Thread: Roughly 1 out of 8 hoplites actually uses his spear..

Default Roughly 1 out of 8 hoplites actually uses his spear..

Hear me out, this isn't the problem with switching weapons that a lot of players complain about as that is usually handled with another charge command...

My problem is that only the front rank of hoplites can actually attack during a melee and the result is that the almost the entire front rank will fight with their secondary weapon no matter what the player tries and although the rest of the unit continues to bear a spear the second rank is still out of reach of melee. Every 5-10 hoplites one guy will be fighting with his spear and the rest are out of reach. I have observed this over and over again as hoplites engage in melee combat with various types of infantry.

Is it intentional that the 2nd rank cannot reach through with spears as the first rank engages in swordplay? I want my hoplites to actually use their primary weapon but as of now it's just for show...

P.S. I love the mod!
    Last edited by Sarvoth; July 30, 2011 at 01:40 AM.

NightEye's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Roughly 1 out of 8 hoplites actually uses his spear..

It's more of an issue of the game engine itself and even if you extended the range of the spear the men in the second rank won't attack anyway because there's somebody in front of them.
    War... War never changes
    Made in Heaven
    Every time you think you've seen it all, life decides to toss several WTF moments at you all over again.

[RS 2.1a] Seleucid Unit Expansion V2

How is this done with phalanxes than? They attack 2 ranks deep, not 1 íf i'm correct..?

NightEye's Avatar Ordinarius

I think it's more of animation (i.e. the second rank not actually doing any damage) or they're the exception because they can only do it in phalanx mode.
    Last edited by NightEye; August 02, 2011 at 04:36 AM.
    War... War never changes
    Made in Heaven
    Every time you think you've seen it all, life decides to toss several WTF moments at you all over again.

[RS 2.1a] Seleucid Unit Expansion V2