Thread: Choppy battle animations but smooth FPS?

Default Choppy battle animations but smooth FPS?

I just downloaded this mod because I'm a fan from previous total war games and wanted to give this one a go. However, during battle the animations become very choppy and distorted while the fps remains in the high 20's. This didnt happen in the vanilla version so I'm wondering if theres a quick fix to the mod. Thanks.

Mr Kami's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Choppy battle animations but smooth FPS?

That depens entirely on what settings you have enabled in the launcher?
    Retexture mod is a bit more straining on computers then vanilla.
    Then you have the larger unit sizes DarthMod offers and those are bound to lower your performance depending on what size you have choosen.
    Try lowering your unit size and/or disabling shadows that makes alot of difference.

I did try turning the shadows off and the textures down. No luck there. I have a very nice rig, everything ultra is usually pretty smooth for me unless things get really massive. I didnt try to disable the retexture mod, but I still dont think that would the cause of the problem...

So what about your unit size?
    If you rig cant handle "massive" fights on ultra unit size smoothly then its not gonna handle x2 unit size for example very smooth on the highest graphics settings.
    I have a monster rig and even i find that my fps can drop on x2 unit size with everything cranked up to max when alot is going on.
    But if you are using regular vanilla unit sizes then im not sure what the problem could be since the only thing in DarthMod thats taxing on computers are the larger unit sizes and to some extent the retexture/unit variety mods.

♔DARTH LEGO♔'s Avatar Vicarius

any luck here solving this gents...?

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

I have the same problem. Smooth moving through the battlefield but choppy animations. I think it's a combination of the 2x unit sizes and the game just not optimized right.

Yea x2 unit sizes are crap.
    Ruins performance messes with pathfinding siege battles are a nuissance on x2 and so on.
    I used to play on x2 then i lowered it to x1.5 since i found it way less straining on my rig but eventually i lowered it further to x1.25 and this is the best option i have found for unit sizes so far.
    As for the game not being optimized properly i agree i have never gotten it to run as it should on my rig,before the Dx11 patch is was even worse after it did get alot better but still with 8 gig of RAM a GTX 580 and a Phenom II x6 processor you would expect being able to play a game like this without any kind of performance drop at all.