Thread: Storm Frontline Nation

Default Storm Frontline Nation

Official Game Site

OFFICIAL TRAILER

I've been a huge fan of all the Total War games for so long now, its become hard to imagine than anyone could come close to taking the TW style of gameplay and applying it to modern warfare, I was wrong. This game is the closest modern warfare setting game I've found yet to my beloved Total War. It has everything that Total War has, plus its completely open to modding. The developers have already released a guide to help the modding community with their own mods. I've already put one up on the official forums, the Semper Fitz Alliances and Tweaks mod, version 1.0. And I'm only using some tweak skills I picked up while modding MTW2, many years ago. Its that easy.
    Well, enough about my feelings on this great title, on to my review.

The game is turn based with simultaneous action phases, single or multiplayer. The setting is that the depleting resources of Earth has caused nations to go to war to vie for control of their own destiny. You can play any one of 45 countries, from Iceland to Egypt. Disappointingly, the map is currently limited to Europe and North Africa (Though, the USA is a playable country with a starting point in Egypt). You must master the arts of diplomacy, warfare, espionage, sabotage, economics, and timing. Build alliances, sign prolifriation treaties, complete the optional random missions and make all opposing factions fear your name. Oh yeah, you must learn to either dance with the AN (Allied Nations-Really, the United Nations-who refused to give the developers to approval of using their name) or go renegade.

There is a huge variety of methods to conquest. You can research nuclear, chemical, biological, missiles, or warfare technologies. Yes, you can make Anthrax Warheads, load them onto ICBM's and launch them at your rivals. You can launch nuclear warheads, from subs or silo's, or send a spy with a suitcase nuclear weapon for the more discreet approach. That's not enough? How about Q-fever, dirty bombs, cruise missiles, Mustard gas, Small Pox, ICBM's, Spies, Special Ops units... everything imaginable is here. Captured a spy, kill, "interrogate", or release him. Using a spy against another country, steal research, view regions, assassinate pesky people, hunt down other spies and kill or capture them. Need to stop an approaching stack of units, use a Spec Ops team to sabotage your enemies garrisons or bases, stopping their supply lines. While you are at it, plant evidence suggesting that another country did it, and not your Spec Ops.

The diplomacy on this game is deeper than any other game I've ever played. You can negotiate with one, or multiple countries all at the same time. You can info on exposed spies, trade WMD's, offer to join chemical, biological, or nuclear non-prolifriation treaties in order to bolster their opinion of you. You can form defensive alliances or offensive ones. Trade research, declare war, or demand money to be left alone. Oh yeah, you can offer cease fires if they don't want peace yet.

The AN (UN) is always watching you. If a country in good standing with the AN becomes extremely threatened, the AN may send "peace keeping" forces which are provided by other countries. Need more AN approval? Send them some units to help secure world "peace."

The units you can recruit are pretty slick. Infantry, mountaineers, engineers (very, very important in many different ways), paratroopers, tanks, Anti air, artillery, transport aircraft (for paratroops), fighter jets, bombers, choppers, and of course the entire spectrum of ships/submarines. As you research technology you unlock kits that can be added to units to make them different. The most versatile unit is the Infantry unit, which can use many different kits load outs; such as, mortars, light armor vehicles, anti tank, Netcentric Infantry upgrades..... on and on it goes.

The battles are semi-turn based, with simultanious action phases, and hex-grid. The phases are, deployment, orders, action, and reinforcement. You can drop para at anytime and also use fighters and bombers if you brought them.

There is so much more to this game, but I don't really have the time to type it all right now. Go check out the official website to see what I am raving about.

THE WEBSITE

My rating, 9/10. With a 10/10 for the ease of modding. We need more modders for this amazing game, come join us in the official forums!
    Last edited by verity_blues; August 06, 2011 at 01:48 AM.

Default Re: Storm Frontline Nation

from what i can see, this is more like Civ than Total War due to the absence of tactical battles. Civ with more diplo actions tacked on. Still quite interesting though. Thanks.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Just thought I'd let you know you'v convinced me to get this game!

I'd previously watched trailers and the likes, but I had no idea it went into detail like described, so thank you.

No problem. The games quite nasty, you're probably hooked in completely already.

nice game is nice. cept when i'm getting ganged badly.

Can someone please put out a list of countries in this game?

King of Belka's Avatar Campidoctor

This game looks great, scalewise