Thread: "Ala I Gallorum et Pannoniorum Catafractata" Recruitment Locations?

Laetus

Default "Ala I Gallorum et Pannoniorum Catafractata" Recruitment Locations?

Hello!

My apologies if this has been asked before, I asked the priests of the google gods and they couldn’t give me a straight answer… but you know what these priests and prophets are like…

Anyhow, I was wondering where Ala I Gallorum et Pannoniorum Catafractata is recruited in Roma Surrectum II.

Big girl that I am, I reached 85 regions and in order to prepare myself for civil war, started to rule other provinces through the Roman Rebel Faction…who are essentially fulfilling the role of an eastern roman empire for me, governing much of Asia Minor, and Egypt.

I assume the Catafratata are recruited somewhere in the Eastern Empire. I hold Ephesus as a regional capital in Asia Minor, and am currently developing it to troop producing standard…I am still probably 13 turns or something away from that though.

Random information…and a little off topic…back on topic…

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind to check their Empires and let me know where they can recruit the Ala I Catafratata Gallorum. If I know set provinces where they are available for recruitment, I can trade some territory with my eastern brothers to start producing them.

Thanks,

Guy.

Default Re: "Ala I Gallorum et Pannoniorum Catafractata" Recruitment Locations?

One of the few places I remember recruiting Ala I Gallorvm was in that city just above Rhodes. It's call Halikarnassos or something like that.

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by likeriver View Post
    One of the few places I remember recruiting Ala I Gallorvm was in that city just above Rhodes. It's call Halikarnassos or something like that.

Thank you kindly man! That's right next door to Ephesus so I imagine I'll be able to train the heavy horse there also.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1984 View Post
    Thank you kindly man! That's right next door to Ephesus so I imagine I'll be able to train the heavy horse there also.
    Maybe. Although I've built up alot of military bases in asia minor and remember only a few select places actually recruited ala gallorvm. However, almost every city recruits a powerful cataphract archer which is almost as good. And believe me, you're gonna want them on your eastern campaigns. The standard heavy infantry is no match against parthian cataphracts.

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by likeriver View Post
    Maybe. Although I've built up alot of military bases in asia minor and remember only a few select places actually recruited ala gallorvm. However, almost every city recruits a powerful cataphract archer which is almost as good. And believe me, you're gonna want them on your eastern campaigns. The standard heavy infantry is no match against parthian cataphracts.
    All of the major eastern powers were taken out sometime ago by Pergamon / Pontus. I then conquered Pergamon and made it the eastern roman Empire. Pontus now rules...Persia, and 1/3 of asia minor.

I've got some spies in the area though, and Pontus doesn't really seem to be doing anything. To my surprise they have not attacked the eastern empire i set up. Their cities are generally undefended with little more of a token force holding towns which don't have stone walls. I'm not really worried about the east...at present...though I'd love Pontus to wake up.

The Sarmatians however are a bit of a worry. They've conquered modern Russia and have declared war on the germanic tribes remaining in northern / central europe. I've clashed with them a couple of times and discovered their horse archers / heavy horse are a different kettle of fish to the germans i've been fightng recently. That is partly the reason i started looking for Catafractata.

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1984 View Post
    The Sarmatians however are a bit of a worry. They've conquered modern Russia and have declared war on the germanic tribes remaining in northern / central europe. I've clashed with them a couple of times and discovered their horse archers / heavy horse are a different kettle of fish to the germans i've been fightng recently. That is partly the reason i started looking for Catafractata.
    Heavy horse are not ideal solution to fighting HA armies they probably aren't fast enough to catch them, rather you need something like Roxolani lancers if you can get them. The other way is to use standard archers who have a better range than HA. Of course, heavy horse are good for fighting heavy horse too.

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by ybbon66 View Post
    Heavy horse are not ideal solution to fighting HA armies they probably aren't fast enough to catch them, rather you need something like Roxolani lancers if you can get them. The other way is to use standard archers who have a better range than HA. Of course, heavy horse are good for fighting heavy horse too.
    Its for fighting heavy horse that I was hoping to use the Catfractata units. Horse archers i just take on with aux-archers interlaced between my heavy infantry units. My frontier is mostly river crossings anyway, so unless the Sarmatians come at me through the north sea coast, i should just end up fiting them at the river frontier.

Anyhow, thank you for feedback! I am hoping i've found a provence that can recruit them.

Just need to find the Legio III Cyrenaica now, i thought they'd be trained in Cyrene...but apparently not.

Alexandria is where I first recruited Legio III Cyrenaica.

the cataphracts are recruited in:

Sardeis, Halikarnassos, technically Ephesos but doesn't seem to work.

For some reason in my campaign, I can't get Ephesos to build beyond the Roman Fortress, which left me with no numbered legions there or the cataphracts...

very frustrating

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by chaplain118 View Post
    the cataphracts are recruited in:

Sardeis, Halikarnassos, technically Ephesos but doesn't seem to work.

For some reason in my campaign, I can't get Ephesos to build beyond the Roman Fortress, which left me with no numbered legions there or the cataphracts...

very frustrating
    humbug.

I suppose I just need to bite the bullet and fight the civil war. That or start again and conquer all of asia minor before gaul, germania and britain.

I'm actually not sure which would be easier, because last time i fought the civil war it was just as much of a slog as ..well...conquering the place from scratch really.

Anyhow, thank you for your help! Slightly gutted about ephesus but a dozen more turns and i should find out....ofcourse a dozen turns with an empire so big takes a while. So it might be later this week lol.