Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: CoW 1.4.4 - Easy and painfree Installation

Default Re: CoW 1.4.4 - Easy and painfree Installation

Quote Originally Posted by Kharn1986 View Post
    Be sure that the file names for each part (1 and 2) are the same (just the "first name", not the extension). Message like yours will appear when the installation can't access data because a specific part has an incorrect file name and is thus unrecognized.
    Last edited by Jean=A=Luc; August 23, 2011 at 09:28 PM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    Be sure that the file names for each part (1 and 2) are the same. Message like yours will appear when the installation can't access data because a specific part has an incorrect file name and is thus unrecognized.
    Thanks JAL. It's also mentioned in the instructions, although aimed at mixed downloads from the two download sites :
    Please note that the file names differ between MegaUpload and RapidShare, the latter does not allow spaces in the file name and replaces it with an underscore. If you 'mix & match' your downloads you will have to make sure the wording\name is the same for all files. The DO files' name is the one that has to be the same as the EXE file's.
    Thanks to THP for pointing that out.
    There is also the matter of file size we had before: apparent complete files had the wrong file size. With the exception of the two last DO files all files have to be exactly the same size.

I agree. However, it is not like I changed the names of the files once I downloaded them. Do you mean, perhaps, that the files, when installing, need to be in the Call of Warhammer mod folder? I would be surprised if that where the case.

Also, since the error occured during part 1 installation (about 2 min after start), I doubt the issue resides with any connection error between part 1 and 2.

Literally, I just downloaded the rapid share files. When everything was downloaded, I launched part 1 exe and then it screwed up.

Blog Entries

Your error indicates that a file cannot be accessed. The following reasons are possible:

- the file part has a different name or does not exist (you ruled that out)
    - the file part is corrupt

Two minutes into the installation is either the EXE or DO1, depending on the percentage displayed when the error occurs. Check also for the file sizes as mentioned earlier, this will be an indication as well.
    In either case you will have to download that part again.

If you have a reasonable fast connection, then I would suggest to download the torrent, those files should be error less (approximately 150 downloads and no complaint).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gracul View Post
    Actually the window mode is either as stable as the full screen mode, or more stable.
    When u play the game on fullscreen directx uses an exclusive mode which means that it can print stuff directly to output instead of asking the system for it. This means that some of the systems functions can be suspended for the time, resulting in more processing power and memory for the game itself. During alt+tab a lot of things happen to the system, as it has to switch from exclusive mode, freeze the games video output, and then restores the systems suspended functions. Sometimes with poor memory management of the game this can lead to a crash, and im not saying that the guys at CA dont know how to manage memory, im saying that it's just pretty damn hard even for professionals with a couple of years of experience. Anyways, we don't live in 2006 any more, and med2's engine doesn't even tap to most of the resources of our dual-tripple-quad-core processors or 1gb graphics cards - so an exclusive mode is essentially useless +while tabbing out of it crashes might occur, meaning that the window mode is in fact more stable for mtw2.
    As for the borderless window, it's just initializing mtw2 without a caption bar, letting it fit into the resolution given at the game menu. Nifty stuff.

And i can't believe i ran into something like this just by going out to download another mod.
    Your explanation (nicely done, wasn't aware of it) leads me to believe that the increase in stability of my version must have a different reason - and it's not the script because I haven't touched it.

Great this mod finally seems to be maturing into something that can grain wider appeal

Awesome

Also please seed!!! Need to finish this download before getting away on the trip

Blog Entries

Right now: 18 seeds, 42 leechs, 146 downloads - going strong according to the trackers.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the Dark Elves. I gave up on Toho's mod, instead going back to Reiksfarts mod. However, in there, and in vanilla too, Malekith the witch king is dead at the start of the campaign. He died in the year 0, a little more then 2500 years before the first turn. The heir stays heir forever. I don't have a faction leader, just an heir.

I don't even know where to put this XD I hate dark elves. I don't know if its more common, but perhaps you could solve it in your version? A possible cause might be that he is spawned at the age of 81. The Dark Elves also are not at war with anyone, not even the rebels.

EDIT: a reinstall later, same thing happens.Installing Reiksfarts mod, which also changes the descr_strat file with the starting conditions doesn't make a difference. Making Malekith younger (his other family members as well, so he's still the oldest) causes the campaign to stop working. When I start a new campaign after changing his age it just goes back to main menu after pressing start campaign, no loading screen at all.

Oh, and I'm playing as the orks now, I got sick of Dark Elves and their problems :C
    On an other note: dark elves are neutral with rebels. This is a bug, I think.
    Last edited by Elitewolf; August 24, 2011 at 03:38 PM.
    I salute those who took the Hungarian Phrasebook simply because of the quote!

jnecros's Avatar Miles

one, the Witch King and the Phoenix King are removed by a script, and this is working as intended as far as I know

I am not sure that the Dark Elves not being at war with most factions is a bug or not, but they do recieve an interesting alliance offer that can lead to other wars, and it is easy to declare war on the rebels or other factions yourself..doesn't seem like a big deal to me

Quote Originally Posted by jnecros View Post
    one, the Witch King and the Phoenix King are removed by a script, and this is working as intended as far as I know

I am not sure that the Dark Elves not being at war with most factions is a bug or not, but they do recieve an interesting alliance offer that can lead to other wars, and it is easy to declare war on the rebels or other factions yourself..doesn't seem like a big deal to me
    Wait, so it's intended to not have a faction leader?

Dark Elves don't exactly seem like a bunch of peace loving hippies.A human can declare war easily, I'm not worried about that. I'm more concerned about the ai dark elves. The alliance with Slaanesh doesn't necessarily lead to war.

This might explain why the dark elves have never ever ever done anything in my games. Or maybe it's just me.
    I salute those who took the Hungarian Phrasebook simply because of the quote!

jnecros's Avatar Miles

Malekith, the Witch King of Naggaroth would not leave his stronghold without a good reason (this is in another area not shown on COW's map). The COW Dark Elves are pretty much a scouting party, and are more like a minor power in Chaos Storm, as with the High Elves. Older versions of COW, not sure about the latest update, have scripted invasions by Dark Elves into Empire holdings, and they land a sizable force so they can manage to be something of a threat, but they are not suppose to be like the major threat, not anything like the forces of Chaos are, and the Orcs are to Dwarves and others in that area.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elitewolf View Post
    I'm having a bit of trouble with the Dark Elves. I gave up on Toho's mod, instead going back to Reiksfarts mod. However, in there, and in vanilla too, Malekith the witch king is dead at the start of the campaign. He died in the year 0, a little more then 2500 years before the first turn. The heir stays heir forever. I don't have a faction leader, just an heir.

I don't even know where to put this XD I hate dark elves. I don't know if its more common, but perhaps you could solve it in your version? A possible cause might be that he is spawned at the age of 81. The Dark Elves also are not at war with anyone, not even the rebels.

EDIT: a reinstall later, same thing happens.Installing Reiksfarts mod, which also changes the descr_strat file with the starting conditions doesn't make a difference. Making Malekith younger (his other family members as well, so he's still the oldest) causes the campaign to stop working. When I start a new campaign after changing his age it just goes back to main menu after pressing start campaign, no loading screen at all.

Oh, and I'm playing as the orks now, I got sick of Dark Elves and their problems :C
    On an other note: dark elves are neutral with rebels. This is a bug, I think.
    You may have a better response posting in the threads of those sub mods.

So I downloaded the mod through the torrent provided by gigantus.

The mod finally downloaded and installed properly. However, I still can get past turn 5. Unspecified error every time.... wtf

I have included hereunder the last few lines of the log in case people can figure out the prob.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    23:28:03.609 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/Call_of_Warhammer/data/banners/textures/Faction_banner_hungary_trans.texture (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    23:28:03.609 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/Call_of_Warhammer/data/banners/textures/Faction_banner_hungary_trans.texture (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    23:31:21.096 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Call_of_Warhammer/data/banners/textures/faction_variations/hungary/Faction_banner_hungary.texture
    23:31:21.097 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/banners/textures/faction_variations/hungary/Faction_banner_hungary.texture
    23:31:21.097 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/Call_of_Warhammer/data/banners/textures/Faction_banner_hungary.texture (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    23:31:21.097 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/Call_of_Warhammer/data/banners/textures/Faction_banner_hungary.texture (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    23:31:21.098 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Call_of_Warhammer/data/banners/textures/faction_variations/hungary/Faction_banner_hungary_trans.texture
    23:31:21.098 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/banners/textures/faction_variations/hungary/Faction_banner_hungary_trans.texture
    23:31:21.099 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/Call_of_Warhammer/data/banners/textures/Faction_banner_hungary_trans.texture (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    23:31:21.099 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/Call_of_Warhammer/data/banners/textures/Faction_banner_hungary_trans.texture (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    23:31:28.352 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Call_of_Warhammer/data/banners/textures/faction_variations/hungary/Faction_banner_hungary.texture
    23:31:28.353 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/banners/textures/faction_variations/hungary/Faction_banner_hungary.texture
    23:31:28.353 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/Call_of_Warhammer/data/banners/textures/Faction_banner_hungary.texture (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    23:31:28.353 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/Call_of_Warhammer/data/banners/textures/Faction_banner_hungary.texture (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    23:31:28.354 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Call_of_Warhammer/data/banners/textures/faction_variations/hungary/Faction_banner_hungary_trans.texture
    23:31:28.354 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/banners/textures/faction_variations/hungary/Faction_banner_hungary_trans.texture
    23:31:28.355 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/Call_of_Warhammer/data/banners/textures/Faction_banner_hungary_trans.texture (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    23:31:28.355 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/Call_of_Warhammer/data/banners/textures/Faction_banner_hungary_trans.texture (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    23:33:08.550 [system.rpt] [error] Unspecified error. The game will now exit.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 24, 2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: added spoiler

Blog Entries

If you have installed before as your previous posts suggests, please have a look at this article and implement the suggestions.
    How To Fix UAC and VirtualStore Problems
    The part of the log that you copied deals with the textures of the battle banners - something that will not cause a crash. Please compress and attach the whole log as the error might be somewhere else.
    I also suggest to update the language installer as there were some text issues in the historic_event file that would crash the game at the appearance of the Ice_mage event. While you are at it, please install the patches from post #2 in this thread as well.

The entire log would've been better imo, sometimes errors are found way up.

Blog Entries

UPDATE

I went through the script, inspired by diadok's post and corrected all instances of that error, checked the script for further occurrences but found none other then the ones for the 'hungary' faction.

Other errors corrected:
    Added a ' = ' sign to several 'I_SettlementOwner' lines - notably the union scripts for Nurgle, Tzeenth and Co.
    Corrected some spelling mistakes which misfired some events (missing last letter in 'FactionTurnStart')

As usual this can be fund in the second post.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 25, 2011 at 11:02 AM.

Please find enclosed a copy of the log.

Also, Gigantus, if the How To Fix UAC and VirtualStore Problems is the problem, I have 2 considerations:

1. Why would all the other mods and the main game still function perfectly.
    2. Why would I have problems with my XP version? The link you sent specifically states that the problem is with Vista and W7 because they are not XP. If I am using XP, why would I have this problem?

I am downloading the patches and language installers as you mentioned and will keep you posted. I assume that I will have to start a new game once the patches are installed. Please confirm.

Thanks
    Last edited by Kharn1986; August 25, 2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: File would not attach

Blog Entries

Some parts of the patches are not save game compatible - you will have to start a new game
    The UAC tutorial is not applicable for XP users, I wasn't sure if you mentioned your operating system.

I checked your log but appart from missing trait description no concrete error can be found. Seeing lines like these:
    23:25:01.843 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/Call_of_Warhammer/data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/battle_capturebuilding.tga (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    23:25:09.012 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/Call_of_Warhammer/data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/battle_lostbuilding.tga (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    together with the incessant mentioning of the Hungary banner textures (which are present in it's folder in CoW) makes me believe that the crash occurred during a battle with the 'vampire' faction. I am afraid I can give no solution for that, other then doing an 'autoresolve'.

I do however have just added a debugged campaign_script in the second post where I have removed excess units for the spawns of the 'vampire' faction (more then 20 units in spawn).
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 25, 2011 at 10:25 PM.

thank you for your work Gigantus.
    i've noticed that reikland has the same town-symbol as sylvania on the campaign map.
    here is a screenshot for better explanation.