Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions For Future Releases

Default Re: Suggestions For Future Releases

Hey I know this ain't so important but Iv'e noticed where you put Hadrians wall, that is the building in a settlement ( I forgot the name of it). The problem is that it is too far north. It is more apropriate for it to go down to carlilse or New castle.

One other thing that I would love is if you could add Sailsbury as a city and Whiltsher as a region. Ok I only want that because It's where I'm from..(well Whiltsher not Sailsbury). Besides Sailsbury would be a more appropriate place to put Stonehenge.
    Any way Love the mod and keep up the good work

AJStoner's Avatar Lord of Entropy

Glad you are enjoying the mod. While we continue tweak the set up the team is also in the process of creating a massive new map that will fully utilize the game's capibilities and many new regions will be included including Salisbury. I noticed the Hardian's Wall issue myself the other day and that will also be addressed. Version 1.7 will be out soon so be sure to keep checking-in.

*MEMBER OF THE HOUSE OF HADER* *UNDER THE CRUEL & MERCILESS PATRONAGE OF y2day*

I played Scotland waiting for the next patch (1.6) and here's what I got:
    Few things need pointing- 1- I just about doubled the cost of buildings and halved the construction times and still got enough money to buy England from under them.
    2- The cost of professional soldiers should really by upped and diplomacy tweaked so the player doesn't take advantage of the AI; also buying regions should be made impossible.
    3- After the unification script, the trade agreement events pop up as for two crowns, in one turn I got trade with HRE twice.
    Everything is VH, btw shouldn't that decrease money at start and king's purse according with difficulty?
    It would be awesome if the highlanders could get upgraded up to heavy mail- the standard nobles' bodies, with the uncovered mane of the highlanders as they are now. They would become useful on the long run and cool.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Messremb; December 18, 2011 at 01:20 AM.

Regarding 1.7
    Many a time the XAI creators stated that the results of their modded files may vary from mod to mod depending on a slew of various subtle factors- stats, unit tech trees, campaign scripts and so on and require personalized attention to get the desired effects. That being said for the benefit of all future complaints and to frame mine, I may have something serious to point out.

The adoption rate of the AI is nil. Aside from the dynasty members and starting generals, no new nobles are added to the family. It becomes exceedingly easy to eliminate the AI, since now they are posted near the front lines. I eliminated the Barons after taking just two settlements, same with the Welsh.
    It is more immersive and realistic than the standard endless spawning, but it becomes a bit of a cheat.
    You mentioned to be working on a larger map for v2, it might not be a bad idea talking to XAI fellas for some testing, but don't waste your time for the 1.x ones.
    I don't know how they achieved the elimination of that spawn, but a 'last stand' routine for adoptions might be a good thing.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Messremb View Post
    2- The cost of professional soldiers should really by upped.
    Professional soldiers are expensive enough, to the extent that the largest realistic number you can have if you control the entirety of Ireland (a considerable number of regions) is about three stacks.

That's a pretty small amount considering how numerous your enemy can be at the same time, when I fought Wales for my AAR, wave after wave of Welsh troops crashed against said three stacks, with significant casualties for me. I won almost every time, but that's how it should be when professionals-in-plate meet amateurs-with-wood. I also couldn't advance without leaving my new conquests unprotected, so it basically ended in a stalemate.

I've just downloaded 1.7 version and played "Ireland" for a few days.This Mod is awesome with many attractive features,but I still feel something unsuitable:

-1- The power of cavalry charge has been greatly weaken.In the games,a heavy cavalry often coulden't kill even half of a light infantry unit in one charge.I think it's not reasonable.Although in original MTW 2 it is too devastating and needs to be modified,this Mod is a bit hypercorrcet.

-2- The AI is very inactive and unwise.I'just reunified Ireland in "Hard" level,during that time, the mighty English army have been keeping idle wandering all along without any aggressive movements,even when some of my settlements had a garrison of only one militia unit or a vulnerable troop was nearby.(I've played "The Last Kingdom"Mod,that AI is more active and cunning,for example,my enemy laid seige to 4 of my cities in just 1 turn while my main force is oustide.In addtion,the battles between AIs is very frequently.)

-3- I've encountered some events and got confused,like "mathematician","master spy"or "symposium".I think it's best to give more information about the effects,the places where the event take place and the way to fulfill the goal.I accepted all the quest but it seemed nothing changed after a few turns.

-4- I also feel the upgrade of agents,especially the merchant, is too diffcult.one of my merchants annexed 3 other ones but the skill had no change...

SIMON DE MONTFORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flaminus View Post
    I've just downloaded 1.7 version and played "Ireland" for a few days.This Mod is awesome with many attractive features,but I still feel something unsuitable:

-1- The power of cavalry charge has been greatly weaken.In the games,a heavy cavalry often coulden't kill even half of a light infantry unit in one charge.I think it's not reasonable.Although in original MTW 2 it is too devastating and needs to be modified,this Mod is a bit hypercorrcet.

-2- The AI is very inactive and unwise.I'just reunified Ireland in "Hard" level,during that time, the mighty English army have been keeping idle wandering all along without any aggressive movements,even when some of my settlements had a garrison of only one militia unit or a vulnerable troop was nearby.(I've played "The Last Kingdom"Mod,that AI is more active and cunning,for example,my enemy laid seige to 4 of my cities in just 1 turn while my main force is oustide.In addtion,the battles between AIs is very frequently.)

-3- I've encountered some events and got confused,like "mathematician","master spy"or "symposium".I think it's best to give more information about the effects,the places where the event take place and the way to fulfill the goal.I accepted all the quest but it seemed nothing changed after a few turns.

-4- I also feel the upgrade of agents,especially the merchant, is too diffcult.one of my merchants annexed 3 other ones but the skill had no change...
    I play Ireland exclusively at the moment, relying on cavalry as the decisive element of the vast majority of my battles. Cavalry is very well balanced, you just have to be able to use it correctly. I have no problem cutting down light infantry with heavy cav, perhaps you're using Ridire or Hobs as heavy cav when they're not really for that sort of thing.

The AI could be better, but they get progressively more difficult to deal with as the game goes on.

1) Regarding the battle AI and cavalry I refer you to Irishhitman's comments. Much also depends on the type of unit being changed and the angle at which they are hit. No all light infantry are created equal.

2) The campaign AI is still being worked on and a major upgrade is comming for 1.8. In the mean time, if you are finding it too easy I suggest you switch to VH setting for the campaign. The tweaks that have been made thus far (and those to come) use the VH setting as their base.

3) The "Mathematician" is an addition to your ruler's ancillaries; the "Master Spy" is created outside your capital as indicated in the text; and the various symposiums give generals who remain in cities for that turn without moving (as indicated in the "Gameplay Note") have a chance to gain a trait that varies with the event type. I will look through the event texts and see if I can clear any confusing items up for the next update.

4) Merchants are going to davance more slowly because economic warfare is a much bigger part of RB than in most mods. Your starting merchants are fairly high level (and thus have a lower chance of advancing on take overs) and this is also to encourage the development of Merchant's Guilds and the training of your merchants there as noted in the intro text. All the agent's can be upgraded by keeping them in cities with related guild halls over a period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trivmphator View Post
    SIMON DE MONTFORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That will be fixed in the next version, worry not.

I would like to see cost and upkeep raised for soldiers. I have been playing as the Barons alliance and i am swimming in money! Alternatively maybe the stone forts could have fewer free units in them. During the medieval period raising a large army, particularly one consisiting of more professional troops was an expensive business!

Also would it be possible to make R.B. compatible with Germnicus' improved AI submod, this would improve the battle experience.

I think this mod is great, it certainly is a very exciting period in British history.

Let me know what you think as these are only suggestions! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by AJStoner View Post
    4) Merchants are going to davance more slowly because economic warfare is a much bigger part of RB than in most mods. Your starting merchants are fairly high level (and thus have a lower chance of advancing on take overs) and this is also to encourage the development of Merchant's Guilds and the training of your merchants there as noted in the intro text. All the agent's can be upgraded by keeping them in cities with related guild halls over a period of time.
    Can I say that I'm enjoying this new element of the game immensely, but that you might want to give England a merchant or two in Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by IrishHitman View Post
    I play Ireland exclusively at the moment, relying on cavalry as the decisive element of the vast majority of my battles. Cavalry is very well balanced, you just have to be able to use it correctly. I have no problem cutting down light infantry with heavy cav, perhaps you're using Ridire or Hobs as heavy cav when they're not really for that sort of thing.
    Yes,with the progress,I realized that the balance of cavalry is good and true to the real situation :
    A charge causes few casualties to a spearmen unit directly into their faces,the same as when heavy infantry adopt a defensive stance.But charging can make heavy damage to a marching unit or from back and flank.That makes the battle more tactical.

Yes,with the progress,I realized that the balance of cavalry is good and true to the real situation :
    A charge causes few casualties to a spearmen unit directly into their faces,the same as when heavy infantry adopt a defensive stance.But charging can make heavy damage to a marching unit or from back and flank.That makes the battle more tactical.
    There you go, you have to remember that cavalry isn't for getting the killing done, it's for scaring the living out of your opponent's troops so that they run, and THEN they can get cut down.

ceretic's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    Maybe instead of Cymru (Wales/Welsh is an English(Anglo-Saxon...Waelisc/Wealas) word meaning foreigner/Land of) having to go to Ireland for some "better" units. Which I feel is somewhat wrong.
    A) They would be more intested in going East and reclaiming Lloegyr(the Lost Lands, eg: England) back.
    B) Ireland in the main was more military backward in it's style of warfare(ok they where learning fast from having to fight the Normans).(This is not said to insult any Irish etc)
    C) The Brythoniaid by this time where fighting in allmost the same way as the English, with Knights(or mounted men-at-arms), men-at-arms and of course the bowmen , all had large amounts of the hoi polloi armed with spears/sharpened sticks etc, but with a large amount of raiding/guerilla style warfare added to the mix.
    Hence why the English had to build so many castles to protect themselves(and so they could supply themselves from the sea(most are on the coast or on a river estuary).
    You Would be hard pressed to see any differance between an English, Welsh or even an (Lowland) Scottish army by now (100 years or so before then yes, you could), only the heraldry (and if you got close enough then of course their language/accents)
    So going the other way and into England to reclaim our (I am a Cornishman by blood ) lands back and get units from that roster( eg: Armoured Swordsmen , Fedual Knights(but then can't see why they don't get them (as in the Knights) from the get go, especially as they hold the southern countries of Cymru (like Pembroke..who was the 1st Earl of said place? and some(or parts of) of the other Marcher Lords lands) etc) whould be fairer than going the wrong way over to Ireland.
    Oh dear one does go on abit..and more than likely makes no real sense...but hey-ho thats life.
    And while I am going on about about stuff, what about as England has the Templars what about giving the Barons the Hospitallers?. might even things up a bit.
    I am not Cornish but I am a bit of an expert on this period of Welsh history. I take issue with what you say in several key areas, I will use the ABC of your points in my corrections.

A) I think you will find that "Lloegyr" does not mean "the lost lands" (there is zero etymological evidence for this and it is actually something Bernard Cornwell invented for his King Arthur series of books). It is more likely to either refer to a forgotten region corresponding to modern Staffordshire that bordered eastern Powys/Pengwern or, perhaps, to the territory of an ancient King Locrinus in an ancient Iron Age tradition that was revived by Geoffrey of Monmouth. Did Geoffrey invent everything? I think probably not because his work was peer-reviewed at the time and nobody said it was bunkum then... I believe he did base his work on "a very old book in the British tongue" (now lost) he had borrowed from his friend Walter of Oxford. But that can never probably be proved and is another debate for another forum.

The main focus of Welsh policy during this period was categorically not to invade England (beyond Offa's Dyke) with a view to liberating any long lost lands. That policy was finally dropped by "High King" Cadwaladr Fendigaid "of the Britons" in the 7th Century. After this the Britons increasingly referred to themselves as Cymry and dropped any pretence to restoring their ownership of the whole island. In our games time the Welsh principly wanted to apply pressure to England with a view to forcing the English to acknowledge Aberffraw paramountcy over the other Welsh princes (e.g. Powys) and secure the territorial hegemony of a Welsh political entity. There were raids into England but the main reason for these was cattle rustling, hence "Taffy was a Welshman Taffy was a thief, Taffy came to my house and stole a piece of beef". Llywellyn wanted, above all, to be acknowledged as the overlord of the other Welsh princes, he wanted to expand his realm to include those lands ruled by English Marcher Lords in the south and east of Wales whose attacks undermined his realm and he wanted eventual recognition of Welsh sovereignty - this is something he fervently claimed as a descendant of "Camber son of Brutus" (see: Garth Celyn Letter, 1282). He most definitely did not want to invade England and expel the English and annex parts of England proper to Wales.

B) The Welsh - and by the period of Kingdoms we are mainly talking about the dominant Kingdom of Gwynedd - never went to Ireland to get Irish soldiers. They went to Dublin to get Viking soldiers who had formed the ruling elite and the military class in the Hiberno-Norse kingdom of Dublin. The legitimate House of Aberffraw had been exiled to Dublin during a period of civil war in Gwynedd during the Eleventh Century and the throne was usurped. Eventually, in 1075 Gruffudd ap Cynan, a grandson of a prior ruling prince from the House of Aberffraw (the senior line of Rhodri Mawr), returned to Gwynedd and with the support of Viking (Norse) troops from Dublin reclaimed his throne. After this there was a strong link between the House of Aberffraw and the Norse. Gruffudd's son was Owain Gwynedd and when he died conflict broke out between the pro-HibernoNorse faction led by his older sons by his first 'wife' and an anti Norse faction - eventually the anti-HibernoNorse faction led by younger sons Dafydd and Rhodri won and they divided Gwynedd between them. However, Owain's grandson (by his son Iorwerth who was part of the pro-HibernoNorse faction) was Llywellyn the Great and his grandson was Llywellyn the Last - the prince in this game who in real history died at Cilmeri in December 1282. So any reinforcements from Ireland ought to be Scandinavian type (with whom Gwynedd had strong historic ties) and not Irish (with whom there were no ties). But all this is flawed anyway because at this stage Dublin and all of Leinster had already been under English military control for about a century. It is likely Llywellyn maintained trading ties with the Norse kingdom of the Isle of Man at least until 1265 when it became part of Scotland.

C) The next point I need to raise is about troops. You quite incorrectly say it would be hard to differentiate between an English and a Welsh army. This is wrong. The Welsh were able to field knights on horseback at this time but in far fewer numbers than the English and the horses were of a lower standard. The Welsh typically relied on ambush soldiers with short swords and were famous for the quality of their archers. Men often fought barefoot because it enabled them to climb up and down steep slopes more quickly. Skirmishers were the order of the day, I now quote Gerald of Wales who wrote around a hundred years before our game but in general what he observed in his time was the same in our games time:

"They make use of light arms, which do not impede their agility, small coats of mail, bundles of arrows, and long lances, helmets and shields, and more rarely greaves plated with iron. The higher class go to battle mounted on swift and generous steeds, which their country produces; but the greater part of the people fight on foot, on account of the marshy nature and unevenness of the soil. The horsemen, as their situation or occasion requires, willingly serve as infantry, in attacking or retreating; and they either walk bare-footed, or make use of high shoes, roughly constructed with untanned leather. In time of peace, the young men, by penetrating the deep recesses of the woods, and climbing the tops of mountains, learn by practice to endure fatigue through day and night."
    The Historical Works of Giraldus Cambrensis translated by Sir Richard Colt-Hoare (1894), p.491

Another source which proves they would have appeared quite different is an account of when Llywellyn the Last and his entourage visited London to pay homage to Edward I and apart from hating the local beer their Welsh pride was disgusted at being so stared at by the Londoners "on account of their uncommon dress." "We will never visit Islington again except as conquerors, they cried, and from that instant resolved to take up arms." I feel the same way about Islington....

To improve the game I would do one thing; I strongly urge the Welsh faction to have a Welsh accent when they speak, not an English one. Find someone Welsh and re-record the voice for that faction!!
    Last edited by ceretic; January 09, 2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: minor corrections

oh crikey mikey...

I just installed the game and decided to have a go as Wales. I looked in the Faction Summary and then glanced at the Family Tree.

I thought you wanted to make a more realistic game???? If so, why didn't you do any research (it would take about five minutes) to ascertain who Llywellyn's father was, who he was married to, who his brothers were, and if he ever had children. Evidently not.

In the vain hope you can release a patch to sort this out here are the main points of what you need to know....

1) [/I]Llywelyn ap Gruffudd was the son of Gruffudd ap Llywelyn. Llywelyn had ruled Gwynedd since 1246 when his uncle Dafydd (Gruffudd's younger brother) had died. By this time Llywellyn's father was dead, dying in 1244.

2) Llywelyn ap Gruffudd (b.1223) - was the ruling Prince of Wales (the title he claimed) at the time of our game in 1260 - he had three brothers. One older one (Owain Goch ap Gruffudd, b.1220) and two younger ones; Rhodri ap Gruffudd (b.1230) and Dafydd ap Gruffudd (b.1238). He also had two sisters, Gwladus (b.1225) and Margaret (b.1235).

So at the start of the game Prince Llywelyn will be 37, Owain will be 40, Rhodri will be 30 and Dafydd will be 22. Owain was in prison throughout the whole time of our game so he should be marked as a defector, absconded, etc and not a character in the game. I would put Dafydd as the heir (Rhodri sold his rights to the throne) and I would give the title "Lord" as the title for the heir to the throne.

3) Llywelyn married Eleanor de Montfort (b.1250) in 1276. They had one child, a girl Gwenllian in 1282. She died in childbirth. I would have Eleanor as a 10year old child of the leader of the Barons Alliance (presumably Simon de Montfort) and have her available to marry Llywelyn once she reaches 15 if Llywelyn is still unmarried at that time.

4) Dafydd ap Gruffudd, the younger brother and heir of Llywelyn, married Elizabeth Ferrers (b.1250) in 1267. With her he had two sons, Llywelyn (b.1270), Owain (b.1275) and several daughters, one of which was Gwladys (b.1280).

5) Rhodri ap Gruffudd, the younger brother of Llywelyn and older brother of Dafydd, married Beatrice of Malpas.

So to summarise, in 1260 I would have:

Gruffudd (deceased)
    Owain (traitor, disappeared)
    Prince Llywelyn of Wales (aged 37)
    Rhodri ap Gruffudd (aged 30)
    Lord Dafydd of Wales (aged 22)

I would have all of them unmarried at the start of the game. I would contrive to make it possible for Llywelyn to marry the daughter of the leader of the Barons Alliance.

The capital of Wales would categorically not be Montgomery - an insignificant ford in a river where treaties were signed - it was actually a place called Garth Celyn in Gwynedd, however this was only the name of the palace. The Welsh cathedral, site of royal tombs and everything else important was at BANGOR in Gwynedd (just rename Caernarfon) so Bangor should be the Welsh capital and the main settlement in Gwynedd. I would rename Montgomery POOL as this was the main town in Powys at this time - it was later renamed "Welshpool" to differentiate it from Pool in Dorset. I would rename the principle settlement in Deheubarth to CAERFYRDDIN that is the Welsh form of Carmarthen - this was by far the most important town here, not Pembroke.

Other lords that should exist in Wales at this time are:

Rhys Grug (General, Governor of Deheubarth) (aged about 30)
    Gruffudd ap Gwenwynwyn (General, Governor of Powys) (aged about 50)
    Ednyfed Fychan (General, Lord Seneschal) (aged about 50)

One final thing - I would change the logo/symbol used for Wales to this, which is what it was in 1260: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Co...s_of_Wales.svg

PLEASE MAKE THESE SIMPLE AMENDMENTS IT SHOULDN'T TAKE LONG AND IT WOULD MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE TO PLAYING AS WALES IN THIS GAME.
    Last edited by ceretic; January 09, 2012 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by james.ep3 View Post
    Hey I know this ain't so important but Iv'e noticed where you put Hadrians wall, that is the building in a settlement ( I forgot the name of it). The problem is that it is too far north. It is more apropriate for it to go down to carlilse or New castle.

One other thing that I would love is if you could add Sailsbury as a city and Whiltsher as a region. Ok I only want that because It's where I'm from..(well Whiltsher not Sailsbury). Besides Sailsbury would be a more appropriate place to put Stonehenge.
    Any way Love the mod and keep up the good work
    You're from Wiltshire and proud of the fact yet you cannot spell WILTSHIRE...

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ceretic View Post
    PLEASE MAKE THESE SIMPLE AMENDMENTS IT SHOULDN'T TAKE LONG AND IT WOULD MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE TO PLAYING AS WALES IN THIS GAME.
    First thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure what the plan is for the next patch but we may include some of our suggestions. Just a heads up, since you think these are simple amendments that shouldn't take long, you may want to consider creating a submod of your own and releasing it to the other fans of Rule Britannia. We will await the download link with great anticipation. I'm sure it will be up in no time.

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Quote Originally Posted by y2day View Post
    First thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure what the plan is for the next patch but we may include some of our suggestions. Just a heads up, since you think these are simple amendments that shouldn't take long, you may want to consider creating a submod of your own and releasing it to the other fans of Rule Britannia. We will await the download link with great anticipation. I'm sure it will be up in no time.
    Unfortunately I am good at finding out historic facts, I am studying my second degree in history, but I am no programmer. I appreciate that making mods for total war is a labour of love, unpaid work and often it must seem like a thankless task. I thought I would try to condense all I could in a posting for you that would make the Wales faction more realistic which is what I think you are trying to achieve after all.

Regarding modding, if you are able to send me some of the, erm "script", and I can open it using Notepad (is this right?) I could go through it and amend the parts which related to Welsh placenames and character names as per my books and send it back to you. I expect I could figure it out and make the changes and then send it back for inclusion in something in the future. I am willing to help and it wasn't my intention to appear rude, I was only being frank, and as I said; help me to help you - if I can edit a "script" I will and save you doing that job.

Some updates are being worked on now, if you like you can PM me with the relevant info and I will add it to my update list.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast