Thread: Large stone walls

Default Large stone walls

Should I even bother with them?
    I mean:
    *The enemy won't use ladders but only siege towers, so no advantages.
    *Siege towers are far more lethal
    *AI will sap more? (not sure)

Or did EB change this?
    Last edited by MemnonOfRhodes; August 21, 2011 at 09:53 AM.

Entropy Judge's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Large stone walls

Ideally you won't be defending cities terribly often, and Ladders are easier to defend against than Towers anyway, so if you build Stone Walls, I'd suggest only using the lower size.
    I beat back their first attack with ease. Properly employed, E's can be very deadly, deadlier even than P's and Z's, though they're not as lethal as Paula Abdul or Right Said Fred.
    ~ Miaowara Tomokato, Samurai Cat Goes to the Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy Judge View Post
    Ideally you won't be defending cities terribly often, and Ladders are easier to defend against than Towers anyway, so if you build Stone Walls, I'd suggest only using the lower size.
    The ballista towers don't outweigh the disadvantages?
    If I remember correctly from RTW,the Ballista towers could knock out some towers and rams. (or was that MTW2? )
    Last edited by MemnonOfRhodes; August 21, 2011 at 10:34 AM.

Durnaug's Avatar Campidoctor

Are the larger stone walls worth building for the law bonus?

Quote Originally Posted by Durnaug View Post
    What's the %?

Entropy Judge's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Ujio View Post
    The ballista towers don't outweigh the disadvantages?
    If I remember correctly from RTW,the Ballista towers could knock out some towers and rams. (or was that MTW2? )
    The Regular Stone Wall Towers are capable of dealing with Siege Towers as well, and since Stone Wall STs are a good deal less dangerous than Large Wall STs (quick edit: I think ... I'm actually not sure at which level the upgraded Siege Towers come in. end edit) .... Actually, here are the relevant stats for Stone Walls and Large Stone Walls, from the EDB:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Wall
    capability
    {
    wall_level 2
    tower_level 1
    gate_defences 1
    gate_strength 1
    }
    construction 6
    cost 3200
    settlement_min large_town
    upgrades
    {
    large_stone_wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Large Stone Wall
    capability
    {
    wall_level 3
    tower_level 1
    gate_defences 2
    gate_strength 2
    law_bonus bonus 1
    }
    construction 10
    cost 6400
    settlement_min city
    upgrades
    {
    epic_stone_wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic Stone Wall
    capability
    {
    wall_level 4
    tower_level 2
    gate_defences 2
    gate_strength 2
    law_bonus bonus 2
    }
    construction 12
    cost 12800
    settlement_min city

So the difference - defense-wise - between Stone Walls and Large Stone Walls is only at the Gate, not the Towers. It's only with the (Unbuildable, IIRC) Epic Walls that you get increased performance from the Towers.

There is the Law Bonus - 5% - which means that they aren't useless, but all things considered there are better things to build first. Build more worthwhile buildings first, then - after you have nothing better to build and have the money - upgrade your Walls.

Personally, I'm playing a Sweboz game ATM, so the only Stone Walls I have are those I take from my enemies (currently, Eburonum and Camulosadae are the only Stonewalled cities I have). As a Celtic faction, I build Stone Wall in important Cities and leave Wooden Walls to the rest.
    I beat back their first attack with ease. Properly employed, E's can be very deadly, deadlier even than P's and Z's, though they're not as lethal as Paula Abdul or Right Said Fred.
    ~ Miaowara Tomokato, Samurai Cat Goes to the Movies

The thing is that Sardis is under constant siege, so I wondered if it would be any good to upgrade the walls.
    But I think I will stick with the small stone walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Durnaug View Post
    Yes. All law boni are worth it in the long run. However given the price and the late availability of large walls, the law bonus of those walls is more a tool for keeping up public order in large cities than for increasing your income (unlike law-giving temples, for example).

Also, you can work around the siege tower problem by either initially placing your troops at the foot of your defensive towers (as close to the wall as possible) or by just installing the fan-made fix which reduces the firepower of large siege towers from "preposterous" to "somewhat realistic".

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ujio View Post
    The thing is that Sardis is under constant siege, so I wondered if it would be any good to upgrade the walls.
    But I think I will stick with the small stone walls.
    As people have said before, due to the OP siege towers, a large or huge wall will oddly make the settlement harder to defend.

IIRC you can edit the siege tower missiles in descr_engines.txt, it's a pretty straightforward mod.