Thread: Debate on the Steps of the Curia, the People of Rome as the Audience

The Stig's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Debate on the Steps of the Curia, the People of Rome as the Audience

Sextus arrived and stood near Gaius and Lucius. "The mouths of these senators utter nothing but lies and half-truths! People of Rome! They claim to know of you and what you want, but they remain cloisered up in their expensive mansions built by your hands! They do not fight and die alongside you! They try to deprive you of gainful employment! Why? Because it is in their economic interest to do so! I too, am a businessman, but I will not let this impede my duty to you, People of Rome! Caesar is leading your armies on foreign shores! He pays his men double the standard salary! He wants to procure arable land in the east! But these senators were against it! They do not work the fields or fight in the army, so why should you listen to them!? The time will come soon, People of Rome, when you must choose, Oppression or Freedom!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Aliens
    Yes. The Stig is Jesus.
    People's Republic of Cascadia

Default Re: The Rostra

Free people listen to me - Says Scipio:

I'm going direct to the matter, the matter is that some senators were trying to make the people of Rome, the free citizens of the biggest civilization in the world, the true ones, do slaves work. He wanted the people to work in the farms when they can get far better jobs, the slaves can work in the farms it's their duty. But no, the Roman Citizens those shall work only in the true civilization, the shops and the markets need them, shall they become rich traders, the army, oh the army, the army defends our nation, they defend you, they defend your families from the barbarians that seek your wife and your daughters to satisfy their self. but the army also needs you, the need brave men to fill it's possessions, you are those brave men, the strongest and smartest persons in this world. Shall you serve the army, conquer new lands for our nation, claim important areas for the Empire, open trade theaters for our merchants to operate in.
    Romans, don't you wish to leave in any place of the world you want? Maybe Greece, maybe Hispania or Egypt, who knows what awaits you there? Only good things that's sure, any piece of land that belongs to our people will only have good, there's no evil in our lands. But for that, for that you cannot be serving in the farms, doing slaves work, you are free my people, go, go, do what you want, help you father land, shall you make it prosper and you will prosper with it!

UNDER THE MOST HONORABLE PATRONAGE OF: Legio!
    PATRON OF: Wangrin, ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔, Geronimo2006 and Narf!

The Stig's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Looks at Scipio "Ha! Tell that to the mob which tore apart the Tribune's home for vetoing the bill! As I have told you, People of Rome, these men do not know and care for you! They claim there is land for you in Greece, Hispania, and Egypt, but who is conquering those lands? It is you, not they, People of Rome, who are working for the good of the Republic!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Aliens
    Yes. The Stig is Jesus.
    People's Republic of Cascadia

Dreams, dreams, that's what he has, people of Rome, those lands are not to be conquered by you, they are to be conquered by us, we are all made of the same the difference is only in our duties, but in our hearts we are only one, The Roman Civilization, together we will conquer new lands, together we will share what it will give us.
    Last edited by ForteS; August 03, 2011 at 12:25 PM.

Titus stood
    "Citizens of Republic! This bill FORCES you to work on farms! But what if you don't want to work on a farm? According to this law, you would have too because half of the workers have to be Roman citizens. These men call themselves a "populist movement", but in reality, they are nothing but a group of thugs trying to gain power by claiming their ideas are for the people, when they are exactly the opposite. They want to keep the Roman citizen down. They want to keep you powerless so that you may invest everything you have into them. This is the start of a corrupt movement that seek to destroy the foundation of the Republic. That wish to see the demise of the republic, and turn it into some sort of High Order Oligarchy! Do not allow them! You still hold the power! They need you to get what they desire, but you dont need them! Deprive them of their power, and they shall fall just as hard as they rose."

Lucius scoffed.

"It does not such thing. It forces the aristocrats to hire at least fifty percent of their workforce as citizens. With the way poverty is now it will force the ARISTOCRATS to make jobs. It will force the people to do nothing."
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

"Or perhaps those aristocrats will not wish to keep their farms going, and shut them down. Then what? Food prices soar and people starve. We would have to rely on imports, and therefore must raise taxes to balance the import tariffs. This Bill will hurt the Roman citizens stomach, pocket, and dignity."

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius View Post
    "Or perhaps those aristocrats will not wish to keep their farms going, and shut them down. Then what? Food prices soar and people starve. We would have to rely on imports, and therefore must raise taxes to balance the import tariffs. This Bill will hurt the Roman citizens stomach, pocket, and dignity."
    "Nonsense! We have trade, we have state farms. This is why the bill was for PRIVATE farms! Let the aristocrats do their part, even if it costs!"

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Fellow Senators, look at the people they are tired of be hearing us for so many time, let's give them some rest, this won't takes us anywhere. I'll leave, but I just want to remember, Romans you are free, go home if that's your wish, you don't have to stay here hearing them. Scipio orders his slave to prepare the horse and heads to his Villa.

"And who do you think works on these state farms? Certainly not slaves! Roman Citizens work them! To give the Roman Citizen over to the Aristocracy is a disgrace to both the city of Rome and her Republic!"

OOC: Actually thats not the case. Slaves were primarily used on state farms. Slaves from wars when the General had to send back a tribute to the Senate. Cheaper for the Senate.

Lucius simply laughed.

"I take my leave, this man knows not of what he speaks."

He turned and left.

"Imbecile."
    Titus left for the Senate

The Praetor enters the forum, he turns to Caesar's son and to Gaius,

"Do you not feel that your plans are detected? Do you not see that your conspiracy is already arrested and rendered powerless by the knowledge which every one here possesses of it.. It is obvious to the simplest fool in Rome what you all plan."

He moved his hands in the Roman oratorical style, singling out plebs, catching their eyes

"The senate is aware of these things; the consul sees them; and yet these men roam free.. What they speak of is conspiracy and treason.."

Spirius takes a golden set of laurel leaves from a statue and holds them over Gaius' head, and then Caesar Minor's

"So then, fair citizens of Rome, do you wish to crown these two now? Tarquin Major and Tarquin Minor? If the people back these policies then they are surely making themselves into mindless subjects, you are Romans.."

He throws the laurels to the floor and raises his hands, and shouts repeatedly,

"Civis Romanus Sum."

Lord Slayer's Avatar Campidoctor

Tribune Servius leaves without saying a word
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

The Roman Struggle, a Late Roman Republic RPG.

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Quote Originally Posted by Major Darling View Post
    The Praetor enters the forum, he turns to Caesar's son and to Gaius,

"Do you not feel that your plans are detected? Do you not see that your conspiracy is already arrested and rendered powerless by the knowledge which every one here possesses of it.. It is obvious to the simplest fool in Rome what you all plan."

He moved his hands in the Roman oratorical style, singling out plebs, catching their eyes

"The senate is aware of these things; the consul sees them; and yet these men roam free.. What they speak of is conspiracy and treason.."

Spirius takes a golden set of laurel leaves from a statue and holds them over Gaius' head, and then Caesar Minor's

"So then, fair citizens of Rome, do you wish to crown these two now? Tarquin Major and Tarquin Minor? If the people back these policies then they are surely making themselves into mindless subjects, you are Romans.."

He throws the laurels to the floor and raises his hands, and shouts repeatedly,

"Civis Romanus Sum."
    Caesar laughs and ignores the Praetor yelling to the people as he walks by.

"This man dreams of Kings! The People are the only Kings here, Praetor. Kings of their own land and their own future."