Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roman Marketplace

Praepositus
    Citizen

Default Roman Marketplace

One of the busiest spots in Rome, the marketplaces were always good for a visit. Shops littered the surrounds, selling vases, rugs, furs, anything one could desire. Few shoppers, however, perused these when the slave traders came. Then, a grand stage was set up in the market square, a crowd gathered around. Slaves, ten at a time, were brought up and paraded to the eager crowd.

In all, the noisy marketplace made a good place for a discussion, or just a place to walk. Today, the slave traders cried louder than ever.

"Come all, come all, see the finest slaves Gaul has to offer! Young women, for your houses, obedient, or strong men, for the Colosseum! All slaves a hundred Denarii, this week only!"

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    OOC: This is just a thread where anyone can meet up, RP looking at the markets/buying slaves etc. Basically just an RP thread.

Praepositus
    Citizen

Default Re: Roman Marketplace

Decimus, with his trusty bodyguards clearing his path, walks slowly around the market, keeping one eye upon the stage. The traders always waited until last to showcase their best produce.

That one!

Severus pointed to a lad of about fifteen on the platform.

He's been well fed? You lie, Milo. For something so sinewy I must insist on half the normal rate. It will be a month at least before he can do the sort of work I require of him in his present state?

Praepositus
    Citizen

"Well then, might I suggest you buy one which can, Severus..."

Says a dry voice appearing behind Severus.

"Though in honesty, I wouldn't waste your money on these runts, last time I bought one of Milo's, he lasted about a week. On a farm. No, you are much better waiting for Marcus, he always has the finer produce Severus. Why I believe that the twins..."

He waves his hand to signify his two bodyguards...

"... were from Marcus."

Decimus smiles, as though proud of this.

Quintus came with some acquaintances to buy slaves for his newly bought latifundum. When he saw the Consuls he walked towards them.

"Oh, Honourable Consuls how do the stock looks like this year?"
    These fine gentlemen's have thanks to their consistent idiotic posts have earned their place on my ignore list: mrmouth, The Illusionist, motiv-8, mongrel, azoth, thorn777 and elfdude. If you want to join their honourable rank you just have to post idiotic posts and you will get there in no time.

Praepositus
    Citizen

Decimus grins mischievously.

"I hear that the greek girls are particularly fiesty, if you get what I mean eh!"

Quintus broke into a wide smile

"Well I guess I will have to see if those rumours are true, however since I recently bought a Latifunda most of my funds will go to buying strong male agricultural workers. I wonder if those newly enslaved Gauls will do any good or if they're still to fierce."
    These fine gentlemen's have thanks to their consistent idiotic posts have earned their place on my ignore list: mrmouth, The Illusionist, motiv-8, mongrel, azoth, thorn777 and elfdude. If you want to join their honourable rank you just have to post idiotic posts and you will get there in no time.

Praepositus
    Citizen

"I think that, if shown the end of a whip, they should soon get working! Though if you must, do not ever purchase from the man named Milo, the vile, cheating snake that he is. He'll have your money quicker than you can say Rome that one will!"

"Well I prefer to buy my slaves as my horses, already broken so I do not have to spend time and money myself. As for that Milo fellow I will trust your advice."

Quintus then began to scan the slaves present, looking for the ones who were strong but wouldn't cause any trouble.

The boy is mine, and I'll make him prove his mettle eventually. Hopefully he will be smart enough to learn Greek so he can communicate a little better with my more learned servants. Knowing how the Greeks operate I wouldn't be surprised to find the boy in their beds for some tutoring sessions.

These lot aren't for you, Quintus, Gauls taken fresh from the province, wild and savage. If you do decide to invest you would do well to beat them soundly before trusting them.

Severus withdrew some coins from his purse and went to deal with Milo. After some intense haggling Milo led the boy to Hostilius, who secured him until Severus was ready to leave

Praepositus
    Citizen

Decimus murmurs incomprehensibly in response, for he was looking at a fine beauty of a slave who had just walked on stage. Muttering something about must be gallic, he rushes off with his purse. Literally throwing the required amount at the trader, he orders Regulus to grab the slave, where he takes her to stand next to the boy Severus had just purchased.

"Now then, where were we?"

And I thought you doubted the quality of Milo's. It seems this one is, er, well proportioned, if not somewhat starved.

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

Corva enjoyed the market and everry once and awhile felt it was his duty to go there and make his prescence known to the people. The plebs were kept at a distance by unarmed guards (this was within the sacred pomerium after all), but the poor knew not beg from him anyways. Other senators preferred to be hoisted around on litters, but Corva saw that as an oriental luxury that his doctor assured him led to gout.

Coincidentally, the Consuls were in the market buying pricey slaves. Although Corva was not opposed to slavery at all, he would of never done the business in public. Also, the hypocrisy of employing slaves instead of the masses of underemployed freeborn plebs by populists was a darkly humorus irony.

Though that was none of his concern....he was here to check on the sales one of the plumbing companies he owned, indeed not glamorous but essential to the roman way of life.
    Last edited by Aetius; August 15, 2011 at 05:13 PM.
    Blut und Boden

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Petronius arrives in the market, talking with his steward, down from the Umbrian hills. He notices the Senators gathered around the stage and approaches them.

Good afternoon, noble Senators. It seems that we are all here to see the latest stock from Gaul. Tell me, have I missed any prize catches?
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Praepositus
    Citizen

"Only one, Petronius, and that was by me. Otherwise, the same old rubbish that Milo sells. We're waiting for the more respectable traders to come, though Severus has dipped into his purse to buy a male. I have a bet that he will last but a month..."

He wouldn't last a day in the mines. But I have some other uses in mind for him. I'm expanding my garden and I could use someone to prune it when I'm away and perform various other tasks. If he grows at all it will be to the latifundia for him though.

Severus looks at the boy, who has begun to shiver.

I think I want a refund...

Praepositus
    Citizen

Decimus gives an 'I told you so' look and smiles smugly. Then the crowd applauds for Milo's departure, and silence as the next trader, Marcus, steps up with his produce. The girls a well formed and pretty, mostly from gaul though some greeks. Then followed the men, tightly chained to show off their muscles, and though all are on the skinny side, none are underfed, simply given the right amount to survive and do hard labour all day every day. Then, after his speech, the furious bidding resumes for the best of the produce.

Now I find myself in need of more coin. But where are all the larger men? These are still too small for my farms...and the women are next to useless as well.

Severus looked them down, not impressed with what he saw.

Quintus buys a couple of the more muscular slaves.

"I think these ones will be excellent as field workers and if they prove to fierce they will find employment in my trade Galleys."

I would have thought you had revived the old traditions, Quintus, and sacrificed a few of them to Fortuna if I didn't know better. News of your exploits in Alexandria have been spread all over the merchant quarter. I have some interest in maritime matters as well, though it would appear my captains are not as skilled as yours...I congratulate you on your economic conquest of Egypt!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast