Thread: Concerning historical accuracy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Concerning historical accuracy

Concerning historical accuracy

I am making an update for the early romans as the maille texture I used looks more like that of a later period. I will also change some shields and maybe add a new unit or two, so you have some new stuff to look at.

screenshots soon!

Our Corinthian helmed greeks are set in the period of the Persian wars, and with 8 greek factions its impossible to take the whole greek set of units through the myriad of historical transformations leading up to the post marian roman era.

That said there’s a good chance we may use one of the later open faced helm types in an upcoming update.

Generally speaking; rather than making ’fictional’ units we try to do the same as in films and find an average ~ and indeed we attempt to make many units graphically similar to some films. In a game with clone units, limited animations and the impossibility of actual historical accuracy ~ due to there being such a vast set of real-life variations, I don’t see too much wrong with that.

We welcome your input on this.

Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Concerning historical accuracy

Will there be proper hoplite formations?

Depends what you mean? there are already overhand anims in the game for those who want that look, I prefer the underhand ones. If enough people ask for them than I’ll change them, but to make them work properly they need the BI shield wall feature which makes the units look really small, and also makes them very strong [we had problem enough with their strength as they are now]. I like to fill as much of the battle map as possible so the battles look more epic.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Dont remove the corinthian helms.. their epic (or at least leave a couple of units with them xD)

Im ok with both hoplite formations.. but shield_wall makes the battle more epic when you zoom xD

Yea I like the Corinthian helms best too, I think I’ll keep the greeks as they are and if we got any slots left add a late build of other styles.

I’ll look into making an overhead anim version of the next update.

Indefinitely Banned

Yeah I meant by proper hoplite formation I meant this

pharoah this is viking style battle not solid hoplite formation

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

...you do realise that of all post-Roman European battle styles, that of the Vikings resembles Ancient Greeks the most? They were more disciplined than you might think.
    Last edited by Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze; July 23, 2011 at 04:21 PM.

lol... i mean the rage of the battle... fighting 1 vs 1 and not in packs... i know vikings were trained/disciplined soldiers.

Indefinitely Banned

No it's hoplte formation they use the over hand it's the closest thing to the actual hoplite on the rtw engine
    Last edited by Pharoah; July 23, 2011 at 06:21 PM.

You dont get it. Nevermind.

Yes that’s the problem, when the overhead phalanx animations are used the phalanx formation doesn’t work, and the men fight individually rather than remaining in a tight pack.

I don’t know if this still applies when the shield-wall formation is used in BI?

I’d be happy if someone can tell me if it does? I think some other mods use it.

Well sometimes even with shield_wall some men will leave the phalanx-formation(at the front line) and will just go rambo into the enemy lines xD(usuallly this happens when in guard mode)
    But no, most of the men will stay in formation.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

AS is right concerning shield wall, as I played XGM on BI for years and dealt with overhand hoplites. The front line might fan out a bit, but the majority of them stay in formation.

So what’s the overall verdict? I still think the vanilla rtw phalanx is the tightest, but it requires the underhand anim. I am open to persuasion tho, if you guys think its worth loosing tightness in order to have overhand anims, then so be it.

Personally I cant imagine how men could hold spears above their heads for hours on end ~ do we know for sure this is the historic way?

Secondly, I want to make late units with perhaps attica helms or whatever they wore during pre-marian roman times? Would such later greeks use the overhand anim or underhand as like Macedonians?

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    So what’s the overall verdict? I still think the vanilla rtw phalanx is the tightest, but it requires the underhand anim. I am open to persuasion tho, if you guys think its worth loosing tightness in order to have overhand anims, then so be it.

Personally I cant imagine how men could hold spears above their heads for hours on end ~ do we know for sure this is the historic way?
    I think it's safe to say most people will want the overhand spears, but we could do a few units with underhand anims and thureos-type shields to represent the Iphakratean phalanx.

Secondly, I want to make late units with perhaps attica helms or whatever they wore during pre-marian roman times? Would such later greeks use the overhand anim or underhand as like Macedonians?
    I would like to see them using the underhand anims to represent the gradual adoption of the Macedonian phalanx by all southern Greeks.

ok mate, we'll do that

NO PLEASE dont i love the phalanx the way it is GIVE PEOPLE A CHOISE ATLEAST i wont get the next sparta total war if you do