Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Curia, 50 BCE

Default Re: The Curia

Severus stood

Given what we know about the disposition of the enemy I would propose that I join our northern troops immediately and make preparations to lead them against the Gauls. Meanwhile, my colleague Consul Decimus, will maintain order in Rome. If we order the third Italian legion stationed in Brutium to begin marching north they should be in Gallia Cisalpina within four weeks (two days). This will increase our total strength in Gallia Cisalpina to three legions; enough to prosecute a campaign in Gallia Transalpina against the force arrayed before us.

I would also ask a member of the senate not otherwise occupied to copy these notes and write a letter of warning to be delivered to the proconsular palace in Hispania as soon as possible. Our Spanish holdings may be threatened, but it is too early to tell. I would prefer to have our Proconsul warned.

On the matter of a diplomatic mission to Egypt, I concur that Celatus would be an ideal candidate to treat with the Ptolemies. The opening of the port at Alexandria would indeed give our merchants opportunities to reap large profits.

The Stig's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I propose the following bill

l. All the legions currently in Spain and Italy be used to defeat the Gauls.
    ll. The commander of the force be will granted Imperium in the defense of Roman people and property.
    ll. If more Gauls join the attackers, additional troops will be raised.
    lV. A commander to be appointed to command the force.

EDIT:OOC: didn't see Ponti's post. Think of this post as a formalization.
    Last edited by The Stig; August 02, 2011 at 03:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Aliens
    Yes. The Stig is Jesus.
    People's Republic of Cascadia

Let us handle crises as they arrive. Too much pre-emptive planning will bury us in paperwork. It is my belief four legions will be enough to crush the Allobroges, I would caution against opening the floodgates of the treasury unless absolutely necessary. The outfitting of an additional legion would significantly reduce the Republic's expendable income.

"I could write the letter.."

"It was my view that the legion in Bruttium remain where it is. If we were to send it, then yes, more legions would be unnecessary.
    Yes. The Stig is Jesus.

"And at this time, we do not have the funds to raise an additional Legion. We must wait until the Annual taxes are retrieved in the first quarter of next year.

Also, I would be happy to be the envoy to the Ptolemies."

Very well, Cilo shall write the proconsul. Celatus, if you could draw up a formal motion I would gladly second it.

As for the northern war, I propose this bill...

Senatus Consultum: Bella Gallica

1. Consul Severus Cincinnatus shall take command of the I & II Italica in Gallia Cisalpina

2. The III Italica shall begin marching to Gallia Cisalpina to link up with the forces already there. (they will reach their destination on the 4th)

3. Consul Severus Cincinnatus shall be charged with the prosecution of the war against the Gallic confederation

Severus paused for a senator to second the motion or any opposition to be voiced
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; August 02, 2011 at 03:43 PM.

"Very well, I have amended the motion. I am in favor of sending Celatus to Egypt."
    Yes. The Stig is Jesus.

• Titus Felix Celatus, Qauestor and Senator of the Roman Republic, shall be dispatched as a Special Envoy to the Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt, ruled by Pharaoh Ptolemy XIII Theos Philopator.

• The Envoy shall attempt to open Egyptian Ports to Roman Trade, and increase relations between the Two Nations in order to protect Roman lands and trade.

• The Diplomatic mission will be conducted and concluded within the year.
    Last edited by Celsius; August 02, 2011 at 05:40 PM.

I second the quaestor's motion.

Lord Slayer's Avatar Campidoctor

Tribune Servius rose to his feet and nodded his head at the queastor " I rise in Support of both the Queastors motion and the Consul motion These will do well for the People of Rome ! "
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

The Roman Struggle, a Late Roman Republic RPG.

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

"I fully the support the Consul's motion as well."

Senatores! I have a law to propse. A law that will help the people who are the rightful rulers of the republic. The first of many laws that are the same I hope!

Gaius unrolled a parchment paper.

This is the Senatus Consultum Junia et Julia. This law was written by myself mostly and the Proconsul Tiberius Caesar as well. Here it is:

I. At least half of all workers on privately owned small farms must be Roman citizens.
    II. At least half of the workers on privately owned large farms must be Roman citizens.
    III. At least half the workers on privately owned latifundia must be Roman citizens.
    IV. A fine of 2,000 will be levied should the owner of the farm be found out to have over half of the labourers working it as slaves.

So you see this law will encourage jobs to be opened to the people of Rome! We must pass this law for the good of the republic and people of Rome!

(In Game effect: Senate gains 2 populist points, the cost of all farms are increased by half) -Pontifex Maximus
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; August 02, 2011 at 09:07 PM.

"The words "private farm" means something for a reason, Senator....?"

Okmin's Avatar In vino veritas

OOC: How do we hire citizens to work the farms?
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Under the patronage of The Lizard King
    Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Lord Slayer's Avatar Campidoctor

Tribune Servius rose to speak " I have a question for the Noble Senator. How are Private farms good for the Republic and the people of Rome ?. I do not think that a privately owned farm is good for the people of Rome. As they do not own these farms only the rich do. So please explain what you mean by privately own farms . Also explain why it matters of their are non Citizens working on the farms ?. We have slaves do we not ?. are you telling me that we should get rid of the Slaves because they are not Citizens of the republic ? "

Tribune Servius looked at the Queastor. " How much do you think this Proposal will cost the Republic ?. I am quite Curious as if it affects the people of Rome greatly. I will have to veto the motion on behalf of the people of Rome "
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

The Roman Struggle, a Late Roman Republic RPG.

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

"Unemployment at the moment is a non issue. People can find work throughout the Republic with ease. But if this were to pass, it is my believe that the owners of the Farms would cut their spending in the economy because they have to pay for labor, which is not always a bad thing. However, discontent among the Richest people in the Republic will be bad for us, and the People of Rome. Perhaps they will just close down the farms. Then what? No food would be produced, causing food prices to soar and we would have to rely heavily on Imported food. This is of course just my believe."
    Titus sat

Why should I hire Roman citizens when I have perfectly capable slaves? I withhold my support. A citizen of Rome is a privileged member of society eligible for much more honorable employment than working in the dirt with foreigners. This proposal degrades Roman citizenship.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; August 02, 2011 at 09:09 PM.

MuttonChops's Avatar Praepositus

The normally quiet Senator Numerius stood
    "The status quo works, I have not heard any demands from the plebs for such a radical reform. Therefore I must question the motives of this move. I ask that for the sake of preserving the Senate's focus over the threat of the Gauls that this proposal be withdrawn immediately!"

Discontent among the rich is bad for the people? Since when? It is my belief that this would cut poverty rates down by a great deal. Poverty is always trouble in the city and jobs have never been more hard to find. More and more slaves are simply used as labour leaving good citizens with no jobs. Is it worse to have citizens groveling in the mud or working on a farm? I will not withdraw the motion it makes complete sense. The people of Rome are not all rich and must sometimes work jobs that are less then the most honourable. Besides, what is dishonourable about farming? Cincinnatus was a farmer. The more land the rich buy the less jobs for the people of Rome.