Thread: Re-adding the Psioli

James the Red's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re-adding the Psioli

I think I read somewhere in this forum that this mod had Psioli units but then they were later removed or something. (I don't have this mod yet)

Can they be re-added? Here is my reasoning.

In Wlesmana's LOTR TW mod (I think I remember at least, its been a while since I had Alexander), there are some low tier units for some factions that are available, but later on are no longer trainable in a settlement after the barracks gets upgraded to a certain level. The reasoning is that the AI cannot spam these certain low level units if it cannot train these low level units at all when its settlements get too advanced.

Im thinking that maybe you might consider re-adding the greek Psioli units, but in a similar fashion.

Like, give the Greek factions Psioli skirmishers, but when the barracks gets upgraded to the level that proper Peltasts can be trained, the Psioli skirmishers disappear from recruitment from that settlement.

This will allow less developed settlements more unit diversity and you wont see much of them after the beginning part of the game. Save for like, Bandit armies and stuff.
    Last edited by James the Red; August 18, 2011 at 10:52 AM.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Re-adding the Psioli

Well, the mod has skirmishers already. Also, I would like to say that it's "psiloi" not "Psioli". The first is a term to refer to fast moving and expendable troops. The later is a very bad word. I'm a filthy mouth IRL but I don't use that. It's consider one of the most "strong" bad words in Greece to describe certain anatomical features. Stronger than the equivalents in English.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Opifex

Default Re: Re-adding the Psioli

The Psiloi aren't really 'the low value skirmishers of the Greek army'. The Greek skirmishers were the Peltasts, and only Peltasts of varying kinds, all throughout the Classical period.

The Psiloi come into effect with the abolition of the classical hoplite system, in favor of the phalanx troops, aided by poor slingers and javelineers. That's what the Psiloi will be, when the Phalanx reforms come into effect.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams