Thread: Talk about a full life

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Default Talk about a full life

Wow, learning a bit about my maternal grandfather, who died 7 years ago, and wow he led a full life:

-Grew up dirt-poor in North Carolina as the youngest child in his family (funny story, they sold their land because they needed the money, but shortly after oil was found on that land)
    -Knew Elvis, and a famous NASCAR driver whose name I forget
    -Served as a career soldier in the 82nd Airborne, including 2 tours of Vietnam, and at least one tour in Germany (he got in on the literal last days of Korea, and went to the country but the war was over right when he got there) retiring a Chief Warrant Officer.
    -Was in Berlin when the wall fell
    -Had two college degrees (not sure the majors)
    -Taught English and History
    -Served as a UN Aid worker (food distribution) in Rwanda
    -Taught small engine repair
    -I also believed he was a professor at one time
    -Skiied in Austria

Now I think that may be considered a full life...
    (if this is a duplicate, sorry but the first one didn't show up)
    Last edited by Farnan; March 28, 2006 at 09:07 PM.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Kino's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Talk about a full life

Deleted by user.
    Last edited by Kino; January 17, 2007 at 01:45 AM.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
    "The dying, the cripple, the mental, the unwanted, the unloved they are Jesus in disguise." - Mother Teresa
    Under the patronage of Ardeur

I really need to live a life like that.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Final Frontier's Avatar Just roaming around

Nice, he's been to every continent, save for Australia and South America, but that's nothing small. I want to visit every continent in my life, to see and experience the various cultures and bathe myself in all this knowledge. The biggest places I want to visit are historically important locations, though, where battles and stuff happened before. :original:

For now, however, I'll focus on getting through high school and college, that's enough of a burden as it is. :laughing:

Happiness is a warm gun... | "Only a life lived for others is worthwhile." -Albert Einstein
    Bang bang, shoot shoot...19| Under the patronage of therussian
    | "I couldn't resist."

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

The way he met Elvis, is that they served together in Germany. My Step-grandmother has a picture of Elvis holding my aunt as a baby.

Something about my grandpa's service in Vietnam:

I once went with him and my mom to the 82nd Airborne museum at Fort Bragg when I was little. We went pass a helicopter and my grandpa said "I once flew one of them." My mom replied saying, "I never knew you were a helicopter pilot," and he said "I wasn't..."
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Interesting story, thanks for sharing it with us. Family origins are important.

I kinda want to do similar things, like tours of duty etc, thats why ive joined the army, hoping to get deplyed one day.