Thread: video with flying units and all.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Default video with flying units and all.

That video contain lots off stuff that we all TATW should take a look

Flying units quality looks cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htYkl...layer_embedded

Default Re: video with flying units and all.

We know about it, it's been talked about a dozen times already.

I have never seen or heard about that video before (probably because I have no interest in CoW), those units look like they need A LOT of work though. Not what I would call quality, but a nice start to quality. Call of Warhammer seems like such a silly little universe after watching that video, everything is so drastically (to put it lightly) different from everything else. What is the point of posting that here though? TATW already has four leg and flying animations made by your's truly, so why use the CoW ones that do not look or probably work as good from what I could tell from the video? Maybe someday they will be great, but they still look like a serious WIP to me.
    Last edited by alreadyded; August 02, 2011 at 04:06 PM.

A flying creature animation is not that hard to make, the question is if they are actually "flying", so that they can go over other units and buildings and can't be attacked by melee units on the ground. Has that already been figured out by the community?

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Maegfaer View Post
    A flying creature animation is not that hard to make, the question is if they are actually "flying", so that they can go over other units and buildings and can't be attacked by melee units on the ground. Has that already been figured out by the community?
    I'm not actually sure it will ever be possible, the engine just isn't built for it. It's like the last installment of Dawn of War where they got a new developer to make it because the originals wouldn't put planes etc in because they knew it wouldn't work.
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Quote Originally Posted by smoesville View Post
    I'm not actually sure it will ever be possible, the engine just isn't built for it.
    The unit thing is easy, the building thing is a bit harder. But I have actually seen my flying units fly over walls the very few times I used/faced them in siege battles, I haven't pinpointed what changes I made that correlate with it but it is definitely possible. Nothing is impossible, some things just are not worth the time and effort required though. I haven't had time to properly work on it though, and I doubt I will with all the other things I already have on my plate.
    Last edited by alreadyded; August 02, 2011 at 05:06 PM.

If flying units were available i wouldnt be a fan, having to chase around a flying unit everywhere just wouldnt do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    I have never seen or heard about that video before (probably because I have no interest in CoW), those units look like they need A LOT of work though. Not what I would call quality, but a nice start to quality. Call of Warhammer seems like such a silly little universe after watching that video, everything is so drastically (to put it lightly) different from everything else. What is the point of posting that here though? TATW already has four leg and flying animations made by your's truly, so why use the CoW ones that do not look or probably work as good from what I could tell from the video? Maybe someday they will be great, but they still look like a serious WIP to me.
    CoW has some of the best modders and is one of the best mods out there with the some of the most high quality work. I am disgusted by your post.

KnightsTemplar's Avatar Campidoctor

Theres 'magic attack' included...... lol
    Aure entuluva!

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

The unit thing is easy, the building thing is a bit harder. But I have actually seen my flying units fly over walls the very few times I used/faced them in siege battles, I haven't pinpointed what changes I made that correlate with it but it is definitely possible. Nothing is impossible, some things just are not worth the time and effort required though. I haven't had time to properly work on it though, and I doubt I will with all the other things I already have on my plate.
    No one is talking about taking the units from COW and implement in TATW, its just for showing people that things are possible.

You got units to fly over buildings?!?!

Seriously?

... What? Is the universe of LOTR silly? Are Elves not drastically different when compared to Orcs? Are Men not drastically different when compared to Dwarves? Ents and trolls? Hobbits and goblins? And that's just a few examples. You can take it even further and compare how different men of Gondor are from men of Dale. Or how different elves of Lorien are from elves of Lindon. Etc etc.

I think the quality AND the animations are well done. I get that you're partial to your own work, but that's no reason to criticize another modder. Before you say it, it wasn't constructive criticism. If that was your intent, you would tell the modder directly. Overall, I took your post as a bash against another modder while trying to protect/elevate your own work. Not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Stein View Post
    ... What? Is the universe of LOTR silly? Are Elves not drastically different when compared to Orcs? Are Men not drastically different when compared to Dwarves? Ents and trolls? Hobbits and goblins? And that's just a few examples. You can take it even further and compare how different men of Gondor are from men of Dale. Or how different elves of Lorien are from elves of Lindon. Etc etc.

I think the quality AND the animations are well done. I get that you're partial to your own work, but that's no reason to criticize another modder. Before you say it, it wasn't constructive criticism. If that was your intent, you would tell the modder directly. Overall, I took your post as a bash against another modder while trying to protect/elevate your own work. Not cool.
    Well said mate.

Wow, some of you guys may have taken what I said all wrong. All I meant was the four leg and flying animations from that video need a lot more work, everything else looked great. I am not bashing his work (I don't even know who he is), or promoting mine, just saying that KK (not me, it has nothing to do with me) will probably not want to use it because it is no better than what TATW already has (the wolf running animation looks just like the current warg ones in TATW so why swap it out?). I honestly don't care what any of you think of my work, or whether you or anyone uses it or not. I made my stuff for me and to better myself and I hope whomever made the work above was smart enough to do the same. I didn't mean to offend him, I was just stating what I saw from the video. Since when did honesty become the same thing as cruelty anyway? I don't even want my units to be in TATW, but KK asked me and I have used a bunch of his work in the past so how could I say no to someone so nice and helpful? Finally, it is not like I went to his work thread and posted this, this is a discussion about adding them to TATW (I guess, I did ask) and was written with that in mind.

As for the Cow universe... get over yourself, all I said was it is drastically different to me, as it should be because I know nothing about it! From the video I saw cowboys, undead, orcs, bear riders, etc... all in the same world, that is drastically different to what I am used to. The silly little universe comment applies to all fictional works, because that is exactly what they all are... a silly little made up universe.
    Last edited by alreadyded; August 03, 2011 at 02:09 AM.

Wow, some of you guys may have taken what I said all wrong. All I meant was the four leg and flying animations from that video need a lot more work, everything else looked great. I am not bashing his work (I don't even know who he is), or promoting mine, just saying that KK (not me, it has nothing to do with me) will probably not want to use it because it is no better than what TATW already has (the wolf running animation looks just like the current warg ones in TATW so why swap it out?). I honestly don't care what any of you think of my work, or whether you or anyone uses it or not. I made my stuff for me and to better myself and I hope whomever made the work above was smart enough to do the same. I didn't mean to offend him, I was just stating what I saw from the video. Since when did honesty become the same thing as cruelty anyway? I don't even want my units to be in TATW, but KK asked me and I have used a bunch of his work in the past so how could I say no to someone so nice and helpful? Finally, it is not like I went to his work thread and posted this, this is a discussion about adding them to TATW (I guess, I did ask) and was written with that in mind.

As for the Cow universe... get over yourself, all I said was it is drastically different to me, as it should be because I know nothing about it! From the video I saw cowboys, undead, orcs, bear riders, etc... all in the same world, that is drastically different to what I am used to. The silly little universe comment applies to all fictional works, because that is exactly what they all are... a silly little made up universe.
    It's a fantasy universe. If only Humans were in it than it wouldn't be a fantasy universe. And btw there are no "cowboys" in Warhammer

KnightsTemplar's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Belkar View Post
    It's a fantasy universe. If only Humans were in it than it wouldn't be a fantasy universe. And btw there are no "cowboys" in Warhammer
    When I saw the 'skull' thingy, (actually a Jolly Roger?) and I though indead, dreadknights???
    But there's already undead shown! When the camera goes a bit down, I saw GUNS.
    GUNS! And pirate-like dudes! WTF?

You got undeads, you got goblins, orcs, elves maybe, something.
    But hey, now guns? Seriously what kind of style is this.
    Some dude still stick to big shiny sword and plate, some got bows and thing.
    But then someone come up with big guns???
    This doesn't make up well.
    Aure entuluva!

And btw there are no "cowboys" in Warhammer

i love warhammer...it's based ,as all fantasy worlds ,on Tolkien but i has it's own distinct character and it's perfect for video games!!!
    ...the whole setting is really over the top ,but that in my opinion only adds to the whole thing

it has a good dose of humour too...some things may seem pretty stupid to some people though (kinna like some certain units concepts) BUT certainly not the guns!!!!!!
    gunpowder is essential to some factions (most are of the same culture) warfare...hangunners and cannons of the empire (and a bit less for the dwarfs) are their life-jacket against the massive ork and chaos hordes

you gotta play it to get it ...playing namco-bandai's "marc of chaos" or "battlemarch" or the Call of Warhammer (maybe just custom battles cause the campaign is a bit particular for newcomers) will convince you...

it's a fantasy world started as a game not literature ,so to each their own

Should've closed this as soon as I saw it.