Thread: Using matchlock during the battle

Default Using matchlock during the battle

Hello guys.

Matchlock is a great weapon that is in some way supreme to the bow, as it offers its user higher damage, penetration and range. But always when i used matchlock units during the battles I've had the exact same problems over and over.

First of all they cannot be positioned behind your forces as they will eventually shoot your own units in the back and barely scratch the enemy, second in order to be effective matchlock unit needs to be put into 3 rows to deal maximum damage, but as well all know during the battle such maneuvers may take more time and redeployment on a hilly terrain can be a problem.

So in 90% of my battles using matchlock units they are only effective at first minutes of the game before the enemy closes in towards your forces they rain hell on them, but as soon as the enemy closes down , i pull my matchlock back behind samurai and most of the time they just stand there , as in the majority of situations if i want to put them on flanks so that my samurai fight in the middle and matchlock rain hell on the enemy from asides, but its very risky as there are most likely to be cavalry units behind the enemy lines and or they're own archers / ashigaru / samurai that will intercept the matchlock and slaughter them in the melee.

So my question is how exactly can you use these units effectively and efficiently, or as they really a unit that that works well for 40 seconds and then stands still till the end of the battle.

Thanks.

MatrixStorm's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Using matchlock during the battle

Quote Originally Posted by c.ryo View Post
    Hello guys.

Matchlock is a great weapon that is in some way supreme to the bow, as it offers its user higher damage, penetration and range. But always when i used matchlock units during the battles I've had the exact same problems over and over.

First of all they cannot be positioned behind your forces as they will eventually shoot your own units in the back and barely scratch the enemy, second in order to be effective matchlock unit needs to be put into 3 rows to deal maximum damage, but as well all know during the battle such maneuvers may take more time and redeployment on a hilly terrain can be a problem.

So in 90% of my battles using matchlock units they are only effective at first minutes of the game before the enemy closes in towards your forces they rain hell on them, but as soon as the enemy closes down , i pull my matchlock back behind samurai and most of the time they just stand there , as in the majority of situations if i want to put them on flanks so that my samurai fight in the middle and matchlock rain hell on the enemy from asides, but its very risky as there are most likely to be cavalry units behind the enemy lines and or they're own archers / ashigaru / samurai that will intercept the matchlock and slaughter them in the melee.

So my question is how exactly can you use these units effectively and efficiently, or as they really a unit that that works well for 40 seconds and then stands still till the end of the battle.

Thanks.
    The usefulness of these units is discussed in another topic.
    So far we all agree that matchlock units are best used at the castle walls.
    They have perfect defence there against archers and other units.

I'm also looking for a tactic involving these unist as 'plan B' units.
    I'll post it in the other topic if my new tactic is succesful.