Thread: The Mob

Default The Mob

(very rough draft, none of this is yet in the rules)

In the late Republic the people of Rome and Italy have begun to take a more active role in government, much to the chagrin of the ruling elite. These commoners have their own set of demands and wishes. Some politicians may find appealing to these advantageous.

A favor system based on points will be used to counteract the will and ancient authority of the senate and will enable leaders of the Republic to act contrary to the will of the senate.

Mob Roll

Each turn a mob roll shall occur which outlines the wishes of the mob. Three dice shall be rolled:

3: Grain Distribution, small (1 point)
    4: Grain Distribution, large (2 points)
    5. Grain Distribution, city-wide (3 points)
    6: Land Reforms, local (1 Point)
    7: Land Reforms, regional, (2 points)
    8: Land Reforms, National (3 points)
    9: Italians Demand Citizenship (3 points)
    10: Social Reforms (1 point)
    11: Social Reforms (2 points)
    12: Social Reforms (3 points)
    13: Military Reforms (1 point)
    14: Military Reforms (2 points)
    15: Military Reforms (3 points)
    16: Housing Reforms (1 point)
    17: Housing Reforms (2 points)
    18: Housing Reforms (3 points)
    19: City Improvements (1 point)
    20: City Improvements (2 points)
    21: City Improvements (3 points)

Any senator may propose a law which will satisfy the wishes of the mob. This law must be seconded by a Tribune of the Plebs. Every reform that is made will somehow affect the status quo. Reforms worth more points shall have a bigger impact on the status quo. Senators who propose and successfully pass a reform gain all of the points assigned to the reform. Supporters of the bill, which includes the necessary tribune support, shall receive half the points. EX: If a senator proposes a reform worth two points, any supporting senator receives 1 point

What can I do with my points? Spend them.

Bid for Power: 15 points (The Senate outlawing you has no affect on your popularity. Your propaganda has convinced the mob that you have just as much a right to rule as the senate)

Stuff the ballot boxes: 3 points (You gain two additional votes in any office you run for)

Influence voters: 2 points (You gain one additional vote in any office you run for)

Charismatic Leader: 4 points (Your legions will fight for a year without upkeep out of loyalty)

Sufficiently Popular: 2 points (50/50 chance of having any case brought against you dismissed)

Renowned Orator: 2 points (Negates chances of dismissing a suit brought against a magistrate)

Levy Master: 1 point will reduce the cost of levying a legion by 500 denarii per point (maximum of 10 points used per legion)

Negative Effects:
    For every week the demands of the mob are not met, the available points shall be added to the Public Discontent meter. The negative effects shall be as follows:

2 points: All upkeep for legions increased by 5%

3 Points: All legions levied by the senate cost 10% more.

6 points: Popular revolt, one dice rolled, multiplied by 1,000.

10 points: Popular revolt, two dice thrown, multiplied by 1,000

15 points: Massive revolt, three dice thrown, multiplied by 1,500

Tribune Vetoes on a reform bill:

If a tribune of the plebs ever vetoes a reform bill, he will incur negative reactions from the mob:

Veto of a 1 point measure: An angry mob attacks your family servants and property causing 1Dx15 denarii in damage.

Veto of a 2 point measure: An angry mob descends upon the house of the tribune, 10% chance of being lynched

Veto of a 3 point measure: Unable to run for tribune for one year, 10% chance of being lynched
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; August 01, 2011 at 09:12 PM.

Default Re: (WIP) The Mob

An example of a Land Reform Bill could be as follows:

"The Senate hereby forbids the ownership of multiple farmsteads in the same region"

Which could have an in game effect of -2% farming bonus modifier.

Or a military reform bill:

"The Senate hereby allows the landless citizens of the Republic to enlist in the military"

- Which could have an in game effect of +5% legion recruitment cost

This is very simplified, of course, and in character proposals will require more.

Lord Slayer's Avatar Campidoctor

But a Tribune could Veto that right ?. If the senate was to do that with land reform. And the senator got approval from one of the tribunes. The other Tribune could veto that still ?.
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

The Roman Struggle, a Late Roman Republic RPG.

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Technically, yes. Thanks for saying that, it gave me an idea.

Technically, yes. Thanks for saying that, it gave me an idea.
    Interesting.. What is this idea of yours ?
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Negative effects for the direct representatives of the people blocking initiatives the people demand happen.

Negative effects for the direct representatives of the people blocking initiatives the people demand happen.
    Those are harsh though . But hey it comes with the office nice idea !
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

The only thing I would add is that their needs to be negatives to these reforms their is a reason the Optimites did not want such things passed.
    Patronised by happyho
    Patron of Thoragoros, Chilon
    Member of the Legion of Rahl

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blackadder View Post
    The only thing I would add is that their needs to be negatives to these reforms their is a reason the Optimites did not want such things passed.
    There are, I just haven't written them down. I don't think I will, either, since the effect should for all intents and purposes be unpredictable. Suffice it to say that negative effects from passed reforms will happen, we just don't know how severe they will be

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    There are, I just haven't written them down. I don't think I will, either, since the effect should for all intents and purposes be unpredictable. Suffice it to say that negative effects from passed reforms will happen, we just don't know how severe they will be
    Excellent to hear.
    Patronised by happyho
    Patron of Thoragoros, Chilon
    Member of the Legion of Rahl