Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Villa of Severus Vipsanius Cincinnatus "Magnus"

Default The Villa of Severus Vipsanius Cincinnatus "Magnus"

Welcome to the villa of the Cincinnatii, the home of Severus Vipsanius Cincinnatus.

Popularity with the people: 0 (good)
    Legion Loyalty Points: 7.5
    Patrician Points: 0

Biography:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Severus Cincinnatus, now aged 39, has spent the majority of his life operating his family's estates in and around Campania. Now that his father was deceased, Severus now stepped forward to serve the state as his father and grandfather had done. His talents lied in administrative tasks and organization. Long years managing slave estates had given him a knack for managing large operations.

Some years had passed since he had traveled to Rome. After serving in several minor magistracies, Severus was poised to seek higher office and bring greater renown to the Republic and his family. Now the owner of a modest villa in Rome and the father of a growing family, Severus looked to extend his influence even further in the government of Rome.

Severus understood that wealth from across the growing empire kept the markets in Rome flourishing. Further expansion deeper into the European continent would bring yet even more wealth towards the Italian peninsula.

Severus is a staunch Republican and despises all forms of corruption. He strives to be a perfect model of Republican values.

Family

Wife: Octavia

Children: Lucius (15), Cornelia (19)

Treasury:

Starting Income: 112,132

Expenditures:

End Treasury: 2,132

Assets:

4 Small Farm

2 Large Farm

1 Latifundium

75 Slaves
    • 300 applied to farms as labor

Merchant Fleet of Cincinnatus: 15 ships

Term 4

6 ships from Sicily importing Silver at 50 a ship. Rolled a ten. 3000

Term 5

Term 6

15*45*10=6750

term 7

5*40*4=800

Family Retainers:

Hostilius

Hostilius is an aged gladiator who, in reward for having survived his fights in the arena, as been reassigned as the personal bodyguard of Severus Cincinnatus. He is one of the most trusted servants of the household and is allowed weapons around his master. In accordance with Roman Law, this domestic servant will allow no harm to befall his master while he yet lives. Anyone trying to get to Severus will also have to get through Hostilius, a task easier said than done...

Clientes

Gaius Primus (auxiliary senator)

Primus is one of Severus' oldest clients, in fact he owes his position in the senate to Severus who supported his nomination in 63 BCE. Ideologically speaking Gaius and Severus see almost eye to eye, and while the latter is away the former intends to promote their common agenda.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; October 07, 2011 at 10:17 AM.

Default Re: The Villa of Severus Vipsanius Cincinnatus

Spirius Octavius Cilo calls on his old friend, Severus.. He speaks to some petitioners outside while he waits for a slave to inform his master

Hostilius appears amidst the clamor of the mid morning petitioners

Spurius, sir, come inside! My master will wait to talk to these, but of course you may enter as you will. May I offer you refreshment or perhaps a basin to wash?

"Some rosewater would be fine, Hostilius.."

He entered to find Severus near the courtyard, reclining,

"You have some rabid petitioners outside, my friend.. "

Severus was still tending to his cabbages when Spurius walked in

Yes, and they shall wait there until Jupiter descends in a fiery chariot and scares them all away with thunderbolts from his ears.

Hostilius appeared holding a small amphora aloft

What brings you here so far from dinnertime my friend?

"I find they begin to accumulate and instead deal with them daily.. Neighbours on the Palatine dislike the mob cluttering the roads."

He took a proffered cup, smelt it to ensure it had been diluted, Severus could be a hard drinker at times,

"I was bothering the Tribunes, they were trying to move a pillar near the forum... The only surviving original part of that building, so I protested today. I would hope they listened.. Did you see Caesar is in the ballot for pro consular provinces? Graecia I believe.."

OOC: Cato actually did that

I try not to concern myself with anyone except my direct opponents, as a rule. I have not bothered to look into Caesar.

Severus transplanted a cabbage to a larger pot

Does he look promising? Not another one of these populists I hope. They always come on wings and leave in pieces.

Praepositus
    Citizen

Fellow consul Decimus Pontius Artillius arrives at the Villa, his lictors opening up a route through the petitioners forcibly... Decimus thought that his fellow Consul should take care of them better, at his villa the Petitioners were kept at bay by the large shrubbery and gate surrounding the Villa.

Hostilius meets the consul at the door and welcomes him in. Severus was in the garden again, tending his cabbages.

Praepositus
    Citizen

Decimus, always a one to treat slaves fairly, as at least they weren't complaining plebs, thanked Hostilius, and walks through the gardens, admiring them. When he gets to Severus, he waits for the Consul to finish tending to his last cabbage, then talks.

"Greetings, Severus. I do hope that your cabbages aren't as bad as your petitioner infestation..."

Severus sighed

The sun has been hidden for too many days and my cabbages droop, would only the petitioners give me a moment of rest and silence. Alas, this is a lost cause.

What may I do for you today, Decimus?

Praepositus
    Citizen

Decimus, looking annoyed at the true statement, replies...

"They must learn when to give a man peace. Why, at Villa Artillius, the petitioners are only allowed a few hours of my day, and are otherwise kept from disrupting. But alas, there is nothing for your cabbages I am afraid. Perhaps Fortuna will better favor your other ventures."

"I come to you today, so that we may get to know each other as people, such that we are able to work together with ease in the Senate. Perhaps you might have somewhere where prying ears...

He looks meaningfully over at the crowds of petitioners...

"... cannot penetrate."

I have been meaning to contact you. We have been fortunate in that some radical elements of the senate have opted to take up proconsulships this year. It did not, however, deter them from fear-mongering their way to getting a proposal seconded to grant them extra powers. I am referring to Tiberius Caesar of course...

Praepositus
    Citizen

Decimus nods his head in agreement.

"Yes, he is one that will need watching, I was thoroughly opposed to that bill, though, for the pretence of loving them, we should probably let the plebs Tribune's veto it instead. I think that we are even on our view of Tiberius, what of the other Pro-Consuls. You noted that they are 'radical' to put it that way."

One clearly has Greek sympathies. This smacks of a certain disregard for Roman values. In any case I wouldn't leave my son alone with him in the apodyterium. If Caesar can be restricted there is no doubt he can put down the Cilicians. My main concern was the amount of support his motion received. It seems he has quite the client base.

Praepositus
    Citizen

"Indeed. Perhaps it would be prudent to befriend one of the Tribunes, after all, how long will we be able to keep him in check if the people love him and hate us for consistently blocking him?"

Perhaps not long. What do you make of the Gallic tribes' revolt? I am filled with disgust at the thought of those long-haired barbarians feasting on the spoils of Massilia.

Praepositus
    Citizen

Decimus visibly shudders at the thought.

"I will refrain from spitting upon your residence, for that would be most rude, but this is what I feel like doing at the thought. We must implore the Senate to take immediate action, both to defend our sovereignty, and to teach those filthy barbarians a lesson."

One or both of us of us will undoubtedly be appointed to lead the armies, but this leaves Rome vulnerable to the machinations of Caesar's bloc. My fear is that while we dismantle the Gallic threat a domestic unrest caused by the populist faction will rock the foundations of the Republic. Caesar went so far as to declare his judgment superior to that of the Senate when he demanded powers of imperium. Too many willingly agreed to instantly acquiesce for my comfort. This sort of mentality must be opposed wherever it crops up.

Praepositus
    Citizen

"We must find a solution to this. At least whilst he is in Greece, we may limit his power without instant reaction, and this may be easily handled by one Consul. But I agree, he was most reckless and arrogant to demand Imperium, perhaps our fellow magistrates can be gently coerced into this thinking."

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast