Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CATW - Suggestions and comments

cocobongoclub-DJ's Avatar Père fourmois

Default CATW - Suggestions and comments

SUGGESTIONS, IDEAS AND COMMENTS

Here you can submit all your ideas and proposals around the mod, comments and campaign impressions, asking for specific improvements, etc...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Under the Noble Patronage of Agisilaos
    CATW Modeller skinner since 2006, now retired - Proud grandfather of Classical-Age Total War, the ancient world in 300 bc...
    http://www.ancient-battles.com

jerusalem_13's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Suggestions and comments

amm where is the link is it released

I'm just about to publish the link for the very last version (with a fully new and working AOR) on the download and installation page (not created yet)
    you can already pick-up the latest one (july) in my sig...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CATW Modeller skinner since 2006, now retired - Proud grandfather of Classical-Age Total War, the ancient world in 300 bc...

Whole , coco, this mod is incredible! Thanks for all your efforts, friend!
    Click on my sig and check out my modelling works! Your opinion is welcome!

Downloaded some hours ago... its awesome!!! Perfect units.. Everything is very nice good job

Thanks guys, always sweet to hear
    But a mod is not only units or graphical environment. The biggest part (the most difficult and frustrating) is still coding.
    The next release, i hope, will bring to the campaigns a wider range of strategic choices.
    There's a boulevard for improvements : Some examples : traits and ancilliaries, scripted campaign, etc.
    3d models are not lodded or not have a proper sprite. Less a problem than four years ago, as a result of the computing capabilities major increase.

Hi, this looks a great work. Congrats. Is there a campaign map screenshot?

medievaldude's Avatar Senator

Gratz on the sub-forums, i'll add on later ... the Selecid cataphract unit looks very great one more barracks till Thorakitia Argyaspidai
    Last edited by medievaldude; August 24, 2011 at 06:42 PM.

Ductus Exemplo
    Fas est et ab hoste doceri !
    He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot will be victorious.
    Treat your men as you would your own beloved sons. And they will follow you into the deepest valley.

Yup.
    The Royal Barrack and the Royal Arsenal were the only non-vanilla buildings in catw since a year or so... They are not cheap as you can understand...
    For more information, only the macedonian and egyptians could built the royal arsenal, which unlock many huge warships like the famous tesseracontere and the "20", monsters at sea, but of a real dubious military use...

I'd love to see a Batavian or a Frisian faction instead of the Bellovacii.

That would be fine, but i would have needed some realistic local units, to do a true specific faction, not celtic nor germanic... BTW Batavians and Belgians are somewhat closely related...

debux's Avatar Senator

Wait, is there still development on this mod?

Great! I thought it had died out. I can't even remember which was the version that I had tried out.
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

Not on the faction, at least for the moment.
    The development is done just by me, so it takes the time i can spare for it.
    That's why it is sooooooooooooooooo slow.

Quote Originally Posted by cocobongoclub-DJ View Post
    Not on the faction, at least for the moment.
    The development is done just by me, so it takes the time i can spare for it.
    That's why it is sooooooooooooooooo slow.
    Well, i have spare time to help you, but my modding knowledge is very basic

Well, that's fine, there's light through recruitment office door, just get in
    Do you have heard about traits and ancilliaries ?

debux's Avatar Senator

Why not use a T&A system that has been already created? Is it absolutely necessary to make everything from scratch? Because someone might have already done something quite similar to what you want to have in this mod
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

Quote Originally Posted by cocobongoclub-DJ View Post
    Well, that's fine, there's light through recruitment office door, just get in
    Do you have heard about traits and ancilliaries ?
    Oui,( mon français est bon, oui, oui ) Yeah, I can change them/create them from scracht

I could not wait to get this mod going after I checked out the factions/campaign map. Finally a mod that addresses the issues to RTW/RTW mods, that I always wanted to be addressed - more factions in the areas of Gaul/Germania and Thracia/Dacia for a more realistic and historical struggle for supremacy in those areas and more detailled military tech trees for the barbarian factions.

But then I got the bad news - small unit system ala 8-25ish men per unit. Why you have to do this to me?
    This looked like the perfect mod for me and then the most disturbing thing in RTW modding that I could never get used to. Those unit sizes just look awkward and dont feel right - both in the campaign and obviously even more in the battle map view. I never got past the first hour with mods that use this seizing system. Is there any chance you will make an alternate release with regular unit seizing or are there thoughts about using a different system?

Edit:

I just realized that I could potentially change those number myself in the export_descr_unit file?! Would that work?

Edit:

Just found out that unit sizes can be easily edited through the preferences file by potentials. Forgive me my lack of knowledge on what is probably the most basic of modding knowledge ^^
    I am proud of myself anyway lol - cant wait for it now, hope it works engine/graphics wise
    Last edited by nitececil; September 01, 2011 at 01:41 PM.

The latest version is on contrary at max units in prefs file.
    You need to launch a new campaign in order to have this parameter working. You can also change this in the general option page without living the game : In Options/video/custom/unit scale and then choose "huge".
    I am playing on this level to have at least 225 men per unit.
    Elites are fewer. For example at this rate, Gallic champions (Cavaros) are only 47.

My actual struggle is to have a well-balanced EDU, and somewhat longer battles. In my Illyrian campaign, a Thracian basilikon hetairoi wiped out five units of axemen and swordsmen, one of experienced spearmen, three light cavalry units, my general unit, and still have enough men to strike me on the back and rout no less than six others which were trying to deal with a single Odrysan elite romphaiorioi unit, perhaps 20 men against 1200...

In a previous battle, i wiped out a hetairoi unit with a single slingers unit which was well placed in a high, rocky ground with a single spearmen unit to defend their back... I must say however that the AI cannot deal properly with units well entranched in an unpassable rocky high grounds. Sinhuet modification doesn't seems to cope with that (but at the same time hetairoi have cuirasses but no shields)...
    (this Lysimachus thracian army was besieged and only had four units).

Quote Originally Posted by debux View Post
    Why not use a T&A system that has been already created? Is it absolutely necessary to make everything from scratch? Because someone might have already done something quite similar to what you want to have in this mod
    Well, it's preferable of course, to use one already existing, but the work on it would be anyway to makes it fit (for example the romans brutii are now illyrians, and the romans senate, Boians), and to find really culturally specific traits and ancillaries. So it's even more a research work than pure modding... Perhaps i would search towards XGM-XC ?

Oui,( mon français est bon, oui, oui ) Yeah, I can change them/create them from scracht
    Ok, i send you a PM for details, welcome on board (et si tu parle français en plus c'est parfait)^^...
    Last edited by cocobongoclub-DJ; September 04, 2011 at 05:12 AM.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast