Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Map Blog 3 - PSFs (8th Entry - PSF Script)

Default Re: Map Blog 3 - PSFs (5th Entry - Italy)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    As for the names, we have always said that they will be in vernacular local languages and explicitly NOT the ruling class. Ownership changed often while the population and its language rarely. This is because region names cannot be changed during the campaign. The settlement names will change based on time and ownership. The timeline for York is this:

Eorforwic (1080) / Yorwic (1230) / Yorwik (1300) / York (1340) /

IIRC the Yorwic->York line is actually a Norman/Viking line while Eorforwic is a Anglo-Saxon name. They "unified" over the course of our timeframe as the Middle English emerged but it was not until 13th century when that language started to dominate over French in upper class. We have even considered making names etc. for England in French because quite a large portion of our timeframe it was their main language (official was Latin of course) and it would still be historically accurate. We have in the end chosen a compromise because we don't know the exact French they used (hardly Ile-de-France one) and to distinguish them from France. But there will be traces in names, titles etc. Anyway, notice that the name York prevailed only in about half of 14th century among the population!

As for the number of PSFs and that AI will never be able to crack Italy. Well as Slaytaninc said it is intentional and I certainly hope so neither AI nor player will be able to crack it. The regions there will be very wealthy and owning one or two will give you great benefits. Owning more or all of them will be very difficult though and not only because of the PSFs. In reality Italy was "cracked" only in 1861 so I don't see it as a problem if it will be impossible to crack in DotS. As was said many times this game is about recreating the history but in DotS within historical framework because for wild different courses of action there will be (and cannot be) simply no (any) content. That does not mean you still cannot take Spain as England and you will still be able to get the titles associated with Spain (like King of Iberia and somesuch) but it won't help you develop your faction towards its transition and new unlockable units/tech-trees/titles etc. For that you will have to satisfy historically set conditions (like owning certain regions, having high enough stats of your FL etc.). After all we believe that there are plenty of freeform mods out there so that different approach and gameplay is in order. And historical mod was most appealing for us - modders of DotS - as we hope will be for you the players.

And lastly for the submods. As much as we would love to incorporate every sub-mod idea we will see fit into the mod (as Hross said on few occasions) it won't be possible most likely. However the condition for any sub-mod to be historically accurate will be firm and permissions will have to be obtained to release them. We haven't spent years on one of most historically accurate mods ever created to have the legions of sub-modders tear it apart on their whim. I understand the frustration some of you may feel from the number of PSFs. Others from the vernacular names and yet others from missing wanna-be-historical-fantasy-unit. But then again, that's the frigging point of DotS! To give you the historical feel and same frustration as the contemporary rulers had in their faction and in certain places. Do you think that nobody ever wanted to conquer Italy in Middle Ages? Or that were able to erase Anglo-Saxon names in a decade? And I could go on. The answer is 'no' in every particular and the challenge DotS offer you to exceed the history and write your own despite all the recreated difficulties. Many of us I am sure though will simply enjoy the game playing "historically" as was always my main goal and the reason I devoted to this project in the first place - to see the historical game anachronisms-free and historically accurate (as much as possible anyway).

This post reminds me why, for the past two years, I've checked this forum almost every day; now I'm even more convinced that DotS will be the greatest historical mod ever seen. Thanks! +rep

as simulating the Almohad invasion? and how it start?. to conquer Toledo Castilla y Leon. Taifa kingdoms to be represented by rebels make the peninsula there is only Christian kingdoms

sorry for my bad english

That post really made me happy. I am really looking forward at my attemts to clear some of those areas and feel a sense of real accomplishment. It's so much more realistic. My favorite faction are Byzantines, and it seems this game will really deliver the feeling of slow, methodic advance, similar to campaigns of Basil II. and Ioannes Komnenos. They fought for decades for something players in MTW2 can achieve in a few turns.

Now reclaiming Anatolia with Romans will really feel like a great victory.

Similar how HRE emperors endlessly tried to pacify Northern Italy but players can do that without trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Perdicas View Post
    as simulating the Almohad invasion? and how it start?. to conquer Toledo Castilla y Leon. Taifa kingdoms to be represented by rebels make the peninsula there is only Christian kingdoms
    Hi, Perdicas. From what I've understood, there will be a game-script that will make some of the rebel cities go over to the Almohads (possibly when attacked by Christians?), which would give the Almohads a foothold in Iberia. But someone from the team will know better.

Cyprian2 thanks, I figured something like that. but I was wrong in the question that I referred to the Almoravids who came to the aid of the Taifa shortly after the kingdom of Castile conquered Toledo in 1085

Just from the time I've spent testing my scripts and systems, I can assure everyone that the AI does know how to work with the PSFs. Sicily, Pisa, and Milan were already taking whatever rebel forts they could find within the first two turns. They can move through the provinces, and they get pretty aggressive.

And N Italy will be EXTREMELY wealthy. I've been working on a lot of new guilds and trade systems. The Venetians will be able to build a trade empire throughout the Mediterranean, conquering islands and ports that affect the income of your homeland and your ability to develop. They will have their cash.
    Last edited by Gonzo Rationalism; October 07, 2011 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rationalism View Post
    Just from the time I've spent testing my scripts and systems, I can assure everyone that the AI does know how to work with the PSFs. Sicily, Pisa, and Milan were already taking whatever rebel forts they could find within the first two turns. They can move through the provinces, and they get pretty aggressive.

And N Italy will be EXTREMELY wealthy. I've been working on a lot of new guilds and trade systems. The Venetians will be able to build a trade empire throughout the Mediterranean, conquering islands and ports that affect the income of your homeland and your ability to develop. They will have their cash.
    Nice.

Schweeeeeet!!

PIPA and SOPA are “the equivalent of being angry and trying to take action against Ford just because a Mustang was used in a bank robbery.” - Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian

cisse's Avatar Civis

Looking forward to the next map entry, the Lowlands. Should be pretty crowded as well, and I suppose it's a bit more of a challenge to make the region as wealthy in the game as it was in RL (since naval commerce isn't readily accessible in the game, like it's in Italy).

Miles

When will there be another map blog?

I would like to see how Scandinavia will look like.
    In in the stainless steel mod Sweden is way to fat.

Looking forward to the next map entry, the Lowlands. Should be pretty crowded as well, and I suppose it's a bit more of a challenge to make the region as wealthy in the game as it was in RL (since naval commerce isn't readily accessible in the game, like it's in Italy).
    Shouldn't be that much harder. The region will be able to build river ports and establish wool trade routes with England and HRE. It will also have guild-like systems that allow you to develop textiles production and compete with the Hanseatic cities.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Which I'm personally really looking forward to seeing!

Default Re: Map Blog 3 - PSFs (6th Entry - Holy Roman Empire)

At the long last new entry is up in the first post! Holy Roman Empire this time.

Next will come either rest of central Europe (Bohemia, Poland, Hungary) or Scandinavia.

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

Looks great as usual, guys! Keep up the good work!

Fantastic work ! cant wait to play

Good god they're everywhere

TaronQuinn's Avatar Semisalis

Holy Cow! that is a lot of PSFs. I am comforted by the team's assurances that the forts will be well-balanced, useful, and not a hindrance to gameplay, especially since they will provide income to their owners. But still! The HRE is just covered with the blasted things.

I assume most of them, or at least a good proportion will not be actual castles or settlements and will be fought as field battles? Otherwise, I'm building an half-stack of catapaults and trebuchets and marching it with me wherever the Kaiser goes haha

TQ

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Of course, these are control points and income bases not siege magnets. So we are clearly nuts about historical accuracy but we will never abandon gameplay -and common sense!!!

Awsome work on HRE! The map is so sexy!