Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Faction Preview No 10: The Locrians

Default Faction Preview No 10: The Locrians

Faction Preview:

The Locrian Cities

Models & Skins: Snevets, Text & research: Apostates & Team, Additional Art: Lupus.

The Locrian Cities

Although little known, there were several cities of a common Dorian heritage which put their own mark on Hellenic history: the Locrians. The Locrians most beloved their great semi-mythical Hero, Ajax the Locrian, or Ajax the Lesser, one of the two heroes with the same name that fought against the Trojans (the other being Ajax the Telamonian from the island of Salamis). Ajax the Locrian wasnt as bulky as Ajax the Telamonian, who was also more famous, but did not lack in bravery, speed and martial skills. Ajax the Locrian excelled in the Trojan war and survived, but when Troy fell he claimed Kassandra, the beautiful oracle and daughter of King Priam, and dishonoured her inside the temple of Athena. While returning to Opous, a storm broke out near Euboia and Ajax was saved by holding onto a rock. Then defiantly and courageously, the Locrian shouted to the Gods that he will be saved and return to his home, whether they like it or not, Poseidon was so outraged by Ajax's arrogance, that he smote the rock with his trident and split it in two, and Ajax fell into the sea and perished. However it wasnt only the loss of the hero; the goddess Athena altered her behavior towards the Locrians and consequently, the Locrian factions "suffered for 1000 years", as the myth states. The Locrians of the 5th century BC, fought with their hoplite phalanx, leaving an empty spot in their formation, not only to honour Aias (Ajax), but because they strongly believed that he still fought invisibly beside them!

The two biggest cities of Locris were Opous and Amphissa. Besides Ajax, Achilles' bonded friend Patroclus also hailed from Opous. Locris didn't have access to rich resources and numerous armies, but their warriors were known for their bravery and honoured their heritage, they proved they possessed the same values and virtues that their ancestors did. Mount Parnassos and the province of Phokis were situated between Opoudia Lokris and Ozolis (or Esperia) Lokris separating the lands they owned. While not as rich as the Athenians or Corinthians, they were not as poor as some rough or highland areas. They could afford to deploy a vast array of troops, save skirmishers, whom they did not enlist because they believed fighting from a distance was not honourable. The hoplites they deployed could hold their own, equipped in slightly archaic styles which they favored as a semi-practical means of tying themselves to their ancestors. For instance, they liked to wear old-fashion Achaean style helmets with more than one plume. They were a warlike people and some of the few Hellenes of classical times who not only didn't detest, but honoured Ares, the God of War, and carried on their shields many of the war-god's symbols. Opountian Locrians were some of the few non-Peloponnesians who willingly joined King Leonidas in defending Thermopylae against the huge Persian army, along with the famous Thespians and another stock of people similar to Locrians, their neighbours, the Phocians. The Opountian Locrians sent all their available army to Thermopylae and before the battle started, and at the moment of desperation and indescision before the beginning of the battle, when most of the Peloponnesians wanted to retreat before the number of Persians, supported Leonidas' decision to stand ground against the invaders.

Amphissa and Myonia were the strongholds of Ozolian Locrians in the west, but their port Naupaktos, in the Corinthian gulf, suffered an attack from the Athenians, which resulted in Messenean refugees to be placed there. Besides Opous city, there were also the cities of Thronion and Nikaia in the Euboean gulf, where the Epiknemedian Locrians lived. The Epizephyrean Locrians, coming from Ozolian Lokris and possibly assisted by their Opountian brothers, colonized southern Italy in 680 BC, and later managed to defeat even the famous city of Croton. Epizephyrean Locrians had played an active role in the affairs of Magna Graecia and established more cities of their own on the western coasts of southern Italy. Due to hard winds at the original location of the settlement, they moved to the present Locroi site, where the city was founded. After a century, a wall around the city was built from large stone blocks. Epizephyrioi Locroi was one of the more important cities of Magna Graecia. It was renowned for its lawgiver Zaleukos, who passed a law that decreed that anyone who proposed a change in his laws, should do so with a noose about his neck, with which he should be hanged if the amendment did not pass. Plato called the city "The flower of Italy", due to the local peoples' characteristics. In its early history, Locroi was allied with Sparta, and later on allied with Syracuse.
    There were also more Locrian toponyms depending on the area they inhabited. All of them spoke an authentic Dorian dialect (of the kind of Doric dialects spoken in the north-western areas, not like the southern Laconian dialects), and unlike their neighbours the Phocians, the Aetolians, and the Thebans who spoke a mixed Aiolic with some Dorian influences and even some Achaian maybe (in Phocida's case).

Locris lies next to Delphi and may be tempted to attack the sacred oracle of Apollo and try to control it. However they must be careful, and wait for the right time for the suitable chance when their opponents are busy on wars or they will be forced to face the Hellenic factions which will seek to take advantage of the situation. They are already surrounded by dangerous enemies like the Phokis rebels east of Amphissa, the brigand rebels who control Aetolia to the west and also Thebes and Athens, which neighbour Opous. A successful and responsible Locrian general will not try an early expansion which may put his homeland at risk, but instead secure his provinces, biding the time when the Dorian valor of his hoplites will weaken by defense the stronger armies surrounding them. Expanding in Italy may prove to be the most lucrative and least resistant path to early expansion.

Locations/Regions around Locris

Faction Units

Locrian Hoplites
    The typical Locrian hoplite wearing the old style helmet with double plumes and composite breast.

Opountian Hoplites
    Ajax the lesser, the local hero of Opous, is depicted on the shields of these brave hoplites.

Amphissa Hoplites
    Although the major city of the Ozolians to the west lies next to a region where hoplite warfare is not popular amongst the less civilised people living there, the Ozolians fight as hoplites nevertheless. Their city's blazon depicts the Caledonian boar.

Locrian Elite Hoplites
    These hoplites carry large "kopis" swords which give them an advantage in close combat.

Locrian Epizephyrian Hoplites
    The Locrians of Italy, identified by their city's blazon.

Italian/Locrian Medium Cavalry
    The greeks of Italy have developed mounted warfare to a higher level and can afford medium cavalry units.

Phokian Hoplites
    The Phokians live between Opountian Locris and Ozolian Locris and look akin to the Locrians.

Locrian Bodyguard
    The bravest soliders in the Locrian army, the general's companions will protect their general from harm or die trying.

-----

We sincerely hope you've enjoyed another faction preview,
    The Hegemonia Team

If you would like to learn more about Hegemonia-City States, visit us at our development forum.
    Last edited by ozz; October 23, 2006 at 08:17 PM.

Believe in Hegemonia... Or the Megarian will get you.

look excellent and great variety!

Very nice,keep updating us on this great mod=D
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable Bolkonskij

Indulge yourself into discovering the race of the Turks that stormed the Oriental world and regained their honor from the despair of decay.
    The Expiation of Degeneracy-A Great Seljuks AAR at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276748
    "By purple death I'm seized and fate supreme."- Julian the Apostate

MithradatesVI's Avatar Civis

So...gorgeous.....

god i can't wait for this mod!

Civis

Good preview. Where is Argos? lol

“You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.”
    Aristotle

Diomedes was
    formely Graccus

KALI's Avatar Senator

Nice one guys,
    I was just begining to think things were slowing down a bit. I was almost ready to offer my services but you dudes have obviously got it all covered. Seriously looking forward to Heg's release.
    I came, I saw, I went away again.

Another great faction preview. What more can be said.
    [Massive Sig Here]

very good preview as allways :wink:
    the only thing i found a bit strange was the face and the helmet of the elite hoplites they look nice though can you pls fix it?
    that would be awesome
    Mentee to MasterOfThessus

ozz's Avatar Tiro

topic pinned... btw

''ΑΝΔΡΩΝ ΕΠΙΦΑΝΩΝ ΠΑΣΑ ΓΗ ΤΑΦΟΣ'' - ΘΟΥΚΥΔΙΔΗΣ
    Hegemonia Website here, Hegemonia Forum here

You guys have never failed to amaze me....Dang, I was so waiting for another preview

But why isn't this stickied?
    "The Age Of Roma Shall End, The Age Of Hellas Shall Rise Again"

"Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obident to their Laws we lie"
    -Monument dedicated to the 300 Spartans and 700 Thespians who fell to the last man defending the pass at Thermopylae

ozz's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Gunno_Desk
    But why isn't this stickied?
    Topic stickied...

''ΑΝΔΡΩΝ ΕΠΙΦΑΝΩΝ ΠΑΣΑ ΓΗ ΤΑΦΟΣ'' - ΘΟΥΚΥΔΙΔΗΣ
    Hegemonia Website here, Hegemonia Forum here

Looks very polished! I love the helmets too!

Beautiful preview!
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Beautiful preview!!! I can'wait!!!! When it's ready????

Did you add another map? Or is my mind playing tricks on me!
    [Massive Sig Here]

Wow, those models and skins were something special! There is very detailed work on them!
    Hegemonia Team! You are the best!!!
    New pics on 24/4/2007

Wow once again you guys are awesome to the max

Maron's Avatar I'm afraid of everyone

You guys rock my soxx and own my bones!

i love this mod! I cant wait to play it!

In the Legion of Rahl Under the patronage of Corporal_Hicks

“I grew up middle class, white, my parents loved me. So I might not necessarily relate to what your circumstances were. I hear them and understand them, but that’s not an excuse for you to fail. Don’t come in here and say, ‘Well, you know, that’s just kind of the way I was brought up.’ No. If you’re in a bad way right now, it’s because of the choices you made in response to your circumstances. So change your choices.” -Gene Chizik

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

10 factions done, and 10 factions remaining?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast