View Poll Results: Did the US commit a war crime by using the atomic bombs on Japan?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they commited a war crime.

40 38.46%
  • No, they didn't commit a war crime.

61 58.65%
  • Can't decide/other (please state)

3 2.88%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Was the use of atomic bombs on Japan by the US a war crime? [Azoth vs Halbard] Commentary Thread

Default Re: Was the use of atomic bombs on Japan by the US a war crime? [Azoth vs Halbard] Commentary Thread

History's written by the winner's, had the Germans won wouldn't they have put some people on trial on the allies side for war crimes? it's a matter of perception.

Both targets Hiroshima and Nagasaki were legit military targets despite having a civilian to military ratio of something like 3:2 ( could someone correct me on that not 100% sure) it was the correct military decision to make. The Japanese were also saved quite a few causalities as the,Nagasaki bombing, the 'fatman' was difficult because the pilot had to visually sight the target which meant he dropped it 3km away from where it was planned meaning the hills saved a portion of the city. (this was before, Geneva Convention)

And the term war-crime is quite unique and interesting it's almost oxymoronic and because we are viewing it from a time of peace our ethics are really applicable.

It wasn't a war crime it was the lesser of two evil's and the right choice to make in that situation.
    "It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." - Gaius Julius Caesar

"If I'd been born ugly, you'd never have heard of Pele."
    - George Best

"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one." - Marcus Porcius Cato

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Default Re: Was the use of atomic bombs on Japan by the US a war crime? [Azoth vs Halbard] Commentary Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Randompigeon View Post
    History's written by the winner's, had the Germans won wouldn't they have put some people on trial on the allies side for war crimes?
    An interesting interview with Leo Szilard,excerpt

"I think it made it very difficult for us to take the position after the war that we wanted to get rid of atomic bombs because it would be immoral to use them against the civilian population. We lost the moral argument with which, right after the war, we might have perhaps gotten rid of the bomb.

Let me say only this much to the moral issue involved: Suppose Germany had developed two bombs before we had any bombs. And suppose Germany had dropped one bomb, say, on Rochester and the other on Buffalo, and then having run out of bombs she would have lost the war. Can anyone doubt that we would then have defined the dropping of atomic bombs on cities as a war crime, and that we would have sentenced the Germans who were guilty of this crime to death at Nuremberg and hanged them?

But, again, don't misunderstand me. The only conclusion we can draw is that governments acting in a crisis are guided by questions of expediency, and moral considerations are given very little weight, and that America is no different from any other nation in this respect"

The full interview,

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Dr. Leo Szilard, 62, is a Hungarian-born physicist who helped persuade President Roosevelt to launch the A-bomb project and who had a major share in it. In 1945, however, he was a key figure among the scientists opposing use of the bomb. Later he turned to biophysics, and this year was awarded the Einstein medal for "outstanding achievement in natural sciences."

Q Dr. Szilard, what was your attitude in 1945 toward the question of dropping the atomic bomb on Japan?

A I opposed it with all my power, but I'm afraid not as effectively as I should have wished.

Q Did any other scientists feel the same way you did?

A Very many other scientists felt this way. This is particularly true of Oak Ridge and the Metallurgical Laboratory of the University of Chicago. I don't know how the scientists felt at Los Alamos.

Q At the Oak Ridge and Chicago branches of the A-bomb project, was there any division of opinion?

A I'll say this: Almost without exception, all the creative physicists had misgivings about the use of the bomb. I would not say the same about the chemists. The biologists felt very much as the physicists did.

Q When did your misgivings first arise?

A Well, I started to worry about the use of the bomb in the spring of '45. But misgivings about our way of conducting ourselves arose in Chicago when we first learned that we were using incendiary bombs on a large scale against the cities of Japan.

This, of course, was none of our responsibility. There was nothing we could do about it, but I do remember that my colleagues in the project were disturbed about it.

Q Did you have any knowledge of Secretary of War Stimson's concern at this time on the question of using the bomb?

A I knew that Mr. Stimson was a thoughtful man who gave the bomb serious consideration. He was one of the most thoughtful members of the Truman cabinet. However, I certainly have to take exception to the article Stimson wrote after Hiroshima in "Harper's Magazine." He wrote that a "demonstration" of the A-bomb was impossible because we had only two bombs. Had we staged a "demonstration" both bombs might have been duds and then we would have lost face.

Now, this argument is clearly invalid. It is quite true that at the time of Hiroshima we had only two bombs, but it would not have been necessary to wait for very long before we would have had several more.

Q Were you aware then of the attitude of Under Secretary of the Navy Ralph Bard or of the memorandum by Lewis L. Strauss?

A No.

Q So, in effect, there was no concerted opposition to military use of the bomb?

A No, there was none. You see, it would have been impossible for me to go and talk with Lewis Strauss because of the secrecy rules.

Q Do you feel that President Truman and those immediately below him gave full and conscientious study to all the alternatives to use of the atomic bomb?

A I do not think they did. They thought only in terms of our having to end the war by military means.

I don't think Japan would have surrendered unconditionally without the use of force. But there was no need to demand the unconditional surrender of Japan. If we had offered Japan the kind of peace treaty which we actually gave her, we could have had a negotiated peace.

Q In retrospect, do you think your views got a full hearing?

A Let me answer this by describing in detail just what kind of hearing my views got.

In March, 1945, I prepared a memorandum which was meant to be presented to President Roosevelt. This memorandum warned that the use of the bomb against the cities of Japan would start an atomic-arms race with Russia, and it raised the question whether avoiding such an arms race might not be more important than the short-term goal of knocking Japan out of the war. I was not certain that this memorandum would reach the President if I sent it "through channels." Therefore, I asked to see Mrs. Roosevelt, and I intended to transmit my memorandum through her - in a sealed envelope - to the President.

When Mrs. Roosevelt set the date for the interview which I had requested, I went to see Arthur H. Compton, who was in charge of the Chicago project. I rather expected him to object to the contents of my memorandum, and I was therefore much relieved when he told me that he hoped I would get the memorandum into the hands of the President and that it would receive the attention of the President. I then went back to my own office, and I hadn't been there for more than five minutes when there was a knock at the door and there stood Dr. Norman Hilberry. "We have just heard over the radio that President Roosevelt died," he said.

For a while I was at a loss to know how to bring my memorandum to President Truman's attention. I knew many people who knew Roosevelt, but President Truman didn't seem to move in the same circles. Then it occurred to me that we must have several men from Kansas City in the project and that some of these might know how to reach Truman.

When I was asked to go to the White House and see Matt Connelly, Truman's Appointments Secretary, I suggested to Walter Bartky, associate director of our project, that he accompany me. Mr. Connelly read my memorandum with attention. "I can see that this is serious business," he said. "Frankly, at first I was a little suspicious because this appointment came through Kansas City." He told us that the President had an inkling of what our business might be and that he wanted us to go to Spartanburg and see James Byrnes. We didn't know why we were sent to see Byrnes, since at that point Byrnes held no Government position. We were quite willing to go, of course, and we asked for permission to take [atomic scientist] H. C. Urey along. On May 27 we took the night train to Spartanburg.

Q What happened then?

A Having read the memorandum, the first thing that Byrnes told us was that General Groves [head of the Manhattan District, which developed the A-bomb] had informed him that Russia had no uranium. Of course, if Russia did not have any uranium then she would not be able to participate in an atomic-arms race, but to me this seemed to be an exceedingly unlikely assumption. It was conceivable that Russia might have no high-grade uranium-ore deposits - deposits of pitchblende. The only known pitchblende deposit within the control of Russia was the deposit in Czechoslovakia, and this was not believed to be very extensive. But I found it difficult to believe that within the vast expanse of Russia there should be no low-grade uranium-ore deposits which could be used to obtain uranium for the production of bombs.

When I saw Mr. Byrnes I was very much concerned about the fact that no governmental policy had been developed on the issue of how to cope with the problem that the bomb would pose to the world. I raised the question of whether it might be wise to gain time for developing such a governmental policy by postponing the testing of the bomb. It seemed to me that once the bomb had been tested its existence could not be kept secret for long. Byrnes did not think that postponing the test was a good idea, and, in retrospect, I am inclined to agree with him. In retrospect, I don't think that postponing the test would have solved our problem.

Byrnes was concerned about Russia's having taken over Poland, Rumania and Hungary, and so was I. Byrnes thought that the possession of the bomb by America would render the Russians more manageable in Europe. I failed to see how sitting on a stockpile of bombs, which in the circumstances we could not possibly use, would have this effect, and I thought it even conceivable that it would have just the opposite effect.

When I returned to Chicago and learned that Byrnes had been appointed Secretary of State, I concluded that the arguments that I regarded as important would receive no consideration. I didn't realize at that time that Secretary Stimson would play a major role in the final decision and that he might be able to understand my point of view better than Mr. Byrnes had done.

In Chicago I collaborated in the writing of the so-called Franck Report. This report was addressed to Secretary Stimson, but none of those who participated in the writing of the report, including Prof. James Franck, had an opportunity to see Mr. Stimson.

In the meantime I drafted a petition to the President which did not go into any considerations of expediency but opposed, on purely moral grounds, the use of atomic bombs against the cities of Japan. This petition was signed by about 60 members of the Chicago project. Some of those who signed insisted that the petition be transmitted to the President through "official channels." To this I reluctantly agreed. I was, at this point, mainly concerned that the members of the project had an opportunity to go on record on this issue, and I didn't think that the petition would be likely to have an effect on the course of events. The petition was sent to the President through official channels, and I should not be too surprised if it were discovered one of these days that it hadn't ever reached him.

Q Did you think then that the Russians probably were working on the bomb?

A I had no idea of this. The question before us was: Should we think in terms of America's having a long-term monopoly of the bomb after the war, or will Russia have the bomb before long also? I had no doubt that we would start an atomic-arms race if we used the bomb.

Q Would a demonstration have been feasible?

A It is easy to see, at least in retrospect, how an effective demonstration could have been staged. We could have communicated with Japan through regular diplomatic channels - say, through Switzerland - and explained to the Japanese that we didn't want to kill anybody, and therefore proposed that one city - say, Hiroshima - be evacuated. Then one single bomber would come and drop one single bomb.

But again, I don't believe this staging a demonstration was the real issue, and in a sense it is just as immoral to force a sudden ending of a war by threatening violence as by using violence. My point is that violence would not have been necessary if we had been willing to negotiate. After all, Japan was suing for peace.

Q Did you know that fully at the time?

A No. All I knew at that time was that we had won the war, that Japan had not the ghost of a chance of winning it and that she must know this. It did not matter just how far gone the Japanese were; if they knew they would not win the war, if they knew they would lose it in the end, that is all that matters.

Q Have your views on this subject changed at all since 1945?

A No, except that I can say much more clearly today what I was thinking at that time than I was able to say it at that time. Today I would put the whole emphasis on the mistake of insisting on unconditional surrender. Today I would say that the confusion arose from considering the fake alternatives of either having to invade Japan or of having to use the bomb against her cities.

Q Would most other nations, including Russia, have done the same thing we did, confronted with the same opportunity to use the bomb?

A Look, answering this question would be pure speculation. I can say this, however: By and large, governments are guided by considerations of expediency rather than by moral considerations. And this, I think, is a universal law of how governments act.

Prior to the war I had the illusion that up to a point the American Government was different. This illusion was gone after Hiroshima.

Perhaps you remember that in 1939 President Roosevelt warned the belligerents against using bombs against the inhabited cities, and this I thought was perfectly fitting and natural.

Then, during the war, without any explanation, we began to use incendiary bombs against the cities of Japan. This was disturbing to me and it was disturbing many of my friends.

Q Was that the end of the illusion?

A Yes, this was the end of the illusion. But, you see, there was still a difference between using incendiary bombs and using the new force of nature for purposes of destruction. There was still a further step taken here - atomic energy was something new.

I thought it would be very bad to set a precedent for using atomic energy for purposes of destruction. And I think that having done so we have greatly affected the postwar history.

Q In what way?

A I think it made it very difficult for us to take the position after the war that we wanted to get rid of atomic bombs because it would be immoral to use them against the civilian population. We lost the moral argument with which, right after the war, we might have perhaps gotten rid of the bomb.

Let me say only this much to the moral issue involved: Suppose Germany had developed two bombs before we had any bombs. And suppose Germany had dropped one bomb, say, on Rochester and the other on Buffalo, and then having run out of bombs she would have lost the war. Can anyone doubt that we would then have defined the dropping of atomic bombs on cities as a war crime, and that we would have sentenced the Germans who were guilty of this crime to death at Nuremberg and hanged them?

But, again, don't misunderstand me. The only conclusion we can draw is that governments acting in a crisis are guided by questions of expediency, and moral considerations are given very little weight, and that America is no different from any other nation in this respect.

Q How would the world of today have been different if we had not dropped the atomic bomb on Japan?

A I think, if we had not dropped the bomb on Hiroshima and instead demonstrated the bomb after the war, then, if we had really wanted to rid the world of atomic bombs, I think we could probably have done it.

Now, whether this would have led to a better world or not, I don't know. But it certainly would have been a world very different from the one we have now.

Q Do you think it would have avoided a nuclear-arms race?

A I think we could have avoided a nuclear-arms race, yes, but we might still have gotten into conflict with Russia - over other issues.

Q Would the Russians have developed the atomic and hydrogen bombs as quickly if we had not dropped the bomb? Do you think they hurried up their espionage and research after Hiroshima?

A They had no choice but to hurry up with developing their own bomb, since they would not want us to have the monopoly of the bomb.

Q Were the Russians aware of the work we were doing?

A Yes. This I did not know at the time. I would say, in retrospect, that not testing the bomb probably would not have gained us very much time.

Q Do you think that the "missile age" would have come as quickly without the atomic bomb?

A No, the long-range missile would be completely useless without a nuclear warhead, because they are too expensive as vehicles for carrying TNT.

Q What about the space age in general? Would that also have been put off into the indefinite future?

A I should think so.

Q Then was space exploration - missile, hydrogen bombs, all the rest of it - a natural outgrowth of the atomic bomb?

A I think so. But, you see, I'm in no hurry to get to Mars or Venus. I don't value the exploration of the solar system as much as maybe others do.

Q Do Americans have a guilt complex over the bomb?

A I wouldn't call it exactly a "guilt complex." But you remember perhaps John Hersey's "Hiroshima." It made a very great impression on America, but it did not in England. Why?

It was we who used the bomb and not the English. Somewhere, below the level of consciousness, we have a stake in the bomb, which the English don't have. Still, I wouldn't call it a "guilt complex."

Q Has this feeling, whatever it is, affected us in any material way?

A Great power imposes the obligation of exercising restraint, and we did not live up to this obligation. I think this affected many of the scientists in a subtle sense, and it diminished their desire to continue to work on the bomb.

Q Did Hiroshima affect our development of the hydrogen bomb?

A I should say it delayed it five years. I think, if we'd exercised restraint, many physicists would have continued to work on atomic energy after the war who did not.

Q Would a United States Government today, confronted with the same set of choices and approximately the same degree of military intelligence, reach a different decision as to using the first A-bomb?

A I think it depends on the person of the President. Truman did not understand what was involved. You can see that from the language he used. Truman announced the bombing of Hiroshima while he was at sea coming back from Potsdam, and his announcement contained the phrase - I quote from the New York "Times" of August 7, 1945: "We have spent 2 billion dollars on the greatest scientific gamble in history - and won."

To put the atomic bomb in terms of having gambled 2 billion dollars and having "won" offended my sense of proportions, and I concluded at that time that Truman did not understand at all what was involved.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

i can see but my statement before was kinda if Germany had won and their final act was to drop the atomic bomb to force the allies into submission would they see it as a war crime?

And i complete agree with you morality doesn't govern a decision in war it might feature but it's mainly irrelevant, War and morality (excuse the metaphor) are like oil and vinegar they don't mix they exist within a place that contains them both.
    "It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." - Gaius Julius Caesar

- George Best

"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one." - Marcus Porcius Cato

Citizen

Randompigeon
    War and morality (excuse the metaphor) are like oil and vinegar they don't mix they exist within a place that contains them both.
    Indeed

And i complete agree with you morality doesn't govern a decision in war
    Precisely

it was the lesser of two evil's
    The lesser of two evils, or Gibbon´s story of how /why Romans slaughtered defenseless "barbarians" in 395:

"The urgent consideration of the public safety may undoubtedly authorize the violation of every positive law. How far that or any other consideration may operate to dissolve the natural obligations of humanity and justice is a doctrine of which I still desire to remain ignorant"
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

I can see but my statement before was kinda if Germany had won and their final act was to drop the atomic bomb to force the allies into submission would they see it as a war crime?
    The bigger question is what would Germany have done post-war to the countries it had sucsessfully conquered?

Yours would be a more interesting question if the US hadn't invested enormous amounts of money and effort into turning both Japan and Germany into two of the most peaceful and prosperous nations in the post-war world. Granting future generations of Japanese and German citizens a comfortable and dignified life, not to mention the citizens of the countries liberated from axis control.

If the US had failed to do this, if it had mirrored the occupations conducted by Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia, then the US could be shamed by the strategies it used to end the war. But thankfully we are not in that situation, and are left only arguing the means and not the ends.
    Last edited by Sphere; August 15, 2011 at 10:48 AM.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    The bigger question is what would Germany have done post-war to the countries it had sucsessfully conquered?

Yours would be a more interesting question if the US hadn't invested enormous amounts of money and effort into turning both Japan and Germany into two of the most peaceful and prosperous nations in the post-war world. Granting future generations of Japanese and German citizens a comfortable and dignified life, not to mention the citizens of the countries liberated from axis control.

If the US had failed to do this, if it had mirrored the occupations conducted by Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia, then the US could be shamed by the strategies it used to end the war. But thankfully we are not in that situation, and are left only arguing the means and not the ends.
    That's the only reason America can be considered vindicated.
    That's a strange concept, isn't it, vindicated from mass-murder.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Himster you shouldn't single out just the atomic bomb's some of the stuff the Japanese did caused a hell of a lot more causalities in even more brutal way's -(look up rape of Nanking, hell just type in Japanese war crimes) the Americans fought fire with fire you can't blame them for wanting revenge after what the Japanese did. they did some bad . To their credit they treated the Japanese with quite some respect i know i wouldn't have been nice to em.

And no it's not a strange concept to be vindicated from mass-murder if a soldier kill's 100s he/she is not held as a criminal because it's war. to a certain degree in war the enemy is not actually considered human by said soldier as their training dehumanizes the enemy making them easier to kill. (theoretically)

Look up the Marshall Plan as it's how America pretty much saved Europe

PS I'm not American

- George Best

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Himster you shouldn't single out just the atomic bomb's some of the stuff the Japanese did caused a hell of a lot more causalities in even more brutal way's -(look up rape of Nanking, hell just type in Japanese war crimes) the Americans fought fire with fire you can't blame them for wanting revenge after what the Japanese did. they did some bad . To their credit they treated the Japanese with quite some respect i know i wouldn't have been nice to em.
    Agreed.

And no it's not a strange concept to be vindicated from mass-murder if a soldier kill's 100s he/she is not held as a criminal because it's war. to a certain degree in war the enemy is not actually considered human by said soldier as their training dehumanizes the enemy making them easier to kill. (theoretically)
    There were SS officers who killed hundreds and hundreds of people, their enemy was not considered human. Were they not criminals because it's war?

Look up the Marshall Plan as it's how America pretty much saved Europe

PS I'm not American
    That's exactly my point in my last post.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

That's exactly my point in my last post.
    i think you misunderstood they did the Marshall Plan not to make up for the Atomic bombs but to stop communism different reasons very different. America didn't feel guilty the did what was the correct action.

There were SS officers who killed hundreds and hundreds of people, their enemy was not considered human. Were they not criminals because it's war?
    Theirs a big difference between killing unarmed civilians and soldiers. And soldiers don't consider (from my limited experience around them) the person they are killing is not human, in the back of their mind they know they are, but to kill one they have to make themselves seem to believe they are not, something which the SS didn't THEY BELIEVED who they were killing weren't human.
    That's the difference the SS believed the they killing people who weren't human, soldiers dehumanize their enemy to kill them, they still know their human.

Theirs a poem that sums it up what i mean about soldier's dehumanizing their enemy, it's called The Man he Killed it's quite short worth reading (read the notes underneath they do it in modern English)
    here's a link: http://allpoetry.com/poem/8442929-Th...y-Thomas_Hardy

- George Best

If the americans didn't use atomic bombs the war would have been continued probably for another year with an amount of casualties as big (or bigger than) as the amount of people that died from those two atomic bombs.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

i think you misunderstood they did the Marshall Plan not to make up for the Atomic bombs but to stop communism different reasons very different. America didn't feel guilty the did what was the correct action.
    The reason for the kind action isn't neccessary, the fact of the matter is that it was done, the axis powers nor the soviet union would not have been as kind.

Most Americans I know feel the appropriate guilt, not much guilt, but certainly some. It'd take a full blown psychopath to feel no empathy for a burnig child. Thankfully most americans are not psychopaths, but this thread has caused me to doubt this fact.

But it seems people here are making it a numbers game, how fun, I love games.

Consider this scenario: Suppose there is a person who needs a heart transplant, another who needs a kidney transplant, and another who needs a liver transplant. Why not take a person off the street and shoot him, then take his organs and use them to save the lives of the three people? You have killed one to save three. That is the numbers game. And it is utterly repugnant.

Theirs a big difference between killing unarmed civilians and soldiers.
    Wait, so you're against targeting civillians?

And soldiers don't consider (from my limited experience around them) the person they are killing is not human, in the back of their mind they know they are, but to kill one they have to make themselves seem to believe they are not, something which the SS didn't THEY BELIEVED who they were killing weren't human.
    That's the difference the SS believed the they killing people who weren't human, soldiers dehumanize their enemy to kill them, they still know their human.
    Riiiiiiigghht.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Theirs a poem that sums it up what i mean about soldier's dehumanizing their enemy, it's called The Man he Killed it's quite short worth reading (read the notes underneath they do it in modern English)
    here's a link: http://allpoetry.com/poem/8442929-The_Man_He_Killed-by-Thomas_Hardy
    He didn't dehumanise his enemy, the poem focusses on the sensless inhumanity of war, the exact opposite of dehumanising an enemy. The "although" in the last stanza is a clear attempt to convey his unease of what he has done.
    -Betrand Russell

That is the numbers game. And it is utterly repugnant.
    That's war you play the numbers game war aint nice stop acting like it should be. let me give you a better scenario.
    If your brother needed a kidney, your mum a heart and you sister a liver would you kill a murderer and use his organs. Yes because you view the fact that the lives of your family are more valuable. Just like America viewed their soldiers as more valuable than the Japanese. which is something all countries view especially during total war which WW2 was.
    And if i was American i would feel not guilt for what happened because it was the right action to take for so many reasons, if you want a list look at this forum but here's a few

• Saved more lives
    • Japanese needed to be forgive the Patton quote "grabbed by the nose and kicked in the balls" they weren't gonna surrender
    • The bombs meant they saw the power so they wouldn't use them unless they were attacked first

Riiiiiiigghht.
    wrong end of the stick i was comparing the SS to a soldier now, not the Americans soldiers at the time. You also don't realize the reason the pictures are used to help dehumanize the Japanese among other things to make it easier to hate them making the war easier. you are viewing it from a time where morals matter not where in war morality doesn't (see metaphor a few posts up)

Wait, so you're against targeting civillians?
    As i said before if they area in an area of legit military target (like the atomic bombs) and they get caught in the blast then they die that's the reality of war. But both atomic bombs were not dropped on cities to kill civilian population. Look up SS death heads that is what i mean by targeting civilians.
    Last edited by Randompigeon; August 16, 2011 at 06:36 AM.

- George Best

Himster's Avatar Praeses

That's war you play the numbers game war aint nice stop acting like it should be. let me give you a better scenario.
    If your brother needed a kidney, your mum a heart and you sister a liver would you kill a murderer and use his organs. Yes because you view the fact that the lives of your family are more valuable. Just like America viewed their soldiers as more valuable than the Japanese. which is something all countries view especially during total war which WW2 was.

Kill a murderer? That's not an accurate analogy. Would I kill an innocent child to save my brothers and sisters would be a more accurate analogy. That is the most repungnant aspect (to me) of the whole use of bombing and terror tactics: the murder of inncoent japanese children, to save American soldiers: how valiant.

And if i was American i would feel not guilt for what happened because it was the right action to take for so many reasons, if you want a list look at this forum but here's a few

• Saved more lives
    • Japanese needed to be forgive the Patton quote "grabbed by the nose and kicked in the balls" they weren't gonna surrender
    • The bombs meant they saw the power so they wouldn't use them unless they were attacked first
    Charming.

wrong end of the stick i was comparing the SS to a soldier now, not the Americans soldiers at the time. You also don't realize the reason the pictures are used to help dehumanize the Japanese among other things to make it easier to hate them making the war easier. you are viewing it from a time where morals matter not where in war morality doesn't (see metaphor a few posts up)

As i said before if they area in an area of legit military target (like the atomic bombs) and they get caught in the blast then they die that's the reality of war. But both atomic bombs were not dropped on cities to kill civilian population. Look up SS death heads that is what i mean by targeting civilians.
    Why do you think the nazis killed Jews? They were protecting themselves, in their eyes the jews were their enemy and were legitimate military targets.

What's the difference between killing a child with a bomb and killing a child with gas?
    Last edited by Himster; August 16, 2011 at 08:06 AM.
    -Betrand Russell

They did'nt deliberately murder anyone each person in those bombings could have escaped as the Americans did a bombing run of leaflets saying they would drop it, their deaths was their own indecision to stay. to use a metaphor, the Japanese in those cities made their bed the Americans just made them lie in it AKA they were warned they ignored it they died.

most repungnant aspect (to me)
    Fine, but the fact remains they drop the bomb it was the correct decision (in my opinion). And be honest with me for a minute, if you had to kill an innocent man to save your father would you? And in response to your comment
    how valiant.
    this inst a Hollywood movie, to Truman American soldiers are worth more than Japanese and to be honest after what they did to people I don't blame him for having that view it takes a very strong person to forgive and forget what the Japanese have done.

Charming.
    Reality is blunt

How did i know you would bring up the holocaust, how in can it be said that the Jew's were a military target please explain. And to respond to your whats the difference it that the Jew's were not a military target AKA they were not gonna kill anyone, they weren't contributing to any war effort so how tell me can you consider them a military target? The Nazi's weren't protecting themselves Hitler used them as a scapegoat for the treaty of Versailles (the politicians being controlled by them) and Germany's economic problems.

To answer your question in a better manner, if you warn a child not to do something and they do it do you not punish them?
    Last edited by Randompigeon; August 16, 2011 at 09:34 AM.

- George Best

Himster's Avatar Praeses

They did'nt deliberately murder anyone each person in those bombings could have escaped as the Americans did a bombing run of leaflets saying they would drop it, their deaths was their own indecision to stay. to use a metaphor, the Japanese in those cities made their bed the Americans just made them lie in it AKA they were warned they ignored it they died.
    The people of Nagasaki were convinced by their christian faith that they were spared (up until that point) becuase of their shared faith with the Americans, infact children were sent to nagasaki for safety as were valuable Korean slave workers, there were many Malaysian students on scholarships there (including my uncle's father). America knew they wouldn't leave: the intention was to kill as many civilians as possible and sow as much terror as possible.
    Hiroshima at least did have a significant industrial center.

Besides, these were japanese people: odd people.

It is interesting that the confiscated 90,000 foot of film of the result is still censored by the American government.

Fine, but the fact remains they drop the bomb it was the correct decision (in my opinion). And be honest with me for a minute, if you had to kill an innocent man to save your father would you?
    I have to honestly admit: I don't know, I cannot seriously comprehend such a horrifying dilema.
    And in response to your comment this inst a Hollywood movie, to Truman American soldiers are worth more than Japanese and to be honest after what they did to people I don't blame him for having that view it takes a very strong person to forgive and forget what the Japanese have done.
    So the punishment for japanese scientists performing vivisections on prisoners and her soldiers fighting for (misguided) honour is to cook alive their children with radiation and mutilate their childrens' children? Interesting sense of justice and a sick sense of vengence.

Reality is blunt
    Evidently.

How did i know you would bring up the holocaust, how in can it be said that the Jew's were a military target please explain. And to respond to your whats the difference it that the Jew's were not a military target AKA they were not gonna kill anyone, they weren't contributing to any war effort so how tell me can you consider them a military target? The Nazi's weren't protecting themselves Hitler used them as a scapegoat for the treaty of Versailles (the politicians being controlled by them) and Germany's economic problems.
    Scapegoat is an excellent choice of words.

To answer your question in a better manner, if you warn a child not to do something and they do it do you not punish them?
    The jews were told to leave Germany too, it's a funny analogy you're drawing.
    To answer your question, yes I do dicipline children, but no, I don't use explosives for matters of disobedience.
    -Betrand Russell

I'm sorry to have to say this but

The people of Nagasaki were convinced by their christian faith that they were spared (up until that point) becuase of their shared faith with the Americans, infact children were sent to nagasaki for safety as were valuable Korean slave workers, there were many Malaysian students on scholarships there (including my uncle's father). America knew they wouldn't leave: the intention was to kill as many civilians as possible and sow as much terror as possible.
    Hiroshima at least did have a significant industrial center.
    Is pretty much useless, both were legit military targets no matter how you argue they both were, Nagasaki was a sea port with lots of military industry, ordnance, ships etc so no it wasn't kill as many as we can. And if they think a shared religion would save them then they are even more deluded than i thought. They were warned they didn't leave they died, cold hard truth. Your claim of terror is misguided as the Americans only used the weapon because the Japanese refused to surrender.

So the punishment for japanese scientists performing vivisections on prisoners and her soldiers fighting for (misguided) honour is to cook alive their children with radiation and mutilate their childrens' children? Interesting sense of justice and a sick sense of vengence.
    never said it was a punishment i said it was an opinion held by truman which is a factor which led to the bombing. And i think your quite niiave, justice and vengeance dont happen in a fairytale manner justice doesn't really happen much in the UK you get very light sentences. And civilians die in war their is no war past, present or future that wont cause civilian deaths. And their misguided honor, Perhaps they should better learn the meaning of Honor instead of blindly following a principle without understanding it.

Scapegoat is an excellent choice of words
    explain, because it is acknowledged that Jews were used as a scapegoat, in medieval time just as in Nazi Germany. And you ingored my question please answer. how can you claim that the Jews were a military target?

The jews were told to leave Germany too,
    They tried too. but they couldn't. (the SS deaths head was on the eastern front to kill jews once the German army had moved on)

yes I do dicipline children, but no, I don't use explosives for matters of disobedience.
    Again children die in war, it is war. How about the American children who never saw their fathers, or vica versa? or the British children who never saw their fathers back from Burma? The Japanese war crimes are numerous and brutal, too numerous for any war.

One question how would you have ended the war? with less deaths and no war in the forseeable future?

- George Best

Halbard's Avatar Campidoctor

I'm sorry to have to say this but

Is pretty much useless, both were legit military targets no matter how you argue they both were, Nagasaki was a sea port with lots of military industry, ordnance, ships etc so no it wasn't kill as many as we can. And if they think a shared religion would save them then they are even more deluded than i thought. They were warned they didn't leave they died, cold hard truth. Your claim of terror is misguided as the Americans only used the weapon because the Japanese refused to surrender.

never said it was a punishment i said it was an opinion held by truman which is a factor which led to the bombing. And i think your quite niiave, justice and vengeance dont happen in a fairytale manner justice doesn't really happen much in the UK you get very light sentences. And civilians die in war their is no war past, present or future that wont cause civilian deaths. And their misguided honor, Perhaps they should better learn the meaning of Honor instead of blindly following a principle without understanding it.

Again children die in war, it is war. How about the American children who never saw their fathers, or vica versa? or the British children who never saw their fathers back from Burma? The Japanese war crimes are numerous and brutal, too numerous for any war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_...#United_States

Or this one, one of my favorites

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...anese_war_dead

The US troops were also savage animals. The only country that had reasonably civilised armies was the UK, and even then, they were far too prone to torture than they should be.

That underlined paragraph was kind of a fail.There is a difference between killing a children's father in combat and dropping a bomb that kills everything on a 2km radius instantly, and causes incredibly severe long-term damage to hundreds of thousands of people.

The use of this weapon was indiscriminate killing. No concern whatsoever for civilian safety. In my opinion, and of most jurists, is that it was, in fact a war crime.

And if the US were after a military target, they would have used conventional bombs. More precise, and much less collateral damage.
    What makes a real American? A cowboy hat? Enjoying a fine T-bone
    steak? Going to a baseball game? Shooting a gun? Maybe it’s the freedom to go
    into a poor country and tell them how to do things?! Heh! Those are all great
    qualities! But one thing that makes a true patriot is the ability to choose
    an American car! When you buy an import you take a hot meal off a hard
    working American’s table. There, there! This poor girl is going
    to starve to death, just because you bought a cheaper, more efficient
    Maibazu. Without gross symbols of excess, what will Americans have to look up
    to? Our great industries is a threaten! Cars, pornography, armaments! And
    they need your help! So the next time you buy a car, a piece of adult
    literature or a missile defense system! Make sure you do the American thing!

I never said the Americans were perfect just that the Japanese were worse, "reap what you sow", all nations during a total war (it's own type of warfare), in this case WW2 do terrible things, that's the nature of war, it takes a normal human and turns into something else.

There is a difference between killing a children's father in combat and dropping a bomb that kills everything on a 2km radius instantly, and causes incredibly severe long-term damage to hundreds of thousands of people.
    Killing a father has effect's you can't understand until you have experienced it, and it has a giant effect of you, your life, past, present and future. What about the long-term damage done by the Japanese? is that not severe too? what they did to the Chinese?, the Koreans?. Why is the Japanese's suffering more important than anyone else's?

The use of this weapon was indiscriminate killing
    This is wrong , they were both legit military targets. They weren't targeted to kill civilians, they were legit military targets.
    Edit:On wiki look up total war, i quote "separate class of warfare, in a total war, there is less differentiation between combatants and civilians..... nearly every human resource, civilians and soldiers alike, can be considered to be part of the belligerent effort"

Hiroshima
    :Industrial and military significance, it was a supply and logistics base for the Japanese military, a communications center, a storage point and an assembly area for troops
    Nagasaki:One of the largest sea port's with major industry like ordnance, ship and military equipment production. Also had the key Mitsubishi steel and arms works.

If those aren't military targets then what are?

And as stated before the Japanese were warned, bombing runs of leaflets before each bombing.

they would have used conventional bombs. More precise, and much less collateral damage.
    You have a bomb which can destroy a 2km radius hit the center on the industrial area, boom all done, with this powerful a weapon you don't need to be precise. no losses on your side, no planes lost, little time spent bothering about planning it and more cost-effective. It was just more efficient. Less collateral damage? maybe but after 3 longs years of war you don't care anymore about your enemy. (and yes i have seen the pictures of each bomb)

How could have the war been ended in a better way?Honestly i can't see a better way
    Last edited by Randompigeon; August 17, 2011 at 10:10 AM.

- George Best

Citizen

They weren't targeted to kill civilians,
    "collateral damage". In fact, in 1994, the U.S. Postal Service somehow thought it would be a great idea to issue mushroom cloud stamps to honor the 50th anniversary of the end of WWII.

How could have the war been ended in a better way?
    Why were some US military commanders against using atomic bombs on Japan?
    Last edited by Ludicus; August 17, 2011 at 12:04 PM.
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

Why were some US military commanders against using atomic bombs on Japan?
    Because they thought it would be of no assistance and that Japan had been seeking to talk to the US through neutral countries (Need to look up the countries) about peace, don't perceive this to be good they would if it had been achieved Japan would have kept all conquered territories. Every general has their own opinion but i doubt the ones alive now could argue that it didn't help the war.

Edit: generals against it Dwight Eisenhower
    Douglas MacArthur-was NOT "ferociously opposed to the use of Atomic bombs against Japan"
    Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

U.S. Postal Service somehow thought it would be a great idea to issue mushroom cloud stamps
    So... people need to get over the past, what is done is done it can never be undone.
    yeah it was a bit harsh but they have freedom of press they can publish what they want no matter what offense it causes, freedom of press is a principle of democracy.

So those who say the Bombings was a war crime answer me this so i might understand your view
    How could have the war been ended with less causalities and not another war in the foreseeable future? because honestly i really can't see any.
    Last edited by Randompigeon; August 17, 2011 at 12:28 PM.

- George Best