Thread: DLV 6.0 AAR: The Chronicles of Rioghachd h n-Alba (Introduction 8/11)

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Default DLV 6.0 AAR: The Chronicles of Rioghachd h n-Alba (Introduction 8/11)

The story of Rioghachd na h-Alba starts in the year of our Lord 843 when Cinaed mac Aiplin, known as Kenneth I, also called “An Ferbasach” or “the Conqueror” unified the territories of the Picts and Scots as “Rex Pictorum” or “King of the Picts.” Cinaed started a dynasty, the House of Aiplin, which would last seventeen kings and one hundred and eighty-six years. It was during the reign of his son Causantin mac Cinaed, known as Constantine I of Scotland, that the rulers of Alba began to use the title” Ri Alban” or “King of the Scots” which would be use by successive kings of Alba.

In the year of our Lord 1034 many consider the House of Aiplin to end with Mael Coluim mac Cinead known as Malcolm II, who had no offspring of his own. However, it must be noted that most of the House of Dunkeld, the ruling family of Scotland starting in the year of our Lord 1034, are descendents of Kenneth I. Therefore, the Dunkelds are but a continuation of the House of Aiplin. During this time period, Rioghachd na h-Alba was rife with civil war and unrest. The first of the House of Dunkeld, Donnachadh mac Crinonain, known as Duncan I, called “An t-Ilgarach” or “the Diseased”, was killed by Mac Bethad mac Findlaich, known as Macbeth, in the year of our Lord 1040, thus taking the crown to himself. There was no immediate resistance to his reign and he was able to take a pilgrimage to Rome to visit the holy places. However, in the year of our Lord 1052, conflict began with the Kingdom of England, which invaded in the year of our Lord 1054 with many losses on both sides. Macbeth survived the invasion but was later killed by Mael Coluim mac Donnchada, the son of Duncan I, in the year of our Lord 1057. Lulach mac Gille Coemgain, Macbeth’s step-son, then took the crown of Alba and reigned seven months and two days before also being killed by Mael Coluim mac Donnchada, who ascended to the throne and became known as Malcolm III in the year of our Lord 1058.

Malcolm III, also called “Canmore” or Big-head” ruled until the year of our Lord 1093, marrying Margret of Wessex from the Kingdom of England, when he died in an ambush and was succeeded by his brother, Domnall mac Donnchada, known as Donald III, who was called “the Ban” or “the Fair.” During his reign, his nephew, Duncan II rose up against him and succeeded in becoming king, but was soon killed thereafter and Donald III resumed his reign. Three years later, another son of Malcolm III’s named Etgar mac Mail Cholium, known as Edgar, called “Probus” or “the Valiant,” claimed the throne of Alba backed by William Rufus of the Normans, gaining the crown in the year of our Lord 1097. After reigning ten years, he died leaving no posterity allowing his brother, also a son of Malcolm III, Alaxandair mac Mail Cholium known as Alexander I called “the Fierce.” He is remembered as being very religious but also as one who was “terrible beyond measure to the rest of his subjects.” In comparison to the reigns of his predecessors, Alexander I’s reign was rather a peaceful one, however, his illegimate son, Mael Colium mac Alaxandair would revolt against his successor, David I.

David I, named Dabid mac Mail Colium, also a son of Malcolm III, took the throne in 1124, after the death of his brother. Mael Colium mac Alaxandair revolted against his uncle and for ten years fought for control of Alba, before David I finally beat him. It was during David I’s reign many changes occurred in Rioghachd h na-Alba. Many ideas of the Gregorian Reforms were introduced, monasteries were built, Alba’s first coins were produced, burghs or what can be called Alba’s first towns were created, the royal court administration was changed to be more like the Normans to the south, feudalism was introduced and immigration of French knights and others changed Alba forever.

David I died in the year of our Lord 1153, leaving no living sons behind. Therefore, he arranged for his grandson, Mael Colium mac Eanrie to take the throne becoming Malcolm IV also called “Virgo” or “the Maiden.” Many claim that he is the original “Canmore” or “Big-head” and not his great-grandfather, Malcolm III. He had many rivals for his throne and most of his reign was spent dealing with them and trying to appease Henry I of England. It was during this time that England or Normand de Royuame de Angleterre, exerted its strongest control on its lands from York to London than it had ever before, prompting Malcolm IV to stay in the good graces of Henry I. Malcolm IV died at the age of 24 in the year of our Lord 1165 from a mysterious illness, and was succeeded by his brother, Uilliam mac Eanrie, known as William I, called “Garbh” or “the Rough. “ William I was very headstrong and he paid for it during his reign, as did Rioghachd h na-Alba.

In the year of our Lord 1173, William I joined in the Revolt of 1173-74 against the Norman crown. He was captured at the Battle of Alnwick in the year of our Lord 1174 by Henry II and ransomed back to his people. The ransom included: Alba’s citizens paying taxes to the English crown to pay the soldiers occupying Alba, the Scottish church falling under the control of the English church, and William I swearing fealty to Henry II, acknowledging him as his superior. This was all agreed to in the Treaty of Falaise in the year of our Lord 1174 and William swore his fealty to Henry II in the year of our Lord 1175.

Upon hearing about the Treaty of Falaise, most of the Rioghachd h na-Alba rebelled, including the cities of Dumfries, Aberdeen, and the castle, Inverness. The rebels were led by Rauol mac Gille in the north, Sean mac Coengain, to the south east of Edinburgh, which was the only city which remained loyal and on the west coast of Alba, Aaron de Glanvill reestablished the kingdom Dal Riata, which had not existed since Alba was unified in the year of our Lord 843.

Once William I returned from his captivity in Normandy, he set about rebuilding his forces to take back the lands which were once his and reunite the Rioghachd h na-Alba under his banner once again. He changed the family name from mac Eanrie to mac Mail Cholium in remembrance of his ancestor Malcolm III, who also had to take his kingdom back from usurpers. He also changed the title “Ri Alban” to “Righ Alban” adding his own style to the king’s title and also instating his banner of a lion as the Royal Banner of Rioghachd h na-Alba.

With the promise of ten thousand merks or marks for the treasury from the council at Edinburgh, William I set out to recapture Aberdeen with his sons, Alaxandair and Seumas. William I also had two daughters, Issobell and Mael.

In the year of our Lord 1182, William I successfully besieged and captured Aberdeen only losing one man.

Alaxandair also led an expedition to capture a small fort under Sean mac Coengain’s control. The records of the battle have been loss but the fort was easily taken and Sean’s influence in the area greatly weakened. However, Sean’s main force was still too strong to confront so William I focused of regaining the castle, Inverness, with the promise of another ten thousand marks for the treasury from the council. Once again he set out with his sons to confront the rebels but was ambushed by a larger force led by Raoul mac Gille. Despite fighting bravely, Righ Alban William I was killed on the field of battle by Raoul himself.

Upon their return to Edinburgh with their father’s body in the year of our Lord 1184, Alaxandair was crowned Righ Alban and Seumas as Tanaiste, or prince.

Around this time their sister Issobell who had come of age, met with dignitaries of Tuiathe of Eire and was able to secure trade rights and an alliance with the people of Ireland. This was good news as the former diplomat for Alba had died at sea when the Alban navy was destroyed by pirates. She was also able to obtained trade rights with the Normans, who had lost much of their land to rebellions as well on the isle.

The next year, Righ Alaxandair with Tanaiste decided to head north again to bring Inverness back into the fold. He was besieging the castle when Raoul arrived with a relief army determined to destroy the royal House of Dunkeld. Now outnumbered and trapped from the south by Raoul and the Inverness garrison to the north Righ Alaxandair, now known as Alexander II, prepared himself for battle, positioning his men on top of a steep hill which led into a valley. Facing Raoul first, Alexander II ordered his archers to fire into the oncoming onslaught of men and then used his cavalry to charge downhill into Raoul’s forces effectively destroying them and Raoul before they even engaged his infantry. After beating Raoul, Alexander II turned he army to face the Inverness garrison and ultimately destroyed them as well, marching into Inverness unmolested. It is still one of the greatest victories in Alba’s history and a monuments stands on the field on the battle as a testament to the bravery of the loyal soldiers of the Rioghachd h na-Alba.

With Rauol’s defeat, Northern Alba has been reunited with the exception of the Kingdom of Dal Riata, which still claims it independence. With there still other strong rebel elements within Alba borders and the aggressive Normans to the south, only Providence and strong leadership in the coming years would keep Rioghachd h na-Alba alive…

Last edited by Scottish King; August 11, 2011 at 10:01 PM.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: DLV 6.0 AAR: The Chronicles of Rioghachd h n-Alba (Introduction 8/11)

Mod: DLV 6.0
    Faction: Rioghachd h n-Alba (Scotland)
    Difficulty: Medium/Medium (First time playing this mod )
    Scripts: All except AI garrison script
    Goals: Survive

Woop! Finally able to post in a mod AAR forum cause I finally got it to work! I always wanted to do an AAR with Scotland and DLV offered the perfect circumstances and story building medium. The first post is a introduction to the story and most of the details given are historical fact but of course some have been changed to fit the story. Hope you enjoy!!!
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)