Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [KGCM AAR] Kaiser's Crusade (UPDATED October 22nd)

Campidoctor

Default Re: [KGCM AAR] Kaiser's Crusade (UPDATED 17/8)

Yes! King Béla III shows up! I love him

Also, funny to see Dietrich von Saxony. The KGCM Team put together English and German there. It should be Dietrich von Sachsen.

BTW, it should be interesting to see the meeting of Barbarossa and Emperor Manuel. They were rivals and the (real) Emperor even supported and financed the Lombard League against the Kaiser. Maybe Barbarossa can give up on his claims of Southern Italy and an alliance can be forged? Also, remember that Béla is a good friend of Emperor Manuel. Béla was his adopted son and until 1168 the heir-apparent to the Roman throne.

Now, here is the first criticism to your TL: you have made the same error as you did with your other AAR.

Byzantines!

I suggest you to call them Greeks (if the POV is Western European, otherwise Roman will be fine).

ChivalrousKiller's Avatar Domesticus

To your honor, BC, I plan the meeting between the emperors to be one of the absolute main events of the AAR

And for the 'Byzantine' part. Don't forget that I'm writing (mainly) from the viewpoint of the Germans, who looked upon themselves as the true Romans But as you say, Greek would do. I'll try to remember it in the next chapter, if I forget, please remind me

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    You've made the same mistake in your name, then

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by ChivalrousKiller View Post
    To your honor, BC, I plan the meeting between the emperors to be one of the absolute main events of the AAR
    Excellent. Make sure you depict a Manuel born in 1118
    You've made the same mistake in your name, then
    Not really. I wanted to show that I love the Byzantines, and not the old Romans

Skull's Avatar Campidoctor

Yay,Hungarians and Byzantines

Just don't slauther them all...
    A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

Destroy the impious Greeks, the Pope will be so happy plus sacking Constantinople is a must

Grymloq's Avatar Domesticus

Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by ByzantineCaesar View Post
    Excellent. Make sure you depict a Manuel born in 1118
    Not really. I wanted to show that I love the Byzantines, and not the old Romans
    Sure, if he doesn't die before I reack the Greeks (you happy now? ), then I'll have an excuse for meeting with Alexios II instead. But he's about the age of Barbarossa himself, so I do believe he'll be alive

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Yay,Hungarians and Byzantines

Just don't slauther them all...
    I won't, I won't

Quote Originally Posted by Basileus Antiochus View Post
    Destroy the impious Greeks, the Pope will be so happy plus sacking Constantinople is a must
    Well, don't forget that the Germans hate the Papacy even more than the Greeks. And Barbarossa didn't sack Constnatinople, so I probably shouldn't doubt his judgment

Quote Originally Posted by Grymloq View Post
    Awesome!
    Thank you, my friend!
    Last edited by ChivalrousKiller; August 18, 2011 at 05:48 AM.

Fireright's Avatar Campidoctor

Good Stuff CK +1

Quote Originally Posted by Fireright View Post
    Good Stuff CK +1
    Thank you, my friend

Chapter 3: The Third Crusade

"Fight in the cause of God those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for God loveth not transgressors."

- The Quran

Baghdad, 1188

The sun was shining over the city of Baghdad, the jewel of the East, the heart of the Muslim world. In the Great mosque sat an old man, praying to Allah for guidance. It had not been long since his greatest rival had conquered Jerusalem for Islam, and now this warrior of legend was nothing but a shadow, just another of the Muslim emirs behind the glorious Salah ad-Dín. No! That will not happen, the warrior told himself. “The Light of the Faith”, they had called him. Once. He would have to achieve greater victories this time to regain his name and popularity. But his chance seemed to be coming. The Ayyubids were preparing to face the might of the crusaders in Palestine. Yet they did not know that the greatest army coming from Europe would march through Anatolia, right through his own territory. The warrior smiled. Germans, his advisors had said, they are a race of Franks that are much stronger and full of hate. Good, he had answered. The greater the enemy, the more glorious the victory.

The warrior rose, and drew his sword. He took a glance on the beauty of the blade. Victory, he whispered, shall be mine. "I will rise again! The House of Zenghi will rise again!"

The warrior’s name was
    Nur ad-Din Abu al-Qasim Mahmud ibn Imad ad-Din Zangi. The Franks knew him simply as Nur ad-Dín.

Vienna, 1188

The palace of the Arch-Duke was in silence. All the nobles ready to take the Cross, were gathered in the throne room. The Emperor had placed himself on the throne, with his son Conrad and Duke Leopold at his side. The Archbishop of Vienna, Johann von Pollheim, was reading a letter of great importance to the Crusade.

A letter from the Commune of Acre To
    His Holiness, Pope Clement III
    His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Frederick I
    His Majesty, King Richard I
    His Majesty, King Philip II

Pious Sovereigns of Europe, I write to you now, with the gravest of news. It has not been long since the heathen Saladin, cursed be his name, destroyed our field army at the horns of Hattin, and took the Holy City from us.

Thankfully, I already know that you are planning another crusade, and you should know that your armies are sorely needed. But I am afraid I have to add to your troubles, and the troubles of Christendom. In an attempt to retake Jerusalem from the infidel, what is left of the Royal Army was terribly defeated outside the city of Acre.

The current situation is immensely dangerous for our weakened state. The Saracens are already attempting to blockade our ports, which we are desperately in need of in these troubled times. It will not be long until they turn their eyes here, and besiege Acre, the last great city of our kingdom. At this very moment, they are encamped not far from the capital, and I fear we will have to withstand a siege very soon.

I know that your time in preparation is spent well, but I urge you to hurry. If you do not arrive here soon, the entire kingdom may be lost, and it will be far more difficult to regain the Holy City.

God be with you all!

King Guy of Jerusalem

Gerard de Ridefort, Grand Master of the Knights Templar
    Amalric de Lusignan, Constable of Jerusalem

Spoiler for Battle on the Plains of Acre

Everyone looked to the Emperor, expecting him to say something. Instead, the anxious silence continued. It was now more important than ever to complete the preparations to the march. Then suddenly, the door opened, and a man entered the room, walking straight towards the emperor. Everybody who had been present at Mainz immediately recognized the newcomer as Wilhelm Bresch, the emperor’s trusted diplomat.

“Wilhelm!” the Emperor shouted. “What news do you bring from Rome?”
    “News too important to shout them out loudly. I must speak with you alone.”
    The Emperor smiled. He would have thrown out any other man who basically ordered him to do something. But Wilhelm was a trusted friend. He raised his hand to show the diplomat that they could talk in one of the side rooms.

For all the discretion, it didn’t take long before loud voices could be heard through the wooden door.
    “You did what?”
    “I offered the Papacy four thousand florins in exchange for a military alliance.”

“I have never given you permission to do such a thing. We do not want an alliance with those treacherous priests!”
    “It may not be in the best interest of the Empire, but it is most certainly in the best interest of the crusade. Now we are finally in the good favour of His Holiness.”

After some more minutes of silence, the two men came out, facing a crowd of excited lords and nobles.
    “Thanks to Wilhelm Bresch and his skills in diplomacy,” the Emperor looked at the diplomat with fire in his eyes. “We are now allied with the Papacy in a joint effort to attack the Saracens and retake the Holy City. The Pope has finally heeded the call, and Christendom is ready for war.”

“We march for the Holy Land in five months, when the winter is gone. That will give us time to conclude our preparations, and receive the rest of our allies who are marching with us.”

Palace of the Arch-Duke, a few hours later

When darkness fell upon Vienna, and the council of the crusaders was dissolved, some other men entered the palace, and found the man waiting for them there. They carried heavy armor, white with a black cross. They were members of the
    Order of Brothers of the German House of Saint Mary in Jerusalem. The man waiting for them was the Emperor’s son. In a discreet and private ceremony, they made him their leader and pledged their troops to his command during the crusade. Conrad von Hohenstaufen was now the Grandmaster of the Teutonic Order…

Last edited by ChivalrousKiller; August 20, 2011 at 08:12 AM.

Default Re: [KGCM AAR] Kaiser's Crusade (UPDATED 20/8)

The Grandmaster... well done Conrad and an ALLIANCE WITH THE POPE, this is an insult to the empire.
    Great update ChivalrousKiller

Thank's Basileus It will unfortunately be the last update in a while, as I'm leaving for the US for two weeks. I'll make sure to resume writing as soon as I'm back though
    Feel free to comment and make suggestions during my absence I'll most likely be able to answer some time during the trip

And yeah, it felt bad to make an alliance with the Papacy, but I had to avoid excommunication somehow to make the crusade a success

Campidoctor

Nice update. Do you plan crowning Conrad as the King of Jerusalem after the Crusade, or will you give the city to the Kingdom of Heaven?

BTW, are you playing a hotseat campaign?

Nice update. Do you plan crowning Conrad as the King of Jerusalem after the Crusade, or will you give the city to the Kingdom of Heaven?
    To be honest I don't know yet What would you like?

BTW, are you playing a hotseat campaign?
    Yeah, as HRE, Hungary, Turks and KoJ. It was the only way to do what I have planned

Excellent updates! The hotseat solution is brilliant, and you seem to maximize its power very well!
    I also like the pace of the story, nicely building up towards the big clash.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by ChivalrousKiller View Post
    To be honest I don't know yet What would you like?
    Well, since you are playing hotseat you could always cheat-bribe Conrad to the KOJ and make him king. BTW, how will you handle the Turk x HRE battle?

Quote Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
    Excellent updates! The hotseat solution is brilliant, and you seem to maximize its power very well!
    I also like the pace of the story, nicely building up towards the big clash.
    Thank you! First I thought of playing as HRE only, but I found this solution to be far better
    And the main difference from Andronikos is that this time I haven't decided what will happen during the AAR. I just play the campaign and the story sort of writes itself. It is more unpredictable this way

Well, since you are playing hotseat you could always cheat-bribe Conrad to the KOJ and make him king. BTW, how will you handle the Turk x HRE battle?
    Yeah, basically I just see two options. The historical one, or the "HRE takes it all"-option
    And for the battle of Iconium I will control Frederick's army, with the armies of Conrad and Béla fighting with me, against Nur ad-Dín (if he shouldn't die first) and another Turkish General

Grymloq's Avatar Domesticus

Yay, the Crusade has started! Shouldn't Nur ad-Din be already dead in 1188/9 ?

Edit: I have to spread some rep around

Yeah, he should. But I can't do everything by the book

I'm gonna need some time to write the next chapter, since I just came back from the US and have a lot of other thing to do. But hopfully, I'll manage to get it published by the week

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast