Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wulfgar's Ice Torque Map mod.

Default Wulfgar's Ice Torque Map mod.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=428666

After Shogun 2 rekindled my interest in TW, I went back to working on a Mod combining Rio's IB BRG world with FOR's aesthetically pleasing troop units.
    An aspect I like greatly with FOR's barbarians is thrown javelins as the characteristic weapon. This may be very well in keeping with the age since the references to showers of thrown javelins are so common. And a smart Warrior who injured his opponent with a javelin before closing tended to live longer.

I prefer 60 men as the standard smaller Roman infantry unit for this later period. The legionaries I keep at double strength at 120 men who remain the "heavies" of the force. While the lighter Numerus filling a role the old Auxilia used to.

My preference is for a smaller cohort (numerus) of 300 (actual) men, another element is by this period a portion of the Numerus was lighter troops. Either javelin-men or later more commonly archers. However game wise these have to fight as their own detachments. My belief is at least one "Centurie" of each Numerus was lights in this period. For the Legion double cohort this means two "Centuries".
    Later known Byzantine practice had 256 (actual) man Numerus with a third of these being archers.

Having all your infantry as 80 man units I find a trifle dull.

Ice Torque's giant map presents some problems.

Large Map means great distances and heaps of hard coded corruption and loss of funds. Rio overcame this with lots of buildings provide a trade and law boost. For me this was overdone and I removed the trade aspect of things like city walls. I dropped troop costs back to vanilla levels.

I always drop "The base morale level" back to Vanilla levels feeling an army of berserkers was not historically valid.

The basic Roman troop legions, cohorts and maybe basic cavalry I give a metal stat of "3". These romans might well equipped but they can lose without good leadership. I also extend the building period for these basic Roman troops to 4 turns for cavalry and numerus, and 6 turns for the legio.

For surviving comitatus legio with higher morale I use mercenary veteranii which can hired but with Rio's mercenary fort can be retained to full strength. These can be built but I gave it 15 terms.

The trick for me is limiting how fast and how good the Romans can create troops, history refers to difficulty in this regard. Rome even in the 5th century is vast and power, I needed to have more weakness in this regard.

Default Re: Wulfgar's Ice Torque Map mod.

Sounds interesting! How far along are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post
    Sounds interesting! How far along are you?
    Well I actually started playing it as WRE, I'm about 80 turns in and have now hit a bad hiccup with CDT's. I have to find out whether it was a random bad save or something more serious. Earlier on I got an unstable game because I think I allowed too many slaves to build up on the large map. I notice RIO has the slaves on high exclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by wulfgar610 View Post
    Well I actually started playing it as WRE, I'm about 80 turns in and have now hit a bad hiccup with CDT's. I have to find out whether it was a random bad save or something more serious. Earlier on I got an unstable game because I think I allowed too many slaves to build up on the large map. I notice RIO has the slaves on high exclusion.
    Is the error-ctd during a battle or campaign turn? Slaves should not cause ctd during the campaign but during a battle they can if not accessed with proper textures or cas files

-I may be able to iron a few things out for ya if you want to send me what you got done

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    Is the error-ctd during a battle or campaign turn? Slaves should not cause ctd during the campaign but during a battle they can if not accessed with proper textures or cas files

-I may be able to iron a few things out for ya if you want to send me what you got done
    Well it's a campaign CTD, battles don't give me a problem. I could send the entire Data folder at 2Gb, how does one go about that?

Well it's a campaign CTD, battles don't give me a problem. I could send the entire Data folder at 2Gb, how does one go about that?
    Break it up into 3 and put in a rar format. Then upload em to file megaupload or front

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Looks cool. There might be an issue with the texture names in (I think) the Descr_battle file. I'm pretty sure that's the file but when moving units around in MMFA's mod I had to do some texture reference fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Looks cool. There might be an issue with the texture names in (I think) the Descr_battle file. I'm pretty sure that's the file but when moving units around in MMFA's mod I had to do some texture reference fixes.
    This has nothing to do with a campaign ctd Aetius. It can for in game battle ctd(descr_model_battle)from improper or missing textures but thats not the issue he is currently having.

In this case after so many turns have gone by it can be an events or Descr stat error, incorrectly paced units from two factions within a same city etc.. It depends what has been changed for currently and previously the warmap campaign is stable
    Last edited by Riothamus; August 10, 2011 at 11:14 PM.

Break it up into 3 and put in a rar format. Then upload em to file megaupload or front
    Ok, I joined megaupload. Compressed as a rar file the Data file comes to 850 Mb, so it appears it could remain in one piece.

I'll pm you with the download address when I'm finished uploading.

This has nothing to do with a campaign ctd Aetius. It can for in game battle ctd though but thats not the issue he is currently having
    Yep game battles seem to have had no problem what so ever, simply the campaign turns are giving trouble.

Yep game battles seem to have had no problem what so ever, simply the campaign turns are giving trouble.
    Dl it and will look at this weekend

I have made many changes to it including the addition of the RS2 environmentm, map, units etc.. since the last VGR upload so I'm expecting this to be more from the BRG IV and w/your own changes

Dl it and will look at this weekend

I have made many changes to it including the addition of the RS2 environmentm, map, units etc.. since the last VGR upload so I'm expecting this to be more from the BRG IV and w/your own changes
    Thanks Rio.

I made another change to my home game last night and upgraded Saxon generals to cavalry. The tribe is destroyed too often by the their leadership being wiped out. I suspect it has something to do with them being infantry.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

This has nothing to do with a campaign ctd Aetius. It can for in game battle ctd(descr_model_battle)from improper or missing textures but thats not the issue he is currently having.

In this case after so many turns have gone by it can be an events or Descr stat error, incorrectly paced units from two factions within a same city etc.. It depends what has been changed for currently and previously the warmap campaign is stable
    My mistake, but I still had in-battle crashes as well, but I think that's cause my computer is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    My mistake, but I still had in-battle crashes as well, but I think that's cause my computer is crap.
    A trick might be to check and make the CPU heatsink is well in place. On my older 2004 computer, RTW tended to cook the GPU's at regular intervals. Another trick is to open the GPU fan and lubricate it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Mine was built in 1998, has a 733 mhz processor, 640 mb RAM and a 64 mb Radeon gfx card.

Thanks Rio.

I made another change to my home game last night and upgraded Saxon generals to cavalry. The tribe is destroyed too often by the their leadership being wiped out. I suspect it has something to do with them being infantry.
    Loaded it it up and the 434AD campaign starts fine but the 463AD campaign crashed as it was about to load. Thats usually a minor thing that is probably from an incorrect character name. Will look and see how it all runs soon

I don't play the 463 AD campaign but it starts up fine my end. Maybe the upload is faulty, I'll have to check by downloading it myself.

I don't play the 463 AD campaign but it starts up fine my end. Maybe the upload is faulty, I'll have to check by downloading it myself.
    K..I only had to delete the map rwm. all set. Some interesting unit changes. Will take a spin with it hopefully tomorrow

K..I only had to delete the map rwm. all set. Some interesting unit changes. Will take a spin with it hopefully tomorrow
    I assume it was a map rwm left over from standard Rio.

I started another campaign, I wonder if I'll hit snags at around 80 turns again.

A key element is the forced alliance with the Visigoths, without that I'd get seriously rolled. I've made the standard Roman troop although well equipped rather low morale. Winning fights without a name general is tricky. Clawing back pieces of the Western Empire are not always easy. It all depends how serious a pest a particular Barbarian wishes to make themselves.

I brought back roman peasants in the hoard formation, readings of history indicate such local defense groups did exist. They appear to have been the followers of wealthy patrons and often appeared in revolts.

For's Hun's can be seriously dangerous and the legionaries are not effective against them. German infantry are mainly spearmen, either of a basic type or a noble type with greater elan.

Mine was built in 1998, has a 733 mhz processor, 640 mb RAM and a 64 mb Radeon gfx card.
    Ok, I forgot about that. Now I understand Rio's crack about not making it past the loading page. That's not even bare bones for RTW. I'd look around S/H for something a little bit more up to date perhaps amongst associates with a spare machine.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

The Ram is twice as good as required, but the processor... not so much. Lol I almost have a new computer it's an HP DV6T with a 2.3 Ghz I5 Processor and 4 Gigs of Ram
    I Just got a computer from a friend yesterday, he was taking it to a yard sale but I like to screw around with computers so I took it off his hands. It has a 1.6 GHz Processor, 224 MB of RAM, and an NVidia 64 MB (or more) GFX Card and was made in 2001. I'm gonna buy a Ram upgrade and use that for RTW probably until I can get my new laptop.

Also, my old computer rarely had problems with FoR, or Vanilla RTW, and doesn't have problems with mods I've done. You ever modded a Ghost to shoot Rockets in Halo? Roflmao.

Anuf about that did you fix the issue with the textures?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast