Thread: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Default Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q. Where can i download this mod?
    A. The first beta version of the mod will be released by the end of July 2011 or beginning of august. If you dont want to wait or if you want to help with testing, you can get the development version of the mod which is open to the public from here.
    http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.p...tml#msg4110417

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    There is also an alpha version released last september. But that version is outdated now and is no longer supported, so we are not providing a link to it.

Q. I'm getting RGL error font.dds not found while loading! (or any other .dds file)
    A. Turn textures on demand ON.

Q. Will you add faction 'insert faction name here'?
    A. Except for Venice(which may be added or integrated into an existing faction) no new factions will be added.

Q. Did you disable text messages such as casualty reports, damage, etc?
    A. No, the game will shut those off if there is too much 'spam'. Press L to see those messages. Playing with cheat mode or edit mode enabled also enables a lot of debug messages which will cause this issue.

Q. In campaign view, the game stutters, especially when resting/camping/being captured?
    A. There are 31 factions in the mod (while native has only 6), there is much more processing going on, it does slow the game down. This is also one of the reasons why no new factions can be added.

Q. I'm crashing when saving a game?
    A. This is a known warband bug. The latest warband patch 1.143 has fixed this issue.

You can ask any other questions you have, in this thread, and we will try to answer them

Crashes

Kinsume from the taleworlds forums wrote this, read this if you are experiencing crashes/lag heavily.

Alright so I'm making this topic in order to prevent the same questions from being asked over and over again. Post under it when you get a CTD or Heavy Lag. If it's a CTD try to explain in detail what you were doing when the crash happened. Include things such as your ingame settings and such. For the heavy lag please include your ingame settings as well as your Pc specs.

Causes

1. For Windows Vista/7 Anything above a 2 ghz processor, 2 gigs of ram, and 512mb. Windows xp is pretty much the same with a bit more leave way in terms of ram requirements. (Laptops require even more, unless its a laptop built specifically for gaming with high end specs a laptop performs horribly for gaming)

2. Having "Textures on Demand" not checked in the configure settings. (For every PC)

3. Having "Force Single Threading" not checked in the advanced settings. (Primarily for dual or quad core PC's)

4. Putting Ragdolls and Corpses to unlimited. (10 Ragdolls/40 Corpses or less is usually what you want)

5. Having your battlesizer over 200. (I suggest only going above 150 for PC's that exceed the specs I stated above)

6. Having your performance % under 100%. (The better the game looks, the slower it will run)

7. Having background programs running. (This eats up a ton of memory even if they aren't being used. Also M&B gets real anal when you alt + tab out of the game and typically crashes)

8. Having Anti-Aliasing on anything other than off/none. (For a game with graphics like M&B's this doesn't really do anything anyways, but your PC thinks it does and will still use massive amounts of video memory to try and make it work)

9. Having Edit mode selected in the advanced settings. (Only use this for debugging and never for actually playing the game)

10. You installed the mod incorrectly and screwed something up. (It happens sometimes, deal with it)

Potential Fixes

1. Battlesizer to 100 or less. (Will help performance and CTD's)

2. Video settings to "Low". (Will help performance)

3. Using Direct X7. (Looks crappy but helps low end PC's alot)

4. Use the "Start Windowed" option in settings with 800x600 resolution. (Will help performance)

5. Set max frame rate to 80. (The human eye can only see 60 fps tops anyways, and that's with perfect vision. Having it set to a high number just because your PC can do it isn't always a good idea)

6. Completely uninstall M&B and delete all files/registry files and do a fresh install. (Sometimes files become corrupted for whatever reason)

7. Turn off your networking and anti virus when you play the game, if you're using a hardcord for your networking unplug it from your PC just incase. (This will free up memory, which the game uses a ton of)

This is what I've experimented with during my time playing M&B. I personally use a 3ghz dual core, 4 gigs of ram, 2257mb video memory, and windows 7 64-bit. I never CTD, I don't lag in the battle maps with max settings and 250 battlesizer, and I have slight stutter on the World Map.

No matter how good your PC is, you will get stutter/lag on the World Map. This is due to the game's engine processing so many scripts constantly, and there is nothing you or Othr can do to fix that minus removing alot of features.

If you are getting errors that show up with the red text, go into the notes and screen shot it then place it on the bugs board. More than likely it's an error in your installation because I have yet to see another one since this last patch.

If you get a CTD and it gives a pop-up with what caused it to crash take a screen shot of that and place it on the bugs board.

If after going through the above post and you still have crashes, then try this fix posted by TEI from the taleworlds forums.

If you have a 32bit operating system refer to points "1. Fixing" and "2. Adjusting VM".
    If you have a 64bit operating system refer only to point "2. Adjusting VM".
    If you have a crash while launching the game (or a skybox error) refer to "Early crashes".

Early crashes:
    If you're having a crash at the very beginning of your voyage (right after killing the bandit, after arriving to a town, while loading the mod etc.) then:
    - if you're crashing while the game is loading or just after clicking any of the buttons in the menu then you:
    a) have to tick the "Load textures on demand" in Configuration settings (however, it works for few people without having it checked. for me it used to crash before loading everything up).
    b) have to re-download the mod (maybe the installer got corrupted during or after the download)
    - if you have modded the files somehow - revert to original. Sometimes editing the files can screw few things up.
    - ATI video card owners may have problems with their visuals in the game (with or without this fix). Try reverting to 10.5 or 10.6 version of graphic drivers.
    - for some people it's about skyboxes errors. Refer to this thread for a fix.

Things to do before:
    Before using this solution make sure that your hardware drivers are up to date (if ATI - read above), same with DirectX. It would be good to have OS updated as well, however it is not mandatory (as long as Microsoft won't make another patch messing everything up). Also, if you're using any kind of program/plug-in modifying your boot file (like Bootskin for example), this solution may not work - deactivate it and try then.

Description:
    Probably many of you get crashes while saving a game, sometimes during or after a bigger battle, switching screens (like while going to tavern, etc) or just about 10-20 minutes of playing. It is a fairly common problem with this mod, but there are people who never crash, so the only probable reason was OS or hardware specific. I've been cross-checking issues like that (mainly about saves) with other games and found out a nice solution at JoWood forums. Seems to work - I've asked one of this board's member, Earende, about applying this solution and it worked out nice. Few friends of mine say that it works for them too. I've played for 2 hours yesterday (on Vista) and quit by myself without any crashes so it does seem like a legit solution.
    Feel free to comment if you're having problems - I'll try to answer the best way I can. I check this thread every day, so...

! ! ! Using this solution involves editing system settings so watch out what you're doing ! ! !

Explanation:
    If you're running a 32bit operating system and get the crashes while saving or otherwise dumping a lot of memory usage then it is most likely because of the fact that 32bit operating systems only provide an address space of 2GB to every user process running. It means that whenever memory usage for 1257 (filled with lots of textures) goes sky rocket it most likely exceeds 2GB and then you get the crash. The way to avoid crashing is configuring your OS to give more address space to process.
    The fix is pretty easy, as it is described, and can be represented in two points:
    [list type=decimal]
    [li]"Fixing", which is basically making the operating system to put more memory into a single process.[/li]
    [li]"Adjusting VM" (Virtual Memory), which is needed to be set correctly.[/li][/list]
    Skipping any of those two points may most likely change nothing so be sure to apply both of those solutions (64bit OS users do only the adjusting, without the fix). If this workaround will make more harm than good (unlikely to happen) then refer to "Reverting the process" section.

1. Fixing
    (32bit OS only)

Windows XP

• [li]Menu Start -> Run, type sysdm.cpl and press ENTER[/li]
      [li]a window should open, go to tab Advanced -> Startup and Recovery Settings -> Edit[/li]
      [li]at this point you're editing your boot.ini file. Don't mess things up.
      Look for the line with your operating system mentioned and add "/3GB /USERVA=2990" without quotes. Should look like this:
      [operating systems]
      multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB /USERVA=2990
      just add only the "/3GB /USER...", don't erase or add anything else as it may corrupt your booting file[/li]
      [li]save changes and reboot[/li]

Windows Vista / Windows 7

• [li]
      • [li]if you are running as an Administrator go to Menu Start -> Run, type cmd and press ENTER[/li]
        [li]if not go to Menu Start -> Programs -> Accessories, press RMB on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator[/li]

[/li]
      [li]in Command Prompt type "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2990" without quotes and press ENTER[/li]
      [li]reboot[/li]

2. Adjusting VM
    (32bit & 64bit OS)

(Thanks Tina for reminding me about VM)
    [size=10pt]This solution probably won't work if your RAM and Virtual Memory summary is lower than it should be. You can't do much about RAM (well, if you have cash then you can do much about it) but you can change the values of VM.[/size]
    Known problems with changing the VM settings:

• [li](XP) boot.ini file doesn't exist - there are three possibilities here: first one is that you don't have the administrative privileges to edit the file; second one is that the file, for reasons unknown, actually doesn't exist; third one is that the file is hidden. Solution to the first problem is logging in as an administrator user. Second one is described → here ←. Solution to the third problem is setting the folders to show hidden and system files (I really don't know what will it change but was suggested by some people, so - try it out), but I don't remember where do you change that in XP and Vista so refer to system help (press F1 on your desktop).[/li]
      [li]can't set the VM values over 4096 MBs (4GBs) - most likely the drive you are trying to use for the swap file space is formated with FAT32 file system. This allocation forbids to use files bigger than 4GBs. You'll have to use a hard drive or partition formated with NTFS file system.[/li]
      [li]also, have in mind that we are talking about disk space, so make sure that you have enough disk space to be used as VM[/li]

Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (or at least I think that the route is the same in each of these systems)

• [li]Menu Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced[/li]
      [li]Performance -> Settings[/li]
      [li]Advanced tab -> Change
      The tricky part is setting the values right. Microsoft suggests (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417 , Step 2) to set the minimal value as 1.5x of your RAM and maximal value as 3x your RAM (so if you have, for example, 2GBs of ram then minimal is 3.5GBs and max is 6GBs... so that's 3500MBs and 6000MBs). There's plenty of topics on the web with performances results and such revolving around this subject so... Google.[/li]
      [li]Save, reboot[/li]

Reverting the process
    It may happen that using this fix will make some pieces of software to work differently than before, deviate in some way or produce and error. Luckily, this solution is completely revertible. If you want to get back to your previous settings, then:

Windows XP

• [li]Menu Start -> Run, type sysdm.cpl and press ENTER[/li]
      [li]a window should open, go to tab Advanced -> Startup and Recovery Settings -> Edit[/li]
      [li]at this point you're editing your boot.ini file. Don't mess things up.
      Look for the line with your operating system mentioned and erase "/3GB /USERVA=2990". Should look something like this:
      [operating systems]
      multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
      erase only "/3GB /USERV...", don't delete anything else[/li]
      [li]save changes and reboot[/li]

Windows Vista / Windows 7

• [li]
      • [li]if you are running as an Administrator go to Menu Start -> Run, type cmd and press ENTER[/li]
        [li]if not go to Menu Start -> Programs -> Accessories, press RMB on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator[/li]

[/li]
      [li]in Command Prompt type "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2048" without quotes and press ENTER[/li]
      [li]reboot[/li]

Last edited by ntb_15; July 23, 2011 at 11:38 AM.