Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who wants fewer cities?

Darth Wong's Avatar Pit Bull

Default Am I the only one who wants fewer cities?

It seems to me that every major MOD adds a ton of extra provinces/cities to the map. It also seems that most of the gamers cheer this on and consider it a great improvement. So am I the only one who thinks that it would be nice to actually have fewer cities, so that campaigns go quicker?

Yes, I have a life outside the Internet and Rome Total War
    "Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions" - Stephen Colbert
    Under the kind patronage of Seleukos

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

No you're not. I'm completely with you on this.

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

No.. more cities are BORING.. We want battles.. but for empire builders more cities are great!

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

100% agree i always find that maintaining a mundus magna empire of more than 60 or so cities gets boring,when all you really want to do is battle it out with whoever else has a huge empire,

I prefer fewer cities not because it's quicker, but because every city is important and has a strategic value. You could quickly conquer a large empire, but you could loose it just as quick if you're not careful.

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

larger map - yes
    more cities - no

Arbaces's Avatar Miles

Yeah man. Your problem doesn't come from the number of cities but for the difficulty of managing them.

My vote goes to scripted managing of cities and improved, remade tech trees. One building for recruitment, one for infrastructure, one for law&trade... stuff like this. I'll see what I can do, since I've got a project of my own which will mess with every thing that makes the gamplay bad.

Farewell,
    Arbaces

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

i like the enlarged map and the more provinces its just a shame that this equals alot of sieges lol
    Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

yeah, thats it, the problem with more cities, is not more managing (you could automanage i believe) but that it results in more sieges. Armies can just go and hide in their cities, so after the ai looses its fielded armies, you end up having to fight a bunch of sieges, wich wouldnt bee too bad if they werent so monotne, repetetive, and most of the time: easy.

Mirconus the Great's Avatar Civis

I like a map with many many provinces. If you like the Hellenistic Era, u could join my modding team...
    YES, I DO LOVE ANTIQUITY

player1's Avatar Bug Hunter

I support less cities.
    Or at least not more then in original campaign, or maybe even BI.
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack
    Romano British provincial campaign

Tostig's Avatar -

I like more cities, but only in context. It was why (in my opinion) the Viking Invasion map was the best one so far.
    Garbarsardar has been a dapper chap.

If only the capitals have walls you can reduce the siege parties. The game becomes more dynamic, the AI is expanding more aggressivly and defending cities is more difficult

repman

BareBonesWars 8.1 for RTW 1.5
    Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Deus lo Vult DLV 6.2 for MTW II Kingdoms
    Norway+Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+Teutonic_Order+Armenia+Crusader+Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6, big map, military career, economic system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, religion dependent recruiting, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

Well all very true but if you like battles so much, just play custom battles !

LSJ's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I like to have a fair amount of cities and a large map, but I like having longer distances between cities.
    When someone just adds provinces, I don't think its that much better.
    I like when people make the scale smaller, so that there can be a few more provinces, but the distances between them are doubled or tripled, in other words: more battles, same empire-building.

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Am I the only one who wants fewer cities?

Quote Originally Posted by halie satanus
    100% agree i always find that maintaining a mundus magna empire of more than 60 or so cities gets boring,when all you really want to do is battle it out with whoever else has a huge empire,
    Yep after that there's to many cities and to many family members.

Mirconus the Great's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by DarkProphet
    I like to have a fair amount of cities and a large map, but I like having longer distances between cities.
    When someone just adds provinces, I don't think its that much better.
    I like when people make the scale smaller, so that there can be a few more provinces, but the distances between them are doubled or tripled, in other words: more battles, same empire-building.
    Hmmmm... I think the longer the campaign is, the difficulty level increases and so the fun level...
    I mean there should be bigger distances between cities, but also many many provinces. Of course some of u won't agree with this, but the opinion is very subjective... :ninja
    YES, I DO LOVE ANTIQUITY

You can increase the distances although using the 4 turns-per-year script with reduced movement points (dynamic depending on season and faction)

repman

BareBonesWars 8.1 for RTW 1.5
    Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Deus lo Vult DLV 6.2 for MTW II Kingdoms
    Norway+Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+Teutonic_Order+Armenia+Crusader+Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6, big map, military career, economic system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, religion dependent recruiting, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

Less cities, less provinces, less walls please!

Also less battles, meaning that every battle is significant.
    Why do I have to fight 3 armies in the same place every turn?

I don't like the 4tp-thing. A large map with few provinces is good. More battles - less sieges. It makes cities more important to protect and keeps the game interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast