Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corrected British Islands for tLK

Default Corrected British Islands for tLK

there are two projects for improved Norway for this nice and interesting mod. in tLK forum is also topic for Iceland. and I will work on better historic British Isles (England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland).

I finished work on base corrections of England, Scoland and Wales. my next work will be on Ireland.
    screenshots
    Last edited by One-Eye; August 14, 2011 at 04:30 PM.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Default Re: Corrected British Islands for tLK

Good job mate! Great stuff

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

Celtichugs123's Avatar Senator

Cool, but 'Iona' is wrong, mate. What you called Iona, isn't Iona, that is the Isle of Mull - which is being renamed/fixed in next patch.

Iona is West of Mull.

Nice to see Tingvall though, or Dingwall as it's called now. I live just outside it. I hope you made that region (what did you call it btw?) have some Viking culture? Tingvall was founded by the Vikings.

Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

“For myself, I find I become less cynical rather than more--remembering my own sins and follies; and realize that men's hearts are not often as bad as their acts, and very seldom as bad as their words.”
    - J.R.R Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    Good job mate! Great stuff
    thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtichugs123 View Post
    Cool, but 'Iona' is wrong, mate. What you called Iona, isn't Iona, that is the Isle of Mull - which is being renamed/fixed in next patch.
    I did not change islands yet.
    Iona is West of Mull.
    Iona (settlement) needs its "own" island. as I created Môn island in Wales, I will also create island for Iona.
    Nice to see Tingvall though, or Dingwall as it's called now. I live just outside it. I hope you made that region (what did you call it btw?) have some Viking culture? Tingvall was founded by the Vikings.

region name is Sudrland (as Vikings called it). I did not change culture yet.

thanks for feedbacks guys.

Acording to your screenshots you have changed Iona.

Aha, okay, coo. In the furture we (the team) will be making Iona too.

Sudrland, cool. That or Rois would have been good to use. Well done
    Last edited by Celtichugs123; August 16, 2011 at 09:35 AM.
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

“For myself, I find I become less cynical rather than more--remembering my own sins and follies; and realize that men's hearts are not often as bad as their acts, and very seldom as bad as their words.”
    - J.R.R Tolkien

I finished works on British islands (England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland) and also on small islands (Hebrides, Faore islands, Shettlands).

I focus to historic accuracy how much is possible. it is not 100%, but I did the best what I can and I am sure it is on 98% correct

what is new:
    correct/better positions of some settlements, some settlements/regions moved or replaced with another, much names of settlements/regions changed, created Môn island (Wales) and Iona island (Scotland), added some more rivers, added 12 new regions (Ireland 3, Wales 3, Scotland 3, small islands 3), map_ground_types a little changed.
    changed starting position of Scotland - capital is moved to Scoine (historic, legendary seat of kings and corronation place - see "Stone of Soine"), regions Moray and Ros were not ruled by Kings of Scotland in this time - they were ruled by powerfull nobles (later Mormaers) of Moray. only later Scotish kings gained full control of this area.
    the capital of Wales moved to Aberffraw, Môn. it was seat of kings and stronghlod of Gwynedd family.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Ireland:
    {Ulaid_Region}Airgialla
    {Ulaid_Town}Ard Macha
    {Donegal_Region}Uí Briúin
    {Donegal_Town}Dúnnagall
    {Connacht_Region}Chonnacht
    {Connacht_Town}Cell Alaid
    {Meath_Region}Brega
    {Meath_Town}Temhair na Rí
    {Middle_Region}Meath
    {Middle_Town}Árd Achadh
    {Galway_Region}Luimneach
    {Limerick}Inis Sibhtonn
    {Dublin_Region}Brega Theas
    {Dublin}Dubhlinn
    {Laigin_Region}Osraige
    {Laigin_Town}Cell Cainnigh
    {Vestfjord_Region}Uí Chennselaig
    {Vestfjord}Veisafjorðr
    {Vadrfjord_Region}Déisi Muman
    {Vadrfjord}Veðrafjorðr
    {Muma_Region}Mumhan
    {Muma_Town}Caiseal Mumhan
    {Cork_Region}Uí Liatháin
    {Cork}Cork
    {Kerry_Region}Locha Léin
    {Kerry_Town}Cill Airne
    new regions:
    {Conchobar_Region}Dál nAraide
    {Conchobar_Town}Conchobar
    {Ailigh_Region}Cenél Conaill
    {Ailigh_Town}Grianán Ailigh
    {Dalcais_Region}Dál Cais
    {Dalcais_Town}Cill Dálua

small islands:
    {Fareyar_Region}Færeyjar
    {Fareyar}Þórrshafn
    {Hjaltland_Region}Hjaltland
    {Hjaltland}Leirvik
    {Orkineyar_Region}Orkneyjar
    {Kirkjuvagr}Kirkjuvágr
    {Isle_of_Muff_Region}Chaluim Cille
    {Iona}Iona
    {Hebridar_Region}Suðreyjar
    {Lervik}Stjornavágr
    {Isle_of_Skye_Region}Skið
    {Skye}Breiðafjorðr
    {Man_Region}Mann
    {Tynvald}Þingvallr
    new regions:
    {Gjall_Region}Gjall
    {Gjall_Town}Haraldsvík
    {Mull_Region}Muile
    {Mull_Town}Innis Choinnich
    {Vagar_Region}Vágar
    {Vagar_Town}Sanðavágr

Scotland:
    {Moray_Region}Ros
    {Moray}Inbhirnis
    {Mar_Region}Moireabh
    {Mar}Farrais
    {Katanes_Region}Cait
    {Katanes}Vík
    {Alban_Region}Albainn
    {Alba}Dùn Chailleann
    {Dalriada_Region}Arregathel
    {Dalriada}Dún At
    {Strathclyde_Region}Srathchluaidh
    {Strathclyde}Cille Mheàrnaig
    {Sci_Region}Suðrland
    {Sci}Þingvollr
    {Dunedin_Region}Lodainn
    {Eadyn_Dun}Dùn Èideann
    {Galloway_Region}Gallobha
    {Dunfris}Futerna
    new regions:
    {Monadh_Region}Monadh
    {Monadh_Town}Obar Dheathain
    {Scoine_Region}Aonghas
    {Scoine_Town}Scoine
    {Rheged_Region}Rheged
    {Rheged_Town}Dùn Phris

England:
    {Northumberland_Region}Beornice
    {Northumberland_Town}Bebbanburh
    {North_Cumberland_Region}Cymru
    {North_Cumberland_Town}Caer Luel
    {Bernicia_Region}Tinandael
    {Bernicia_Town}Dunholm
    {Lothian_Region}East Lothene
    {Lothian_Town}Dynbaer
    {Pennines_Region}Elmetsæte
    {Pennines_Town}Loidis
    {South_Cumberland_Region}Hacmunderness
    {South_Cumberland_Town}Mameceaster
    {Chester_Region}Wreocensæte
    {Chester}Ceaster
    {Mercia_North_Region}Norð Mierce
    {Mercia_North_Town}Snotingaham
    {Mercia_West_Region}Lindsey
    {Mercia_West_Town}Lindcylene
    {Mercia_Border_Region}West Mierce
    {Mercia_Border_Town}Tamworth
    {Middle_Mercia_Region}Uterra Mierce
    {Middle_Mercia_Town}Leiceaster
    {Hwicce_Region}Hwicce
    {Hwicce_Town}Weogornaceaster
    {South_Mercia_Region}Suð Mierce
    {South_Mercia_Town}Hamtun
    {South_Lindsey_Region}Gyrwas
    {South_Lindsey_Town}Medeshamstede
    {Norfolk_Region}Norðfolc
    {Norfolk_Town}Elmham
    {East_Anglia_Region}East Suðfolc
    {East_Anglia_Town}Dunwic
    {Middle_Anglia_Region}Suðfolc
    {Middle_Anglia_Town}Gispewic
    {Suffolk_Region}East Seaxe
    {Suffolk_Town}Colneceaster
    {Kent_Region}Cantware
    {Kent_Town}Cantwaraburh
    {South_Essex_Region}West Cantware
    {South_Essex_Town}Hrofesceaster
    {London_Region}Middel Seaxe
    {London}Lunden
    {Sussex_Region}Suð Seaxe
    {Sussex_Town}Selaeseu
    {Downlands_Region}Cilternsæte
    {Downlands_Town}Dorciceastre
    {Wessex_Region}Hamtunscir
    {Wessex_Town}Wintanceaster
    {Avalon_Region}Sumorsæte
    {Avalon_Town}Brycgstow
    {Dornsaete_Region}Dornsæte
    {Dornsaete_Town}Dornwaraceaster
    {York_Region}Deira
    {York}Eoferwic
    {Devon_Region}Defnas
    {Devon_Town}Escanceaster
    {Dumnonia_Region}West Defnas
    {Dumnonia_Town}Totness
    {Cornwall_Region}Cornwealas
    {Cornwall_Town}Ryskammel
    {Wight_Region}Isle of Wiht
    {Wight_Town}Wihtgarasburh

Wales:
    {North_Wales_Region}Rhufoniog
    {North_Wales_Town}Rhuthun
    {Gwyned_Region}Gwynedd
    {Gwyned_Town}Cear yn Arfon
    {Middle_Wales_Region}Powys
    {Middle_Wales_Town}Mathrafal
    {Dyfed_Region}Dyfed
    {Dyfed_Town}Mynwyr
    {South_Wales_Region}Gwent
    {South_Wales_Town}Caerwent
    new regions:
    {Hereford_Region}Magonsæte
    {Hereford_Town}Hereford
    {Mon_Region}Ynys Môn
    {Mon_Town}Aberffraw
    {Dinefwr_Region}Seisyllwg
    {Dinefwr_Town}Dinefwr

Last edited by One-Eye; August 17, 2011 at 04:58 AM.

I love what you've done with Scotland - Iona, Dun At and Ober Deathian. However, 'Moray' and 'Ros' where under controll of the Alba/Pictish Kings (Though, I suggest keeping Rois under rebel, or even Viking controll). Moray was the area for the centre of power for a long time, during and before Giric exiled Constantine to Ireland and during his return. Farrais should not be the capital of 'Moray', it should remain as Elginn. Elginn was for a long time a hub of Alba - infact it's believe near Elginn is where Giric had Constantine's father slain. Also, though Farais (Forres) does have the Sueno's Stone, it's importance may not have been as great as Elginn. Also your position of Farais is wrong, it should be closer to Inhbirnis, West of where Elginn was.

The region Inhbirnis is in, what did you call the region?

Stone of Destiny/Stone of Scone - You should rename the settlement Sgain, not Scione. This would be more correct. Also, making it the capital, would not be correct. Later, when Alba would be known as Scotland was Perth area the powerhouse of the Kingdom, not during this time. As said before, Inhbirnis or Elginn should be capital.

May I suggest puting in two Historical Sites? Stone of Destiny & Iona Abbey - even Loch Ness/Great Glen would be feisable, if you used the St.Columba v Nessie-converting the Picts tale

Hope all this helps mate!

Thanks, Celtic.
    Last edited by Celtichugs123; August 17, 2011 at 05:46 AM.
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

- J.R.R Tolkien

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Nice job, i appreciate your efforts!
    Thanks your offer mate! This patch is closed now, but the i would like use in the next patch...
    Last edited by danova; August 17, 2011 at 05:42 AM.

I love what you've done with Scotland - Iona, Dun At and Ober Deathian.
    thanks.
    However, 'Moray' and 'Ros' where under controll of the Alba/Pictish Kings (Though, I suggest keeping Rois under rebel, or even Viking controll). Moray was the area for the centre of power for a long time, during and before Giric exiled Constantine to Ireland and during his return.
    I agree with Moray, but not with Ros. Scots/Picts controled area from Loch Ness to southeast. I will edit map, be taut
    Farrais should not be the capital of 'Moray', it should remain as Elginn. Elginn was for a long time a hub of Alba - infact it's believe near Elginn is where Giric had Constantine's father slain. Also, though Farais (Forres) does have the Sueno's Stone, it's importance may not have been as great as Elginn. Also your position of Farais is wrong, it should be closer to Inhbirnis, West of where Elginn was.
    did you find any reference for Eilginn in mods start?
    The region Inhbirnis is in, what did you call the region?
    it is in SPOILER. Ros. but be patient...
    Stone of Destiny/Stone of Scone - You should rename the settlement Sgain, not Scione. This would be more correct. Also, making it the capital, would not be correct. Later, when Alba would be known as Scotland was Perth area the powerhouse of the Kingdom, not during this time. As said before, Inhbirnis or Elginn should be capital.
    MacAlpin dynasty had seat in Scoine. not in Moray. Moray was just one of strongholds. Scoine is old mediaval name, Sgain is modern gaelic.
    Hope all this helps mate!
    I hope I help to tLK a little

Quote Originally Posted by danova View Post
    Nice job, i appreciate your efforts!
    Thanks your offer mate! This patch is closed now, but the i would like use in the next patch...
    it needs a little polish... it would be nice to see this (something of this) in next version

thanks guys for feedbacks.

The Picts and Scots, did controll Rois. But again, I'm unsure if you should allow them too ingame. For balance.

Elginn - No. Don't think there is any, but evidence shows there must have been a settlement there founded before this time. Eitherway, Elginn or Farais (Forres) would do, you just need to change the position.

Seat of power - I'm unsure if I agree, though I' unsure if I disagree. The History of Pictland/Kingdom of Alba/Kingdom of Scotland (All three are different) is complex and it's structure is so much different compared to other Kingdoms. We must remember Kingdom of Alba is a myriad of peoples and tribes, mulitple cultures and languages. Scione is where the Dal Raita Kings where crowned and later Scottish Kings, so we can assume Albannach Kings did also. But evidence suggests the power houses where Dun At, Inverness (Inhbirnis) and Moray. However, it's completely plausible for Scoine (Modern Perth-shire) to be the power house. There is no diffinitive answer.

You made Inbhirnis' region 'Ros'? If so, why? Rois, modern Ross, is North of Inverness. I live in Ross-shire, actually! . Anyway, historical Inverness would have been in the region of Moireabh, however so is Elginn and Farais and both Inverness and Elgin or Farais need to be represented. So, a name for the Inverness region is difficult to conjure. An Glenn Mor, the Great Glen or Glenn a'Albainn, Glen of Scotland (Alba) would be good to use. Eluding to the region geographically and the importance of the Great Glen. I know you made Sudrland the region for Tingvallr, which is okay but modern Tingvallr isn't in modern Sudrland, Sutherland is much further North. Tingvallr, modern Dinwall, is the de-facto capital of Ross-shire.

So what I'm saying is, Ros needs to be the region for Tingvallr. Lol, sorry if I'm not being clear!

Thanks, Celtic
    Last edited by Celtichugs123; August 17, 2011 at 06:41 AM.
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

- J.R.R Tolkien

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Is it too late to ask you to add in Lough Neagh in the North of Ireland?

Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Quote Originally Posted by smoesville View Post
    Is it too late to ask you to add in Lough Neagh in the North of Ireland?
    I thought about this, but there is navigable river.

Scotland edited. one more region added. Dingvall is off now, but there is another Vikings settlement - Tunga.
    I used "An Gleann Mòr" as name for region of Inverness by your advice, Celtichugs123. Scotland would be your strong position, while you are Scot .

new positions of settlement/region:
    Ros Mhaircnidh/Ros
    Inbhirnis/An Gleann Mòr
    Sudrland/Tunga
    Farrais/Moireabh

the Strathclyde is taken from Scotland, due balance and I think it was nut under rule of Scottish kings in mods start era.

No, you're right. Strathclyde was it's own Kingdim, but was destoryed in 880 (I think) and was effectively weak befoore 880 anyway.

I think you should keep Tingvallr (Dingwall). 1) I believe Ros Mhaircnidh (Modern Rosemarkie) would have been less important than Tingvallr. 2) If you keep Tingvallr you can make that region with Viking culture, along with other northern region which helps with balance and diversity. So keep Ros region but remove Ros Mhaircnidh and replace/back too Tingvallr.

Apart from that, awsome! Really awsome! Great research! And you have a Scot's seal of approval! Very well done!

Hope I was of help!

Thanks, Celitc
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

- J.R.R Tolkien

I think you should keep Tingvallr (Dingwall). 1) I believe Ros Mhaircnidh (Modern Rosemarkie) would have been less important than Tingvallr. 2)
    that is a question. I think for Picts or early Scots was Rosemarjie more important. for Vikings Dingvall...
    If you keep Tingvallr you can make that region with Viking culture, along with other northern region which helps with balance and diversity. So keep Ros region but remove Ros Mhaircnidh and replace/back too Tingvallr.
    this is on you (tLK team). it needs move settlement one pixel west and change name in icrasn.txt file...
    Apart from that, awsome! Really awsome! Great research! And you have a Scot's seal of approval! Very well done!
    thank you. hope I helped a little.
    Hope I was of help!
    ofcourse. it is hard to polemize about Scotland with Scot

thanks.

Dingwall & Rosemarkie - I disagree. Tingvallr area was important for both people. Why for the Vikings? I am unsure, perhaps becouse it's at the end of a Fjord. But the Dingwall area has also Pictish stones. But eitherway, the area at this time has increasing Viking activity, so Tingvallr would be much more appropriate to coincide with the Culture difference etc. Rosemarkie would of had little to no signicifance, I doubt there was anything their during this time bar the one Pictish stone found there. The Pictish Stone of Rosemarkie is much less important than the Stones found surrounding it. If you compare the Rosemarkie Stone, Class II, with the older Class I stone of Strathpeffer (just outside of Dingwall/Tingvallr). So, (for historical accuracey and 'completeness') I still feel you need to remove Ros Mhaircnidh and replace it with Tingvallr and this Submod will be perfect - for Scottish changes anyway!

Well, infact alot of your work where suggestions I was going to give to Gigantus for furture releases. But the work you have done for Scotland in your Submod is quite fantastic! I believe we are going to use your Submod for future releases! I certainly will be

Thanks, Celtic.
    Last edited by Celtichugs123; August 17, 2011 at 01:07 PM.
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

- J.R.R Tolkien

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Dingwall & Rosemarkie - I disagree. Tingvallr area was important for both people. Why for the Vikings? I am unsure, perhaps becouse it's at the end of a Fjord. But the Dingwall area has also Pictish stones. But eitherway, the area at this time has increasing Viking activity, so Tingvallr would be much more appropriate to coincide with the Culture difference etc. Rosemarkie would of had little to no signicifance, I doubt there was anything their during this time bar the one Pictish stone found there. The Pictish Stone of Rosemarkie is much less important than the Stones found surrounding it. If you compare the Rosemarkie Stone, Class II, with the older Class I stone of Strathpeffer (just outside of Dingwall/Tingvallr). So, (for historical accuracey and 'completeness') I still feel you need to remove Ros Mhaircnidh and replace it with Tingvallr and this Submod will be perfect - for Scottish changes anyway!

Well, infact alot of your work where suggestions I was going to give to Gigantus for furture releases. But the work you have done for Scotland in your Submod is quite fantastic! I believe we are going to use your Submod for future releases! I certainly will be

Thanks, Celtic.
    I must agree with Celtic. You should definitely change it back to Tingvallr. Of course, it's your mod... but I think Celtic is correct in saying it was more important. Just my two cents

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    I must agree with Celtic. You should definitely change it back to Tingvallr. Of course, it's your mod... but I think Celtic is correct in saying it was more important. Just my two cents
    then Dingvall is in game again

please, this is not my mod. this is tLK´s team mod, I just want a little help to better accuracy. and I will be glad if they wil implement this to tLK. but it is their mod and their decision

so, it looks that Scotland is fine.
    what about Ireland, is here anybody (from team), who has any idea about Ireland? I did some changes here too, replaced/renamed some settlements or regions, added 4 new regions. but the are some questions:

Waterford - it is not clear if it was founded in before mods start or later.
    Limerick - what name for it? irish or Vikings? while you use Vikings names for their bases in Ireland I think it could be Vikings name. but again Vikings raided it in mods start era, only later they used it as permanent base.

*Places Heathen's coins in his pocket*

Just wanted to say how pleased I am with your work, One-Eye, I havn't given much attention to Ireland and England (& Wales). Even if I did I wouldn't be much help, but your work on Scotland is outstanding! And I believe we (the team) will definantly be using your Mod in a future release!

Well done!

Waterford, I may be making this up, but I believe the Vikings founded a settlement (which would become Waterford) near an already existing Irish settlement. Not sure, though.

Thanks, Celtic.
    Last edited by Celtichugs123; August 18, 2011 at 05:49 AM.
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

- J.R.R Tolkien

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by One-Eye View Post
    Waterford - it is not clear if it was founded in before mods start or later.
    According to tradition it was founded in AD 853, so i'd just go with that. If there was anything it was probably a temporary military camp turning into a town around 914.

Limerick - what name for it? irish or Vikings? while you use Vikings names for their bases in Ireland I think it could be Vikings name. but again Vikings raided it in mods start era, only later they used it as permanent base.
    Limerick should be in irish, the name refers to that area where the town was founded (in 922 according to this) something to note is the irish didn't build towns so there was believed to be settlement earlier it would have been less centralized.

An option that i would be more in favour of is have many of the names in irish but use the script to change the name if taken by the norse and change it back if the irish retake it. This i think could work for some saxon/viking towns aswell? Eoferwic/Yorvik?
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

it is long time age when I did any huge changes in units rooster, so I have one question:
    do you tLK guys use bodyguard units of factions also for rebels/slave? I mean for battle_map.

to smoesville,
    yes Limerick will have irish name.
    I found some records that Waterford was etablished around 845 AD.
    tha name changes is very nice idea (I thought about this), but some years ago Iˇve tried this and had still CTD (I am not good codder ).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast