Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 164156575859606162636465666768 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 1353

Thread: Champions League Thread 2011

Default Re: Champions League Thread 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Everything's Dandy View Post
    People just see CHelsea as a plastic, souless, club with loveable people like John Terry, Ashley Cole and Didier Drogbar. No matter how hard they try, I don't think any club actually sees them as a 'rival'. They're just... there.
    Excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_K_1 View Post
    They tried to protest in Glasgow and someone was raped at their camp. Moral of the story is children: do not camp overnight in Glasgow City Centre.
    Post of The Year 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ima Farmathar View Post
    knowing what is about to happen I whisper in her ear,
    “do you know what makes us different from other animals?, We follow our prey, a lion or a tiger gets bored and follows something else, we persist” -------------------------------------------------------------------
    yhea i once did that, to a girl in higschool, i pressured her until she agreed to go sailing in a 10 ft baue, but she almost drowned so i no longer try that

Treva ★'s Avatar Primicerius

And yet the sods managed to win the European Cup when clubs with far better teams, more consistent followings, larger fanbases, sustainable development models, and a history have failed to win it or, like Celtic, have only won it once.
    The tentacled horror from beyond my stars spoke, and von Neumann help me, in my madness, I understood its words.
    СИНДИКАТ!
    Dè a tha Montrose Mór ag ràdh?
    Heavy Metal will never die. - Sir Christopher Frank Carrandini Lee.

Erebus Pasha's Avatar vezir-i âzam

I think it's a bit pointless arguing that Chelsea have no history because, as I recall some hack pointing out, they won a European trophy before Liverpool did. Granted it was the Cup-Winners Cup but those were the days when it was taken seriously (Chelsea beat Real Madrid in the final). They would've been the first entrants in the European Cup too but the FA prevented their entry (Chelsea were league champions in 1955).

www.ottomanhistorypodcast.com/
    Under the patronage of the Noble Savage.

pchalk's Avatar Domesticus

i think its great when a club comes out of no where and does well even if it is because of a billionaire investor. in that regard, chelsea's history doesnt bother me. but i do dislike them for some of the other reasons mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus Pasha View Post
    I think it's a bit pointless arguing that Chelsea have no history because, as I recall some hack pointing out, they won a European trophy before Liverpool did. Granted it was the Cup-Winners Cup but those were the days when it was taken seriously (Chelsea beat Real Madrid in the final). They would've been the first entrants in the European Cup too but the FA prevented their entry (Chelsea were league champions in 1955).
    Bob Paisley, in 9 seasons, has three less major honours than Chelsea in their entire existence.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

From my own experience, the only team 'hated' by more people than the Red Mancs is Liverpool. People just see CHelsea as a plastic, souless, club with loveable people like John Terry, Ashley Cole and Didier Drogbar. No matter how hard they try, I don't think any club actually sees them as a 'rival'. They're just... there.

I most definitely see them as a rival. After Everton and Man U, it is games against Chelsea that I am always the most excited about, and the atmosphere at games reflects that.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Quote Originally Posted by Azog 150 View Post
    I most definitely see them as a rival. After Everton and Man U, it is games against Chelsea that I am always the most excited about, and the atmosphere at games reflects that.
    Unless it's at Stamford Bridge, then the atmosphere is crap.

I don't get excited about playing Chelsea, I enjoy it because we usually beat them, and most people I know (from various clubs too) don't see them as a major rival. I don't check the fixture list looking for Chelsea. I don't say, on FA Cup draw day, "Hope we get Chelsea". They're just a club which we fight for league places with, well used to anyway. They're league rivals but they aren't natural rivals, for me. The only rivalry I ever saw with Chelsea was when Mourinho was there, but even that was more Rafa v Mourinho IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus Pasha View Post
    Everyone has a history.

By the way, the CL final was viewed by fewer in England than the FA Cup was. Slightly strange, isn't it?
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

=Bright='s Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Ishoss View Post
    By the way, the CL final was viewed by fewer in England than the FA Cup was. Slightly strange, isn't it?
    Well, it combined two things the english hate: Chelsea and germans.

Quote Originally Posted by =Bright= View Post
    Well, it combined two things the english hate: Chelsea and germans.
    Bah. Only non-football fans would 'hate' the Germans. Bayern, Dortmund, Schalke, M'gladbach (majority of the time anyway) and the national team are all ace to watch!

But, yeah, Chelsea would put most off. Crap football and a whole host of insufferable eejits.

You know I was joking with stereotypes, right?

Anyways, still almost 3 months to go and I'm already excited as about who's gonna face Udinese in the CL qualifiers.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Bah. Only non-football fans would 'hate' the Germans. Bayern, Dortmund, Schalke, M'gladbach (majority of the time anyway) and the national team are all ace to watch!

Not to mention that the German system of requiring a significant portion of fan ownership is something I (and I am sure most other footy fans) find very admirable indeed. I dare anyone to look at ticket prices in German football and not be jealous.
    Last edited by Azog 150; May 25, 2012 at 01:00 PM.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Quote Originally Posted by Azog 150 View Post
    Not to mention that the German system of requiring fans to own at least 40% of the shares in their club is something I (and I am sure most other footy fans) find very admirable indeed.
    This rule is not applied to all clubs, though. Wolfsburg and Leverkusen for example are 100% owned by the Volkswagen AG and the Bayer AG respectively.

You're right about the ticket prices. If the prices were the same as in Italy I doubt there'd be any sold-out stadiums.
    Last edited by =Bright=; May 25, 2012 at 01:10 PM.

This rule is not adapted to all clubs, though. Wolfsburg and Leverkusen for example are 100% owned by the Volkswagen AG and the Bayer AG respectively.

You're right about the ticket prices. If the prices were the same as in Italy I doubt there'd be any sold-out stadiums.
    They (at least Leverkusen) started out as the company's club though, right?
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

You know I was joking with stereotypes, right?
    Aye. I hear enough people say Club football outside of the Prem is crap/boring, so thought I'd put that out there anyway.

all this gelatinous hate.

all im going to say is.. lol carling cup.
    lol europa league
    Last edited by snuggans; May 25, 2012 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    all im going to say is.. lol carling cup.
    Out of the all the things you could 'lol' at in regards to Liverpool, it's winning a trophy? You can do better than that.

it's not a trophy. it's the carling cup.

Which, last time I checked, was a major domestic honour.

Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    it's not a trophy. it's the carling cup.
    It's all right Snuggans, Chelsea can have their five seconds of fame. Chelsea is the Jordan of the football world.

Bill Shankly