Thread: Celtiberia

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Default Celtiberia

Celtiberia

Celtiberia, the region spreading across the centeral highlands of Iberia. Neither Celtic, nor Iberian, the Celtiberians were a complete blending of the two cultures. The people of Celtiberia wore torques with Iberian design. The warriors used the famous Iberian swords will keeping their traditionaly Celtic shields. This fusion of culture didnt not happen over night. Infact, it only occured after several bloody wars. Surronded by foreign peoples the Celtiberians had to fight to surive. Their capital at Numatania was some of the best natural defenses that any city would ever be able to claim. From here the Celtiberians would go off to far away lands to serve as mercenaries to the highest bider.

Their language was distinctally Celtic. Not the Celtic of Gaul, but of a much older stock, which meant that Celtiberians would have a hard time communicating with the Gallic cousins. To frustration of modern historians the Celtiberians used Iberian script to write, which uses letters to spell syallables. This can mean for very hard translating as the same letter can mean many things. In latter times the Celtiberains would adopt Latin script which would prove much more effective.

Little is known of the Celtiberians. One thing we know is their contemporaries noted their great hospitality. However, they were also fierce fighters. While Rome would conquer the rest of Iberia, Celtiberia would remain a thorn in her side. The siege of Numatania took a whole of nine years, in which many Roman generals would head back home with their tail between their legs. Only when 60,000 romans besieged the meger defense of 8,000, could the Romans finally defeat their troublesome enemies.

Though Celtiberia had fought very hard for her indepence, conquest by Rome was inevitable. Sharing a similiar phate to the rest of Iberia, Celtiberia would become heavily romanized, and as a result the Celtiberian culture would become extinct, in sharp contrast to the Galatians who maintained their ways till the end.

*All info from Philospher and the Druid, but summarised for easy reading by Kscott.
    Last edited by Kscott; March 31, 2006 at 06:09 PM.

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Arcarius's Avatar I Am Fable

Default Re: Celtiberia

good job mate.
    Formerly Heilige Legioen, and the original Fable

Neat and informative. Thanks for the info. But why? Just wondering. Seemed kind of random.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128

There are many such things. Its called an historic Article. I try to write many of them becuase
    1) they are fun
    2) I think atleast someone gains knowledge from everyone I write.

As long as those conditions are true I will continue to write them

Plus its always intresting when people add their two cents...

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Final Frontier's Avatar Just roaming around

Yes, I love it when people post information about the things least thought about, good read. I never knew Numatania had good natural defenses. Were they rivers or mountains, or something else I cannot think of?

Happiness is a warm gun... | "Only a life lived for others is worthwhile." -Albert Einstein
    Bang bang, shoot shoot...19| Under the patronage of therussian
    | "I couldn't resist."

Its on a high hill completly surronded by low valley. Perfect for defending.

MY TWC HISTORY

Final Frontier's Avatar Just roaming around

I see...Also, I googled "Celtiberia" and found this picture:

That's what I envision it as, and it should be fairly accurate, correct?

Happiness is a warm gun... | "Only a life lived for others is worthwhile." -Albert Einstein
    Bang bang, shoot shoot...19| Under the patronage of therussian
    | "I couldn't resist."

Wow, great pic. Looks to be very accurate

MY TWC HISTORY

TRSjarmen's Avatar Semisalis

I think atleast someone gains knowledge from everyone I write.
    Indeed, good stuff, i always enjoy reading such things as this, so you can add me as a having learned something

I find the siege of Numantia interesting, how the Celtiberians were so "fanatical" that they killed themselves rather then surrender to the Romans under Africanus. How Africanus starved them basically to surrender, mainly by cutting their supply route from the near by river, by placing logs with sharp objects (swords, knives, and so on) in the river so no supplies or boats could get across to the besieged town.

lol, just noticed a mistake.

The warriors used the famous Iberian swords will keeping their traditionaly Celtic Swords.
    That should say Celtic Shields as it does now...

MY TWC HISTORY

Maron's Avatar I'm afraid of everyone

Very informative... i enjoyed learning something new today.

i never realised that celt-iberians were that much different from the gauls.

thnx for the info,
    Maron
    In the Legion of Rahl Under the patronage of Corporal_Hicks

“I grew up middle class, white, my parents loved me. So I might not necessarily relate to what your circumstances were. I hear them and understand them, but that’s not an excuse for you to fail. Don’t come in here and say, ‘Well, you know, that’s just kind of the way I was brought up.’ No. If you’re in a bad way right now, it’s because of the choices you made in response to your circumstances. So change your choices.” -Gene Chizik

yes, this is one of the only example where migrating Celts actually merged with the native peoples. It really makes your realise how innacurate them being part of Gaul in vanilla is... Might as well put any celtic land, such as Britian, Ireland, and Galatia in there.

MY TWC HISTORY