of 14, declaring that Imabari shall be held until every last Kono warrior was dead. Whilst his brother, Kataie, had taken power dishonourably by leaving his father and elder brother to their deaths. Masatoyo had done so so that his clan maybe remembered for its honour and courage. It was too late for him to save his clan, but he would at least save their place in history.

As much as Kunichika admired the spirit of the new Kono daimyo, it was not enough to spare the Kono. Two weeks after the battle on the hills outside Imabari, and with his men resupplied and reorganised, Kunichika finally gave the order to storm the castle-town. The Battle was short and bloody. The majority of Kono soldiers were too hungry to even shoot a bow straight or swing a katana. Still, they took ovr 400 Chosokabe lives before each and every Kono retainer and loyal ashigaru was silenced.

Auto-resolved battle

Immediately upon taking Imabari, the Chosokabe received the official surrender and pledge of loyalty from Kono vassals across Iyo. In the main, they were rewarded by being allowed to retain their domains. In fact the Chosokabe even pumped money into their new province to expand Iyo's harbour into a trading port, and repair Imabari Castle, damaged by 9 months of siege. Unlike the Ichijo, the Kono were relatively popular rulers, and Chosokabe Kunichika was determined to prove himself a fair and just ruler to justify his legitimacy. There would be no cronyism and bias in favour of Tosa in the allocation of funds and development of infrastructure, or the level of taxation... all Chosokabe territories would be treated equally.

With Iyo firmly in Chosokabe control. All of Western Shikoku flew the black and white flag of the Chosokabe. In the North-east, the Sogo Clan, former allies of the Chosokabe in the days before the Chosokabe were dominated by the Ichijo, sought trade and re-establishment of old allegiances with the Chosokabe. In Awa and Awaji however, the Miyoshi continued to muster their troops....

Coming Soon: Game of Kanji

分久必合,合久必分。
    Last edited by heindrich1988; August 30, 2011 at 07:03 AM.

AWESOME!!! Keep it coming! +rep

Populus Romanus's Avatar Senator
    Redmond, Washington, United States of America

fantastic!

Default A Game of Kanji

A Game of Kanji- Part One

WINTER 1546- SPRING 1547

The purpose of the Miyoshi military build-up was revealed in the winter of 1546. Although their daimyo, Miyoshi Momoe, was not a particularly ambitious man, content with the security of his own domains, two events forced the Miyoshi into action... The first was their military setbacks on Honshu, with the Hatekayama defeating the Miyoshi in Settsu, significantly weakening the clan and depriving them of a strategic province within striking distance of Kyoto. The second of course was the rise of the Chosokabe in Shikoku. It did not take a genius to work out that with the Ichijo and Kono destroyed, the Chosokabe would surely turn their attention to Awa and Awaji, threatening the independence, if not the survival, of the Miyoshi Clan.

To compete with the Chosokabe, the Miyoshi needed to restore the balance of power on Shikoku, and that meant conquering Sanuki province and either destroying or subjugating the Sogo, a clan traditionally friendly with the Chosokabe. Ideally Miyoshi Momoe wished to move sooner, before the Chosokabe conquered Iyo, but the losses in Settsu had to be replaced before the Miyoshi went to war again. By the winter of 1546, Iyo had fallen to the Chosokabe, but the Miyoshi were finally ready to strike... Taking a leaf from Kunichika's book of tricks, the Miyoshi army marched out in the winter, led by their veteran general, Rusu Lezane, hoping to catch the Sogo unprepared... They did.

The Sogo, expecting an invasion in the spring, were still reinforcing their defences at Hoshikoshi Pass when the Miyoshi struck. Although the Sogo fought valiantly and inflicted thousands of casualties on the Miyoshi, their army was encircled and virtually destroyed in the brutal and short battle. The Sogo daimyo, Sogo Nobumasa, only barely escaped with his life. As the snows began to melt in the lowlands of Shikoku, Takamatsu, the capital of the Sogo Clan, was poised to fall.

Takamatsu poised to fall to the Miyoshi

In the magnificent throne room of Imabari Castle, where the Kono daimyos once ruled over Iyo, Chosokabe Kunichika sipped his tea, whilst studying the Kanji board laid infront of him intently. Facing him was young Motochika, his face a mask of concentration, as he tried to work out the patterns of the game and outwit his father. Kunichika smiled slightly, at just 8 years old, young Motochika was already good enough to make him have to work for his victories, and although the boy still made mistakes, they were becoming less common and less costly. Most encouragingly, Motochika no longer played stones in response to Kunichika... instead he now had the intelligence to plan ahead, mislead and plant traps for his father. Sometimes, they even worked. Heaven was not kind enough to give Kunichika many sons, but at least the one he did have seemed to be developing into a very worthy heir to the Chosokabe Clan.

'My lord...' Kira Masayo interrupted, 'the Sogo emissary is still waiting outside... he has been kneeling there since daybreak!'
    'Not to worry General Kira', Kunichika replied casually, 'I will give him what he wants, but not so easily.'

The Sogo were desperate to renew their alliance with the Chosokabe. Following their defeat by the Kono nearly two years ago, they had been vassals of the Kono in all but name, which gave them protection against the more powerful Miyoshi Clan. The fall of the Kono gave them independence, but also left them at the mercy of the Miyoshi, who were strong enough to administer Sanuki without the assistance of the Sogo at all. Hoping to take advantage of historic goodwill between the Chosokabe and Sogo clans, the Sogo emissary, Sasaki Kotaru, arrived in Imabari mere days after the fall of the castle-town. However, he had been denied a reception with the Chosokabe daimyo for weeks, as the situation back home continued to worsen. Having promised his daimyo, on his life and that of his family, to return with a Chosokabe army to save Takamatsu, Sasaki Kotaru was getting increasingly desperate, and now resorted to kneeling infront of the palace everyday, refusing food and drink, to beg for an audience. So far, he has continued to be ignored.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Motochika my son, why do you think I am ignoring that Sogo man outside? Do you think I am rude or dishonourable?' Kunichika asked.
    'No father, it's common sense.' Motochika replied, 'Our army is exhausted and in no shape to fight again so soon after the Siege of Imabari. The men needed a rest after almost two years of war.'
    'Good, that is one reason yes. Anymore?'
    'Yes father... If we defeated the Miyoshi with the Sogo as equal allies, then we would have to share the spoils of victory as equals. However, if the Sogo are defeated by the Miyoshi, as they just have been, then they would be desperate for our aid at any price.'

Kunichika burst into laughter. Turning to Kira Masayo, 'If I were to die tomorrow, the Chosokabe will be in good hands with a daimyo as wise as Motochika and a general as strong as you! Right... the time has come... bring in the Sogo emissary.'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sasaki Kotaru prostrated himself before the Chosokabe daimyo. The fate of his family and his clan depended on the mercy of the man now sat on the throne before him.
    'Apologies honoured emissary... I have been awfully busy since the fall of Iyo. There was much to arrange with the collection of taxes and the redistribution of land, not to mention pockets of resistance in the countryside.' Kunichika started.
    'Honoured daimyo. The Sogo Clan and the Chosokabe have deep bonds of friendship that stretch back before even the Onin War. We have stood shoulder to shoulder against the Miyoshi before... and we must again if we are to hold back the naked aggression of the despotic Miyoshi!' Sasaki Kotaru spoke with the confidence of a trained emissary, his face a mask of controlled genuineness.
    'So... you wish me to send my warriors to fight and die to protect the Sogo... when our alliance seemed to mean little when the Sogo abandoned us to the Ichijo all those years ago?' Kunichika replied, testing the emissary.
    'My lord! Our honoured daimyo, Sogo Nobumasa deeply regrets the cowardice of his great-uncle... But he himself is a far greater man. He understands the importance of honour in the lives of samurai. He will be the most faithful ally of the Chosokabe Clan! I beseech you honoured Lord! If the Chosokabe do nothing, Takamatsu will fall! And then... you will have to face the strength of the Miyoshi alone... they already control the warhorses of Awa, the fine stone of Sanuki would make them even richer! Only our combined forces can defeat the Miyoshi!'

Finally the Sogo emissary got to the key point...
    'Nonsense!' Kunichika slammed his fist into the side of his throne. 'How dare you presume the strength, or lack of, of my armies! We can easily defeat the Miyoshi, with or without the Sogo!'
    'My apologies honoured lord! I mispoke...' The emissary's mask was broken... now pure panic took over. Kunichika smiled in satisfaction. He was always going to save the Sogo, but not on their terms... and 'breaking' the emissary was satisfying revenge for the past treachery of the Sogo.
    'A greater man forgives his inferiors... and I will forgive your insolence.' Kunichika stood and addressed the emissary formally. 'Go back to Takamatsu and tell your lord that a Chosokabe army will march for Sanuki in 7 days.'
    'Thank you honoured lord! ... but... I fear that the Miyoshi will reach Takamatsu first even if your armies set off now... 7 days is not a delay we can afford!' Sasaki pleaded.
    Kunichika laughed... 'Do not worry emissary... Sanuki will be saved... but of course, we would except payment to fund our expeditionary force, unless you want my men to take what they need from the towns and villages of Sanuki as they pass them.'
    'Of course payment will be arranged... but... I don't understand... how can you save Sanuki if your army cannot reach there before the Miyoshi?'
    'You are dismissed emissary. Just arrange for the payment and we will deliver our side of the bargain...'
    Sasaki Kotaru thought better of arguing any further.

Terms of Agreement.

Heindrich1988

分久必合,合久必分。
    Last edited by heindrich1988; September 05, 2011 at 01:51 PM.

Default A Game of Kanji- Part Two

A Game of Kanji- Part Two

SPRING 1547- WINTER 1547

As the Sogo emissary retreated out of earshot, taking care to not turn his back to the Chosokabe daimyo until out of sight, Kunichika turned to young Motochika.
    'So son, that emissary was right... the Miyoshi are 10 days march at most from Takamatsu... even if we force-marched our army over there now, the Miyoshi could easily take the castle-town before we get there... so can how I honour my promise to the Sogo?'

Motochika thought for a moment, stumped... 'I thought you already sent troops on the way before meeting the emissary... don't you intend to honour the treaty?'
    'Haha! You nearly answered my question correctly! But it looks like you still need to study the works of Sun Tzu more closely... Yes of course I will honour the treaty... dishonour may win battles, but it will lose the war. But as I said... your answer was almost correct... All of Shikoku now knows that we have renewed our alliance with the Sogo and pledged to save Takamatsu. Given how our armies ghosted around the Kono for months last year, any sensible man would suspect that our armies were already on the move, and perhaps hidden around Takamatsu already, to ambush the Miyoshi... Now, if you were the Miyoshi general, what would you do?'
    'I would advance cautiously...'
    'Exactly! And a cautious advance is a slow advance... it will give us plenty of time to reach Takamatsu.'
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As he promised the Sogo emissary, the Chosokabe army marched for Sanuki 7 days after the signing of the treaty. However, instead of taking the highway, the Chosokabe army left the Imabari in the dead of night and melted into the wilderness. Kunichika also arranged for the barracks to be garrisoned by civilians, and fires lit at night to give the impression that the army hadn't left at all. He knew that any Miyoshi shinobi worth their koku could see past the deception- they were meant to. The Chosokabe's 'attempts' to hide their troop movements only reinforced Miyoshi fears that the Chosokabe had moved, and given that the castle-town looked virtually the same before and after they left... who knew when they left?! Yes some Miyoshi shinobi accurately reported the departure of the Chsokabe army 7 days aftyer the sigining of the treaty... but who was to say whether those shinobi had not been bribed by the Chosokabe to provide misinformation?! More than anything else, Chosokabe Kunichika denied the Miyoshi the most important asset in war- information.

Chosokabe Kunichika rapidly gaining a reputation as a master of stealth

Rusu Lezane was a competent and experienced general, but the Chosokabe army had disappeared again, like they did before they ambushed the Kono in 1545... he got seemingly random reports of their movements all over the place... in Sanuki, in Iyo, in Tosa, or even... alarmingly, that they were marching on Awa! Some were genuine reports by Miyoshi shinobi, but any correct information the Miyoshi general received were drowned out by a flood of misinformation... And so, without a single Chosokabe soldier ever spotted in or around Takamatsu, Chosokabe Kunichika delivered on his promise to save the castle-town, the threat of their possible presence was enough to prevent the Miyoshi from even advancing within striking range of Takamastu, fearful of Chosokabe ambush.

Facing such an enigmatic foe, the Miyoshi general, Rusu Lezane, attempted to defeat the Chosokabe at their own game. He too ordered his army to melt into the hills and mountains of central Shikoku, marching under the cover of darkness and the wilderness, feeding the Chosokabe misinformation regarding their intentions... The deadly serious real-life game of Kanji persisted all year, as the snows melted on all but the tallest of mountain peaks, the cherry blossoms flourished and died, and the leaves turned red and the snows fell again. Several times the two armies met, but never the main forces. The Miyoshi achieved some small tactical victories... In the summer a small Chosokabe force was lured, by false information, into the deep forests on the southern coast of Shikoku, to intercept a reported Miyoshi incursion into Tosa. Over 3,000 men ended up being deployed into the wild jungle in the insufferable heat of summer. They found no incursion, but hundreds of men were lost to disease and heat stroke in the tropical weather.

However, the Miyoshi were the first to make strategic blunders... In the autumn the newly established Chosokabe fleet, crewed by skeleton crews and using scarecrows to give the impression of ships packed with soldiers, sailed unmolested along the coast of Awaji, drawing thousands of Miyoshi troops to the island from Awa, in defence of an amphibious invasion that never came. At the same time a Chosokabe army was reported marching in the hills along the borders of Iyo and Sanuki. Rusu Lezane was convinced that this was the main Chosokabe force, and determined to catch the Chosokabe in a decisive battle away from their Sogo allies, the Miyoshi army sallied from their mountain hideouts in Southern Sanuki to attack the Chosokabe, who retreated in haste, leading the Miyoshi in a fruitless chase through the hills.

The Miyoshi think they have ambushed the Chosokabe army... they've merely taken the bait.

After nearly a year of ruses and counter-ruses, the Miyoshi had made a crucial mistake... with their main force of around 30,000 men fruitlessly chasing ghosts in the hills, and the Army of Tokushima, a formidable force of 8,000 men, pointlessly guarding the insignificant island of Awaji, the Miyoshi capital was dangerously exposed. It was now that Chosokabe Kunichika and his army emerged from the shadows... they had already infiltrated into positions in the hills of the Sanuki-Awa border. With the Miyoshi armies now several weeks away in the wrong directions, the Chosokabe made their move. Almost 15,000 Chosokabe soldiers descended on Tokushima...

The Chosokabe finally emerge from the wilderness... at the gates of Tokushima!

The battle for Tokushima was swift and decisive. First some 1,500 Miyoshi reinforcements from the countryside around the town were destroyed piecemeal as they attempted to reach the castle-town. Seeing this, the cowardly Miyoshi Momoe surrendered Tokushima without a fight. He was rewarded with an early retirement under house-arrest in Kochi. At the cost of only 370 men killed or wounded, the Chosokabe had taken the capital of the Miyoshi Clan, and fully asserted themselves as the masters of Shikoku... well... almost.

The Miyoshi daimyo might have surrendered and his capital lost, but the Miyoshi were not defeated. Rusu Lezane committed seppuku to atone for his dishnourable failures, but his brother, Rusu Yasuyri, took over command of what was still a huge army. Running low on supplies, the new Miyoshi Commissioner for War did the only thing he could... He had to recapture Tokushima before his army, still the largest and strongest in Shikoku, disintegrates due to desertion and hunger... he had to recapture the koku stores of Awa...

Building an Empire

Although a low-intensity war of sorts was being waged in eastern Shikoku, the relative peace of the West gave the Chosokabe much needed time to carry out vital infrastructure improvements across their domains. Sake dens were constructed across Iyo, providing relief to appease the people, some still harbouring longing loyalty for their former Kono masters. Of course, sake dens provided useful tax koku for the clan too. At the same time, the highway between Iyo and Sanuki were improved, to encourage commerce and trade between the Chosokabe and Sogo.

In addition, although the battle for Shikoku was far from over, the Chosokabe were already preparing for expansion beyond the island. The petty Ichijo burnt the proud fleets of Tosa as they retreated from the coasts... now the shipyards of both Tosa and Iyo worked non-stop, building a new merchant navy to bring wealth and prosperity to Shikoku and the Chosokabe Clan. In support of this endeavour, and to produce fine wood for export, work began on sawmills to maximise production in Tosa.

Diplomacy- The Game of Daimyos

Winter 1547, Lands Beyond Shikoku

Clan Colours (Not including those on Shikoku, which should be clear anyway):
    • Blue- Shoni
    • Light Grey- Ouchi
    • Dark Grey- Amako
    • Red- Mori
    • Light Green- Urakami
    • Dark Green- Hatekayama
    Almost as soon as the first Chosokabe ships took to the seas again, they made contact with the clans around Shikoku. Attempting to secure trade relationships, and make their presence known to the world beyond Shikoku. To the north of Shikoku, in the western Honshu, it seemed that the Urakami had become the dominant power, whilst on Kyushu, the Shoni were dominant.

Although Chosokabe Kunichika preferred dealing with the Urakami instead of the infidel Nanban-worshipping Shoni, the ambition and arrogance of the Urakami daimyo made any cooperation impossible. Establishing relationships with the other clans seemed pointless until their situations became clearer... would the Hatekayama win their war against the shadowy Hattori? Who would triumph in the conflicts between the Mori, Amako and Ouchi?

Given the lack of suitable allies on Honshu, Chosokabe Kunichika was forced by necessity to negotiate with the Shoni, the dominant power on Kyushu. Although Kunichika was not a particularly devoted Buddhist, he regarded the Shoni's worship of the gods (or was it God? he wasn't sure) of the Nanban as disgraceful and weak. Sooner or later, the Shoni had to be confronted, but for now, Kunichika was pragmatic enough to see the value of a non-aggression pact and trade agreement with the Shoni.

To reinfoce the credibility of the pact, a Shoni princess was married to a Chosokabe senior retainer. Of course the Shoni preferred the match to be with Kunichika himself, or Kira Masayo, but the princess of a lowly clan such as the Shoni, especially given their treacherous beliefs, was unworthy of either the daimyo nor his favourite retainer, even as a concubine...

Agreement made with the Shoni

Mastery of the Arts: Way of the Bow (Winter 1547)

Random Notes:
    • My decision to invest in 'Stealth' for my daimyo is a typical example of my prioritisation of gaming experience over gaming 'performance'. I personally think ambush battles are more or less useless because it barely gives the ambusher an advantage. However, having played dozens of campaign battles with the Takeda, it always annoyed me that I couldn't fight night battles at all. So for the sake of variety, and to fit the theme of the AAR, I will invest in the Stealth skills for Chosokabe Kunichika until he can fight night battles.
    • All the 'fluff' in this update isn't totally made-up... the lack of information appeared to cause mistakes by both myself and the Miyoshi. I thought I saw glimpses of Miyoshi troop movements in southern Shikoku, and sent 2 ashigaru units to guard the mountain paths between Awa and Tosa (None died though). My entry into the war somehow discouraged a direct Miyoshi attack on Takamatsu, even though my army could not have reached the town in time to aid the Sogo, and I did manage to lure the main Miyoshi army west-wards with a single ashigaru unit, opening up Tokushima for easy conquest.

Heindrich1988

分久必合,合久必分。
    Last edited by heindrich1988; September 05, 2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Corrections.

Default A Game of Kanji- Part Three

A Game of Kanji- Part Three

SPRING 1548

Chosokabe Motochika stood on tip-toes and strained his neck to watch the sight of the Chosokabe army drilling in the courtyard below. He was standing upon the battlements of the tenshu of Tokushima Castle. For the first time ever, his father had taken him on his campaigns, and Motochika buzzed with excitement. A retainer came with a stool for him to stand on, and he watched in fascination as blocks ashigaru and Black Guards practised below, oblivious to the boy's attention.

The Chosokabe Army drills before the Miyoshi attack (yes, this is actually battle footage)

The battle hardened Chosokabe army was sight to behold. Unlike the conscripted ashigaru rabble of most clans, the Chosokabe ashigaru moved with the discipline of samurai, distinguishable from the Black Guards that trained beside them only by differences in equipment and uniform. This should be no surprise, as the Chosokabe ashigaru were no conscripts... Although the clan was now rich enough to conscript large numbers of peasants if need be, Chosokabe Kunichika remained faithful to the clan's traditional recruitment policy, which had a history of over 1,000 years, originating from the chaos of strife and war on the mainland.

All Chosokabe households were divided into two broad categories- agrarian/mercantile and military. Peasants were granted more land to farm, expected to pay taxes, but otherwise allowed to keep any profits made, enabling some to become successful merchants and land lords. Meanwhile military families had smaller allotments of land, which were only enough to be self-sufficient in peacetime, but were exempt from taxation. In addition, they were obliged to train at least three months a year, and provide at least one male of military age per household in times of war. In this way the sons of military families knew their purpose from birth, and military experience and expertise could be passed from father to son, generation after generation, concentrated in the same families. Often young recruits who had never seen a clan drill sergeant was already an accomplishment bowman or spearman from his practise at home.

The men of military families endured a hard, and often brutally short life, but to encourage loyalty and dedication, and to promote a culture of meritocracy, only the men of military families could rise to the status of samurai, who were essentially soldiers who had proven their loyalty and prowess in battle. Far more than any other clan, the status of samurai was more achievable through credit, and more easily lost through dishonour or failure. In this way Chosokabe ashigaru were the superior of any except perhaps the Oda... and in an age where ashigaru were increasingly important in war, it was perhaps no surprise that the Oda and Chosokabe clans would rise to prominence in the 1540s and 50s...

As he watched ashigaru bow regiments practise shooting volleys from the battlements at imaginary attackers, Motochika was joined by his father on the battlements...

Kunichika looked at his son and wondered if he had made a terrible mistake... Although he expected continued resistance from Miyoshi loyalists, particularly those based in Awaji, he had thought that the main Miyoshi army, trapped deep in hostile territory in the bitter winter, would likely disintegrate. Instead Rusu Yasuari, brother of Rusu Lezane, had done a remarkable job of keeping his beleaguered army together given the circumstances. This was partly thanks to his brother's stockpile of rations which enabled him to feed his army through the harsh winter until they returned to Awa and received the support of local insurgents and loyalists. Despite the loss of several thousand men to the winter cold and desertion, over 21,000 Miyoshi men still remained to march on Tokushima in the spring. Thankfully, 8,000 more Miyoshi troops were prevented from joining Yasuari's army by the Chosokabe navy, blocking the Naruto Straits. Even so, what was supposed to be an opportunity to show Motochika the basics of managing a routine campaign against Miyoshi insurgents, had turned into a crucial battle for survival. As the Miyoshi army neared, Kunichika wondered if it would be prudent to send Motochika back to Kochi before the town was totally cut off... but was the hostile countryside really safer than staying in Tokushima?... His mind was made-up...

The drills were stopped abruptly by the beating of the Daimyo's Great Drum. With little instruction, the army swiftly formed into neat ranks behind their regimental standards, ready to receive the address of their daimyo.

'My brave warriors!' Kunichika began, 'Over 20,000 Miyoshi warriors are coming for us... the countryside that we pacified in the winter is hostile once more... it is too late to retreat... but why would we?!!'
    Kunichika continued, his voice booming across the courtyard, 'The entire granary of Awa has been relocated within the castle... the Miyoshi have no choice but to storm these walls or face starvation by the end of the month! And so it is on these sturdy walls that the Miyoshi built where we still shatter the Miyoshi clan!'
    Kunichika hoisted Motochika into view, noticing how much heavier the boy had grown,
    'This time, you fight not only in the presence of your daimyo, but that of your future daimyo! Some of my councillors say that I am mad to risk the safety of my heir and only son in Tokushima... but I say, there is no risk! For you men can face down the legions of hell! And we face merely mortal men! I say... Let them come and face their death!'
    A defiant roar rang out across the courtyard as thousands of katanas, yaris and bows waved in the air, and the army of the Chosokabe chanted their praise to their daimyo and his heir...

The Battle of Tokushima, Spring 1548

The Battle of Tokushima, The Order of Battle

As expected, with supplies running low, the Miyoshi began their assault on the Tokushima Castle soon after arriving at the town. In the end, the battle was relatively simple... Attacking from the south and the west, the Miyoshi advanced rapidly on both sides, whilst the Chosokabe rapidly repositioned their forces to reinforce the wall at the focal points of the enemy advance.

The Main Miyoshi attack force.

As the Miyoshi advanced within range of the Chosokabe bows, they were met with volleys of lethal shafts...

... but with plenty of bowmen in their own ranks, the Miyoshi returned murderous volleys at the Chosokabe, showering the defenders with arrows...

Arrows falling on the Chosokabe defenders

However, relatively protected by the battlements, the Chosokabe bowmen began to win the upper hand in the deadly duel of bows. Worse still for the Miyoshi, their inexperienced yari ashigaru lacked both the skill and courage to carry out a concerted assault on the walls... each time a group made it on to the battlements, they were swiftly slaughtered by the Chosokabe...

In desperation, with his men dying by the thousands, Rusu Yasuari personally led the second wave against the walls... At this crucial moment, the Chosokabe cavalry, led by Kira Masayo and Kunichika himself, sallied forth to rout the Miyoshi bowmen...

Kira Masayo sallies forth at the head of the Chosokabe cavalry.

Kunichika joins the attack on the Miyoshi bowmen, shattering their resistance.

With the Miyoshi bowmen finally silenced, the Miyoshi assault on the walls collapsed. Unwilling to retreat and suffer the dishonour of defeat, Rusu Yasuari was killed in a suicidal last stand on the battlements of Tokushima Castle...

Rusu Yasuari died fighting for the castle where he was born

Many thousands of the Miyoshi lay dead at the foot of Tokushima Castle

The Battle of Tokushima, Spring 1548, The Results

The Battle of Tokushima in the spring of 1548 was the bloodiest the Chosokabe had experienced since their revolution and independence, with over 4,000 men or killed or wounded. In the course of a few brutal hours, thousands of fresh recruits became hardened veterans, and hardened veterans became harder still. In a few brutal hours, Motochika, although only watching from the battlements of the tenshu, understood the cold reality of war. It was no longer just a game of stratagems and ruses, tricks and tactics... in battles... real people died... many people. Although Chosokabe losses were heavy, the Miyoshi suffered much worse, with over 20,000 men dead in the field. A few hundred ragged survivors, their spirits completely broken, fled wherever they could, having seen enough war to last a life-time.

Some 8,000 Miyoshi loyalists remained in Awaji, but the power of the Miyoshi clan was broken. At the cost of thousands of Chosokabe lives, and tens of thousands of the lives of their enemies... the Chosokabe Clan had finally united Shikoku along with their Sogo allies. Although the independence of the Sogo was not ideal... Kunichika was satisfied for now. The Sogo were useful trading partners and were clearly the junior partner in the alliance. Their official vassalage or destruction can wait until the Chosokabe finish off the Miyoshi and establish a foothold on Honshu or Kyushu...

Coming Soon: The Phoney War

Heindrich1988

分久必合,合久必分。
    Last edited by heindrich1988; September 05, 2011 at 06:41 PM.

Great updates
    I really like your writing style, and the way you name updates and different sections (Building an Empire, The Game of Daimyos etc.) Cool names!

Also, great job with the whole ashigaru-land ownership-part. It´s nice to know that the people in the Chosokabe Empire are governed justly
    Proud to be Finnish

Thanks Nordic Hussar,

I've tried to achieve a compromise in terms of detail and 'readability', so I've deviated from the turn-by-turn structure used at the beginning (this is also because without battles every turn, sometimes very little happens in a season!). Splitting things into categories helps me to tell the primary story more organically, without worrying about including all the important details in it.

As for the governance fluff... I'm a bit of a history geek, so I'll take this opportunity to explain the reasoning behind the fluff I've used in the AAR.

With a few exceptions (Stalin), all the great leaders of history who founded empires were very 'good' to their own people (not so much their enemies...) I guess it's possible to rule through fear, but it's easier to forge loyalty and encourage dedication through admiration, respect and love. Hence I've tried to portray the Chosokabe as ruthless, ambitious, but fair and just... i.e. qualities necessary to succeed in Sengoku Jidai.

I'm a British Chinese, so I've always been interested in East Asian history especially, and the military system I described was more or less based on reality from the Northern Wei Dynasty, and later the more famous Tang Dynasty of China. The system provided a middle-way between a sustaining a large standing army (extremely expensive) and a small standing army relying on mass-conscription to bolster numbers in crises (unreliable and ineffective, especially against nomads, who were feared like demons by Chinese peasants). The story of Mulan incidentally (made into Disney movie), which you might have heard of, arises from the situation where the male member of the family is unfit for military service, so Mulan takes her father's place instead to face the Xiongnu/Huns (nomad ancestors of the Mongols).

The story also highlights the problems with the system... to prevent people from simply excusing themselves from military service with any random excuse, it was very strictly enforced, so often the ill and weak were forced to enlist in the army, and often wouldn't even make it through training. Also, as a mid-way solution, it's more costly than simply using conscripts, and limits the size of the army. Finally there's the obvious problem that it locked men into careers they aren't necessarily best suited for.

Another point to make is that I've tried to avoid using the term 'Chinese' and 'Japanese' (not always possible), which are relatively 'modern' concepts. This is because at that time, there wouldn't have been much distinction. People might have had an ethnic label, like 'Han, Hui etc', and called themselves the citizens of countries, (Ming, Choson etc). However the idea of China, Japan and Korea as the three distinct civilisations and peoples of East Asia didn't exist. They all used a similar text (based on Classical Chinese) and they all spoke differently (i.e. Chinese people had different spoken languages across Ming 'China' and spoken Chinese wasn't standardised until the Communists took over in 1949). My point is that there was little reason to differentiate between the civilisations and cultures, and the differences between people, from the western 'Chinese' city of Xi'an to the far Far East of Edo (Tokyo) in 'Japan' would have been a spectrum of change, as opposed to three distinct categories. Hence the concept of 'Mandate of Heaven' gave legitimacy of rule over 'All Under Heaven', and not just China.

As the Chosokabe Clan claimed descent from the First Emperor of 'China', who first created the terms 'Emperor' and 'All Under Heaven' and laid the foundation for the 'Mandate of Heaven', it would be logical to assume, that if the clan had been capable, they would have tried to conquer Ming China based on the 'Mandate of Heaven'. In fact the Chosokabe Clan did participate in the Imjin War, in which the newly united (almost) Japanese took a 'time-out' from their civil war and invaded Korea, with the aim of conquering Ming China.

See... I've just used China, Japan and Korea multiple times... when the Chosokabe samurai sailed for 'Korea', he wasn't thinking 'I am a Japanese samurai, I am going to defeat the Koreans so that we can conquer the China'. He was thinking, 'I am a Chosokabe samurai from Tosa, we are going to defeat the Choson Dynasty, so that we can conquer the Ming Empire and All Under Heaven.'

Hey great AAR, just started reading it so far im enjoying it. I have a question though, what is the picture from on the first post? the one called 'The famous Chosokabe 'Black Guards' marching to battle'? it looks aweseome lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast