Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Map Blog 3 - PSFs (8th Entry - PSF Script)

metsikhovne's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Map Blog 3 - PSFs (5th Entry - Italy)

so when the next screens are going to be published ?

I was looking through the old map blogs and noticed a lot of changes in the settlements in England, Scotland and Ireland, but not so much France. Just change your minds? Loving the previews guys. Moar!

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

It was easier to pull settlements from the UK because they are islands and the fighting is limited to that arena. If we had three more settlements on mainland Britain we don't feel (and testing proved this) to add anything to the game, especially now that we have the PSF feature - we just got tonnes of stacks churned out that couldn't go anywhere. In France, removing settlements would have a direct effect on all the other areas it is linked to. So Britain and Scandinavia got the most chop in our revisions. But mainland Europe had to be in context with each other, it took us a long time to get that balance right based on history, attributes of units and tech tree and titles etc

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Hey that's a very good idea, I will check with the guys to see if that's possible. That might just be genius!

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    What if you built in that information into the currently worthless advisor?...

Genius! Would +REP but I have to spread some around apparently :]
    Last edited by mynameisowen; August 16, 2011 at 01:33 PM.
    Looking forward to Dominion of the Sword
    PSN ID: mynameisowen; add me if you play GT5 or Battlefield.

Italy looks hot, good job.

As I understand it the PSF's are going to represent a whole bunch of things from major cities, to important castles, villages and strategic points on the map. Will the towns/cities/castles etc be developed to the point that they were in 1080ce? If yes will they change over time, or is this impossible? I understand some of these places were chosen based on the fact they became important during the first 100-150 years of the mods time frame.

Is it possible to script the game so that some places will develop as they did in real life? Of course this brings up the dilemma that the conditions leading to this development might not be brought about eh? Personally though I think it would be weirder for places not to develop at all but I'd love to hear some points to the contrary!

Thoughts team?

What evidence is there to prove the HRE COA had that red and white cross? Wiki says it was used from 1200 to around 1300 but i would like to see what sources DotS team has. I've looked at manuscripts and paintings which show the HRE imperial banner.
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

Giorgios's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Horseless Nomad View Post
    Will the towns/cities/castles etc be developed to the point that they were in 1080ce? If yes will they change over time, or is this impossible? I understand some of these places were chosen based on the fact they became important during the first 100-150 years of the mods time frame.
    I don't think it's possible. As I was the guy largely in charge of setting sizes and appearances for the PSFs, I can tell you they'll generally be at their "average" size for the twelfth and thirteenth centuries.

Hey guys, first of all great work, i'm a big fan of this mod and cant wait for it to come out, the PSF look great, a real challenge to conquer. However, i'm a bit confused over you'r choice of place names for England. Lundenwic, Norwic and Eorfowic are all Anglo-Saxon names, in the case of Eorforwic (York), that name had already been replaced by Jorvik by the 10th century. The Mod starts in 1080, 14 years into the Norman regime, yet you still use the old place names, these would still have been used by the Saxon peasants obviously, but not by the Norman ruling class. What confuses me then is why you'r using terms which the ruling class and official documents wouldn't have used, when it was my understanding that as 'the player' in total war games, you play as some form of omnipresent member of the ruling class.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMilburn666 View Post
    Hey guys, first of all great work, i'm a big fan of this mod and cant wait for it to come out, the PSF look great, a real challenge to conquer. However, i'm a bit confused over you'r choice of place names for England. Lundenwic, Norwic and Eorfowic are all Anglo-Saxon names, in the case of Eorforwic (York), that name had already been replaced by Jorvik by the 10th century. The Mod starts in 1080, 14 years into the Norman regime, yet you still use the old place names, these would still have been used by the Saxon peasants obviously, but not by the Norman ruling class. What confuses me then is why you'r using terms which the ruling class and official documents wouldn't have used, when it was my understanding that as 'the player' in total war games, you play as some form of omnipresent member of the ruling class.
    We are one of the oppressors. But communist ideology aside, you would be right in that saying. I never noticed it, but usually they said that they would use the ruling titles. So yes, that is odd.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    And don't Call me Shirley!

Quote Originally Posted by Cae View Post
    We are one of the oppressors. But communist ideology aside, you would be right in that saying. I never noticed it, but usually they said that they would use the ruling titles. So yes, that is odd.
    I was under the assumption that most of the place names will change, at least when new people conquer them, but also through the ages (hopefully anyway).

Yeah, they were supposed to change.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    And don't Call me Shirley!

Deutschland's Avatar East of Rome Mod Leader

Lol this north italy is the biggest mess i have ever seen. I doubt that the AI will be able to crack it ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutschland View Post
    Lol this north italy is the biggest mess i have ever seen. I doubt that the AI will be able to crack it ever.
    Exactly DotS have tons of great features and realizm and my only concern is that the enormous number of PSFs feature will spoil all that greatness and make it in fact unplayable for most of the players. There will certainly appear a good fellow who will make a 'less PSFs submod' (which technicly will be really easy to do) and here is another concern of mine - the DotS policy about submods is very strict and I'm afraid they may forbid releasing such sub mod as beyond realism from their point of view.... Though I really hope I'm wrong this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutschland View Post
    I think that's intentional.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

As for the names, we have always said that they will be in vernacular local languages and explicitly NOT the ruling class. Ownership changed often while the population and its language rarely. This is because region names cannot be changed during the campaign. The settlement names will change based on time and ownership. The timeline for York is this:

Eorforwic (1080) / Yorwic (1230) / Yorwik (1300) / York (1340) /

IIRC the Yorwic->York line is actually a Norman/Viking line while Eorforwic is a Anglo-Saxon name. They "unified" over the course of our timeframe as the Middle English emerged but it was not until 13th century when that language started to dominate over French in upper class. We have even considered making names etc. for England in French because quite a large portion of our timeframe it was their main language (official was Latin of course) and it would still be historically accurate. We have in the end chosen a compromise because we don't know the exact French they used (hardly Ile-de-France one) and to distinguish them from France. But there will be traces in names, titles etc. Anyway, notice that the name York prevailed only in about half of 14th century among the population!

As for the number of PSFs and that AI will never be able to crack Italy. Well as Slaytaninc said it is intentional and I certainly hope so neither AI nor player will be able to crack it. The regions there will be very wealthy and owning one or two will give you great benefits. Owning more or all of them will be very difficult though and not only because of the PSFs. In reality Italy was "cracked" only in 1861 so I don't see it as a problem if it will be impossible to crack in DotS. As was said many times this game is about recreating the history but in DotS within historical framework because for wild different courses of action there will be (and cannot be) simply no (any) content. That does not mean you still cannot take Spain as England and you will still be able to get the titles associated with Spain (like King of Iberia and somesuch) but it won't help you develop your faction towards its transition and new unlockable units/tech-trees/titles etc. For that you will have to satisfy historically set conditions (like owning certain regions, having high enough stats of your FL etc.). After all we believe that there are plenty of freeform mods out there so that different approach and gameplay is in order. And historical mod was most appealing for us - modders of DotS - as we hope will be for you the players.

And lastly for the submods. As much as we would love to incorporate every sub-mod idea we will see fit into the mod (as Hross said on few occasions) it won't be possible most likely. However the condition for any sub-mod to be historically accurate will be firm and permissions will have to be obtained to release them. We haven't spent years on one of most historically accurate mods ever created to have the legions of sub-modders tear it apart on their whim. I understand the frustration some of you may feel from the number of PSFs. Others from the vernacular names and yet others from missing wanna-be-historical-fantasy-unit. But then again, that's the frigging point of DotS! To give you the historical feel and same frustration as the contemporary rulers had in their faction and in certain places. Do you think that nobody ever wanted to conquer Italy in Middle Ages? Or that were able to erase Anglo-Saxon names in a decade? And I could go on. The answer is 'no' in every particular and the challenge DotS offer you to exceed the history and write your own despite all the recreated difficulties. Many of us I am sure though will simply enjoy the game playing "historically" as was always my main goal and the reason I devoted to this project in the first place - to see the historical game anachronisms-free and historically accurate (as much as possible anyway).

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    The regions there will be very wealthy and owning one or two will give you great benefits. Owning more or all of them will be very difficult though and not only because of the PSFs.
    This is very good

It always seemed to me that, on a map, states like Sicily and even more so Venice were very small (though i'm aware of the Guiscards having some land in Lombardy) and they had a go at the Byzantine Empire!

I presumed from this that italy must be heavily populated and the mercentile italian states extremely wealthy, this is backed up by what little history i know of medieval italy.

Also i like the Vernacular names!

PIPA and SOPA are “the equivalent of being angry and trying to take action against Ford just because a Mustang was used in a bank robbery.” - Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty_Matt View Post
    (though i'm aware of the Guiscards having some land in Lombardy) and they had a go at the Byzantine Empire!
    SCUM!

In regards to the place names, fair enough, as its local language you'r using to name the settlements then it makes sense.