Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legio II Parthica

Default Legio II Parthica

As I want to avoid copyright problems I decided to change the post and dedicate it to the Legio II Phartica leaving an image:

Legio II Phartica:

This army unit and its sisters I Parthica and III Parthica were founded in 197 by the emperor Lucius Septimius Severus, who used them in his war against the Parthian empire. According to the Roman historian Cassius Dio (Roman History, 55.24.4) the First and the Third remained in the region, but the Second was transferred to the Alban mountain near Rome, where it occupied a fortress on the Alban mountain near Rome. Therefore, it was usually called "The Albanian legion", whereas the soldiers were colloquially known as "the Albanians".

Archaeologists have excavated the cemetery of Alba and we possess many tombstones of former legionaries, who had the habit to call themselves veterani Augusti nostri. A remarkable aspect is that they usually mention their centuria (battalion). This is even more remarkable because legionaries of II Parthica who had died far away from Alba (on the Danube or in the east) had the same tombstones.

This custom is almost unique; only the veterans of II Traiana Fortis at Alexandria had the same custom. It suggests that the soldiers of the Second Parthian legion were recruited among those of the Second Trajan legion, but it should be stressed that there is no evidence for this hypothesis, and it is certain that in the 230's, most legionaries were recruited at Illyricum.

Of course, a legion in Italy did not serve the protection of the frontier. It was a police force to control Rome and Central Italy, but was equally important as a strategic reserve. Too often in the second century, the Romans had been forced to move legions from one region to protect another, leaving the first region vulnerable to foreign invaders. From now on, it was always possible to send the Second Parthian legion and the imperial (or praetorian) guard from Alba and Rome to the threatened border zone. It is likely that the commander of the imperial guard, the praetorian prefect, was the superior of the commander of II Parthica.

The strategic reserve was probably used by Septimius Severus during the British campaign of 208-211, and very probably by his son and successor Caracalla during his war against the Alamanni in 213. The evidence for this second expedition (inscriptions from Worms; below), however, may also refer to the Germanic wars of Severus Alexander and Maximinus Thrax (234-236; below). II Parthica certainly fought against the Parthians in 214-217, because it is known that its commander was involved in the murder of Caracalla and the succession of the commander of the imperial guard, Macrinus.

In the winter of 217/218, it stayed at Apamea in Syria, where it sided with a new pretender: Caracalla's relative Bassianus, better known as the emperor Heliogabalus, who had already gained support of III Gallica. After his succession, the legion was rewarded with the surname Pia Fidelis Felix Aeterna ('for ever faithful, loyal and lucky'). II Parthica had some political influence. A former praetorian prefect, Triccianus, was executed because he had once treated the soldiers harshly.

Together with Heliogabalus, the legion returned to Rome (218/219). It is possible that it had been away from Italy for eleven years, if II Parthica had indeed taken part in the campaigns in Scotland, against the Alamanni, and in the east. In 220, the soldiers honored their emperor with an altar dedicated to Victoria eterna.

In 231, the emperor Severus Alexander set out for the east to fight against a new power in Mesopotamia and Syria: the Sasanians, a new Persian dynasty that had replaced the Parthians. Again, II Parthica had its winter quarters in Apamea. During the war, the expansion of the Sasanian empire was halted at the Euphrates.

After this success, the emperor marched through Illyricum to the Danube and Rhine (234), where II Parthica played a role in the war against the Germanic Alamanni. Its soldiers were present at Mainz when Severus Alexander was killed (235). Later, they loyally supported his successor Maximinus the Thracian, who victoriously concluded the Germanic war. The inscriptions mentioned above may belong to these years.

In the next years, II Parthica fought in Maximinus' war against the Sarmatians in what is now Hungary, and took part in his campaign against Italy, where the Senate had started a revolt against the recognized ruler. Two new emperors had been chosen, Pupienus and Balbinus, and Maximinus was forced to march on Rome. However, the soldiers of II Parthica knew that their relatives at Alba could be used as hostages by the senatorial emperors, and killed the legitimate ruler of the Roman empire at Aquileia. As a reward, they were permitted to return home. The unit had been away for seven years.

It was not to stay there for a long time. The cemetery of Alba contains no tombstones from the reign of Gordian III and must have been away. They were probably serving in the east, where the Romans fought a big war in Mesopotamia (242-244). In February 249, the legion had returned. In the meantime, it may have taken part in the war against the Carpi of Philippus Arabs. In the second half of 249, II Parthica fought for this emperor against his rival Decius, but were defeated at Verona in northern Italy or Beroea in Macedonia.

Inscriptions prove that during the next half a century, the legion was in several parts of the empire, but it is difficult to establish the sequence. However, it is certain that in the conflict between the emperor Gallienus and his rival Postumus (260-268), the Second Parthian legion supported the first-mentioned, for which it was rewarded with surnames like Pia V Fidelis V ('five times faithful and loyal'), Pia VI Fidelis VI, and finally Pia VII Fidelis VII. Because Postumus was ruler of Gaul and this part was not reconquered by the central government until 274, the inscription mentioning II Parthica found at Bordeaux must have been left there in the last quarter of the third century. An inscription from Arabia Petraea may belong to Aurelian's campaigns against Zenobia of Palmyra (272-273). Other inscriptions are found in Thrace, Numidia, and Cilicia. It is impossible to date the legion's stay in these provinces, although we know that there was fighting in Cilicia in 276-282.

The Second Parthian legion was in Italy at the end of the third century, but was almost certainly disbanded by Constantine I the Great after his victory at the Milvian bridge in October 312. This is not mentioned in our sources, but we know that this emperor disbanded the imperial guard as a punishment for its support of the usurper Maxentius, and it is likely that this also meant the end of II Parthica.

In the next century, a legion with the same name was garrisoned, together with II Armeniaca and II Flavia, at Bezabde (modern Cizre) on the Tigris. This must have originated in a mobile subunit of our legion that had become independent. We know that this unit was unable to prevent the capture of Bezabde by the Persians in 360. After this, the Second Parthian legion disappears from history.

The symbol of this legion was a Centaur.

DisManibvs
    AVRelivs DIZZA Cvstos Armorvm
    LEGionis II PARThicae Centvria IIII Pilvs
    POSTeriorVIXIT ANNos
    XXXVI DIES ... MILitavit
    ANNos XIIII. AVRelivs
    MVC ... MILes
    LEGionis SvpraScriptaeCentvria ...
    ET AVRelivsPYRRVS
    HEREDES FRATri
    POSVERVNT (more...)

To the spirits of the deceased.

Aurelius Dizza, guard of the weapons
    of the Second Parthian legion, fourth centuria, second
    centurio (pilus posterior), lived 36
    years and <...> days, and served
    fourteen years. Aurelius
    Muc<...>, soldier
    of the above mentioned legion, <...> centuria
    and Aurelius Pyrrus,
    his inheritors and brothers,
    erected [this stone].

Literature

• J.C. Balty, "Apamea in the Second and Third Centuries AD," in Journal of Roman Studies 78 (1988) 91-104
    • P.A. Holder, "Legio II Parthica in Italy in the reigns of Gordian III and Philip", in LCM 19.9/10
    • C. Ricci, "Legio II Parthica. Una messa a punto", in: Yann Le Bohec, Les légions de Rome sous le Haut-Empire (2000 Lyon) 397-410

There somo pictures:

Roman Lanciarii, Legio II Parthica, S.III

Legio II Phartica in the batlle of Nisibis

Matter courtesy for the author of the text Jona Lendering.
    http://www.livius.org/le-lh/legio/ii_parthica.html
    Last edited by Rampante-Cid; November 08, 2011 at 11:41 AM.

Deutschland's Avatar East of Rome Mod Leader

Default Re: Roman soldiers of the west and the east

Cool pics but i suspect them to be osprey publishings? They are illegal to be posted here.. You should better move them to the developer forum...

No the pictures are the books of the editorials Brassey, Concord and The History Press. And how do I move them to the developer forum?

Emperor Caesar's Avatar Ordinarius

Cool pics, I love the cavalry with the eagle on their helmets.

You should check the copy right status to be sure..And the developer's forum is restricted to.. Developers!

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Legio II Phartica

Good post

Signature made by Joar

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

The original post of the II Parthica which is copied above but not cited can be found here which is a great site for the background on the legions.

I wonder if the legions already looked that drastically different as in the picture for the Battle of Nisibis. They look really cool. Would the legions in Restitutor Orbis bare any resemblance to these guys? And that shield wall looks nuts!

IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar.

The picture is taken from Ancient Warfare (vol III, issue 5) detailing the Battle of Nisibis AD 217. The legionaries are accurately rendered (as much as can be deduced!) and have been influenced by Oriental styles in terms of armour and kit. The issue as a whole is devoted to Rome's Imperial nemesis Parthia and goes into detail regarding Roman strategies and developments throughout that period. This mod will be later with the rise of the Sassanians but will I expect see legionaries clad in kit in this style!

I want to buy that issue. I have the most recent one which talks of the Praetorian Guard. But yeah that issue, seems like the most interesting to me, their style of kit as you say in this period is 'unique.' And if you look at the picture there's a legionary kneeling on the ground with a brass colored mail coif!

I know - there's a lot of interesting details in it! I am pouring over it now and drooling!

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Can it be bought in an electronic format?

Signature made by Joar

Here I haven't checked it out but I think they have just introduced a PDF version.

The battle of Nisbis pic is cool. I like the guy in the background, the legionnaire near the Roman front line that has a crest on his helm and has a rectagular scutum.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Caesar View Post
    The battle of Nisbis pic is cool. I like the guy in the background, the legionnaire near the Roman front line that has a crest on his helm and has a rectagular scutum.
    I assumed he was a centurion.

Quote Originally Posted by AirAssault7 View Post
    I assumed he was a centurion.
    Could be never said he wasn't I was just assuming because legionnaries did begin to have plumes on some of there helms althought most of the time they don't.

Good information. Would be cool to have Such a thread for more legions.

Default Re: Legio II Parthica

There is debate over whether a Legion stationed in Italy could have been a terribly effective strategic reserve against non-Roman foes (see Goldsworthy) but would have been very useful in keeping an armed unit loyal to the current Princeps in Italy.

Is there evidence that the did not have Segmentata (as much as there is any evidence of this armour used beyond Trajan’s column and various small archaeological finds)?

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

@Rampante-Cid
    it's always great that information about Legions, matching the time-frame of the mod, are posted here.
    I'm sure this helps to improve the unit pool.

But it is always recommendable to give the source of the text - also a matter of courtesy for the original authors of the text - in this case Jona Lendering who has written the article about the Legio II Parthica at livius.org
    http://www.livius.org/le-lh/legio/ii_parthica.html
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; November 08, 2011 at 10:24 AM.

I'm sorry the truth is that it was an error. Now I fix. Thanks for show me my mistake.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast