Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223

Thread: Map Blog 3 - PSFs (8th Entry - PSF Script)

Default Re: Map Blog 3 - PSFs (8th Entry - PSF Script)

Fantastic.

Will it's value change? PSF's might loose their economic value relative to proper settlements if they stagnate and settlements grow through time.

Diodredai's Avatar Tiro
    Budapest, Hungary formerly Melbourne Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Stark1 View Post
    Fantastic.

Will it's value change? PSF's might loose their economic value relative to proper settlements if they stagnate and settlements grow through time.
    Unforunately their size and income cannot change over the course of the game. The estimated value of a PSF is determined by our team using historically accurate data throughout the DotS timeline, as per say we might not have much knowledge of a settlement in 1080, however in 1161 we have some data that is was an important commercial hub, then we assign greater value to such settlements, therefore the income of a PSF is based on real history, even if that might not come to pass in DotS (I.E a Byzantine settlement that was important in 1080 but razed to the ground by Ottomans a few centuries later would still be prominent, there is a lot of room left for interpretation, and we will see the endgame result in the beta if some PSFs need to be balanced).

Creator of the Unoffical DotS FAQ thread
    "Sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine" (translation: "Lord save us from the arrows of the Hungarians")
    Creator of the Share your musical heritage! thread in the DotS forums

The map has been finished.

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

Fantastic !
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    Best news I've heard all year

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    great!

mayotte's Avatar Civis

Congratulation !!!

Suspicious, do you have any proof of that? ()

Landil's Avatar Tiro

To give some nuance to this statement, please note that this means that the map is fully textured and such, things like PSFs are by no means finished. This is also one of the reasons why we are somewhat reluctant to release more previews of the map, because if we show you part of the map now, it's very much possible that it has been changed a week later. But who knows? Maybe soon you'll have some tasty map preview to enjoy, that's up to Resurrection to decide :p

I'm more excited about this than Rome 2!
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

It was a tough call, but until EB3, this trumps R2
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    And don't Call me Shirley!

Has an Iceland previewed been released? Just want to see how it is like!

Has an Iceland previewed been released? Just want to see how it is like!
    Iceland was in the TWC Preview

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

I like the whole PSF idea representing castles and/or fortifications, albeit maybe you should limit the number of PSFs tied to a region. As things stand, the PSFs make the map look overcrowded and monotonous. Besides, it was always the field battles and river crossings that held greatest appeal and excitement (at least for me personally). Aesthetics aside, it seem the campaign is going to be far too 'siege heavy'!? While historical context is great, an emphasis on game balance/entertainment is just as important.

HTVfanatic's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyfer View Post
    I like the whole PSF idea representing castles and/or fortifications, albeit maybe you should limit the number of PSFs tied to a region. As things stand, the PSFs make the map look overcrowded and monotonous. Besides, it was always the field battles and river crossings that held greatest appeal and excitement (at least for me personally). Aesthetics aside, it seem the campaign is going to be far too 'siege heavy'!? While historical context is great, an emphasis on game balance/entertainment is just as important.
    IIRC a lot of the PSFs will actually be field battles. Only the major towns and castles will be sieges. Maybe a DOTS member can clarify further, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by HTVfanatic View Post
    IIRC a lot of the PSFs will actually be field battles. Only the major towns and castles will be sieges. Maybe a DOTS member can clarify further, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.
    That's right. The idea is that the PSF will still be on the battlemap, but in the periphery of it rather than smack in the center as usual. So they will be more or less regular field battles.

The only problem is that the team needs to find someone who can make those maps. I was going to do it, but then I realized this stuff is out of my league/skill level to do. It's not as easy as going into the battle editor, IIRC. There are more technical processes involved.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

Quote Originally Posted by atheniandp View Post
    That's right. The idea is that the PSF will still be on the battlemap, but in the periphery of it rather than smack in the center as usual. So they will be more or less regular field battles.

The only problem is that the team needs to find someone who can make those maps. I was going to do it, but then I realized this stuff is out of my league/skill level to do. It's not as easy as going into the battle editor, IIRC. There are more technical processes involved.
    Thanks for explaining this! I was wondering how the PSF battles will play out. I'm starting to feel bad for the DoTS team: they have the highest standards for every aspect of their mod, but the amount of work is simply staggering, and they are only a small team.

My two cents regarding the PSF battles:

The minimum required imho is to have three base battle maps for the PSFs: village, fort, and city. A village battle would simply be a field battle. For forts and cities, walls are present and therefore we have a siege battle.

I'm sure the team has probably spent hours and hours on this topic alone, so sorry if what I just said is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by atheniandp View Post
    Won't that lead to small garrisons being shredded to dust by larger armies? One unit vs 20 won't be a long battle in any scenario, but in village without walls (so no siege is necessary) they can at least fight on town square or some bottleneck so they aren't so outnumbered or cut into bits by archers.

Well, that's actually realistic.

C

Quote Originally Posted by raven63 View Post
    Thanks for explaining this! I was wondering how the PSF battles will play out. I'm starting to feel bad for the DoTS team: they have the highest standards for every aspect of their mod, but the amount of work is simply staggering, and they are only a small team.

My two cents regarding the PSF battles:

The minimum required imho is to have three base battle maps for the PSFs: village, fort, and city. A village battle would simply be a field battle. For forts and cities, walls are present and therefore we have a siege battle.

I'm sure the team has probably spent hours and hours on this topic alone, so sorry if what I just said is irrelevant.
    That was not an official statement from the DotS team though, since I'm not a part of it. But I do know for sure from my correspondence with a few of the guys that they have that planned.

In fact, every PSF has the potential to be its own custom created battlemap. That's right! So the idea of seeing villages and castles as PSF is very possible, and actually one of the first things on the list.

But don't get too excited... the amount of work to eventually create a custom map for every PSF will be tremendous and seen a long while after the first release.

Won't that lead to small garrisons being shredded to dust by larger armies? One unit vs 20 won't be a long battle in any scenario, but in village without walls (so no siege is necessary) they can at least fight on town square or some bottleneck so they aren't so outnumbered or cut into bits by archers.

I'm not the team's official spokesperson, so I don't have the answer for this. You bring up a good point. But if it turns out to be as I described, it will still be possible to enter and leave any settlement, even if it isn't in the center of the map.

If you want an example of how that works, play Fourth Age for RTW. They have a historical battle in which an entire city is actually on the periphery, and the battle's objective is to get your army to the town, all the while ambushed by the enemy.

If that's possible in the RTW engine, it must work similarly with M2TW.