The results in this poll are hidden.
  • Yes

The results are hidden 0%
  • No

The results are hidden 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Farm troubles

Default Farm troubles

there's a problem lol. Kind of a big flaw, but farms are making it so people can make ungodly amounts of money very quickly. I suppose its ok if people aren't bothered about some people making that much money. If not the quickest solution is to impose a cap on the amount of farms someone can own. Any objections? If we decide to change it we'll decide on a cap as a group. Anyone who has more farms than the cap limit will be refunded their purchase. Putting in a cap makes more sense to me since land in Italy and Sicily is not infinite. It would also allow farms to be treated more as real estate. Presumably a farm could be sold from senator to senator.

Farming bonuses will be changed regardless, its just a matter of doing it the easy way (as I outline above) or the hard way (where people may become unhappy)

Default Re: Farm troubles

Sure, there's also the problem how unprofitable large farms and latifundas are compared to the small farms.
    These fine gentlemen's have thanks to their consistent idiotic posts have earned their place on my ignore list: mrmouth, The Illusionist, motiv-8, mongrel, azoth, thorn777 and elfdude. If you want to join their honourable rank you just have to post idiotic posts and you will get there in no time.

Praepositus
    Citizen

Good idea Ponti, stops people becoming uber rich, plus promotes the other ways of income.

And, I would say no cap on slaves, as it is only a small effect they have on increasing (0.5% each)

@molon- just ran a model in excel which says I have 5 of each farm, and 20 slaves on each. Small Farm income = 11250, Large = 15000, Latifundium = 18750. this doesn't take into account the amount paid for buying each however
    Last edited by ulti; August 07, 2011 at 11:55 AM.

It does give an air of Soviet-like "efficiency" doesn't it? How about something like this:

Small farms: 2
    Large Farms: 2
    Latifundia: 1

This is a temporary solution but imo this problem can take the back seat for a while. There are other things that need doing and we've edited the living out of our income spreadsheet (which we are lucky to have in the first place) to the point of hair-ripping insanity. This makes adding slaves not only a more realistic, but logical way to improve farming output.

That looks good, the requirements have to be removed then though.
    These fine gentlemen's have thanks to their consistent idiotic posts have earned their place on my ignore list: mrmouth, The Illusionist, motiv-8, mongrel, azoth, thorn777 and elfdude. If you want to join their honourable rank you just have to post idiotic posts and you will get there in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by molonthegreat View Post
    That looks good, the requirements have to be removed then though.
    Yes they do, once everyone knows the changes we've decided to make everyone can just ignore that rule.

Praepositus
    Citizen

Or, just say that to buy the next level farm you must own the max current level farms.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    It does give an air of Soviet-like "efficiency" doesn't it? How about something like this:

Small farms: 2
    Large Farms: 2
    Latifundia: 1

This is a temporary solution but imo this problem can take the back seat for a while. There are other things that need doing and we've edited the living out of our income spreadsheet (which we are lucky to have in the first place) to the point of hair-ripping insanity. This makes adding slaves not only a more realistic, but logical way to improve farming output.
    Oppose, I've 6 small farms and my income isn't that big.

UNDER THE MOST HONORABLE PATRONAGE OF: Legio!
    PATRON OF: Wangrin, ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔, Geronimo2006 and Narf!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bucky View Post
    Oppose, I've 6 small farms and my income isn't that big.
    I have one and my farm income is over 8,000. This is why the system needs reworking. Some people don't make much at all, some make way too much. Once again, I'm trying to make changes to more equitably balance out the game to my own character's detriment.

That's because you have a standard income of 15000 or something around that, the problem is there, the ones that hold high positions win much more with the farms.

That's because you have a standard income of 15000 or something around that, the problem is there, the ones that hold high positions win much more with the farms.
    Yes. And within three paydays I could march on Rome with five private legions if I was playing a more revolution-minded character. Eventually I do want people marching on Rome with five legions, just not during the infancy of the game.

We could use roll dice, since farms don't give always the same income that would be good, farms would have a base income of 50 or something around that, then roll dice would be used according to the farm size. What do you think?

I agree with the Limit Ponti put forward.

We could use roll dice, since farms don't give always the same income that would be good, farms would have a base income of 50 or something around that, then roll dice would be used according to the farm size. What do you think?
    A good suggestion, but we're already rolling a lot of dice every turn...I can't imagine complicating that system further at the present time.

Praepositus
    Citizen

Think of the poor spreadsheet Bucky...

We could use in a easy way. Every week roll dice would be use tree times, 2 dice for all small farms, 3 dice for large farms, 4 dice for Latifundia. Don't know, it's just a idea.

We could use in a easy way. Every week roll dice would be use tree times, 2 dice for all small farms, 3 dice for large farms, 4 dice for Latifundia. Don't know, it's just a idea.
    Eventually something more or less like that will be done. For now I'm putting a bandage on the leaky dam because there's a lot of other stuff that needs doing. One of the hectic parts about launching a new game.

I've made the corresponding changes to the rules, we should adjust our ownership now.

So this means that I'll have to give up 4 of my small farms? Or I can still keep them since I already had them?

Give them up. You can count them for this payday then refund their purchase price to yourself. (then I would reinvest that money in slaves and put them to work on your farms to maximize profits)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast