Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: United Kingdoms: Norway, England...

Big Pacha's Avatar Campidoctor

Icon3 United Kingdoms: Norway, England...

Hello

First of all, thanks to danova & the team for renewing the interest of Med2 total conversion modding, which was quite asleep after reaching heights with Broken Crescent, Third Age or Call of Warhammer (+ some others, I know).

Again, great job guys

Now... I've read the script a bit and noticed that, apparently, TLK uses the Union of Kalmar (Kg. Teutonic) script to create a unified viking realm, the Kingdom of Norway. Am I right? I guess It occurs when one Norse factions wipes out the other + control some more viking "rebel" settlements.

If so, It would be awesome for Anglo-saxon factions to be able to create the Kingdom of England + maybe the Kingdom of France could arise from either "East Franks" (I changed it for Carolingian Empire) or "Normans". Same w/ Ireland & Scotland. But then I don't know if the Union of Kalmar Kg scriptcan be used more than once ingame.*

That would be AWESOME

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: United Kingdoms: Norway, England...

England only happens after 1066, even if it is united it certainly wouldn't be called england, the kingdom of France doesn't reach into our map until much later, Scotland is Alba already, but Rìoghachd na hÉireann (Ireland) is a good suggestion.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Fine with me!

although England should be made possible, regardless of History. The Norman invasion takes place at the end of the timeframe (1066) & It's not a doomed outcome.
    TW games are about rewriting History, even if accurate historical settings are very important at the beginning of the game.

My point: the end (1066) is made by the player so... a saxon player could "win for England" & beat the Normans this time.

Anyway
    ... It's possible to script mutiple "United Kingdoms" + there's definitely Norway emerging, which is great.

I'll make this guy appear and it kinda sounds like a King of England, if not entirely united...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adalsteinn

Historian - all things Viking Son of absinthia

Celtichugs123's Avatar Senator

Yes, 'England' happened after 1066. And yes, TW is about rewriting history: 'making your own Ceaser' etc. But 'England', just doesn't sit right with me. There is Brytenwalda, however this is completely different and slightly more difficult to explain, never mind to implement ingame.

Alba already exists. High King of Ireland is possible. Remember this is a Beta, still, so these suggestions may come in future releases.
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

“For myself, I find I become less cynical rather than more--remembering my own sins and follies; and realize that men's hearts are not often as bad as their acts, and very seldom as bad as their words.”
    - J.R.R Tolkien

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

I would love to see the Kingdom of England arise, or a Kingdom of France, regardless of history. This is Total War, for God's sake, not a history book.
    Interested in how Attila and the new LONGBEARDS DLC plays?

Check out my Total War Attila: Jutes Let's Play: http://youtu.be/rFyxh4mj1pQ
    Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE
    Total War: Attila with ERE vs Sassanids GEM at max settings:
    http://youtu.be/jFYENvVpwIs
    Total War: Rome II Medieval Kingdoms Mod Gameplay: http://youtu.be/qrqGUYaLVzk

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

As i know the Union of Kalmar script can be used only once in a game!
    Last edited by danova; August 12, 2011 at 09:08 AM.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by danova View Post
    Well then Norway was the right choice.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Nooooooo! You killed me!

Come on... King Kong (Third Age mod leader) already proved that almost EVERYTHING is possible with Med2 modding.
    Did you see these awesome new custom settlements?

I'm sure the Team can do something to duplicate the Kalmar script - at least for Eire (Ireland) who has the same start settings ingame (2 rivals + rebs)

@Ulfhednin cool

@Celtichugs123 and that's why I'm making these suggestions. In the meantime, I'll try to unify Norway.
    Considering that IRL I represent Breivik's worst nightmare, let me enjoy the irony of the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pacha View Post
    Nooooooo! You killed me!
    Come on... King Kong (Third Age mod leader) already proved that almost EVERYTHING is possible with Med2 modding.
    Did you see these awesome new custom settlements?
    I'm sure the Team can do something to duplicate the Kalmar script - at least for Eire (Ireland) who has the same start settings ingame (2 rivals + rebs)
    Please help us in this case! I'm opened but we have limited resources and times ...

Custom settlements? i wrote about three-four time ... To much job for every cultures and we are a small and tired team!

Please help us in this case! I'm opened but we have limited resources and times ...

Custom settlements? i wrote about three-four time ... To much job for every cultures and we are a small and tired team!

Just an example of a modification that was supposed to be impossible. The TATW Team proved everybody wrong and did it. Same w/ Giant Creatures (not needed in TLK, no "fantasy" here) etc.

I'm not a dev but I'm pretty sure some other modding teams could help about that issue.
    IMO It's worth asking them.

BTW I just did my 1st battle w/ Hordaland Vikings and the unit graphics are really stunning

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pacha View Post
    Just an example of a modification that was supposed to be impossible. The TATW Team proved everybody wrong and did it. Same w/ Giant Creatures (not needed in TLK, no "fantasy" here) etc.
    I'm not a dev but I'm pretty sure some other modding teams could help about that issue.
    IMO It's worth asking them.
    I just repeate myself:
    ... we are a small and tired team!
    Sorry mate, but we got to much suggestions and ideas, but less help!

Then I will try to find who did what in these other mods and see if they can help you.
    Simple intel

That's the best I can come up with

unifications of Ireland (via Kalmar script) is a little off history. Ireland was never united in mods era. yes there were High Kings, but this title belongs to most powerfull King of petty irish kingdoms.

England did not happend only by Normans. there was united Anglo-Saxon kingdom (Engla rice). also the Kalmar script would be the best for Canute the Great (king of England, Denmark and Norway).

Ceasar Gubius's Avatar Ducenarius

First off, I have to begin this with how impressed I am with the Beta version, I mean really you guys have outdone yourselves ! I look forward to seeing released full content!

But I was reading this and I have to say, I don't quite agree with the reluctance to make a unified realm of England attainable... Eventhough the established infustructure we know and love today , wasn't born until 1066 with William the Conquerer's rise to power. The concept of a unified England was first mentioned in literature by Alfred the Great, probably the first real King of England (Only achieving this due to the Danes wiping out the othe Anglo-Saxon kings )... But even then there were a few other times where England would be unified (Under the banner of Wessex) in 927 by Aethalstan and in 953 by Aedred before the Danes came again and crushed the Saxons lol... Finally, you cannot say that England was NOT united with Edward the Confessor's reign over England starting in 1042.... Point being, the concept of a unified England prior to 1066 is definatly historical.... Thank You
    RTR RULES!!!!

Pretty sure that England became a largely unified realm under Alfred's grandson Aethelstan?

TaronQuinn's Avatar Semisalis

Yep, IDK why everybody keeps saying that the 'Kingdom of England' was after 1066, because it is quite clear that Aethlstan was the first king of a united England from about 927 on...139 years before William the Bastard and the Normans. he even claimed the title of King of All Britain after defeating Constantine of Scotland. So it would make perfect sense to allow for a Kalmar type script event for a 'Kingdom of England'. Or at least open up new units and options in the same way the Normans can when they convert. Maybe some improved fyrd units to reflect Alfred's reforms, or do something to improve their speed to reflect the mounted household troops.

Basically, the requirements would be the same as the victory conditions, with specific settlements. Defeat the other 3 Anglo-Saxon kingdoms, and hold x,y,z, etc. settlements.

TQ

As i feel this discussion based the "we can use two or more kalmar script" in the code on a camapign!

But i fear:
    Last edited by danova; August 13, 2011 at 03:39 PM.

Ceasar Gubius's Avatar Ducenarius

Indeed, as far as all other mods have shown, the best way to describe the Kalmar Union script is, "There can be ONLY ONE!!!" ... But to throw in the towell would indeed be daft lol. There are ways around this indeed . I shall comence to explaining

1st. You must decide what concept is MORE deserving of the kalmar union script, Norway, England (Saxon OR Norman), Ireland, or even a Reunited Frankish Empire... I am of the opionion that Ireland is, BUT my opinions are besides the point!

2nd. For the other "reunited" concepts, turn them into hereditory traits that that your royal family will maintain AS LONG as they hold certain areas... Another benifit of this, is it is open to ALL factions and concepts really! FOR EXAMPLE:

1. High King of Britain (For Wales or Scotland)
    2. King of England (All the Saxons, Normandy, or Denmark)
    3.Emperor of the Franks/Europa (Eastern Frankish Empire)
    4.High King of Ireland (Irish factions and Scotland)

The List of Ideas goes on and on and on and on.....

3rd. I know for a FACT that you can script it that factions can only recruit certain universal units IF they hold certain goals. THAT would be the goal when attainig many of these titles. As well as improved stats on your monarch's ruling abilities...

But for instance, I could see some of those titles allowing the recruitment of a hypothetical professional army (Only real professional army ingame is EFE).... Anyways, hopefully you all liked this, thanks
    RTR RULES!!!!

hello,
    appeal to you for permission to use your units for my mod Kingdom Saxons

sorry for bad english (I translated in google )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast