Thread: Gallic Revolt

Default Gallic Revolt

The Allobrogian War

Opposition Leader: Baleastrick

Disposition: 15,000 Infantry (5,000 levy, 5,000 veteran, 5,000 regulars), 5,000 cavalry (Regular)

Transalpine Gaul has been abuzz with the activity of rebellious Gauls. The Gallic forces have overrun the port and town of Massilia and routed all garrisons in front of them. Consul Severus Cincinnatus has been charged with the defense of Provincia.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; August 05, 2011 at 01:35 PM.

Default Re: Gallic Revolt

Commander: Consul Severus Vipsanius Cincinnatus

Roman Forces:

I Italica * - 6,000 Veteran
    II Italica - 6,000 Regular
    III Italica- 6,000 Regular
    700 Allied Cavalry

Severus called a meeting of the Legati Legionos and first centurions of the I and III Italica.

Men, the 2nd will be joining us tomorrow and then we will begin marching into Gaul. We will be constructing a fleet to bypass the alps and land us on the Gallic coast. From what I can tell we will be far enough away from the enemy to organize ourselves before we continue to march west.

A short man spoke up

"Consul, has the senate responded to your plea for cavalry?"

Not yet, Decius. I have had no word.

Additionally I will be dispatching a courier to the proconsul of Spain. If the I Hispania could join us and harry the enemy from behind, we might just be able to force them to retreat north.

"Very good, sir" Decius replied.

That will do for now. Double the watch tonight, the watch word is to be 'Fidelitas'
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; August 05, 2011 at 03:34 PM.

The III Italica and 700 allied Cavalry arrive in camp. The entire force mobilizes and heads to the coast where hundreds of ships await them. Before long the entire force has been launched and heads west.

Baleastrick was looking over the Army camp that was assembled before him, the Elite and regular forces had a decent order in their camp but the levys were hopeless with hardly any sentry and to much time spending fighting over the loot and booze from Massila. However they were mostly young men who had joined up to live the glory of the war stories they had been told in their childhood, The war chief knew that they wouldn't stand a chance against the Roman legions and shuddered when the thought about the Roman efficiency. He had himself experiences it first hand but then he had stood in the Auxila fighting at the Roman side, now it would be the opposite.

He had been a loyal soldier for a long time before settling down in the Roman region that he called home, he had been happy at first but then he had began to see how mistreated his people was and when he thought back about his time in the Auxila he and his comrades had never been more than glorified arrow fodder. So Baleastrick took the situation in his own hand and after many years of planning they revolted against the oppressive Romans, many good soldiers had come from Gaul to join them when they heard as well.

He had tried to make them work together as units but cohesion had been lacking but after some harsh discipline where other former men of the Auxila had helped there had been some results, however there hadn't been enough time. He had one thing in plenty though that the Romans always lacked and that was Cavalry, which he planned to use to his full advantage.

As he stood there contemplating his second in command Ambriox came up to him.

"War Chief, Our spies have reported that the Romans have started moving towards us with three Legions."

Baleastrick went pale, Three legions? Oh, this would be close. He then looked intensely at the second.

"Find a good place for the battle Ambriox , there is not much more we can do now than fight the Romans and prevail."

The entire Gallic army then moved out, with disorder marking the march.
    Last edited by molonthegreat; August 04, 2011 at 02:41 PM.
    These fine gentlemen's have thanks to their consistent idiotic posts have earned their place on my ignore list: mrmouth, The Illusionist, motiv-8, mongrel, azoth, thorn777 and elfdude. If you want to join their honourable rank you just have to post idiotic posts and you will get there in no time.

The Gauls begin to mobilize, and battle in inevitable

Gallic Side (Emerging from Forest behind Villa)

Roman Side (in Control of the High Ground)

Molon, please send me the Gallic plans.
    Pontifex, you do the same.

Icon1 Re: Gallic Revolt

The Battle of Massilia

Gallic forces began to emerge from the heavily dense forest. As soon as the Gallic warriors saw the Roman Legions, they charged, with some straying behind. The Roman Legionaries threw there pila's, and the Gallic men fell with the giants spears in their chest, but it did not stop the charge. The Legionaries pulled out there swords, and when the Gauls we're nearly atop the hill, they charged.

It was a bloodbath. The Gallic forces straying behind broke off, and headed for the flanks of the Roman Army, which was guarded by the Cavalry. 4,000 Gallic cavalry, along with a few hundred men hit the flank. The Roman Cavalry did not stray far to engage the Gallic forces. Before the Gallic General could realize, over 3,000 Legionaries poured in between the Roman horses, decimating the enemy cavalry, and overwhelming the men that were sent with it.

With their back up gone, the remaining Gallic forces were surrounded, as the 3rd Legion flanked the main force, with the left Cavalry and Legion doing the same. The Gallic forces were surrounded, thoguh some men were able to retreat into the forest, most were killed.

Outcome: Roman Victory
    Roman Causalities: 2,800 (975 from each Regular Legion, 750 from Veteran, 100 from Cavalry)
    Gallic Casualties:
    13,225 men along with 800 taken prisoner by Rome. Rest of Gallic force disperses. Baleastrick killed in battle.

Last edited by Celsius; August 05, 2011 at 04:43 PM.