Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Sophus and Scaeva - 484AVC

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Consulate of Sophus and Scaeva - 484AVC

Forgive me Quaestor, but I fail to see what the problem is then? Corvenus is no longer Consul, thank the gods, and these tax collectors are perfectly innocent, or so you claim. Thus the money can no longer be syphoned of by Corvenus, and we are back in business. Simply tell us the rate you wish to set, or the quota you wish upon each settlement and we shall vote upon it. We shall just add stealing from the state to a growing number charges that are being laid against Corvenus.

However if I recall correctly, you said that the tax collectors where indeed corrupt!
    Spurius reads out a quotefrom the scribe:
    The last issue that I wish to bring to your attention is the need for a standardized tax rate. As it is cities are being drained of every last Mnai by corrupt tax collectors who take half of it for themselves. Another quarter of that goes into "shipping expenses" in all Rome only receives a quarter of the taxes extracted from the people. It is clear that something must be done to remedy this state of affairs.
    So my suggestion of hauling in the corrupt collectors still stands, and as for the merchant men shipping, why I do believe we still have a borrowed merchant fleet from the wars, perhaps we could use state ships to ship state gold, wouldn't it be far safer that way, and devoid of obscene charges?

I would set the rate at half of what the city of Rome currently pays out.

OOC: Normal, down from Very high.

Lord Slayer's Avatar Campidoctor

Servius listened to the debate and played with his beard as he listened to the senatros debate. HE needed to shave but he had not he time to shave in recent days as he was always called to the Curia to hear the debates of Senators about little things that did not really matter to him. He rose to speak only a few words as he did not really know how to respond

" I agree with the Queastor motion and urge this body to support the motion as well. it benfits the Republic as a whole in my opinion "
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

The Roman Struggle, a Late Roman Republic RPG.

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

In that case I too support it, although I would prefer to add one more clause.
    IV. All the current tax collectors of the Italian states be recalled to Rome, and investigated individually for stealing money from the state. All guilty tax collectors shall be charged and replaced.
    I also support the second motion of our Quaestor.

Gone 2 the Celts's Avatar Primicerius

I agree with the Quaestors bill. But, before we go frolicking in Cisalpine Gaul, I would like a spy to be sent north to get information
    OOC: A screenshot
    Quote Originally Posted by Kip Bohannon View Post
    I'm actually quite fond of Egyptian mythology. I'm quite fond of anything with golden penises, really.

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Flavius gazed all the senators. Another war? So soon? Are these men blind?

Senators, i am against to sending a force in north - for now. Soon, when Rome has recovered, we can do that at ease, no problem. Therefore, the best target would be Segesta which is still infested by those Eleutheroi, notice, the same men that caused the revolt of Arpi.
    Dear old senators. Flavius laughed to the arguing senators in his mind. The Senate had, apart from his wish to accomplish his political ambitions, became the very source of amusement for him. He did not admit it to himself, though. This way he strangely disagreed with himself over from time to time.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Corvenus his remark greatly annoyed him. The man who got crushed while besieging the walls of Carthage, the man who went rampage over Sicily, that man was now arguing war was not a good thing?

'Senator Corvenus, even though I highly value your opinion I do believe you in particular should not speak about matters regarding war. Not after that loss the Poenii inflicted on your forces. Currently the first legion is in tip top shape. As is our economy in general, the few rough edges are the things our dear quaestor has mentioned. So basically, we are already ready to face the threat up north.'

He took a moment to look at Scaeva's proposal. No person wouldn't agree with this..

'I have to agree with my co-consul here, the corrupt tax collectors have to be prosecuted. Justice has to find it's way. If only the praetor was here.'

He looked around, no trace of Poplicola yet. He had been investigating the fraud for over a year now, when would he make some damn progress.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Marcus stands,

I agree with the Quaestors proposals, but i am against the disbandment of the Socii legion or any war north with the barbarians and Ligurii. If we keep pushing north every city we conquer there will always be another barbarian town beyond it to threaten us, it shall become an endless cycle. No, if we were to expand anywhere, it should be Illyria or the islands to the south. Now i am not advocating war with carthage so soon after the treaty was signed, but it is an option, and i do not think this conflict has yet been resolved...

I stand behind Marula here. The most profitable place to expand would be into Greeca and Illryia, and probably the easiest to conquer. Before we expand, however, we need to settle the economy. Has anyone heard from Poplicola of his findings yet?
    Flavius sits and absent mindedly twirls his mustache
    I'm actually quite fond of Egyptian mythology. I'm quite fond of anything with golden penises, really.

Shall we move the tax proposal to vote then? I'd rather not spend an entire senate meeting arguing over a tax policy that we all basically agree on, especially since there are other, more important matters that we need to discuss.

(Nodding towards Corvenus.)

Senators may I remind you that the treaty with Carthage prohibits us from expanding South, East or too far to the West? And may I also remind you that we lack the funds, manpower, and Naval might to fight Carthage? No, our expansion lies to the North, the Alps will provide a barrier against Barbarian aggression, and a few victories in the north will give Rome much needed confidence and prestige.
    Last edited by War lord; August 03, 2011 at 05:03 PM.

No, Senator Caldius, our peace treaty only prohibited Roman expansion south and west. We are still free to invade Greece and Gaul.

Esteemed Senators!
    Spurius rose to give a short speech, waiting for silence to fill the senate halls.
    Yet again Roman lands are being raided by celts! Yet again they have come to steal riches from our temples! Yet again they march away with women supposedly under Roman protection!
    These are not men from enemy lands, no they are men from our lands. Today, we learn an important lesson about the celts, we cannot defeat them by occupying one oppida. They are just like the Samnites that came before them.

Raiders are crossing from Boinonia into lands that have been under our control for much longer, perhaps displaced by our recent conquest of the area.

I call upon the senate to allow me to take our Roman legion north to deal with the raiders once and for all. Not only will we fulfil our duty to our leaders, but it will also show our new recruits the face of war, giving them experience that no training could provide. Also while in the area I shall be well equipped to investigate if there is any truth in the rumours about an amassing horde of celts, and if needbe I can counter them.

Here is an approximate makeup of the largest of the groups sacking our towns:
    Men stationed throughout the hall give out small bits of parchment briefly explaining the type of enemy 'armies' that can be expected to be faced.
    Majority are swordsmen and speamen with about a third armed with bows.
    Their positions, whilst constantly changing, remain in the northern areas of regions of Etruria and Umbria
    Last edited by Nota'; August 03, 2011 at 09:50 PM.

Caius looks at the report and frowns. Although he is new he feels he must speak
    Senators, we must protect our northern borders and send a legion forth.
    If you've transcended your facticity, congratulations. You're 3 transcendences from HoS.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=11049066

Flavius didn't know what to think. He had supported war last time, when he was the Consul. Rome was not ready for yet another war, he thought.
    I say: Rome is not yet ready for this. I am against it, but i propably am against the odds here. You may wonder why the sudden change of mind: last time we were ready. Now we are not.
    He stood up and addressed every senator in the Curia.
    We also had 56,000 mnai after my campaign. Now we are bankrupt. Let me ask a question: where did the 56,000 mnai suddenly disappear?

Lord Slayer's Avatar Campidoctor

Servius listened to the Senator speak. He was too wondering what happen to the money. Had they spent that money already or did someone rob them of the money. As he listened questions began to appear in his thoughts. He wondered if someone robbed the senate of its money the Republic of its money that is for the people of Rome. He stood up to speak.

" Going to war with Gaul would bring us Mnai that we somehow lost. But without money in the Coffers we can not recruit a legion. Not unless you wish for the men to fight without Pay !, I do believe we need to defend our northern boarders but we need money to do so. Does any Senator have a idea on how we could raise money that we somehow lost ? . I would say raise taxes but I know everyone is opposed to that. So what else can we do ? "
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

The Roman Struggle, a Late Roman Republic RPG.

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Flavius smiled.
    We have to wait until the mines in Rhegion are ready and producing. Then the Republic will start producing money - and if not, there will be reason for total investigation.

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Where did the money go you ask Corvenus? Well maybe the money was spent rebuilding the Legion you destroyed... Ask the Quaestor for these details, but I think we must move our discussion on to more prevelent matters, legal matters in particular...

Flavius spoke with a balanced, calm voice, but behind it he was nervous.
    I agree with you, but would you let 56,000 mnai just pass by and not investigate what happened to them? But as i said, I agree with you. We should move to more pressing matters.

Lex De Re Barbari Impetum Umbria Et Etruria
    I. The roman legion go north and defeat any organised raiders in the northern areas of Umbria and Etruria
    II. The leading consul works to permanently prevent further raids on Italian territory from the celts.
    I put to the senate this motion to defend our northern borders. If money is a problem then we can wait but for every moment we waste our northern peoples face danger and hardship.
    If you've transcended your facticity, congratulations. You're 3 transcendences from HoS.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=11049066

Flavius rose.
    We have already captured Bononia, which was by the last intelligence reports i received as Consul their most important base of operations. They are looking for revenge. They do not expect a mighty attack from Rome so soon from the war, so this may even succeed. But which town should we capture? Attack where?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast