Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Rostra

Default The Rostra

Gaius steped onto the rostra.

People of Rome! I have ccome to you here today to tell you that your representitives in the Senate do not actually represent you! They claim to do things for you but they actually seek to harm you. One is the worst! Tribune Servius a man so steeped in optimate dirt it disgusts me! I proposed a law meant to give you fine people of Rome jobs. This law would have taken many of you out of poverty and given you the position you deserve as a working member of Rome. Now the optimates have once again forced you down under the guise of helping you. No they say no. The poor must stay poor that is what they say. Then your good Tribune vetoes a proposal for you all the while cheered on by Consuls Cincinnatus and Artillius. But do not fear people of Rome! For there are men who fight for you! Men such as I. Men who will fight for your rights to equality and freedom from the optimate dirt bags! Chief among us is Tiberius Julius Caersar a man who has while in Athens helped coauthor a multitude of laws which will sweep across the Senate. We are like the Hydra! Where one head is cut off two will take it's place!

Gaius finished and waited for the people to react.

+.5 populist points for Gaius- Ponti

Default Re: The Rostra

Scipio shows up: Gaius! I'm gone tell you what I've said in the Curia right after you leave.
    People of Rome listen to me: This man Says to be fighting for you, but what he really wants is to make roman citizen the true race do slaves' work, you deserve better you shall serve the army, work in our trade posts, give those barbarians that live right after our borders some manners help our nation prosper and make you grow with it. Don't listen to what Gaius says, what he wants is you to serve him.

UNDER THE MOST HONORABLE PATRONAGE OF: Legio!
    PATRON OF: Wangrin, ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔, Geronimo2006 and Narf!

Lord Slayer's Avatar Campidoctor

Tribune Servius walks up to the Rostra

" Senator Gailus Lied to you !. The Motion that he proposed and that I vetoed was not going to help you in any way !. In fact it was going to Degrade you to a common Slave !. The motion would have made you less than a slave by working on farms for the rich ! and degrading you as a Roman citizen ! The motion did nothing for you people of Rome, If you believe the motion helped you in some way. Why did our Beloved Consul who is on the side of the people say this !
    . A citizen of Rome is a privileged member of society eligible for much more honorable employment than working in the dirt with foreigners. This proposal degrades Roman citizenship
    This Motion would have made you Citizens of Rome less than a Slave!. I defended your rights to be more than a Slave in a field. I defend your honor and your citizenship. Our beloved Consul in his wisdom knew what this proposal meant for Roman citizens. He knew that you would have been degraded to something less than a slave if the motion was passed. And I did not want to see that happen to you People of Rome. As you are better than Foreign Slaves ! . You will become rich with the Jobs that I will proposal in a Bill. You will earn your money. More money than if you where to work on the farms of the Rich !. In my next bill I will ask the senate to grant you jobs that will help you gain money !. Working on the merchant Ships. Working on your own farms !. Getting better pay if you join the army and you fight for the Republic for 20 years or more ! and you are a solider that is disabled i will make sure the Senate gives you your pay !

I promise you that people of the Republic !. I promise that and more ! "

Tribune Servius waited for the people reaction
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

The Roman Struggle, a Late Roman Republic RPG.

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Listen to him - says Scipio to the people after listen what Servius said.

After hearing of the bill he, more or less, had authored being vetoed, Caesar knew he had to retaliate. Thus, his son, Lucius Julius Caesar, mounted the Rostra armed with a letter from Caesar in Athens.

"Good People! Good People! I come to you today, a dark day, a day when another of the attempts to empower the people of Rome has been quashed, a day when the weak rule in the Senate House! However, I also come to you with a letter from my esteemed father, the Pro-Consul Tiberius Julius Caesar!"

Lucius allowed the crowd to stir a bit. He had been taught how to speak by his father. He was accomplished in the art.

"Thus, let me open the letter, which even I have yet to read, and tell you what he has to say!"

Lucius cut open the letter and began to read.

To the People of Rome,

My friends, my comrades, dark is the day when your will is cut down by one of your own. Dark is the day when the Tribunate, a office you fought to establish and protect, is turned against you by the foul aristocrat. Know this: I am always watching. I see all, even from Asia. As fight the foul Asian hordes that have slaughtered Roman Citizens, so too do I fight the enemies domestic.

Perhaps the time will come when Rome is free from the aristocrat. Perhaps the time will come when Roman and Roman can approach one another as men. When the ditch digger and the Senator can talk to one another as men. Perhaps one day this time will come.

But it is not this day. This day your will is crushed by one of your own, this day the Consul speaks of slaves being more useful then Roman Citizens! This day filth sit in the Senate House and dirty the holy place with their filth and their sweat and their useless speech.

However, I will not stand for it. Challenged as I am to fight two battles, foreign and domestic, I will embrace the challenge with open arms. For never will I stop fighting for you! And never will my allies, men of honor and valour who seek only to further the will of the people, stop fighting.

Make no mistake, good people of Rome, this is a war. However, the front lines are not trenches or battlefields or city walls or the high seas. The front line is here in Rome. You must be vigilant and tough. Respond in the most effective way when your will is trumped by the aristocrat. Do not hesitate, show no mercy. Do what must be done and have no regrets or ill thoughts about doing it. And when I return I will return to a city that is free or I will force the aristocrats to allow freedom, by any means necessary.

Your honorable Comrade and Representitive,

TIBERIVS IVLIVS CAESAR
    Lucius took the letter and hoisted it high.

"He is your's people of Rome. My father is yours. Now go and do what you know must be: by ANY means necessary."

+0.5 Populist Points - ulti
    Last edited by ulti; August 03, 2011 at 11:35 AM.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

"This man speaks of conspiracy against the Republic!"

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius View Post
    "This man speaks of conspiracy against the Republic!"
    "I speak of things that the people must do. I conspire nothing."

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

"I see through you and your fathers lies. Justice will be swift, and your family will fall in the aftermath..."

Quote Originally Posted by RVFVS View Post
    "I speak of things that the people must do. I conspire nothing."
    Hear to what he said Roman Citizens, he's telling you what you must do, how does he think he is to say such thing to you free citizens?

Lucius scoffed.

"I am not TELLING them to do anything. They already know how they can win their freedom I am simply reminding them that they are not alone."
    Last edited by RVFVS; August 03, 2011 at 11:20 AM.

Consul Cincinnatus ascends the rostra and prepares a counterargument

My fellow citizens, I am Severes Vipsanius Cincinnatus. I am preparing myself for an expedition north to defeat our common enemies, the rebellious Gallic tribes. I go because it is my duty to my country, my family, and to my compatriots. Why do we make such an effort to defend our honor, pride and territory? We acknowledge that Rome stand for something greater than ourselves and will continue to stand long after we are gone. We are but a moment in history, a subplot on a longer timeline. When the complete history of our people is compiled, will we do the whole justice? Will we be seen as Romans worthy of the name Roman?

A key element of this national reputation is our sacred institution of citizenship. Countless thousands have given their lives in its defense, to obtain it, or stake a claim in any of its many benefits. Roman Citizenship is one of the most powerful, most liberating, and most sought after commodities of our age. It grants privileges that all too recently we have taken for granted. The right to vote, a trial, a clean execution, and especially employment. Indeed, only Roman Citizens are eligible for promotion into the best paying jobs in our military. Only citizens are enfranchised enough to become entrepreneurs. The roots of maritime trade have spread all over the empire in the name of Roman prosperity.

Some senators among us would attempt to cheapen and sully the meaning of citizenship under the pretense of improving it. They would dangle base and dishonorable job opportunities to alleviate temporary economic downturn to you. It might seem a good proposal, for now. After all, some income is better than none. But, I wonder, do not the whores that stalk the docks of the Tiber, spreading their legs for any man with coin to pay; do they not think the same thing? Tell me, citizens, how much money would it take you to grovel in the mud with slaves, feel the master's lash, bend your backs, to sell your honor?! A few asses? A denarius? And when your silver coin is gone and in the place of it bread, will your tears and shame not rend a hole more irreparable? I would rather be hungry for a thousand days than sell my honor.

No! It is better to continue on city wide half rations than to begin acting like slaves. Be that as it may, this insidious attempt to degrade the value of Roman citizenship does not even do so out of a sense of duty to help fellow citizens. Their motives are completely bereft of civil responsibility. Why do some senators back this motion? They do not have your interests at heart. They seek to pander to a minority of the deprived in an attempt to garner support for their radical ideas. They will stop at nothing until they have decapitated our ancient institutions and laws all for their own selfish personal gain.

I implore you to see past their supposed liberal thinking. With one hand they would soothe your pains and with the other wield you as a weapon against the rightful institutions. I call upon the divine aid of Jupiter Capitolinus and offer this vow. I offer my life for the sake of the Republic! Let my blood flow freely along the marble steps of the Basilica Aemilia before the name Roman loses all honor and dignity.

Severus quickly descended the rostra and returned to the senate

+0.5 Populist points awarded - ulti
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; August 03, 2011 at 11:42 AM.

MuttonChops's Avatar Praepositus

Numerius strolled onto the Rostra. His loyal bodyguard Lucius cleared the path and helped the aging Senator over the steps. A sudden breeze moved his Toga, his eyes squinted at the gathering crowd. He hated public assemblies and yearned for the sight of his wife. Perhaps she watches still from the dead.
    "May the Gods carry my words true across Italy" He muttered to himself

"Friends and citizens of Rome, by now news have reached every corner of our Republic, heralding our great victory over the Cilician Rebels. Our peace, Our Pax Romana remains. This peace, won by arms is a victory of the people and its Senate: your Senate. Our victory cannot and should not be attributed to one man, for it is a tribute to our armed forces. And any one man who dares take credit for the sacrifice of noble Romans for the sake of political gains, is a vulture and knave worth less than the smallest of slaves! And I assure you there will be those who will seek to use our dead to put copper laurels on their heads. To them glory is a food, they seek and need. And to them I say begone to the den of vipers in the East!

For true Romans are driven by virtue to serve an ideal. The ideal of service, to serve a Republic of men. Beyond which there is no greater glory than to be of service to his fellow citizens. This is the principle that we must strive to follow. For here we have no Kings or Despots, only citizens of equal. This has been our history, this is the proud history of your Senate and now men seek to change our Republic to destroy this service of men for the service of one man.

But amidst the threats I still see the light, there are still men in this Republic that follows our principle of service. I see many of them in this very crowd and to them my hopes live on. I am old, I have seen many days but in one man I see our greatest chance to keep our Republic strong. That man is the Consul Cincinnatus who this very moment leads his Legion to fend off our greatest threat thus far. His Legion marches not to some far away and greatly exaggerated threat in the East, no he marches into the very mouth of danger. To the North our ancient foes the Gauls are once again threatening our very Republic. With a force greater than those arrayed by the Cilician rebels. These are not mere levies but warriors trained and built to hate our way of life, they hate our civility and our superiority. The Roman way of life is a word they fear and hate for they can never attain it!

We must offer our deepest prayers for the Consul Cincinnatus and the brave Romans who now marches to defeat our foes. They who seeks neither glory but only the satisfaction of serving and to save their families deserve our respect. Not to men who fancy themselves as Demi-gods. Thank you for your time"
    With a tired sigh. Numerius left for the baths and to his home.

(+.5 points)
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; August 04, 2011 at 08:23 PM.

Quintus strode up to steps.

"Dear citizens of Rome, There has recently been a worrying development in the Senate, concerning taxes. As you well know we honourable citizens of this great Republic does not have to pay taxes since we have provinces that are wealthy enough, however the Quaestor Titus Felix Celatus seeks to change this. He wants to impose taxes of 5 percent on citizens making more than 6000 Denarii a year, I know that some of you may think that it is justice having the richest member of our society paying taxes.

However that means that these Senators,wealthy merchants, land owners and artisans will have less money to build trade ships, hire builders, build farms et cetera which will affect all of Rome making us less wealthy. Furthermore also opens up the possibility that honest hard working citizens such as you in front of me will have to start to pay taxes and what I think is worst about is the fact that the Quaestor wants to reward the ones who have made their wealth with taxes essentially stripping some of our privileges as citizens making us pay taxes as mere provincials that has never laid eyes upon this beautiful queen of cities. This I find insulting to us and all our ancestor who have fought many wars of conquest ensuring our right not to pay taxes and also insulting to you, delegating the citizens that rules this Republic to pay taxes just as any barbarians living within Rome's borders.

The means which the Quaestor seeks to use this funds is also ludicrous, he seeks to set up an emergency fund if any catastrophe should occur and only use the funds for that purpose. I am certain that you virtuous citizens have not done anything to upset the gods so I do not even see the point of this, furthermore if gods forbid anything should happen the treasury increases with a substantial amount that would be enough to cover even the worst crisis and if it would not suffice extra tax could always be added to the provinces.

So leave the taxes to the provincials while we Roman citizens shall use our funds more productively."
    These fine gentlemen's have thanks to their consistent idiotic posts have earned their place on my ignore list: mrmouth, The Illusionist, motiv-8, mongrel, azoth, thorn777 and elfdude. If you want to join their honourable rank you just have to post idiotic posts and you will get there in no time.

Titus , furious at the lies, stood in protest
    "Senator Quintus misinforms you! Yes, a tax would be levied upon those making 6,000+ denarii a year, but what he false to say is that it is only levied against SENATORS! Yes, just Senators. You, the man who actually works for his living is not affected by it! Nearly every Senator is against it. Why? Because they are greedy, and fear parting with even the least amount of money. The Senate itself is full of greed. I attempt to change that by showing that Senators actually hold the well being on the Republic close to them, but it has only shown me that they only look forward to tomorrow, whereas I look forward a decade.

Why protect the men who rule you? Why protect men who refuse to give up just 5 PERCENT of their income? Why? You have no reason to. Then they say it harms their honor. Really? It harms one honor to contribute to a fund so that it will one day protect Rome? Is that where we are today? Where money is valued more than life? Indeed, it is so. However, myself, with the Noble Tribune Marcellinus, have opted to contribute regardless if it is not passed. We know that catastrophes and natural disasters can not be predicted. We know that this Republic's economy would buckle under its overspending if such a thing were to happen. We know, and are contributing to a National effort. But others, such as Senator Quintus, even Consul Artillius, hold their bank account higher than your life. Its a tax against the most powerful men Rome, not the farmer, not the merchant, not the fisherman. The Senate. Pressure the rest of the Senators to provide for your future well being, and they will see that their personal funds can afford it."

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius View Post
    "Senator Quintus misinforms you! Yes, a tax would be levied upon those making 6,000+ denarii a year, but what he false to say is that it is only levied against SENATORS! Yes, just Senators. You, the man who actually works for his living is not affected by it! Nearly every Senator is against it. Why? Because they are greedy, and fear parting with even the least amount of money. The Senate itself is full of greed. I attempt to change that by showing that Senators actually hold the well being on the Republic close to them, but it has only shown me that they only look forward to tomorrow, whereas I look forward a decade."
    I wholeheartedly agree with the Quaestor! The rich MUST pay for their life of luxury. I would even call for people making 15,000+ denarii a year to pay 10% of their profits toward the fund! The people affected by this tax have so much money, they can buy 15 trade vessels or equip three legions. Surely a small tax won't starve them like the plebian living in Suburba! The insane belief that senators can contribute as little as possible for society, yet reap the maximum reward is unsustainable! We MUST force the new kings of Roma to pay Roma back for everything that she have given them.
    Gaius Claudius Nero - TRS

Quintus Claudius Nero - Aux

Don't listen to what this men say Roman citizens, our Republic is rich, we are the richest faction of the known world, never did we need to pay taxes why would we need now? There is no rich nor poor in our republic there is only us Romans, it's not fair to tax the richest just because they win more money, that money is gained with their work, they are not stealing anybody they are working for it, those men that the Questor and his supporters call rich are of the most important for the welfare of our civilization, Rome needs all of us but we've to agree that a man that puts his own live in risk by going to far lands spreading our civilization deserves a better reward, tell me people, what would be of all of us without those men that they call rich? Those men are our governors, it's they who work hardly for ensure that we all prosper, that we all are save, isn't that more than enough for them to deserve a better payment? It's fair that those that hold higher positions win more? Be no blind Romans, they only want the rich to pay taxes because they envy them, and is the envy fair? I say no, it's not fair, if they were good enough it would be them who would be holding higher positions, but they aren't and they aren't because they aren't good enough for that. As you can see Romans this men have nothing but envy.

Why protect the men who rule you?
    The Quaestor dares to say that we don't need to protect our rulers, oh Roman Citizens, what would be of us without rulers? Without rules there would be no rules neither law, your homes, your jobs would be stolen, our enemies would invade us, our nation would have no unity because there would be nobody to rule us, we would be conquered by our enemies, we would be made slaves of inferior nations, is that that you want Romans?
    Last edited by ForteS; August 18, 2011 at 06:18 PM.

What would we be without rulers? We would be FREE! Romans have the right to rule their own destiny, and you, great people of the city of Roma, do not allow a ruler to control your lives! Remove the limitations put upon you by the aristocrats, demand that they do just as much as you do dear Romans, for if a chariot has only one wheel, you never end up getting anywhere.

We must tax the aristocrats to insure the protection and restoration of res publica in the event of a disaster. What if Rome goes through another march on her? Will she be able to feed her people if the Granaries are destroyed? How will she keep her people clean if all the aqueducts collapse? It would take years for the Republic to build up the funds for the reparations, and years more to actually fix it! How can you look at these innocent people and neglect them the knowledge that they will not be killed during the next earthquake, or fire? Tell me, fellow senators, how you can deny a young Roman child his grain or his water because we "didn't expect the granary to burn down or the aqueducts to collapse."

Scipio shakes his head.

What will you say next to the people? Will you tell them to make a revolt? It's what it seems that you are suggesting.

I speak not of revolt. I speak of rights, the right to life, to rule one's life, and all the rights granted by this wonderful republic. I simply ask that those who can, pay for those who cannot. Is that not why we have our baths, arenas, and grain dole? It would take to long to make one person rebuild a public building. Remember the Temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus? Poor Catalus could not finish it in ten years, whereas if the senate used a special fund, I estimate that Jupiter's temple would have been completed in three years. We can all share the burden that used to be left on one person.

Dark Storm's Avatar saut dans le vide
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Senator Gnaeus entered the Rostra to speak

"People of Rome, you are being misinformed. These are merely the opinions of Senators, who do not truly understand our Republic. Yes as Senator Scipio states we would be nothing without our Rulers, yet what would we be without you, what would us Rulers be without you, nothing. There can be no Rome without its Senate, there can be no Senate without its people and there can be no people without Rome. Rome is our banner, the people are our army, the senate are our generals. We work as one, we live as one. Therefore we must be treated as one. Senator Lucius tells you that you would be free without us. Without us you would be slaves, to the barbarians in the North, the Greeks in the East and the Africans in the South. We bring together legions, you make the legions. Romans MUST work together, there MUST be no dissent, there MUST be fairness in how we are ruled and above all there MUST be ROME. Listen instead to these words, i am one of you, i am a Roman, my father was a soldier, who died in defense of us. They rise a tax against us, they rise a tax against Rome, against every roman value, they destroy our nation. Let the senate provide you with assisstance, i will help the people of this city, do you think other senators will if there is a tax. Or do you think they may keep what is left of their earnings to themselves. However without this tax, senators would be willing to provide for you, senators would be willing to give you jobs and they would we willing to help Rome. This is not a time for dissolution, this is a time for harmony, this is a time for the people, for the legions and the Senate. THIS is a time for ROME"
    ...treasure, pleasure, leisure, les yeux;
    It's all in your eyes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast