Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Better than rome?

The beserker's Avatar Civis

Default Better than rome?

The title says it. Do you think that medieval 2 total war is going to be better than rome total war and is it going to work on many PCs?

Newvision Games
    Newvision games is a friendly team working on a game called holy war, we accept any people whatever their religion and whatever their nationality, we are in need of artists at the moment so if you are talented click on the link.
    The Studio Tokyo! preparatory school for boys
    StudioTokyo.co.uk
    Member and Defender of F.A.I.T.H

Saradomin rocks
    Zammy sucks

Im going paintballing on saturday!!!!!

Final Frontier's Avatar Just roaming around

Default Re: Better than rome?

Hm, well, Rome for me defines the perfect strategy game, albeit its bugs/AI "errors." M2TW is supposed to be a nicer looking, "improved" version of RTW, so I will probably still find Rome the most enjoyable. I think that this game will be able to run on my PC, for the reasons I just stated and because my comp is good enough to handle most current games.

Happiness is a warm gun... | "Only a life lived for others is worthwhile." -Albert Einstein
    Bang bang, shoot shoot...19| Under the patronage of therussian
    | "I couldn't resist."

Tostig's Avatar -

I think that I'll have to wait until I've played it before making any evaluative decisions. :yes
    Garbarsardar has been a dapper chap.

AI will almost certainly still suck ass in single-player mode, just like RTW. Only multiplayer games will be of any value or interest, and the engine-improvements mean they will, of course, be better. AI really is the **** in the sauce for any tactically complex RTS, and Total War is very complex, with many possible combinations and manoevres. No AI is up to the task of matching a human in it.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

krazykarl's Avatar Tech Monkey

I am planning on getting a new PC anyways, so I am eager to get as much eye-candy in the game as high end hardware can handle. My p4 3ghz is getting religated to becoming a fileserver, although if they released a standalone server program akin to those that ship with FPS's I would make it a total war server. And of course it will be better, I have seen only a very few PC titles (Deus ex 2 and Red Faction 2 come to mind) that are technically inferior to thier predecessors.
    -There is no Overkill
    -Apathy causes the least amount of conflict with stupid people

Check out my Guide to creating webpages
    Under the patronage of Incinerate_IV

Drunken's Avatar Semisalis

Well, aside from the obvious of it looking better, MTW2 should be better, although thats based on the idea that they learn from their mistakes (AI ect).

I should think the specs shouyldnt be too steep, if they were many people couldnt play, although I suppose people could always just turn the settings down.
    But im not sure how things like that work. Do they design it to work on computers that people own now, or do they design it to work on things that are predicted to be available at the time they release it. For example, do they make the graphics good enough that a graphics card released 6 months from now could take best advantage of it...
    "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings"

carl-the-conqueror's Avatar Centenarius

It should work on most computers because CA wouldnt make much more money on it.and it should be a more efficient game, RTW:BI had better graphics than RTW but still had lower specs.

If the AI in M2TW is going to be fixed than there is no doubt that M2TW is better than RTW

Peace.........

_GunneR_'s Avatar Civis

In what way i ask? overall? I'm sure it will be it's an improvement on Rome they are going to get rid of the good things in the game

It's hard enough for me to remember my own opinions without remembering my reasons for them.
    CyberNations - The Best Internet Game Ever!

well so far CA has improved every games so far in the total war series and i dont see this one being an exception. Also CA has said before that if you can run rome u should be able to run M2:tw ( but it might look as pritty as some of the pics being released now)

MTW2 will only be better than Rome IF it's moddable.

The skins look insane and each unit has 4 models. This means more work, longer waits, and less talent able to mod.

I waited a long time for EB. I suspect any worthy mod for MTW2 will come in about a thousand million years. Open beta, tac on another billion for full release.

Rome sucks in many ways, but at least we have a healthy modding community.

The complexity of this game may drastically cut the amount of modding talent able to work on the game.

Yeah, we should go back to Civ 2 graphics, then we could mod it easily.

Quote Originally Posted by The beserker
    The title says it. Do you think that medieval 2 total war is going to be better than rome total war and is it going to work on many PCs?
    It will require better hardware than RTW, of course. And: it'd better be beter than RTW! From what I've read and seen it's on a good road to beat RTW!

MTW2 will only be better than Rome IF it's moddable.
    Not necessarily, if vanilla is satifying enough we won't need mods.
    RTW:BI had better graphics than RTW but still had lower specs.
    ...and lower framerate.

M2TW is supposed to be a nicer looking, "improved" version of RTW, so I will probably still find Rome the most enjoyable.
    I don't quite understand why the presumption that M2TW will look nicer and be an improved version of RTW will make you prefer Rome?!
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by The beserker
    The title says it. Do you think that medieval 2 total war is going to be better than rome total war
    err. It's better be.

I think that it is not too difficult for a game based on the same engine as RTW to be better. Later versions of a game - even if set in a different time period - should be improved as developement has had more time. So yes, I think MTW 2 will be better than RTW if just for that reason. In fact, CA do sound like they are doing much to use experience from RTW for their new game, so this might also add to the challenge ahead.
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

From the pictures that CA has given, I will say the graphics look a bit better than Rome. The rest needs to wait until the game comes out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

I think RTW was only a partial improvement on MTW. MTW had better AI, more realistic and fun battles, better unit balence and combat stats, not to mention civil wars and marrage politics. But rome looked good. If M2TW goes in the same trend we're going to end up with PONG updated with gloss textures.

But still, I will withhold judgement. It's way too soon to tell.

Someone made this analogy:

STW was ok, but MTW was a crowning achievement, since they knew how the engine worked and what was needed.

They expected that it would repeat itself here - RTW would be in the place of STW, introduing the new components of a new engine and an attempt of attracting a new population of players, and MTWII Will do the same. It shall not be perfect, but it will likely be better.

and also CA should know the hit and misses of the last medievil game soi hopefully they can make a true sequel ( and not just a sequel to rome)

Rhone's Avatar Civis

Personally i think that the setting alone of medieval europe will give the game an advantage over RTW. The medieval era offers a wider variety of units and factions to include in the game, and the context of medieval europe is without doubt the perfect place to set a game of this type.

The problem with RTW as far as i was concerned was that i found it hard to engage with the historical setting. For example, my imagination was not captured by the military machine that was rome and its legions. In MTWI i would derive huge pleasure from subduing the barbaric scots and slaughtering the arrognat french, yet in RTW the historical rivalries were alien to me, and the aspect of emotional engagement was lacking.

I found RTW to be without the romance and historical gravitas of MTWI, which i suppose is merely a matter of taste. While i acknowleged that RTW was in most ways a technically superior game, I found myself wishing that CA had just stuck with the medieval format.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast