Thread: What Type Of Armor Is This Man Wearing?

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

Default What Type Of Armor Is This Man Wearing?

Just Wondering some info about his armor

Default Re: What Type Of Armor Is This Man Wearing?

I'm not an expert but the armour that samurai is wearing is
    a Kozane type Armor. It's similar to the Lamellar armor seen in China, the Byzantine empire and the Mongols.

It's not as heavy as European armour but it provides good protection. The reason it was lighter was because Samurai were more than just Heavy Cavalry. They required excellent swordsmanship as well as archery.
    Last edited by SeizeVictus; August 07, 2011 at 04:06 PM.

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by SeizeVictus View Post
    a Kozane type Armor. It's similar to the Lamellar armor seen in China, the Byzantine empire and the Mongols.

It's not as heavy as European armour but it provides good protection. The reason it was lighter was because Samurai were more than just Heavy Cavalry. They required excellent swordsmanship as well as archery.

Thanks for the info I was curious

It's definitely not a kozane-dô. Kozane means literally 'scales'. It seems to me that the dô(=armor around the body) is made of 2 plates and makes this armor an okegawa ni-mai-dô. This type of armor made its appearance during the second half of the 16th century, which make it ideal for TWS2.

Take a look at my avatar (i'm wearing such kind of armor)
    Also take a look here : http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.html
    Look at the glossary on this site, very interesting.

By looking back to the photo, i noticed that he is wearing an obi(=belt) usually worn with a kimono, not with an armor.
    Last edited by furinkazan; August 08, 2011 at 03:43 PM.

Yep, that's definately an okegawa ni-mai-dő, in fact all armor parts are ita mono, that is solid plate lames rather than lamellar.

Quote Originally Posted by furinkazan View Post
    It's definitely not a kozane-dô. Kozane means literally 'scales'. It seems to me that the dô(=armor around the body) is made of 2 plates and makes this armor an okegawa ni-mai-dô.
    The okegawa dou (dō) is an Japanese (samurai) chest armour of rivetted lames. Okegawa means “tub-sided” and refers to the tub-like shape of the dou (dō). There are two types of okegawa dou (dō): yokohagi (horizontal lames), and tatehagi (vertical lames). Ni-mai means that the dou has a hinge. An complete armor that uses a okegawa dou is called an okegawa dou (dō) gusoku.

In this picture you can see two gusoku with okegawa dou (dō): yokohagi (horizontal lames), and tatehagi (vertical lames).
    Last edited by american samurai; August 12, 2011 at 12:52 AM.

Japanese kozane armor is constructed from individual scales (kozane) made from iron or leather (rawhide). The individual scales would be lacquered and lashed together into strips and these rows would then be connected to other rows of scales to make a complete armor. Armor made from this type of individual scales that are attached to each other and formed into rows is called "lamellar" armor. The Japanese made two varieties of lamellar armor, ''hon kozane" (small scales) and ''hon iyozane'' (large scales). Hon kozane was very flexible while hon iyozane was stiff. Both types of these very labor intensive armors were replaced by plate armors with the okegawa dou (dō) being very commonly used as a replacement.

Hon iyozane dou close up, showing the scales (kozane). The kozane are covered with leather and lacquered and laced toogether.

Hon kozane dou close up showing scales (kozane). The kozane are individually lacquered and laced together lashed together horizontally also.