Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Curia, 50 BCE

Default The Curia, 50 BCE

Magistrates:

Consules: Severus Vipsanius Cincinnatus et Decimus Pontius Artillius

Praetor: Spurius Octavius Cilo

Quaestores: Gaius Marius Aquila et Titus Felix Celatus

Tribunes: Servius Muncius Septimus et Lucius Primus Marcellinus

Proconsules: Tiberius Julius Caesar, Jason Antigonos, et Servius Quinctilius Scaeva

Senate-People Relationship Meter: -1 (Poor)

Random Roll: 17 (no event)

The session for the year 50 BCE has been called to order. Pressing matters of discussion include:

• The Cilician Revolt
    • The War in Southern Gaul
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; August 04, 2011 at 06:13 PM.

Default Re: The Curia

The newly elected Consul, Cincinnatus, entered the Senate House and took his seat curule seat and brought the session to order to await the arrival of the other newly appointed magistrates.

Lord Slayer's Avatar Campidoctor

The Newly elected Tribune of the people Servius entered the Senate house and looked around . He smiled at the senators and their servants and took a seat next to the newly elected Consul as he was one of the magistrates . Once seated he looked around once again and waited for the other Newly elected magistrates. to enter the curia. He was mostly waiting for the other Tribune and a chance to bring a motion to the Senators
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

The Roman Struggle, a Late Roman Republic RPG.

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Cincinnatus addressed the growing assembly through the clamor of the restless senators.

Conscript fathers, this year has already proven to be a difficult one. While we have tarried in the elections our enemies have seized the initiative and begun raiding our holdings in southern Gaul and Asia Minor. Allow me to provide details of each threat.

The Allobroges and their chief, Baleastric, have started to raid our spheres of influence in southern Gaul. Our citizens abroad have, by the intervention of Fortuna, escaped the destruction. Regardless of this Roman honor has been violated; our treaty and ports lay in ruins. We have received intelligence that the Allobroges are raising a large host to march on Gallia Cisalpina. We can only hope that more Gallic warlords will not be swayed by his rhetoric. We should begin to make preparations for war in the north immediately.

But this is not our only problem- The Cilicians have grown weary of paying their protection taxes and have rallied under a new leader; Seleukos. He has raised an army of 8,000 strong. As of right now we are unaware of the composition of his forces, but they are marching towards Lycia burning and pillaging as they will. As you are all aware many Roman merchants had set up residence on the of Asia Minor. Eye witness accounts confirm that these are being indiscriminately slaughtered, men, women and children. I will defer to our newly elected Governor, Tiberius Caesar, to request of us what he will and then depart to settle this threat.

Severus sat and waited for the debate to begin.

ArkocentoArisen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Jason Quietly observed as the Consul spoke before Standing to speak

Consult Cincinnatus do we have any idea of the numbers that the Allobroges raise to attack us?
    Look, Some words

Severus addressed the proconsul

Alas, Antigonos, we do not. I would estimate the tribe capable of raising 10,000 warriors from among their own a least. Whether or not they have convinced other tribes to join their venture or not cannot be said. They could have twice this number...

Servius listened to the consul and then rose to speak " Consul Cincinnatus how do you propose we fund the war against these Allobroges ?. How do you propose we get enough people to join the army to fight not only this war but possibly the Gauls and the Cilicians. These wars will cost the state much money. And I do not see how we can fund all three wars. Unless the Queastor can tell this body that we could fund all three wars. I will not support any motion that involves these wars and the funding of them. Unless I am sure that we can fund these wars and still have enough to take care of the Roman people with building temples and other infrastructure "

Servius before sitting spoke once again " Although the war with gaul is far from our mind. Their is no doubt they are a threat to us. But i urge this body not to rush to declare war on them just yet. "
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Titus stood
    "We currently have a strong income of 30,000 denarii. With less than 10 percent of it going to support our Legions overall. We can afford additional Legions if War came. The only question is if we want to raise more Legions or not."

We currently have six legions fielded. The senate is responsible for three of these and the proconsuls the other three. The prosecution of these wars may not require the raising of extra legions. I believe that until we know more about the enemy we should wait. Two legions currently defend the northern Italian border. These 12,000 men should be sufficient deterrent to launch an attack across the Alps...

Of course this makes me fear that Spain is vulnerable. With half the strength of the Italian legions and payment lagging, these troops are less than ideal. We should move quickly to dispatch the Proconsul of Spain with payment to these men to ensure their continued service.

Men, the fact of the matter is that we cannot predict the enemy's movements. It will take them some weeks to reach Spain, if that is their goal, but we cannot afford to be dormant waiting for their next move. The prosecution of this war should come from both fronts and this threat quickly crushed. If one of the consuls were to take command of our two northern legions and the proconsul of Spain his, both of these forces could meet and force the enemy into a battle advantageous to us. When these legions link up we will be able to field 18,000 men against whatever host the enemy can bring against us. Not even taking into account the superiority of our troops, this should provide an easy victory.

Jingo Eugene's Avatar Vicarius

Proconsul Servius Quinctilius makes his way into the Curia as the other men are debating, and makes a statement.

"If the Gauls want a war, then we shall give them one. However, I am a personal believer that the best way to protect Rome is to destroy Gaul.

I feel that a swift pre-emptive strike into Gallic lands and the subjugation of many barbaric Warchiefs will be enough to turn him around to defend his home, we could, in the process, earn much more land this way than just raising an army to defend the alps against the Gallic hordes, who are, by the way, strong in rocky terrain where Roman discipline is all but useless.
    Last edited by Jingo Eugene; August 01, 2011 at 09:33 PM.
    Jingo Eugene
    "A wise man in times of peace, will prepare for war. Peace is boring, and the wise man has nothing better to do with his time." -Anon

Tribune Servius stood " It is not the amount of men we have that worries me. It is how we can fund them and also fund everything else that we are in charge of. If we go to war and we lose the legions which can happen unless mars blesses our troops then we have to find a way to fund the wars which will require us to raise the taxes which I will not support at all. And Consul you may be right about the 12,000 men we have on the boarder. But that never stopped gaul from attacking before. Why would it stop them now ?. "

Servius looked around at the other senators" Noble Senators I urge you to support the war with those Cilicians since that is where we could make the most money if we free of the trade that they are currently have hostage. Once we free of the trade and the land of Cilicia is back under full Roman control. We will have the funds from the trade to support a war against Gauls. I also urge this body to make a trade agreement with Egypt as that will provide us with some additional income Which is good for us in the long Run. "

Servius turned towards the consul Cincinnatus once more" Consul which do you feel is the more threat to our standing in the world. The Rebellion in Cillcia or the Gauls ? . Which do you feel is the most problematic ?
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Both of these threats must be dealt with immediately, within the year, or they will become even bigger problems. I will still wait for the Governor of Greece to weigh in before proposing any spending measures.

I am of the opinion that we have sufficient forces already in play to counter all the forces set against us, it is just a matter of using them correctly. The I Adiutrix is already stationed outside of Athens. With some added Greek auxilaries the Governor could easily crush the Cilician brigands. The Allobroges will require more resources- three legions at least. These forces are already available to us.

Servius, do not delude yourself into thinking we are incapable of defending our borders simultaneously. Allowing raids into any of our territories is an intolerable offense and must be met with swift force...

Titus Spoke
    "Noble Tribune, money is not an issue at the moment. At this current time, we could afford the to keep 60 fully manned Legions stationed throughout the Republic. No taxes would have to be raised to even double our current Legions. As I said, money is not the problem, compromising on where to send our current Legions, and if we need to recruit more. We can handle both threats, without it hurting us financially. If anything, it would employ our men, and possibly bolster our economy with any new lands gained."

Okmin's Avatar In vino veritas

Gaius Marius had been silently listening to the debate.
    "I would like to point out to my fellow Quaestor that it would be prudent to keep some money in reserve should other issues arise."
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Under the patronage of The Lizard King
    Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

"I completely agree. I was just showing the Noble Tribune that we are more than capable of defending ourselves heavily without incurring an economic downturn."

As our Quaestor, honorable Titus, has indicated, the Republic is more than financially capable of funding both ventures at once. We just need to listen to the requests of the governors and consider what they have to say before we open the vaults.

If the defense of the territory and honor of the Republic, I would donate my entire personal fortune to levy troops to fight for the Senate. I do not take threats to our sovereignty lightly, but I am also not so weak a man not to stake my own welfare with that of my country. I am sure I speak for all of us.

Servius listened to the Senator speak " Noble Senator that is for this year alone. Can you assure this noble body that the money will be their next year and the year after if we can not defeat the enemy in one year ?. That is what worries me, I am worried that if these wars were to last more than one year how would we fund that ?. Would we have to pray to the gods that we can defeat the enemy in one year ?. Our men are the best we all know that. But still it worries me."

Servius turned his attention to his Friend Quaestor Gaius " Quaestor have you come up with the numbers for this year yet ?. How much money are we to make this year including the wars if they become wars ?. I am very curious about how much money we will have left over if we do indeed go to war. if we have enough i would like to bring a motion to the floor "

Servius turned his attention to the Consul " Indeed. I am very interested in what the governors have to say. "

Last edited by Lord Slayer; August 01, 2011 at 10:19 PM.
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Okmin's Avatar In vino veritas

"Currently we bring in 30,000 denarii per year and are spending just 2,500 to maintain our legions. As you can see, Tribune, we are in no trouble financially, even if we recruit dozens of additional legions."
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Under the patronage of The Lizard King
    Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Servius turned his attention to his Friend Quaestor Gaius " very well Quaestor. That was all i needed to know. My fears are gone as I know that the Republic is in good shape no matter how many legions we recruit. Therefor I wish to bring a motion up to this noble body. I do feel that it is time that we honor the gods by building temples to them in all our cities. But most importantly the frontier cities where our troops might see danger. I would also like in the same motion. That paved roads be constructed to all the major cities if they had not done so already. " Servius takes out a pachment with his motion and begins to speak again

" Here is the motion. Since we are not at war with anyone yet. I thought to bring up this motion before the debate over wars begin "

Motion 1
    Improvements be made to the temples of the gods. Jupiter, Mars, Juno, Venus
    Improvements be made to the roads that connect all the major cities of the Republic that are in peace
    " Noble senators feel free to add to the motion that i have spoken about. Quaestor can you tell me how much these improvements will cost the Republic ? "

Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Caesar stood, his black hair slicked back and his noble face pointed at his peers.

"Gentlemen, I have a proposal for this house. A proposal that will end the threat of Cilicia for good. The Adiutrix, plus my added men is enough to quell the forces that are arrayed against me at this time but I propose that I move further..."

He paused and then taking a step forward continued.

"It is not my belief that the Cilicians could have done this alone. Indeed, I believe that only one power could have funded this venture: I speak of Pontus and it's King, Mithridates. I have been informed by agents in Asia that the rebels, led by their false King, has the unofficial support of Mithridates. Surprise? As was I. But it is apparent. How could the rebels have financed themselves? As Pro-Consul I would be willing to help fund this venture, as I have already shown by raising my own troops. However, now I need assistance from the Senate and authorization to crush both the threat of Seleukos and his patron Mithridates. Thus I propose the following motion:

Lex Julia Imperia

I. That Pro-Consul Tiberius Julius Caesar be granted the funds to raise one further legion.
    II. That Pro-Consul Tiberius Julius Caesar be granted Imperium to move into Galatia and take the province into the borders of the Republic.
    III. That Pro-Consul Tiberius Julius Caesar be granted full authorization to initiate war against the Kingdom of Pontus should it resist against the movement into either Cilicia or Galatia.

If this bill is passed we will effectively destroy any possible Asian threat. A threat which, I assure you, is very real."
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast