Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Empire in history?

IMPERATOR_5's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Greatest Empire in history?

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilianus
    I don't know if I would say Rome was as politically powerful as America. I doubt a Roman could walk up to a Parthian or Sarmatian and say something along the lines of "do what we want or we'll sanction you" and have that be enough for one of them to back down. Military force isn't even a problem anymore. Countries are so afraid of our military power (or, more specifically, our military power deposing their autocratic rulers) that we can bully anyone. Only problem is, that is not being done well right now, but in principle there is supposed to be a Pax Americana over the whole world. Rome at its height probably controlled less land and was constantly being invaded, while its political strength steadily declined.
    USA=wannabe rome... (ofcourse every one knows that but still) and they are doing a good job too. yeah USA can push around other countries and they are puting most of their money in to military uses. most than any country of the world. but I dont think that the US doesnt dare to push around china or russia. and american culture is spreading around europe more then ever. In Sweden (where I live) it's just mostly american shows in almost every swedish channel. and same with washington and rome. All the memorials of the dead presidents is almost like temples that was for the roman gods or dead emperor's. Imagine Europe to be one big country then it would get intresting. A republic ofcourse.

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix33
    I estimate USA is in their Marcus Aurelius era...
    by marcus aurelius era you mean its the begining of the end for the US?

Merged double post, please use the edit button whenever you want to add something-Valus
    Last edited by Valus; March 30, 2006 at 06:16 AM.

Livelee's Avatar Laetus

Of course id have to say The British Empire, being patriotic and all.

But also the Romans, cannot deny them that!!
    We'll get the beer safe, then we'll outflank em!!! - Billy Bright

actually europe could rise to be a superpower..just have the same policy with economy and other states..but its almost impossible..with countries like uk that are being the little americans slave

I think we can't directly compare. Times has changed along with communication, politics. Add globalisation to this and you have completely different background.
    But there are some similarities between USA and Rome - both are multiethnical and multicultural states with one culture on the leading edge but slowly replaced by other, external. Both play a role of order keepers. Both have firece, never totally beaten enemies. Both are industry leaders (with some states very clse or even ahead in few branches). They both have strong infuence on culture of nearly entire world (it is not always good).
    Well, USA for long time took place of Rome of our days (in my eyes). I estimate USA is in their Marcus Aurelius era...

also the americans put their eyes to other countries after ww2..same did romans after the punic wars..but still a lot of things are different from rome and they will never last so long

Quote Originally Posted by Hub'ite
    I can bet if Alexander would have lived a long life his empire would have lasted a lot longer than it did. He didn't have time to fully pacify his empire.
    dont think so..the romans made alliances and then bring it in their empire..and after gave the same rights to the provinces...the hellenic states influcend other countries or just conquered by force..

Merged tripple post, use the edit button whenever you want to add something-Valus
    Last edited by Valus; March 30, 2006 at 06:19 AM.

yeah, but its a good dream.. ... it's something worth fighting for

by marcus aurelius era you mean its the begining of the end for the US?
    Hmm, not exactly. For example current Iraqi war is in my eyes similar to war against Markomans and Quads. Marcus Aurelius Era can be hardly named the beggining of an end. Rome had her moments of glory after too. And... There are conclusions to be taken from history. It doesn't have to repeat. But if not... well... i see similar dangers before US...

but still a lot of things are different from rome and they will never last so long
    I agree. Time is running faster now because of globalisation and technology. Everything will last shorter.

actually europe could rise to be a superpower..just have the same policy with economy and other states..but its almost impossible
    As you said - impossible. Too many differences, wounds in history and splited interests (and nationalism). The only thing which could unite is seriuos, global danger. I mean DANGER. But even then I seriously doubt. Europe is similar to Rome too - at the very end. Peoples are passive, selfish. They can't look forward, have no willpower, do not want risk their lives. Of course there are the ones that do but I speak about general view...

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

We are still in the Middle Republic Era, we are facing no problems similar to that of the Late Republic, and we don't have an Emperor. Think about it, McArthur accepted his firing and just went home instead of leading a Coup de'etat, and he had enough support in the Army to do it.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Hmm, not exactly. For example current Iraqi war is in my eyes similar to war against Markomans and Quads. Marcus Aurelius Era can be hardly named the beggining of an end. Rome had her moments of glory after too. And... There are conclusions to be taken from history. It doesn't have to repeat. But if not... well... i see similar dangers before US..
    just wondering.. some people calls that era between marcus and commodus the begining of the end.. dont know why
    maybe because marcus was the last of the five good emperors I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Farnan
    We are still in the Middle Republic Era, we are facing no problems similar to that of the Late Republic, and we don't have an Emperor. Think about it, McArthur accepted his firing and just went home instead of leading a Coup de'etat, and he had enough support in the Army to do it.
    Please... I'm not talking about political system. I mean country and its general (social, ethnical, political, industrial, military, cultural etc) situation.
    But even... Your president has power far exceeding anything one person could hold during republican era (except war time). So...
    But I don't want to argue. This is my private view. You don't have to share it.

"Look by far Cyrus does deserve the name Great but the only real enemy he had to face was Nabonidus of Babylon at Opis and then he occupied Babylon. (According to the Babylonian inscription, this was probably a bloodless victory).Alexander had to face northen tribes(Thraces,Illyria ect.), Thebes, Persia, Poros."

Bloodless? One battle?

Not only do we have the three year war with Media as attested by Plutarch (using the "Persica" of ctesias a physician at the Persian court)

we have the war with Lydia involving first a battle near the river halys followed by the seige of Sardis as attested by herodotus.

We also have the fact that Opis was a full scale battle - not a simple affair. And it was this battle that probably led to such a capitulation from Babylon. As attested by Herodotus.

We also seem to be forgetting the vast conquests of the eastern empire that fall into obscurity due to a lack of "importance" or "Interesting Stories" in Herodotus's words

oh and the conquest of Ionia in herodotus, i almost forgot that one.

I understand you don't mean to diminish his title but his military record is vastly underestimated.

now thats out of the way -

Top empires for me are in no order

the roman empire
    the Achaemenid Persian empire
    the British empire
    han empire
    byzantine empire

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

British Empire, the first true/long standing GLOBAL empire

the empire of the new (relatively) age.

Roman Empire was also damn good (obviously), they did conquer a lot after all (back then you couldnt really have proper global empires..the means to have them didnt exist.)

I havent read every page yet, but why the hell are people talking about america as the greatest empire?

Thats just so unbelievably stupid im a little stunned. :disgust

Quote Originally Posted by Carach
    I havent read every page yet, but why the hell are people talking about america as the greatest empire?

Thats just so unbelievably stupid im a little stunned. :disgust
    I advice to read everything carefully before judging.
    But... if you still say this same after... well, that's just your opinion and I regard your right to express it...

i read a couple of quotes off this page and it seemed to suggest 'america pwnz all lololz suckerz' kind of thing.

Only Aemilianus' post could fell under your description so far and his vision wasn't supported. I would consider others to be rather calm (despite being sometimes very far from each other). No, I think you're overreacting littlebit.
    But in my private opinion there are similarities between Rome and USA (see above posts). But... many bad processess from Rome are currently running in States...
    Again - my private opinion. I do not force anybody to share it.
    Regards

did rome destroy their allies too? :/

Quote Originally Posted by Carach
    did rome destroy their allies too? :/
    As far as I know Rome's allies sooner or later became roman province... :ninja
    But lets finish this subject please because this is off-topic and I'm afraid can mutate in unpleasant argue... And then evil mod will come...

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

The Empire upon which the Sun never sets, my friends: the British Empire!
    Of course, an honourable salute to the Roman Empire!

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

I can't understand how the United States is even given the title of 'Empire'... They have a damn evil military force and some scary nukes but that dosn't make them an Empire. The British Empire was an Empire because they controlled ALOT of land.. same goes with nearly all other Empires. USA is just a big powerfull modern country..

ok...can somebody please tell me...what the hell was so great about the byzantines???

Quote Originally Posted by sportfriend
    ok...can somebody please tell me...what the hell was so great about the byzantines???
    They survived many waves of barbarians, steppe nomads, Sassanids, Arabs, Muslims... they managed to survive more than a millenium.
    In patronicum sub Tacticalwithdrawal
    Brother of Rosacrux redux and Polemides

Aemilianus's Avatar Imperial Legate

Only Aemilianus' post could fell under your description so far and his vision wasn't supported. I would consider others to be rather calm (despite being sometimes very far from each other). No, I think you're overreacting littlebit.
    But in my private opinion there are similarities between Rome and USA (see above posts). But... many bad processess from Rome are currently running in States...
    Again - my private opinion. I do not force anybody to share it.
    Regards
    My post was not intended to say something along the lines of "America is awesome, bow down to America". My post was intended to say that we could influence world affairs, both diplomatically and militarily, to a large degree, and also that with a strong, capable president (which is something that we do not have right now, that could be implemented responsibly and of course with many allies and consensus. I was attempting to illustrate what we have done in the past and what we are capable of doing to show that in the broader definition we are an empire. Britain and the EU have that ability, with their increased credibility probably even more so today. The only problem with that is, they don't have hegemony anywhere, and don't really attempt to influence affairs to any large degree, therefore they cannot possibly be called an empire. In no way, shape, or form did I want that post to spawn a discussion on American "ownage". I meant it to spawn a discussion on the merits of the name "empire" and its legitimacy in this thread.

Edit- Matrix, with regard to the bad processes, I fully agree with you. Power is becoming increasingly concentrated in the hands of one man, and a very headstrong and stupid one at that. I would place our "Roman equivalent" right now at probably the Gracchi or a bit after, not to the point of the Dictators yet but we will see that before we all die if things keep going the way they are. In today's world, that is a dangerous path, especially considering the nuclear nature.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast