Thread: Spread out empire?

Default Spread out empire?

Hey, I've had a look at multiple mods to use for some videos I want to make and I think that XC would be best for me It doesn't stretch too far from Vanilla, and I like that

But for my campaign I had a rather...'wacky' idea in mind where I would like to play as a faction such as Germania, expand into what would be today Russia and from there have a really spread out empire. Taking over all of the smaller nations, so my empire wouldn't actually be all connected.

For example I would have Russia, then have territory in Spain, in the area where Numidia would be etc. My goal is to eliminate all the smaller factions and then head out for the larger factions, it makes no sense I know but it's an idea a friend of mine and myself came up with that we fought could end up being rather fun and it also lets me experience the variety of all the factions all at once

Now, to get to the point. Does the whole "Distance to the capital" and public order become increasingly difficult? If so, am I able to mod it easier so I am able to achieve my goal without it being stupidly hard?

If not, I'll happily listen to any other suggestions for a campaign or just play it out normal :V

Edit: And for a bonus, may I ask what 'AOR' stands for?
    Last edited by Ungotter; July 23, 2011 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Here comes the bonus

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Spread out empire?

AOR (area of recruitment)
    AOR units are only recruitable from a certian area and sometimes not by all factions (eg greek hoplites from greece, gallic cavalry from gaul, indian elephants from India).
    The public order does get difficult but not impossibly so, the real problem will be the different cultures as you head east.
    You now made me want to start a shycthian campaign for some reason to see if i cant re-create past glories.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "Me? Ruin? I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruinee! Or is it ruinness? Ruinette?"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"
    "Oh my gosh. Hold on to your hooves – I am just about to be brilliant!"

Quote Originally Posted by martin616 View Post
    AOR (area of recruitment)
    AOR units are only recruitable from a certian area and sometimes not by all factions (eg greek hoplites from greece, gallic cavalry from gaul, indian elephants from India).
    The public order does get difficult but not impossibly so, the real problem will be the different cultures as you head east.
    You now made me want to start a shycthian campaign for some reason to see if i cant re-create past glories.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Impressive campaign, and thank you for explaining! So my idea of having a REALLY, REALLY spread out campaign is pretty doable?
    I mean I would've imagined having somewhere in Gaul my capital and then having another part of my empire in Libya making them really pissed.
    But you're saying the only thing I need to do is make sure I tend to the cultural differences? Shouldn't be too hard.

The distance thing is bad but compared to culture it is nothing and both are pretty easy to combat.
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"

Total Roach's Avatar Ducenarius

Ungotter: You will need to get the hang of the Government system and the colonies very quick if you are going to attempt this. Demolish the existing govt. level in any captured settlement and build military occupation, this will stop all riots providing you have at least some garrison presence. After MO is complete you have the option of making the settlement allied or fully colonising it. Making it allied is probably your best bet as you are likely to be moving fast, this will allow you access to local troops which once you get to the higher level of Auxiliary Barracks can be pretty awesome units. If you decide to go down the path of colonising you will be able to get access to your factional roster, however this takes time, I suggest you level a settlement under MO whilst you build the 1st level of colony, this will allow you to convert the populace to your culture with no threat of revolt (how awesome is that!!!) once done you can progress through the levels of govt. and colonies and build a fully fledged factional settlement.

Make sure you make all captured enemy capitals Allied Tributary, (settlements have monuments in which have the end of it's description saying something like it's loss to that faction would be disastrous). This is because you take corruption penalties for each monument capture (think they are fair on the latest build, still testing I think)

Anyway good luck!

If I think of anything else I'll edit the post

GeoHitmanGR's Avatar Ordinarius

IIRC Distance penalty is capped at 80 so after a while the distance will not matter.
    However some areas have some pretty nasty basic unrest penalties so you be prepared.

Good luck man.

Quote Originally Posted by Total Roach View Post
    Ungotter: You will need to get the hang of the Government system and the colonies very quick if you are going to attempt this. Demolish the existing govt. level in any captured settlement and build military occupation, this will stop all riots providing you have at least some garrison presence. After MO is complete you have the option of making the settlement allied or fully colonising it. Making it allied is probably your best bet as you are likely to be moving fast, this will allow you access to local troops which once you get to the higher level of Auxiliary Barracks can be pretty awesome units. If you decide to go down the path of colonising you will be able to get access to your factional roster, however this takes time, I suggest you level a settlement under MO whilst you build the 1st level of colony, this will allow you to convert the populace to your culture with no threat of revolt (how awesome is that!!!) once done you can progress through the levels of govt. and colonies and build a fully fledged factional settlement.

Make sure you make all captured enemy capitals Allied Tributary, (settlements have monuments in which have the end of it's description saying something like it's loss to that faction would be disastrous). This is because you take corruption penalties for each monument capture (think they are fair on the latest build, still testing I think)

Anyway good luck!

If I think of anything else I'll edit the post
    Thanks! And thanks to the other posters
    May I ask what an MO is also? I'm not down with the kids y'see.

And yeah sounds like I'm going to need some luck, may need to tone it down a little bit in places. I'll see what works best though, still actually need to play the mod :v But all this is quite a bit off, so I have some time to rethink it^^

MO is military occupation.
    Dont forget to post your campaign in the "show your petty kingdom" thread, we need more people there.