Thread: Top 5 reasons why XGM is brilliant

Default Top 5 reasons why XGM is brilliant

Top 5 reasons why XGM is brilliant:

Stability - For me, this is a big one, and no doubt to many others. What good is a mod that, while well researched and bursting with features, crashes every once in a while? Or requires memorizing certain game breaking bugs that pop up in specific situations?

It's certainly no fun in the long run to have to treat a game like The Soup Nazi, doing things in a particular way just so you don't suddenly get thrown out. Being able to confidently leave a campaign unsaved for a good number of turns, or to not have to check for any obscure "aftermarket" fixes to download unofficially, is a blessing - and XGM delivers.

User friendliness - One download, one install. Now that's more like it! As fantastic as some other mods are at what they do, it just tiring to have to sift through outdated download links, semi-hidden file packs that fix bugs, poorly written installation guides and dead links.

And not only is XGM a breeze to get and install, it's mod foldered and gives you a few important (not trivial and non pertinent) options to choose from. Again, very clear and simple, and an example for others to follow.

Doesn't fix what isn't broken - Ambition is good, but few people have the skill, time, and resources to truly and successfully break a game down and design it anew without hitches, imbalances and general amateurishness. Not to mention the right to edit the source code! As talented and dedicated that the RTW and Total War modding scene is, I personally have not found a mod that strays far from vanilla and still stays coherent and uniform.

Complicated tech trees, convoluted and CPU draining scripts, and an overdose of new designs ("feature creep", as it's called in the game developer world) may dazzle the player in the short term, but often turn out to conflict with the game structure that CA designed originally - and most importantly - from a standpoint of user functionality. The reason that XGM has endured and gained the considerable stamina it has in the RTW mod community, is because it respects the core of the game it's based on.

Expand the experience, don't transform it!

Historical accuracy, not historical obsession - In the eternal battle between real life history and game play considerations, it's easy to get lost. We all want a measure of historical plausibility in our Total War games, as after all, that's part of what made the series such a success over the years. However, some mod makers tend to take things much farther than that, and cram their creation full of hyper accurate units and unit types, factions, tech trees and traits. I disagree with this approach. The most effective way to create a dynamic and entertaining mod is to let balance and variety come first, and then fill in the history - not the other way around.

XGM, like other classic and timeless works, is built on this simple foundation that has proven itself over the course of many years. Even if a certain Hoplite unit didn't, say wield a spear overhand or underhand when fighting, or if an archer unit was from this or that region, it's irrelevant if it improves the game play and looks and feels plausible. If I can believe it as a representation of history, and it fits in with what you could imagine actually existed, then it readily trumps excessive historical adherence.

Just what's needed, and keep the good parts in. That's great design.

Continued support and development - Last but not least, is the huge benefit of consistent attention and updating from the author of the mod. Solid, bug free, and polished design takes time. Lots of time. Slowly but surely you get all the aforementioned parts in place, and achieve that elusive state of gaming greatness that induces a feeling of "home" in its players.

You know what I'm talking about. The feeling that there is a safe place out there, a place that can be trusted to instantly and reliably satisfy your cravings for conquest, glorious campaigning, devious scheming and mighty armies crushing the spirit of their vile enemies. A place that feels like visiting an old, dear friend that, while sharing many happy memories of the past, can still just a easily provide new ones every bit as joyful as the old.

XGM is that place.

Last edited by -Durango-; July 23, 2011 at 04:50 PM.
    Try my ETW mods: Interface Enhancement Mod

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Default Re: Top 5 reasons why XGM is brilliant

You should add to this small download size. Why use up 1.2gb of bandwidth downloading RSII when you can download XGM using only 60mb and have the awesome vanilla+1 experience?

Good list though .

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

I'm sure XC is the point 3 and still nice.

*even though the management is tad difficult compared to XGM*

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

tudor93's Avatar Primicerius

nice, +rep
    yep, XGM is a pretty good mod, my first mod in fact (whithout counting RS1.6,EB,XC: I played them for only 5-6 turns); I still play it (oh well I started playing it only 2 weeks ago)
    Īnfrānt nu eşti atunci cānd sāngeri,
    nici ochii cānd īn lacrimi ţi-s.
    Adevăratele īnfrāngeri,
    sunt renunţările la vis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedge Knight View Post
    You should add to this small download size. Why use up 1.2gb of bandwidth downloading RSII when you can download XGM using only 60mb and have the awesome vanilla+1 experience?

Good list though .
    Use bandwidth? That blows, man. IMHO it's tyranny to have to limit your downloading because of some arbitrary bandwidth cap. Though I'm sure RSII is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Strategos Lykos View Post
    I'm sure XC is the point 3 and still nice.

*even though the management is tad difficult compared to XGM*
    I'm definitely trying XC, sounds really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by tudor93 View Post
    nice, +rep
    yep, XGM is a pretty good mod, my first mod in fact (whithout counting RS1.6,EB,XC: I played them for only 5-6 turns); I still play it (oh well I started playing it only 2 weeks ago)
    Cool. Same here, just returned to RTW after a long hiatus (couple of years) and started with XGM a while ago. I have tried RTR and EB before, but this is simply the most well rounded and complete package out there, so I'm as happy as a kid in a candystore...

A toast to DimeBagHo for creating such an excellent mod!

tudor93's Avatar Primicerius

yep, you should try XC too, it's a really nice mod ! also you can check out this XC AAR, totally awesome http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=400392

other mods like RS and EB are just too overwhelming for me, so many building choices etc. .... XGM still has the vanilla feel but it's so much much better and fun, maybe later I'll install a big mod like RS2 or RTR
    Īnfrānt nu eşti atunci cānd sāngeri,
    nici ochii cānd īn lacrimi ţi-s.
    Adevăratele īnfrāngeri,
    sunt renunţările la vis.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

XGM will always have a place in my heart as the first mod I played. But even more so because of these 5 points. + rep!

Durnaug's Avatar Campidoctor

Good thread. I especially agree with the user friendliness - it provides quick access to features that are essential in overcoming bugs in the game engine. Thank the Gods for FD and PwtD!

I know the FD mod can be implemented in other mods but XGM wins out on the usability stakes because the feature is already implemented and easy to use.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Yes, very few mods manage to have the smooth yet sturdy feeling XGM has.
    DimeBagHo created a masterpiece basically on its own and kept refining it over the years, making XGM effectively a very good improvement over most RTW aspects without feeling overwhelming.

Over that, XGM also became an excellent base for other projects that often became full blown mods on their own (XC and DTW for example but rest assured there are others as well), offering different experiences for different tastes.
    In this and community friendliness XGM will always be unsurpassed.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

magraev's Avatar Biarchus

I have to put in my two cents - I completely agree, and XGM if the mod that strikes the balance best. I would probably like more features, but the price seems too great in the other mods (you know who you are). Those big mods offer lots of nice features, but also crashes, building trees you have to print out or guess, annoying limitations, etc.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Durango85 - I'm glad you like the mod. I have always aimed for those five points, though most of all what I aimed for was a version of RTW that I wanted to play.

I'm not surprised by people agreeing with this list - after all, don't we have impeccable taste?

DimeBagHo, Zarax: I have a little something that I'm working on for XGM and XC. I'll PM you in a short while.

And do not forget the awesome music. I still experience a frisson when I hear the Alexander theme in the menu page. Oh and the battle music from the same film! The mod oozes atmosphere.

More importantly, it has the Spartan Royal Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Durnaug View Post
    And do not forget the awesome music. I still experience a frisson when I hear the Alexander theme in the menu page. Oh and the battle music from the same film! The mod oozes atmosphere.
    What a coincidence. I you like XGM's music, and especially Alexander.......well, you're gonna love what I'm working on.

That, and much more

Quote Originally Posted by Durnaug View Post
    More importantly, it has the Spartan Royal Guard
    This..........is.............XGM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Durango85 View Post
    What a coincidence. I you like XGM's music, and especially Alexander.......well, you're gonna love what I'm working on.

That, and much more

This..........is.............XGM!!!!!
    Looking forward to it!

I agree with you,its really great mod.

I agree with the OP on all counts. I've played countless hours on this mod (updating every so often) & it is fantastic