Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wir sind des Geyers- An Educational History of the Faustian Reich

Default Re: Wir sind des Geyers- An Educational History of the Faustian Reich

Another great update, I especially like the part explaining how the natives submitted to the Reich.

I got the idea while reading a short story in English Class. So kudos to Native American oral literature!
    "Romans, Senators, friends. Latium is firmly under the rule of the Senate and People of Rome. The Latin people are now one. Not since noble Brutus drove out the last king have we known such a glorious day. But now my friends, in this our of glory we must be on our guard! To the south, treacherous Greeks and Samnites block our trade. Tarquinii grows beneath a tryrant's heel. That tyrant threatens Rome! Will we abandon Tarquinii? And now Barbarians raid from the North, burning and pillaging Roman lands. Shall we let dager fester and grow? Or will we at as Romans with courage and dignity? Remember we are the Sons of Mars! As Senate leader I call upon tribunes Gaius Julius and Decius Brutus to smash the Gauls and releave Tarquinii. All those in favor say I!

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Excellent work here, my friend.

I do enjoy reading this. It feels like a genuine history lesson (which I for one actually like, so yeah, it's a compliment )

+rep to you

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

I loved the last part, Commissar. Now, I want ze Kaizer's Rifles. I want ze Reich's Line Infanterie crush zose Otterbach and Valiente schwein!
    +rep, I too like History Lessons.

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

Update! Its a little short, but I'm aiming to speed up my updates a little more, so meh.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CHAPTER FOUR: Rule the Waves
    Naval Power in the Reich

Although much of its military history is dominated by its famed line infantry and pikemen, the Reich was a major, if not dominant, seapower in Central Thera. The Reich possessed a large and formidable navy that protected its trade interests, both from pirates and rival nations. It was not just the number of the ships that was large, but their size as well. The Reich made use of Carracks, a relatively new type of ship which was exclusive to the Reich, and the Duke of Valiente. These ships made use of the Faustian Reich’s superior technology, allowing them to be built larger, and to sail faster than ships used by less advanced nations. Faustian Carracks also had a devastating weapon that eclipsed all of their other advantages: Cannons.

The mighty Carracks usually carried a dozen or more cannons, often of different types. The most prevalent type was repurposed serpentines, adjusted for use on the high seas. The heavy hitters were culverins, of which a carrack would only carry three or four, while carrying nine or ten of the much lighter serpentines.

The range of the cannons meant that a Faustian warship could bombard an enemy while remaining out of the range of their arrows, which would hardly have been effective against such well designed warships. This inevitably meant that the Reich was able to dominate most Naval battles it encountered, with only large number of inferior ships being able to bring down the giants.

Those great warships of old were also used as troop transports for the land armies of the Reich. They possessed vast holds in which large amounts of supplies and troops could be stored. This meant the Reich could ensure control of conquests overseas, being able to bring armies to the fore to protect its colonial interests from rivals like the Valiente and the Grand Duchy of Dracule.

Despite its might, the Faustian Navy rarely saw full engagements, due to the fact that a fleet of them would be unstoppable, so only small groups were necessary when war broke out on the high seas.

Overtime, as its colonial possessions grew, the Reich’s Navy expanded more and more. New ships were constructed, new ports established and rare goods became common in the waters of the Reich. This overwhelming control of, and reliance upon, naval power lead to the common usage of a phrase:

“Rule the Reich, Rule the waves.
    Germans never will be slaves”
    Last edited by CommisarCain; September 06, 2011 at 05:53 PM.
    "Romans, Senators, friends. Latium is firmly under the rule of the Senate and People of Rome. The Latin people are now one. Not since noble Brutus drove out the last king have we known such a glorious day. But now my friends, in this our of glory we must be on our guard! To the south, treacherous Greeks and Samnites block our trade. Tarquinii grows beneath a tryrant's heel. That tyrant threatens Rome! Will we abandon Tarquinii? And now Barbarians raid from the North, burning and pillaging Roman lands. Shall we let dager fester and grow? Or will we at as Romans with courage and dignity? Remember we are the Sons of Mars! As Senate leader I call upon tribunes Gaius Julius and Decius Brutus to smash the Gauls and releave Tarquinii. All those in favor say I!

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by CommisarCain View Post
    Update! Its a little short, but I'm aiming to speed up my updates a little more, so meh.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CHAPTER FOUR: Rule the Waves
    Naval Power in the Reich

Although much of its military history is dominated by its famed line infantry and pikemen, the Reich was a major, if not dominant, seapower in Central Thera. The Reich possessed a large and formidable navy that protected its trade interests, both from pirates and rival nations. It was not just the number of the ships that was large, but their size as well. The Reich made use of Carracks, a relatively new type of ship which was exclusive to the Reich, and the Duke of Valiente. These ships made use of the Faustian Reich’s superior technology, allowing them to be built larger, and to sail faster than ships used by less advanced nations. Faustian Carracks also had a devastating weapon that eclipsed all of their other advantages: Cannons.

The mighty Carracks usually carried a dozen or more cannons, often of different types. The most prevalent type was repurposed serpentines, adjusted for use on the high seas. The heavy hitters were culverins, of which a carrack would only carry three or four, while carrying nine or ten of the much lighter serpentines.

The range of the cannons meant that a Faustian warship could bombard an enemy while remaining out of the range of their arrows, which would hardly have been effective against such well designed warships. This inevitably meant that the Reich was able to dominate most Naval battles it encountered, with only large number of inferior ships being able to bring down the giants.

Those great warships of old were also used as troop transports for the land armies of the Reich. They possessed vast holds in which large amounts of supplies and troops could be stored. This meant the Reich could ensure control of conquests overseas, being able to bring armies to the fore to protect its colonial interests from rivals like the Valiente and the Grand Duchy of Dracule.

Despite its might, the Faustian Navy rarely saw full engagements, due to the fact that a fleet of them would be unstoppable, so only small groups were necessary when war broke out on the high seas.

Overtime, as its colonial possessions grew, the Reich’s Navy expanded more and more. New ships were constructed, new ports established and rare goods became common in the waters of the Reich. This overwhelming control of, and reliance upon, naval power lead to the common usage of a phrase:

“Rule the Reich, Rule the waves.
    Germans never, will be slaves”
    Very nice..It;s good to see Navy getting some attention in FFs, it rarely, if ever, happens. I have some objections as to the paraphrased "Rule Britania" but that's just me.
    Last edited by Sanguinary Guardian; September 07, 2011 at 12:04 PM.

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

Massive_attack's Avatar Campidoctor
    Citizen

Another good article. Was logical, and though i never really thought of the Faust being much of a major player on the high seas, i can see carracks being the "dreadnoughts" of thera as you describe, so it fits.

Edit: oh, and the rule britannia reference did not go unnoticed Though I still take issue with the Faustians being described as "German" when you have those "German knights" in Avalon/Europa.

(An explanation: If the F.R. was germany, those AOR's would be located in or around Faust/Otterbach territory. That they are placed in Europa or Avalonian territory strikes me as conflicting for your vision. I mean, if the Geyers (sorry if i butchered the name) really wanted to set up a new german homeland, you'd think that they would locate it in the place where germans ethnically were, in the theran sense. This kind of lore stuff should probably be brought up with TFON, though. I guess if you wanted to stretch it, you could say that perhaps those AOR troops are german expatriates that have arrived in those lands as mercenaries... which strikes me as odd since if THAT was the case they would be using renaissance arms and armor. They also probably wouldnt call or want to be called "knights" since that is a title with little-no meaning in the reich as it stands. Alternative explanations could be that these knights are former German nobles that moved to europa/avalon to maintain there class position and lifestyle, but it doesnt really work since despite the reich deconstructing nobles in terms of the military, they (the nobility) would probably still be around in the society. Hell, in most countries today, there are still very rich powerful nobles walking around. They dont have much direct political power, but they exist and are better off than most. I find it unlikely the Faustians would simply shake off all ties to their past like that The faustian reich is not the soviet union . Also, the fact that a monarchy rules the reich makes this German knight problem a bit worse, since if there is a king in power, you can bet that the nobles are going to be very happy. Monarchies = more powerful nobles. Perhaps the fleeing nobles are Otterbach... but I doubt that they would be openly hated and harrased if they did not resist the new faustian regime. Usually when a conqueror takes over a piece of territory, some manner of the old local social system is maintained so the people dont go into a rebellious frenzy. I can see the reich being wise enough to not inspire hatred from some of the most influential people on the continent.

But even if that were the case, and nobles were fleeing the reich/germany in droves to come to europa, why serve as mercenaries ? That mode of existance strikes me as far too spartan and militant for noblemen, especially when the noblemen are implied to have been larely demilitarized thanks to reforms you alluded to earlier; the elimination of the knight. A more likely outcome would be the nobles swearing allegiances to new factions and becoming part of the kingdom of Avalon/bons chevaliers, or whatever.

And of course, to top it all off, the AoR's are in full or 3/4 plate, I forget which, which essentially eliminates the option for them (the expatriates) being a lower class in Faustian society. These guys would either be merchants, merchants sons, or nobles with that kind of equipment, and as ive noted earlier, they would probably be looking for different avenues of work))
    Last edited by Massive_attack; September 07, 2011 at 02:01 AM.

Well, we see in the Norselunds that there are "rohan swordsmen" and so on, but their descriptions say that they're actually mostly no longer made up of actual Rohan nobles. Just apply that to these "German" knights

Massive_attack's Avatar Campidoctor
    Citizen

But if thats true and they arent really german anymore, just knights, why are they calling themselves that ?

These knights are mercenaries
    They live in Europa/avalon
    They are comprised of Europeans and/or avalonians
    They are rich enough to afford plate armor
    Yet they name themselves after a place:
    That they have probably never seen
    That is culturally and socially completely different
    That is reasonably far away (on a separate continent)
    That has long since ceased using knights
    and most damning: That has never really been involved with or exerted influence over European/avalonian lands.

Im just saying it doesnt add up for me. Thats all.

Ah, well, I suppose I need to clear up what the term "german" means in this fic.... Ill just write a chapter off the top of my head right now!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Five: The Eternal Crusade
    German Sociology

Despite the call of Florian Geyer several centuries before the Torment, not all of the German peoples flocked to the new homeland. After centuries of semi-nomadism, the German "nation" had become little more than a mobile ethnicity, complete with nobles, a middle class, and peasents. A German noble family would remain an area for perhaps a generation or two before moving on, seeking new lands.

This tale of an attempt to combine a chivalric culture with a lack of an actual country begins even earlier before the Great Torment.

In roughly 900 PT (Pre-Torment), A holy order of warriors was formed to spread christianity acorss Europa by the earliest recorded knights. These men are said to have referred to themselves as being, essentially, the property of their lord, German, and were referred to as "German's men" or simply "Germans."

These warriors spread across Europa, both preaching to masses, and viciously wiping out the most vile of pagan clans, which sacrificed humans to a sun gods or mystical serpents. These holy men were responsible for the foundation of the feudal system in Europa, for each of the warriors gathered followers, who in turn would lead their own bands of fanatics. As the first of the holy warriors died, their warbands settled down, forming towns and villages.
    Those primitive chains of loyalty from Lord German to the lowliest peasant became minor dukes and barons, knights and freemen and serfs. It was from these humble beginings the modern nations of Europa would take shape.

Over time the descendants of the original order left the lands others had settled in, continuing the crusades of their forefathers, though only handfuls continued to follow them. These roving bands steadily grew, becoming as large as villages, and in some case entire towns. One group even went so far away as to establish what was, at the time, a distatn outpost of Christandom. That clan was led by the Duke Robinho II and his two sons, Vasques and Valiente. Meanwhile, in Europa, the tradition of remaining semi-nomadic was firmly established amongst the Germans. They were practically a nation forever on the march. This continued until 200 PT, when Florian Geyer established the German confederation in northern Ibellica.

As stated earlier, not all the German clans responded. Some opted to continue the age old mission, killing pagans and spreading the word of Christ. Many of those more millitant Germans were absorbed into the Teutonic Order, and greatly aided in turning the

A supremely ironic point of all this was that, while the oldest noble families could trace back their lineages to individual members of the holy order of warrior monks who had forever changed the face of Thera, those descendants who stuck to the original creed were ostracized by the more settled and more powerful nobles, looking down upon what they saw as an archaic way of life.
    Last edited by CommisarCain; September 08, 2011 at 09:46 PM.

Sorry about the double posting here, but I'm inclduding a signficant portion of (my personal) history of the Reich
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chapter Six: Karl Faust's Speech to Army

As winter set in after the first few months of Karl Faust's rebellion, the soldiers of his army began to loose the will to fight. To rally them, Karl Faust gave a speech expressing the importance of continued service in the rebellion

"These are the times that try men's souls.

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from service of his country; but he that stands NOW, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyrany, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. The OTTERBACH, with an army to enforce their tyranny, has declared that they have a right (not only to TAX) but "to BIND us in ALL CASES WHATSOEVER," and if being bound in that manner, is not slavery, then is there not such a thing as slavery upon earth. Even the expression is impious; for so unlimited a power can belong only to God.

I have as little superstition in me as any man living, but my secret opinion has ever been, and still is, that God Almighty will not give up a people to military destruction, or leave them unsupportedly to perish, who have so earnestly and so repeatedly sought to avoid the calamities of war, by every decent method which wisdom could invent. Neither have I so much of the infidel in me, as to suppose that He has relinquished the government of the world, and given us up to the care of devils; and as I do not, I cannot see on what grounds the king of Britain can look up to heaven for help against us: a common murderer, a highwayman, or a house-breaker, has as good a pretence as he. 'Tis surprising to see how rapidly a panic will sometimes run through a country. All nations and ages have been subject to them. As I have heard of the troops at Fort Lichtenstein with General Warberld, and marched with them to the edge of Kalstein state, I am well acquainted with many circumstances, which those who live at a distance know but little or nothing of. The situation there was exceedingly cramped, the place being a narrow neck of land between the North River and the Hackensack. The force was inconsiderable, being not one-fourth so great as the Bachmen could bring against us. We had no army at hand to have relieved the garrison, had they shut ourselves up and stood on their defence. The ammunition and the best part of our stores, had been removed, on the apprehension that the Bachmen would endeavor to penetrate the Kalsland, in which case Fort Lichtenstein could be of no use to us; for it must occur to every thinking man, whether in the army or not, that these kind of field forts are only for temporary purposes, and last in use no longer than the enemy directs his force against the particular object which such forts are raised to defend. Such was the situation and condition at Fort Liechtenstein on the morning of the 20th of November, when an officer arrived with information that the enemy with 200 boats had landed about seven miles above; Captain [Nathaniel] Greinwald, who commanded the garrison, immediately ordered them under arms, and sent express to General Faust at the town of Hoth, distant by the way of the ferry . Our first object was to secure the bridge over the river Hoth, which laid up the river between the enemy and us, about six miles from us, and three from them. Warberld arrived in about three-quarters of an hour, and marched at the head of the troops towards the bridge, which place I expected they should have a brush for; however, they did not choose to dispute it with them, and the greatest part of our troops went over the bridge, the rest over the ferry, except some which passed at a mill on a small creek, between the bridge and the ferry, and made their way through some marshy grounds up to the town of Hackensack, and there passed the river. They brought off as much baggage as the wagons could contain, the rest was lost. The simple object was to bring off the garrison, and march them on till they could be strengthened by the Kalsland or Hothlund militia, so as to be enabled to make a stand. We staid four days at Nevark, collected our out-posts with some of the Kalsland militia, and marched out twice to meet the enemy, on being informed that they were advancing, though our numbers were greatly inferior to theirs. The Otterbach, in my little opinion, committed a great error in generalship in not throwing a body of forces off from Long Aachen Island through Amboy, by which means he might have seized all our stores at Brunswick, and intercepted our march into Manstein; but if we believe the power of hell to be limited, we must likewise believe that their agents are under some providential control.

I shall not now attempt to give all the particulars of the retreat to the Sturmburg; suffice it for the present to say, that both officers and men, though greatly harassed and fatigued, frequently without rest, covering, or provision, the inevitable consequences of a long retreat, bore it with a manly and martial spirit. All their wishes centred in one, which was, that the country would turn out and help them to drive the enemy back. Voltaire has remarked that Florian Geyer never appeared to full advantage but in difficulties and in action; the same remark may be made on General Warberld, for the character fits him. There is a natural firmness in some minds which cannot be unlocked by trifles, but which, when unlocked, discovers a cabinet of fortitude; and I reckon it among those kind of public blessings, which we do not immediately see, that God hath blessed him with uninterrupted health, and given him a mind that can even flourish upon care. I shall conclude this paper with some miscellaneous remarks on the state of our affairs; and shall begin with asking the following question, Why is it that the enemy have left the Old Land provinces, and made these middle ones the seat of war? The answer is easy: The Old Land is not infested with Bachmen, and and the middle lands are. I have been tender in raising the cry against these men, and used numberless arguments to show them their danger, but it will not do to sacrifice a world either to their folly or their baseness. The period is now arrived, in which either they or we must change our sentiments, or one or both must fall. And what is a Bachman? Good God! what is he? I should not be afraid to go with a hundred Whigs against a thousand Bachmen, were they to attempt to get into arms. Every Bachman is a coward; for servile, slavish, self-interested fear is the foundation of the Otterbach; and a man under such influence, though he may be cruel, never can be brave. But, before the line of irrecoverable separation be drawn between us, let us reason the matter together: Your conduct is an invitation to the enemy, yet not one in a thousand of you has heart enough to join him. The Otterbach is as much deceived by you as the Reichs cause is injured by you. They expect you will all take up arms, and flock to his standard, with muskets on your shoulders. Your opinions are of no use to him, unless you support him personally, for 'tis soldiers, and not Tories, that he wants.

I once felt all that kind of anger, which a man ought to feel, against the mean principles that are held by the Bachmen: a noted one, who kept a tavern at Amboy, was standing at his door, with as pretty a child in his hand, about eight or nine years old, as I ever saw, and after speaking his mind as freely as he thought was prudent, finished with this unfatherly expression, "Well! give me peace in my day." Not a man lives on the continent but fully believes that a separation must some time or other finally take place, and a generous parent should have said, "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace;" and this single reflection, well applied, is sufficient to awaken every man to duty. Not a place upon earth might be so happy as these lands. Her situation is remote from all the wrangling world, and she has nothing to do but to trade with them. A man can distinguish himself between temper and principle, and I am as confident, as I am that God governs the world, that the Reich will never be happy till she gets clear of Otterbach dominion. Wars, without ceasing, will break out till that period arrives, and the continent must in the end be conqueror; for though the flame of liberty may sometimes cease to shine, the coal can never expire. The did not, nor does not want force; but we wanted a proper application of that force. Wisdom is not the purchase of a day, and it is no wonder that we should err at the first setting off. From an excess of tenderness, we were unwilling to raise an army, and trusted our cause to the temporary defence of a well-meaning militia. A summer's experience has now taught us better; yet with those troops, while they were collected, we were able to set bounds to the progress of the enemy, and, thank God! they are again assembling. I always considered militia as the best troops in the world for a sudden exertion, but they will not do for a long campaign. The Otterbach, it is probable, will make an attempt on this city [Essen]; should they fail on this side the Reich,they are ruined. If they succeed, our cause is not ruined. The stakes all on his side against a part on ours; admitting they succeed, the consequence will be, that armies from both ends of the continent will march to assist their suffering friends in the middle states; for they cannot go everywhere, it is impossible. I consider Otterbach Noble as the greatest enemy the Bachmen have; he is bringing a war into their country, which, had it not been for him and partly for themselves, they had been clear of. Should he now be expelled, I wish with all the devotion of a Christian, that the name of Bachman may never more be mentioned; but should the Bachmen give him encouragement to come, or assistance if he come, I as sincerely wish that our next year's arms may expel them from the Reich, and the Kongreiss appropriate their possessions to the relief of those who have suffered in well-doing. A single successful battle next year will settle the whole. The Reich could carry on a two years' war by the confiscation of the property of disaffected persons, and be made happy by their expulsion. Say not that this is revenge, call it rather the soft resentment of a suffering people, who, having no object in view but the good of all, have staked their own all upon a seemingly doubtful event. Yet it is folly to argue against determined hardness; eloquence may strike the ear, and the language of sorrow draw forth the tear of compassion, but nothing can reach the heart that is steeled with prejudice. Quitting this class of men, I turn with the warm ardor of a friend to those who have nobly stood, and are yet determined to stand the matter out: I call not upon a few, but upon all: not on this state or that state, but on every state: up and help us; lay your shoulders to the wheel; better have too much force than too little, when so great an object is at stake. Let it be told to the future world, that in the depth of winter, when nothing but hope and virtue could survive, that the city and the country, alarmed at one common danger, came forth to meet and to repulse it. Say not that thousands are gone, turn out your tens of thousands; throw not the burden of the day upon Providence, but "show your faith by your works," that God may bless you. It matters not where you live, or what rank of life you hold, the evil or the blessing will reach you all. The far and the near, the home counties and the back, the rich and the poor, will suffer or rejoice alike. The heart that feels not now is dead; the blood of his children will curse his cowardice, who shrinks back at a time when a little might have saved the whole, and made them happy. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death. My own line of reasoning is to myself as straight and clear as a ray of light. Not all the treasures of the world, so far as I believe, could have induced me to support an offensive war, for I think it murder; but if a thief breaks into my house, burns and destroys my property, and kills or threatens to kill me, or those that are in it, and to "bind me in all cases whatsoever" to his absolute will, am I to suffer it? What signifies it to me, whether he who does it is a king or a common man; my countryman or not my countryman; whether it be done by an individual villain, or an army of them? If we reason to the root of things we shall find no difference; neither can any just cause be assigned why we should punish in the one case and pardon in the other. Let them call me rebel and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whore of my soul by swearing allegiance to one whose character is that of a sottish, stupid, stubborn, worthless, brutish man. I conceive likewise a horrid idea in receiving mercy from a being, who at the last day shall be shrieking to the rocks and mountains to cover him, and fleeing with terror from the orphan, the widow, and the slain of the Reich. There are cases which cannot be overdone by language, and this is one. There are persons, too, who see not the full extent of the evil which threatens them; they solace themselves with hopes that the enemy, if he succeed, will be merciful. It is the madness of folly, to expect mercy from those who have refused to do justice; and even mercy, where conquest is the object, is only a trick of war; the cunning of the fox is as murderous as the violence of the wolf, and we ought to guard equally against both. The Otterbach's first object is, partly by threats and partly by promises, to terrify or seduce the people to deliver up their arms and receive mercy. The ministry recommended the same plan to Gage, and this is what the Bachmen call making their peace, "a peace which passeth all understanding" indeed! A peace which would be the immediate forerunner of a worse ruin than any we have yet thought of. Ye men of Kalstein, do reason upon these things! Were the back counties to give up their arms, they would fall an easy prey to the plagues: this perhaps is what some Bachmen would not be sorry for. Were the home counties to deliver up their arms, they would be exposed to the resentment of the back counties who would then have it in their power to chastise their defection at pleasure. And were any one state to give up its arms, that state must be garrisoned by all the Otterbach's army of mercenariess to preserve it from the anger of the rest. Mutual fear is the principal link in the chain of mutual love, and woe be to that state that breaks the compact. The Otterbach is mercifully inviting you to barbarous destruction, and men must be either rogues or fools that will not see it. I dwell not upon the vapors of imagination; I bring reason to your ears, and, in language as plain as A, B, C, hold up truth to your eyes. I thank God, that I fear not. I see no real cause for fear.

I know our situation well, and can see the way out of it. While our army was collected, Howe dared not risk a battle; and it is no credit to him that he decamped from the White Plains, and waited a mean opportunity to ravage the defenceless Middle lands; but it is great credit to us, that, with a handful of men, we sustained an orderly retreat for near an hundred miles, brought off our ammunition, all our field pieces, the greatest part of our stores, and had four rivers to pass. None can say that our retreat was precipitate, for we were near three weeks in performing it, that the country might have time to come in. Twice we marched back to meet the enemy, and remained out till dark. The sign of fear was not seen in our camp, and had not some of the cowardly and disaffected inhabitants spread false alarms through the country, the Middle landshad never been ravaged. Once more we are again collected and collecting; our new army at both ends of the continent is recruiting fast, and we shall be able to open the next campaign with sixty thousand men, well armed and clothed. This is our situation, and who will may know it. By perseverance and fortitude we have the prospect of a glorious issue; by cowardice and submission, the sad choice of a variety of evils- a ravaged country- a depopulated city- habitations without safety, and slavery without hope- our homes turned into barracks and bawdy-houses for Bachmen, and a future race to provide for, whose fathers we shall doubt of. Look on this picture and weep over it! and if there yet remains one thoughtless wretch who believes it not, let him suffer it unlamented.

Do not be a sunshine soldier; do not be a summertime patriot. Stand firm now, for he who stands with me shall be my Brother"

Oh hey, Forgot I made this.

Well, New Chapters will be coming soon!

Eohelm's Avatar Semisalis

For a minute I got really excited when I saw it was updated.
    "Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath."

Quote Originally Posted by Eohelm View Post

For a minute I got really excited when I saw it was updated.
    Same

But still great to see this back up.

Good to see you guys are still interested.

Also, got a new idea from my U.S. History class on the next chapter, but it might have to wait till the weekend to come out.

L LOL double posting. But its neccesary to make sure you guys know that I've updated this.

Late 1800s US History Immigration parallels ahoy!
    Also, sorry on taking longer than the weekend to get this out

CHAPTER SEVEN: THE GREAT MIGRATIONS

By 310 TS The Reich had established colonies across much of Thera. From Porth Madog in southern Tethra to its provinces on the coast of Mesocala, to Tierra Madera, the Reichs borders were second to none in size. However, the Torment, while long past, had still devestated the peoples of Thera, and many of the Reichs colonies were often mere outposts that only maintained control due to the lack of any force significant enough to contradict the Kaisers claims. The Reichs control required the maintaining of those local governements already in place, so the Reichs control was truly derived from its dominatinon of the upper echelons of all local councils and town halls, rather than the same control it exerted in its homelands.

The homelands of the Reich, the North Ibellican coast, were, in contrast to the its colonies, teeming with Reichsmen. The massive population was supported by the huge farmlands cleared by the Kaisers Pioneers, who's responsibility when not at war was to develop the rural areas of the Reich. These areas were soon overflowing with farmsteads and hamlets.

The Reich needed to develop it's colonies quickly, lest other nations rest control of its far flung empire from its fist. The greatest barrier that could be placed in front of its enemies, after millitary might, was loyalty from the colonies, which could only be guaranteed amongst those Reichsmen who had immigrated to the new lands. To this end, colonial migration programs were established, with cheap land sold to the sons of farmers who would reicieve little to no inheritance due to the lack of land from the rapid internal expansion of the Reich. These young men sought to lead new lives, and while the first wave of settlers were intrepid explorers, the later waves of emmigrants were composed of families, sometimes entire villages, all seeking to lead new lives on frontier.

The new policies had precisely the effect the Reich was looking for, massively expanding the Reichs meager outposts into thriving settlements.

At the same time, as the fields of the Reich became less crowded, the cities of Essen, Aachen and Manstein were in desperate need of new sources of cheap labor to fulfill the huge orders placed on the Workers Guilds by the Kaiser in preparation for a new wave of conquest, and for his coucnilors plans for the development of the Reichs infastructure. This labor was provided by those natives of the lands that the Reich had established colonies in. These people, ranging from Muslims to Pagans to more Inquistorial Christians, all journeyed to the Reich for new oppurtunties, having been swamped with stories from those Reichsmen who had settled in the colonies of the glory of their homeland.

However, not the new arrivals in the great cities of the Reichs homeland would soon learn that beneath the gilded exterior of the Reich was a false, empty exterior, devoid of all the things that they had been promised. The new immigrants found themselves placed in the most demeaning, least skilled, worst payed jobs in all the guilds, ranking lower than even apprentices. Also, while those who had left the Reich had lived in the country, immigrants found there to be no free land available, they were stuck in the cities, with most unable to return home after having spent all their savings to get to the Reichs homeland.

TO BE CONTINUED

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12