Thread: Galatia

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Default Galatia

Ok, Id like to share some information on the galations I have recently learned, as I think many of you here will find the information intresting(atleast I hope so ).

First to understand the Galatians, we must understand their begginings.

The Galatians were part of the great La Tene(name of the culture) migrations that led celts into Greece, Asia Minor, and Italy.

The Galatians were orignally part of Brennus's Celtic horde that invaded Greece, however two leaders, Leonorios and Lutories lead them eastward across the Boshporus. There were three tribes and each of them got new lands in asia minor.

The Trocmi got the lands along the north coast, the Tolistobogii got lands around Pergamum and the Tectosages raided inland towns. The Galatians from this time on raided Asia Minor showing them first hand the devastation the Celts could bring. This all ended around 270 B.C when Antiochus raised an army and defeated the Celts in a massive battle. The battle was an easy victoy because Antiochus used something in his armies the Celts had never faced, Elephants. After the battle, the Galatians, migrated to the isolated highlands of central asia minor. In this home the Celts served as mercenaries to however would hire them, and terrorised the settlements near them. They had the city of Pergamum paying tribute to them till 230 B.C.

King Attulus of Pergamum defeated the Galatians and after that their role in history starts to diminish, however they continued to live as they always had. The ravaging days were truly over, but service as mercenaries continued, most notably in Eygpt. While some Galatians adopted Greek religion, remains prove that some still practiced the brutal Celtic Human Sacrifices. We have evidence that even up to sixth century A>D the Galatians mantained their own language. This is amazing that surronded by Greeks/Romans, the Galatians never would compromise their traditions. As one insription from 166 A.D says, "from ancestoral times, we have worshipped according to the ancient ways."

In the Galatians, I see a brave people who refused to give up their culture. Their story is one of an undying courage. Though they had many practices that are seen to be very negative, I believe we can all learn an important lesson from the Galatians. That through determination you can acomplish many things. I hope you guys liked this, if so read The Philopsher and the Druids, its where I got all this info.

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

How did they come to finally cease to exist? Was it through simple assimiliation until sooner or later they lost their identity with the migrations/invasions of Arabs and Turks into Asia minor (If the arab muslims reached into asia minor), or were they erradicated as carthage was?

Interesting stuff. Shows us that Celts were one of Europe's most stalwart of peoples, and though we lack the historical information granted to us with Rome and Greece, it seems like before these two superpowers and even during them, Celts were very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga
    How did they come to finally cease to exist?
    Actually, I think that there are some Turks with orange hair, signs of Celtic origin. Or, at least, I remember reading that somewhere.

"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." -Albert Einstein
    "All these places have their moments, with lovers and friends, I still can recall. Some are dead and some are living, in my life, I've loved them all." -The Beatles

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

The final fate of the Galatian people is a subject of some uncertainty, but they seem ultimately to have been absorbed into the Greek- and/or Turkish-speaking populations of west-central Anatolia.
    From wiki, I imagine their phate was much similiar to that of the Greeks in Asia Minor.

I did read once that some Galatians can still be found, maybe someone can varify this..

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY