Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diplomacy

Tiro

Default Diplomacy

Any tips of how not to be at war with all the neighbours? I find RTW and it's mods screwed as it's nearly impossibile to live peacefully coz AI declares wars even if their disastrous for it.
    Also how to make ceasefire cozI find it also impossible.
    To raise diplomats' influence I find also a difficult thing.

Default Re: Diplomacy

Quote Originally Posted by Zydrius View Post
    Any tips of how not to be at war with all the neighbours? I find RTW and it's mods screwed as it's nearly impossibile to live peacefully coz AI declares wars even if their disastrous for it.
    Also how to make ceasefire cozI find it also impossible.
    To raise diplomats' influence I find also a difficult thing.
    In the years that I have been playing RTW there is a constant that you must realize. THE AI IS STUPID no matter what you will always be at war with someone. EVEN if that enemy has one settlement and is 10,000 miles away it will declare war on you.

Just the way it is
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

If you're tired of AI's incredibly stupid diplomatic moves, use force diplomacy to fix it up somewhat. It is already included in the mod.
    On your PC, the units seem to perform quite poorly. I think there might be something nearby the PC that is causing this problem for you. You may need a mirror to find out what it is.

Sometimes you can calm your neighbors aggression by giving them a little bit of money every turn. I keep a constant flow of money going to the Cimbri to make sure they don't bother me and it works. It's been almost 100 turns and they haven't attacked me yet. Same goes for the Belgae, Boii, and Dacians. It may seem like a big expense (about 10,000 denarii) but it's worth to not have to spend even more or recruiting and retraining costs every turn through fighting countless battles. And as an added bonus it allows me to only focus on the Eastern Frontier. That way I don't have to worry about threats in the west. In fact, I have a strong mutual relationship with all the western nations.

MatrixStorm's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by likeriver View Post
    Sometimes you can calm your neighbors aggression by giving them a little bit of money every turn. I keep a constant flow of money going to the Cimbri to make sure they don't bother me and it works. It's been almost 100 turns and they haven't attacked me yet. Same goes for the Belgae, Boii, and Dacians. It may seem like a big expense (about 10,000 denarii) but it's worth to not have to spend even more or recruiting and retraining costs every turn through fighting countless battles. And as an added bonus it allows me to only focus on the Eastern Frontier. That way I don't have to worry about threats in the west. In fact, I have a strong mutual relationship with all the western nations.
    How much do you give them?

I tried this with Macedon as Dacia one on easy campaign difficulty.
    It worked very well with only 200/turn.
    However, in another campaign on M/M, they attacked me...
    Should I try to pay 1k/turn?

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixStorm View Post
    How much do you give them?

I tried this with Macedon as Dacia one on easy campaign difficulty.
    It worked very well with only 200/turn.
    However, in another campaign on M/M, they attacked me...
    Should I try to pay 1k/turn?
    yep pay money ,keep a heavy garrison on border ,alex exe seems to be possible to keep a border peace , bi engine seems more aggresive towards the player iv found

Quote Originally Posted by GRANTO View Post
    yep pay money ,keep a heavy garrison on border ,alex exe seems to be possible to keep a border peace , bi engine seems more aggresive towards the player iv found
    Do you also know the answer on my question?

I play RTW.exe. I keep a garrison of 5-6 full stacks along the Rhine. I payed generously to make the Cimbri an ally. I also pay them a tribute of 10000 (i think) every turn to keep them in line and they've stayed at peace for almost a century (every now and then they'll start a fight, but I'll crush the army and demand a ceasefire. They accept unconditionally without me even using force diplomacy. Then I make them my ally again. Once again, they accept without question). All they do is invade Boii and Dacian territory. What I really want is for them to fight with me against the Sarmatians, but so far they've refused.

Diplomacy is useless. Just go on an offensive or set up a costly border defense program. Just like the Romans did with a powerful enemy that won't quit.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Tiro

Thanx for tips . It looks I'll need to spend some money on diplomacy .

Btw, what is "forced diplomacy"? It works only for human player? How should I turn it on? In Preferences.txt or some way else?

Quote Originally Posted by chaplain118 View Post
    Diplomacy is useless. Just go on an offensive or set up a costly border defense program. Just like the Romans did with a powerful enemy that won't quit.
    Yaeh, I also like to build border garissons. I build forts alongside rivers, where they can be crossed. There is one bad spot alongside Rhine (or other river near it) where small village is in bad location and disallows to block the passage with fort completely.

Well cimbri when at war can be scared with having 2 full stacks of armies next to borber settlement, but if you move one of them away they always attack you as they gather full stacks near borders all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by likeriver View Post
    I play RTW.exe. I keep a garrison of 5-6 full stacks along the Rhine. I payed generously to make the Cimbri an ally. I also pay them a tribute of 10000 ...(
    why the would you do that???

Are you sure youre playing RTW?? And having 5-6 stacks just to "keep them in place"???

three letters:

WTF

"By what right does the wolf judge the lion?"

As you can see. Everyone knows the truth DIPLOMACY is pointless just invade and be happier for it

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by century x View Post
    As you can see. Everyone knows the truth DIPLOMACY is pointless just invade and be happier for it

Yes, I know that diplomacy is at least problematic ;P. That's why i hate CA for stupid games . Can't say that TW series is strategy, more likely dump fun series

Yes, I know that diplomacy is at least problematic ;P. That's why i hate CA for stupid games . Can't say that TW series is strategy, more likely dump fun series
    Well, it's sad but true...
    Although that ETW (with modification) has made a huge progress in terms of diplomacy.

Quote Originally Posted by lolzillaXD!!! View Post
    why the would you do that???

Are you sure youre playing RTW?? And having 5-6 stacks just to "keep them in place"???

three letters:

WTF

It's just for fun. If I wanted to I could crush the Cimbri in a heartbeat. But in fact it's actually pretty economical when you consider all the manpower, effort, and expense it would take to conquer the Cimbri, only to find my Roman borders right beside the second most powerful and aggressive nation in the game, the Sarmatians. I'm already struggling to fight the Sarmatians along the lower Danube as it is. I'd rather not get caught in bind dealing with other enemies right now.

Tiro

totaly agree with likeriver for his reasons. I wouls probalby stay with them too. Also I like to keep historical borders or borders which I like when playing rome or other factions. Conquering the whole map is a bit dump. And it makes fun fortifying borders and fighting invaders back and keeping them in their holes

But really, are sarmatians that powerful in RSII? Wow, I always like horse-archer based factions (hope in RSII their strengh lies in cavalry as well), maybe I should try playing them .

Domesticus

Conquer or be conquered!

Tiro

Conquer and perish!

johnnieangel's Avatar Tiro

@ likeriver- I agree. seems very advantageous to keep a "buffer" between you and a looming neighbor just north east of you for the sake of focusing on your economy and upkeep.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." John Stuart Mill
    English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Hahahah yup that should be there new slogan. For me it got to a point where I stopped recruiting diplomats cause I found them to be a waste of money. It was better putting that money into my War machine and invade every where. MUHAHAHAAHHAHHAHHAH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast