Page 52 of 109 FirstFirst ... 22742434445464748495051525354555657585960616277102 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 2171

Thread: [Spoilers] Game Of Thrones - Clash Of Kings ( SERIES )

Mangerman's Avatar Only the ladder is real

Default Re: [Spoilers] Game Of Thrones - Clash Of Kings ( SERIES )

No, he has the strongest vault in Qarth, the story that no thieves or locksmiths could open it was only to prove this to Dany. That he needs such a vault to protect his riches shows how immensely rich he is and he tries to lure her into a marriage by promising her half of what's behind the sealed door.
    Last edited by Mangerman; April 30, 2012 at 01:40 PM.

I see. Looking at the interactive map, the scale of this world seems to call into question how the residents of Qarth would even follow the politics of Westeros. It would be a little like a merchant in Egypt knowing or even giving a $#%& about what happens in feudal England. Doesn't that seem a bit strange? Everybody in Essos seems to know whats happening in Westeros. Don't the people of this continent have their own politics to worry about?

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by EireEmerald View Post
    This was the best episode of the season.
    I thought so too...

Quote Originally Posted by RZZZA View Post
    I see. Looking at the interactive map, the scale of this world seems to call into question how the residents of Qarth would even follow the politics of Westeros. It would be a little like a merchant in Egypt knowing or even giving a $#%& about what happens in feudal England. Doesn't that seem a bit strange? Everybody in Essos seems to know whats happening in Westeros. Don't the people of this continent have their own politics to worry about?
    He's not any merchant, he's one of the Thirteen on the ruling council, so he would know foreign affairs. There is trade between Westeros and Essos, even if direct contact between Westeros and Qarth might be rare. And the death of a king is a fairly important event, especially if it leads to a massive civil war. Merchants especially would want to be aware of such instability. It's been many months since Robert dies, long enough for the news to make its way to Qarth.

Speaking of geography problems, did anyone else notice that Catelyn and Brienne traveled from the coast of the Stormlands, across the Reach, and a good way through the Westerlands over the course of the episode? I understand that they're trying to get her back to the Robb storyline, but it seemed a bit too little time to cross such a vast space of land.
    Last edited by Stark of Winterfell; April 30, 2012 at 01:58 PM.

Still, it seems strange that a foreign merchant and a foreign Dothraki girl consider it perfectly plausible that they can just raise an army and march into Westeros and people would support them. There have been civil wars in European history before but I can't remember one time when a foreigner seized power. I don't believe there's ever been a nobleman from Egypt to rule in England...or France...or Germany...or anywhere in western Europe. Nor a Mongol either.

They know what's happening in Westeros: but as Jorah says, they don't know Westeros. Though Dany and Xaro's thought process might also include the fact that Dany has dragons. That can do an awful lot to overcome an animosity of foreign rule. Remember, Dany thinks it's her right to rule and has been brought up to believe that her family was loved by all; thus it's still hard for her to consider that she will have to prove herself to the Westerosi to win her throne back. She's sort of like Stannis in that regard, except she's a lot more likeable.

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Quote Originally Posted by Stark of Winterfell View Post
    He's not any merchant, he's one of the Thirteen on the ruling council, so he would know foreign affairs. There is trade between Westeros and Essos, even if direct contact between Westeros and Qarth might be rare. And the death of a king is a fairly important event, especially if it leads to a massive civil war. Merchants especially would want to be aware of such instability. It's been many months since Robert dies, long enough for the news to make its way to Qarth.

Speaking of geography problems, did anyone else notice that Catelyn and Brienne traveled from the coast of the Stormlands, across the Reach, and a good way through the Westerlands over the course of the episode? I understand that they're trying to get her back to the Robb storyline, but it seemed a bit too little time to cross such a vast space of land.
    The entirety of the time scale of this show makes no sense.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ulyaoth View Post
    That's a problem with the books as well really.

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Still, it seems strange that a foreign merchant and a foreign Dothraki girl consider it perfectly plausible that they can just raise an army and march into Westeros and people would support them. There have been civil wars in European history before but I can't remember one time when a foreigner seized power. I don't believe there's ever been a nobleman from Egypt to rule in England...or France...or Germany...or anywhere in western Europe. Nor a Mongol either.
    Well this isn't our world. Although this world might be based on our world in some aspects, you shouldn't completey compare their histories and occurings.

Are you criticizing the book or the show? Because this is an adaption of a book that was not meant to be adaptable, I think they are doing pretty ing well. You try fitting this book into ten hours of film footage. I am sick of people being critical all the time, I really don't understand it.
    Last edited by EireEmerald; April 30, 2012 at 02:30 PM.

Not to mention that Theon is in Pyke one minute and besieging Torhen's Square the next, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by EireEmerald View Post
    Well this isn't our world. Although this world might be based on our world in some aspects, you shouldn't completey compare their histories and occurings.
    I'm just making an analogy to make my point: how the show is stretching the bounds of suspension of disbelief.

Good point about Theon's fast travel as well. I'd say travel and transitions are probably the weakest parts of the show. I'm not sure how they'd demonstrate the passage of time better, but it certainly is a week point. And many times the scene abruptly transitions to characters hundreds or thousands of miles away with no indication that it is doing so. I've thought several times that if I hadn't read the books it would be a bit confusing to follow.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

The Moorish invasion of Spain and Sicily would, probably, be a comparison. Though they didn't have Dragons..

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    The Moorish invasion of Spain and Sicily would, probably, be a comparison. Though they didn't have Dragons..
    Qarth seems to be quite a bit farther from Westeros than North Africa is from Spain and Sicily. If we're equating Spain with Westeros, and the Mediterranean with the Narrow Sea, then Qarth must be the equivalent of Damascus, and the Dothraki sea must be the equivalent of the central Asian steppe.

In other words we're talking about a distance that is very far away, indeed. I mean look at this map:

http://i.cdn.hbo.com/custom-assets/e...view_areas.jpg

Danaerys is all the way in the lower right hand corner of this map right now. The climates of these areas alone suggests that a vast distance separates them.

Blog Entries

I thought you were referring to the cultural differences as much as the pysical distance.

march into Westeros and people would support them.
    In that sense, the Moors being Muslims by that time were as far removed from Christian Spain as they could get. Culturally they were from Damascus, in a sense. It would be the same if the rulers of Essos assimilated the Dothraki.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; April 30, 2012 at 03:34 PM.

I think you mean that a foreign power can conquer another nation even if it is a vast distance away, in that case I agree. But the scenario laid out in the series is that Daenyrs and her foreigners are one of many claimants who would presumably, not forcefully conquer the nation, but somehow win over the support of the people through show of force or mere presence.

I equate that with a Mongol general somehow bringing an army into France and believing he can win the support of the French and they would proclaim him king. Even if that mongol had a good claim through marriage or lineage, it just doesn't strike me as believable.

I know that in Europe historically foreigners have seldom gained the support of the populace of a kingdom. William of Orange for example. But the difference between the English and the Dutch is much less than the difference between the English and a Mongol or a Turk or something. There's no way a Turkish/Mongol-backed claimant could ever win the throne in feudal western Europe, and similarly I doubt a Qarthian/Dothraki-backed claimant should reasonably be expected to win the support of Westeros.

Or maybe I'm drawing this Westeros/Europe analogy out too much and I should take this show less seriously, there's always that.
    Last edited by Ishan; April 30, 2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Double Post

Blog Entries

Ah, but Dany isn't actually Dothraki. As the last of the Targaryen's (confirmed) she has as strong a claim to Westeros than any of her competitors. Her problem is she isn't in Westeros and doesn't have an army to take it back.

I like the scene between Arya and Lannister.

Do you wonder who will be second and third Arya named?
    In tribute to concerned friends:
    - You know nothing Jon Snow.

Samples from the Turkish Cuisine by white-wolf

I realize that but she is also a Dothraki khaleesi, and she ate a horse heart, and she leads a band of Dothraki savages. She wasn't raised in Westeros and knows nothing about Westeros. Despite her lineage, she must appear just as savage and foreign to the people of the West as a real Dothraki would.

I mean the Iron Islanders don't even consider Theon to be one of them, and we're supposed to be led to believe that Daenyrs actually believes the people of Westeros would welcome her?

Quote Originally Posted by white-wolf View Post
    I like the scene between Arya and Lannister.

Do you wonder who will be second and third Arya named?
    Don't know why she didn't just say Jofre to begin with lol. I think everyone who was watching and didn't read the book was hoping for that as soon as the guy said that he would kill anyone.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Campidoctor

"And we get to live another day. Woopie do."

I am immensely happy that HBO cast Dolorous Edd

I liked the episode very much, the only real criticism is the rather rushed scenes at the beginning, it felt like Renly's death was a bit of an afterthought. Two nitpicks though and both to do with guards: where are Catelyn's guards gone - she had them previously; and surely Tyrion would wander through the streets of an increasingly unsafe King's Landing with more than just Bronn (as awesome as he is!)?