Thread: Generals

Default Generals

Hi there, congratulations on a fantastic mod! I really am enjoying this so far, i enjoy the economic challange as well as the emphasis on infantry, which makes the battlefield a new challange.

I had two questions about generals/governors.

Firstly, my governors seem to pick up negative traits for taxation and trade, dometimes for public order too. This can be frustrating as it can be difficult to set up your economy early on, a few bad traits or a few bad traits can really help/ hinder. I set taxes to v.low to encourage population growth but seem to get lots of "poor with taxes" and "fiscally inept".

What can i do to stop these bad traits? Is the mod blood, broods, bastards comatible with this awesome mod?

Secondly, i find that generals, family members and governors have a high mortalty rate on the battlefield. They live longer while in the sheild wall but they often die way before their bodyguard has really suffered losses!

Is there a way to improve their survival or should i try to limit their use in combat?

Many thanks for your help!

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Default Re: Generals

Quote Originally Posted by Rikokrates View Post
    Hi there, congratulations on a fantastic mod! I really am enjoying this so far, i enjoy the economic challange as well as the emphasis on infantry, which makes the battlefield a new challange.

I had two questions about generals/governors.

Firstly, my governors seem to pick up negative traits for taxation and trade, dometimes for public order too. This can be frustrating as it can be difficult to set up your economy early on, a few bad traits or a few bad traits can really help/ hinder. I set taxes to v.low to encourage population growth but seem to get lots of "poor with taxes" and "fiscally inept".

What can i do to stop these bad traits? Is the mod blood, broods, bastards comatible with this awesome mod?

Secondly, i find that generals, family members and governors have a high mortalty rate on the battlefield. They live longer while in the sheild wall but they often die way before their bodyguard has really suffered losses!

Is there a way to improve their survival or should i try to limit their use in combat?

Many thanks for your help!
    If you put a general in a town with an Armourer (i don't know if he has to be governor or not) he will get better armor like "mail haubergon" and stuff like that so I would recommend doing that.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiđinn Veđr: Total War

Captain Zoran's Avatar Ducenarius

Read this guide for better understanding how to use and apply generals and govenors. It helped me ALOT after the first time I read it.

As for a quick answer to you, the good/bad traits that comes and effects governing, usually derives from:

A Your current wealth. If you have really low amounts of money for a longer period (goes faster if you have negative wealth in your treasury), your generals will get "moneysaving" traits, where they learn to harnest money efficently and live unluxurious lives, which also decreases the risks of being bribed. However, some of these traits also has an + to squalor, which makes your cities develop slower. This goes the other way too, if your wealth is above 50.000 for some turns, your generals, depending if they have already have good/bad traits, might get the "Moneyspending traits". These traits decrease the taxcollecting ability of your govenors, increases the building costs and risk of being bribed. It does however sometimes give an - squalor, which will increase your population growth, ergo generating more income.

B The taxlevels. Setting taxes to "low" is an smart way of increasing your population fast, which will generate more income and upgraded cities later. This is an very crucial thing long-term, but in the immediete start, you will need money in order to build up your forces and defences. "Low" taxes have a chance of giving your govenors said traits, while "very high" taxes have the chance of giving oppesite traits. The balance between the two is "normal" and "high", which have an higer inclanation of going either way, alas not to such an high percentage chance.

C Prescence of Educational Buildings and Markets/Merchants guilds. The prescence of an educational building have an certain percantage chance of generating "educational traits" and ancilleries, which generally is very good for your govenors. Remember though, that your generals/govenors only can accumulate these traits during their youth, as in 18-25 years old roughly. The better the educational building, the better percentage chance of gaining the educational traits. The same goes for markets. Having undeveloped markets has a chance of giving your govenors "traiding liability" traits, which decreases the income gained from trade. Having high tier markets, does the opposite. A merchants guild increases these percentage chances, scaling of course with higher tiers of the guild.

Wow, became quite an post after all. If I forgot something, please add to it someone who has better knowledge than me Good luck to you!

EDIT: Fixed the link!
    Last edited by Captain Zoran; August 19, 2011 at 03:17 AM.
    The friendly neighbourhood hobo with a shotgun of Westeros: Total War, bringing the Game of Thrones to life!
    Check out my new LOTR fan(tastic) fiction here: The Accountant's Trial

Celtichugs123's Avatar Senator

The reason for the mortaliy is due to a bug - one we can't fathom - that the General will remain in combat even if the General's Unit is withdrawn or routs. They also seem to move away from it's unit during combat, not remaining close to his bodyguard.

Thanks, Celtic
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

“For myself, I find I become less cynical rather than more--remembering my own sins and follies; and realize that men's hearts are not often as bad as their acts, and very seldom as bad as their words.”
    - J.R.R Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zoran View Post
    Read this guide for better understanding how to use and apply generals and govenors. It helped me ALOT after the first time I read it.
    Thanks alot for the tips! This will surely help me out! I assume this guide is useful for all M2TW mods?

Quote Originally Posted by Celtichugs123 View Post
    The reason for the mortaliy is due to a bug - one we can't fathom - that the General will remain in combat even if the General's Unit is withdrawn or routs. They also seem to move away from it's unit during combat, not remaining close to his bodyguard.

Thanks, Celtic
    I am now playing as the Danes, i noticed that i suffer fewer mortalities. Is it possible that the bug is something to do with Wessex as i was using them when i first noticed that the generals were always dying! BTW i am glad it is a technical issue and not my playing style!

Celtichugs123's Avatar Senator

Nah, mate. It is found with every faction - or atleast I've and early beta testers found it. That said, it personally found it to happen more often with any Anglo-Saxon faction. Try experimenting with other factions, go back to Wessex see if it happens again etc.

Thanks, Celtic
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

“For myself, I find I become less cynical rather than more--remembering my own sins and follies; and realize that men's hearts are not often as bad as their acts, and very seldom as bad as their words.”
    - J.R.R Tolkien

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

The bug seems to happen with dismounted generals in any mod. I think it's because without a horse the general a) staggers and b) hasn't the mass to push out of the crowd. I've also seen it with individuals from units.
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Thanks alot for the tips! This will surely help me out! I assume this guide is useful for all M2TW mods?
    Glad to be of assistance

And yeah pretty much, they have the basic outlinings for the traits+percentage chances anyways. Then different mods might temper abit with percentage chances, or add/remove traits. I belive there was a submod in TATW that prevented characters from gaining "bad traits", like alcoholism etc, and I think that with alittle tweaking that it can be implemented in most other mods. Such small alteration or bonuses from traits might be mixed abit in different mods.
    The friendly neighbourhood hobo with a shotgun of Westeros: Total War, bringing the Game of Thrones to life!

As a possible fix would it be possibel to replace the rally ability with the shieldwall ability? I noticed that when in a shieldwall the general tends to squeese himself into the middle.

As a possible fix would it be possibel to replace the rally ability with the shieldwall ability? I noticed that when in a shieldwall the general tends to squeese himself into the middle.
    You might want to have schiltrom instead if youre that eager to protect your general. That way he'll be protected 360 degrees from all harm... Except a stray arrow maybe.