View Poll Results: Should we change Serbian flag?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, chage it to Nemanjić CoA and Red-Blue Flag

38 55.88%
  • No, leave Red Eagle on Yellow background as both Flag and CoA

30 44.12%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changing Serbian Flag

Ampra's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Changing Serbian Flag

One of possible solution for Serbian flags :

So there are colors of red and blue like Ragusa letters are talking about plus there is yellow ( color of Stefan Decanski and Dusan ) with Nemanjic COA in middle !

What do you think guys ?
    "At first we were confused. The East thought that we were West, while the West considered us to be East. Some of us misunderstood our place in the clash of currents, so they cried that we belong to neither side- and others that we belong exclusively to one side or the other. But I tell you, Irenaeus, we are doomed by fate to be the East in the West and the West in the East, to acknowledge only heavenly Jerusalem beyond us, and here on earth--no one." - St. Sava (of Serbia) to Irenaeus, 13th century

DobroVece's Avatar Senator

rep for the elements, but it's a made up flag, right?

Ampra's Avatar Centenarius

Yes , it is ! I showed up flags from that time . And if we would be strict we would put yellow ones . But there are some indications about red and blue flags in our ranks as i mention in my previous post !

So I came on this solution if you guys like it !
    "At first we were confused. The East thought that we were West, while the West considered us to be East. Some of us misunderstood our place in the clash of currents, so they cried that we belong to neither side- and others that we belong exclusively to one side or the other. But I tell you, Irenaeus, we are doomed by fate to be the East in the West and the West in the East, to acknowledge only heavenly Jerusalem beyond us, and here on earth--no one." - St. Sava (of Serbia) to Irenaeus, 13th century

Good work composing that flag, Ampra. Still, I'd have to disagree about using it for the mod. As DobroVece said, it still is a made up flag. As far as I'm aware, the main quality of this mod we all like so much and that was emphasised all the time, is it's historical accuracy (wherever possible). Now, using that flag (which, I repeat, is great ), would be making an error in terms of historical accuracy on purpose.

Even though I've been following development of this mod silently for between a year and two, I didn't participate much (the number of my posts tells it all), so I believe my opinion doesn't count for much, but I'd prefer to see the red and blue bicolored flag, and Nemanjic house CoA. I'm not competent enough historian (although I take much interest in history and try to learn as much as I can) to tell, but consider it with pure logic: even when Dusan started using the yellow flag, red and blue one probably wasn't thrown away immediately. So, whichever choice you take, you'll not be wrong.

If you really need to come up with a compromise, there could be other ways to do it. For example, there are different faction banners - captain banners could be imperial, and other ones could be represented by the old flag or something like that. That's just a suggestion, though, you pull the shoots, of course, but I think there should not be "fantasy" banners (no offense, Ampra; did I mention I liked that flag already? ).

Well if custom made flags are legal, then I'm up for it. Except, the eagle is kinda too perfect.

Edit:
    If you really need to come up with a compromise, there could be other ways to do it. For example, there are different faction banners - captain banners could be imperial, and other ones could be represented by the old flag or something like that.
    This is good, very good solution.
    Last edited by DobroVece; August 15, 2011 at 11:22 AM.

Well if custom made flags are legal, then I'm up for it. Except, the eagle is kinda too perfect.
    Agreed - up for it too. But I sincerely hope they would be "ilegal".

The whole flag is geometrically perfect, but I think that particular image is put there for ilustrative purpose only.

This is good, very good solution.
    Thanks, it's good to feel a bit useful around here for the first time. Now, if The Dudes would agree, I wonder...

Thanks, it's good to feel a bit useful around here for the first time.
    Welcome to my world

SerbianInfantry's Avatar Tiro

So we don't know what flag was used at that time as a state flag?

If you realy think red eagle on yellow is 'albanian' flag, then how about white eagle on red background?
    Personaly, I like the flag Ampra suggested. And if we don't know which flag WAS, then why is it bad to use this one, when any we put wouldn't be historiclal?

Kosovo is Serbia! If you don't believe me, read a book.

SpyrosM91's Avatar Despotes

Quote Originally Posted by SerbianInfantry View Post
    If you realy think red eagle on yellow is 'albanian' flag, then how about white eagle on red background?
    the modern albanian flag is the flag of skenderbey/kastriotis who adopted it from the romans... possibly (it is not absolutely sure though) the two headed eagle in roman flags was the "insignia" of commanders (in various colours and variations of course... the emperor had a golden one..)
    Proud Tsardoms Total War: Historian - Coder - Scripter - Mapper

Feomatar's Avatar Laetus

Phoenix, where did you get that yellow flag on the Dulcert's map?
    I look at it, and don't see yellow color, but rather white/silver/dirty white.
    On the first map, north is up, but flags are reversed.
    On the second, south is up, but the flags are OK.
    They say it was a custom in ME to flip the, maps:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...pside-down.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...no_Dulcert.jpg
    It seems that Serbian flag is a bit murky, but I think it's not yellow.
    Here it is zoomed:
    http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/9995/1339y.jpg

I vote Yes, chage it to Nemanjić CoA and Red-Blue Flag. Red eagle on the yellow background was a flag of Rascia (Raška) and of its rulling families. As for the period in Tsardoms TW is a period of Nemanjić as the ruling family of Serbia,a name given due to Raška spread of territory and its borders went far from the city of Ras,by which the old country was named after, it would be apropriate to use Nemanjić CoA. Different family (which is not THAT much important to changing the flag) but different country name and structure (kingdom and later on a tsardom). Its only my opinnion of course, but i would like better to see Nemanjić CoA and Red-Blue flag,and as i can see the poll,majority would too. Cheers,great job guys,hope there will be more and more info,cant wait for it to come out

SpyrosM91's Avatar Despotes

this is the bowl-plate of Dushan... it has the eagle of nemanjich.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Casa-Car-Dusan.jpg
    Proud Tsardoms Total War: Historian - Coder - Scripter - Mapper

Who can vote on this poll ??? When you will decide which flag will be used ??? My opinion is that because this is time when Dusan was a ruler you might use red eagle on yelow background

Everyone who is able to vote can. You'll be able to when you reach fifty posts, if I remember it well. Since the poll is not yet closed, I don't know if the Team made a decision so far. Someone from amongst the crew will probably pay heed to your question soon enough, though.

Alucard666's Avatar Civis

Wait, why do you want to change the flag? The red eagle in yellow background is historical to date, but I dont see why you guys want to change it, its perfectly fine by me IMO

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

have you not checked first post, its nicely explained tere, the final decision is up to our dear leader phoenix

This is my proposals for serbian flag if you decide to use flag with red eagle on yellow background.

Or you my use something like this combination :

You decide, we just make proposals

Here is that pictures

I have another suggestion, for flag use red-blue flag but for COA use red eagle on yellow background
    I think that it would be best, thank you for patience

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

on previous page, I think our historians agreed that this is not flag of Serbia but rather CoA of city of Durazzo ( Drač in Albania ), they also presented letters from Ragusa which describe Serbian flag as blue-red, and now suggest replacing old flag with red eagle on yellow background 8 which is btw alredy done ) with new flag which would either use Nemanjic CoA white eagle on red bacground or blue-red flag or some other combination...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast